PDA

View Full Version : What is this haircolor? (picture)

firevegan
June 14th, 2017, 06:01 PM
My sister has never dyed her hair but she is itching for a change. She doesn't want to stray away too far from her natural hair color (medium ash brown) so she just wants to lighten it up a bit. She found a picture on the internet of the exact shade she wants.

I've been looking at color charts and I can't find this exact shade and we don't know what to call it. We looked at ash blonde and beige blonde and light browns but we still can't define this particular hair-color, and wouldn't know what to ask for at a salon and also if she decided to dye it with a box dye we wouldn't know which one to pick. Can you help us define this exact shade? Or find a picture of one just like it?

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u485/Softestmusic/51c29fab-89e0-4f14-b541-ca8674287f7e_zpsit37votb.jpg?t=1497396556

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u485/Softestmusic/51c29fab-89e0-4f14-b541-ca8674287f7e_zpsit37votb.jpg?t=1497396556http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u485/Softestmusic/206ca424c1a326d929e52aa1614b396f_zpsv0axwz3b.jpght tp://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u485/Softestmusic/emilio-pucci-autumn-fall-winter-2013-mfw22_zps2du5ts7r.jpg
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u485/Softestmusic/cara-delevingne-at-emilio-pucci-fall-winter-mfw-661171294_zps0g9zkeht.jpg

Dendra
June 14th, 2017, 06:23 PM
That's a tough one because I think it looks like a beige, ashy blonde, which is what you've already said.

Hopefully someone else can think of something more helpful! It is a lovely shade, very neutral but not flat looking.

Not that it's related but I think this is a wig.

cat11
June 14th, 2017, 06:57 PM
Dirty blonde is what we call that color in the states. I had that color a long time until my hair darkened when I got older.

PixieP
June 14th, 2017, 07:01 PM
I don't think the whole thing is a wig, but those are absolutley clip on bangs. I have never seen her with bangs like that, and image search confirms that this seems to be the only occasion she has it (she looks lovely with it though)

You won't be able to get this colour with box dye. Box dye will give you one completly uniform colour. This hair has darker ad lighter shades mixed together that combines into this colour. That's how you can see that the bangs are clip-on; look how much flatter the colour is on them compared to her lengths. (you can find even more pictures by google image searching for cara delevingne bangs)

If you go to a hairdresser, it will be expensive and require expensive upkeep. Your sisters hair will first need to be lightened, and then toned, and then probably need some lowlights too. Even though your sister has a cold tone on her hair now, just lightening (bleach) will bring out warm tones, and thus you need to tone, in other words more dye, on top. Lowlights are like highlights, but dark; sections of hair gets handpainted in a slightly darker tone to add depth and make it look more natural.

ETA: Also, how the colour looks in those pictures might not be right. Here's another pictures from the same runway walk:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/f0/de/31/f0de314ed4f3b932963341d9ee953126.jpg

The light/editing is different and so the hair colour looks completly different too.

Corvana
June 14th, 2017, 07:22 PM
It's a dirty or dark blonde for sure! Getting it with darker hair will probably require some bleach.

firevegan
June 14th, 2017, 07:32 PM
I don't think the whole thing is a wig, but those are absolutley clip on bangs. I have never seen her with bangs like that, and image search confirms that this seems to be the only occasion she has it (she looks lovely with it though)

You won't be able to get this colour with box dye. Box dye will give you one completly uniform colour. This hair has darker ad lighter shades mixed together that combines into this colour. That's how you can see that the bangs are clip-on; look how much flatter the colour is on them compared to her lengths. (you can find even more pictures by google image searching for cara delevingne bangs)

If you go to a hairdresser, it will be expensive and require expensive upkeep. Your sisters hair will first need to be lightened, and then toned, and then probably need some lowlights too. Even though your sister has a cold tone on her hair now, just lightening (bleach) will bring out warm tones, and thus you need to tone, in other words more dye, on top. Lowlights are like highlights, but dark; sections of hair gets handpainted in a slightly darker tone to add depth and make it look more natural.

Thank you for all of the information. It was very informative. Yeah, I thought it was a wig at first and also thought it was just really cool lighting and that the color wasn't really possible, it still looks good in those other pictures though. But yeah, wow you know a lot about hair, I am completely clueless to what "flat hair" is, can you give/show me an example? I also have no idea how you can see the clip in bangs haha. That two tones hair thing sounds very beautiful.

It all sounds like a lot of trouble. I was reading about something called babylights and was thinking of just convincing her to get those. Are those expensive too?

firevegan
June 14th, 2017, 07:35 PM
I was also going to ask, would this be a similar color? It lifts, tones, and colors it I think https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91reqaRMKHL._SL1500_.jpg

Would this be flat? (not sure what that is)

Kellylee
June 14th, 2017, 09:37 PM
It's warm medium blonde.

cat11
June 14th, 2017, 09:50 PM
I was also going to ask, would this be a similar color? It lifts, tones, and colors it I think https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91reqaRMKHL._SL1500_.jpg

Would this be flat? (not sure what that is)
I know it says it lifts, but I would not trust it. Unless you bleach hair dye works like watercolor and if your sister's hair is darker than that it will be very dissapointing :(

Deborah
June 14th, 2017, 11:24 PM
On my computer it looks like light brown.

SnowDancer
June 15th, 2017, 12:32 AM
Could be dark ash blonde.

MidnightMoon
June 15th, 2017, 03:25 AM
Looks light brown to me as well, but as Pixie pointer out, in your photos it looks a bit ashier, whereas in her pic it looks more golden.

Siv
June 15th, 2017, 03:51 AM
Found a page on hairmag.org describing dirty blonde as:

"Dirty Blonde hair color is probably the most natural and most frequent of shade of blonde as most natural blondes have this shade. Dirty blonde is actually a natural blend of medium beige blonde with light golden reflects and a hint of ash although some of its darker variations appear more golden brown than blonde."

Which could help explain why her hair looks so different in different pictures, I guess.

Cara Delevigne's hair colour is described as "3-toned dirty blonde shade with subtle beige blonde lowlights"

It all kind of just confirms what previous posters have said, just expressed in a different manner :) not sure how good of a source hairmag.org is, I just figured I'd post it in case anyone was interested.

- source (http://www.hairmag.org/hair-color-ideas/dirty-blonde-hair-color-chart-pictures-ideas-ombre-highlights/)

lapushka
June 15th, 2017, 06:23 AM
That is a typical dark ash blonde. I would post your own pictures, though, no "comparing" your hair to pictures on the internet (because you can be way off).

Could you post a picture of your own hair?
And are you in fact asking if that is a good color to use? Dangerous, with pictures that are not your own!!!

LadyCelestina
June 15th, 2017, 10:19 AM
I would NOT trust a light brown box dye. They are notorious for turning black! I can send you before afters of my sister who dyes her hair black/darkest brown with lightest brown box dye as a precaution :D

PixieP
June 15th, 2017, 12:57 PM
Thank you for all of the information. It was very informative. Yeah, I thought it was a wig at first and also thought it was just really cool lighting and that the color wasn't really possible, it still looks good in those other pictures though. But yeah, wow you know a lot about hair, I am completely clueless to what "flat hair" is, can you give/show me an example? I also have no idea how you can see the clip in bangs haha. That two tones hair thing sounds very beautiful.

It all sounds like a lot of trouble. I was reading about something called babylights and was thinking of just convincing her to get those. Are those expensive too?

When I say flat, I mean that box dye will dye the hair all in 1 colour, there will be no natural variation, so the colour ends up looking flat and unnatural. In un-dyed hair you will have lots of varations. My husband has medium blonde hair, and when you look his hair is all sorts of shades mixed, some strands are medium brown, some are sunbleached almost white, it all combines to a natural colour with lots of depth and interest. A permanent box dye erases all that and leaves the hair all in 1 colour, no variations. Think of it like paint; every strand of hair is painted the exact same colour. So it will look artifical and fake.

The best thing your sister can do, is take those pictures to a hairdresser and talk with them. They will tell you if it's possible or not. But I have years of experience with home dye, and salon dye, and I tell you, you can not get that colour at home, and any attempt to get it will probably lead to very damaged hair and your sister needing to visit a salon regardless to fix it.

LadyCelestina
June 16th, 2017, 12:16 AM
^Except this might very not be her natural hair. If you look at other pictures of her, it's clear that it's a dye/highlight on what seems like a natural dark blonde base.

If your sister is anywhere in the dark blonde/medium brown range, then you should ask a hairdresser for highlights/balayage ombre and they can tone it to that honey-ish brown colour the model has. If it's darker naturally, I'd go ask a hairdresser anyway. You can attempt this at home, but it may not look exactly as you want it to look.

Ondine11
June 16th, 2017, 11:19 AM
Looks like dark ash blonde, on my computer; leaning towards light ash brown. Very pretty & natural-looking.

kinnyuu
June 16th, 2017, 02:20 PM
I am a natural dark blonde and this is the color mine is.
Sometimes I use lemon or https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Bum-Formula-Lightener-Highlighting/dp/B01N6NTZLK/ref=sr_1_2_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1497644402&sr=1-2&keywords=hair+lightener to get my hair a little lighter for summer!

Alex Lou
June 16th, 2017, 03:11 PM
A permanent box dye erases all that and leaves the hair all in 1 colour, no variations. Think of it like paint; every strand of hair is painted the exact same colour. So it will look artifical and fake.
I always see people say that, but my box-dyed hair retains natural variation. I have everything from blond to dark auburn. I think it depends more on how much you change your color. If I have some strands that are brown and some that are blond and the box dye lifts both 1-2 shades and deposits some color, then I still have 2 different colors. For the same reason, a blond and a brunette using the same box will not end up with the same shade.

Dark40
June 16th, 2017, 09:08 PM
It's dark blonde for sure!

laidy
June 17th, 2017, 11:19 AM
To me it looks ashy blonde, but I think it would be safest to print out, compare the shade to your computer screen and directly ask the hairdresser of your choice. Good luck!

meteor
June 17th, 2017, 11:36 AM
I think it's likely to be level 7 - 7.5 ? Judging by the last 2 photos, maybe even level 8 ? :hmm: Honestly, it's a bit hard to tell without comparing to photos with outside light: blonde and "blonette" hair is notorious for looking very different in darker and artificial lights.

mistythebandit
June 24th, 2017, 04:35 PM
dirty blonde/mousey brown?

AndreaNOR
July 4th, 2017, 12:38 PM
I would definitely go to a hairdresser, this is probably one of the most complicated colors to achieve with box color