PDA

View Full Version : Braids/buns for thin/fine hair

mshizzleceba
June 14th, 2017, 05:45 AM
If there is a thread(s) out there that goes through tips on doing braids and buns for thin/fine hair, please point me to it! Looking for tips on updos for this hairtype. I struggle with braids when my hair is dry. Not so bad when its wet. When my hair is dry I end up doing backcombing for top knots, which works ok sometimes. My hair is between SL and APL. I'm trying to avoid hot tools so I need good advice on how to style my hair without looking like crap all the time. TIA

Simsy
June 14th, 2017, 05:59 AM
Have you tried fluffing the braids out? You can do something similar with buns as well. You can also braid in parandas to give a bit more mass, I'm pretty sure there is a thread for these. I would ease up on the back combing, since that won't be doing anything good for your hair in the long wrong.

Something else to consider, a lot of thick-haired folks would love less hair to try and deal with. What you have is beautiful hair, a bit easier to handle and work with. Small buns and tiny, detailed braids can look just as good or better than big buns and thick, rope-like braids. Some styles, like double buns, can look a little ridiculous on thick hair because there is too much hair; so you have a whole world of options available to you, simply because you have fine/thin hair. You can also do styles at shorter lengths, simply because you have less hair to try and wrap around itself. I couldn't make a decent cinnibun until well after waist; and they still look weird on me.

By all means, fluff and puff your hair. Do what makes you happy with it, you have to live with it. Just a outside perspective from someone with thick hair.

lizardspots
June 14th, 2017, 06:05 AM
There are a few buns that are loosely wrapped, so that thin hair isn't completely compressed into a tiny peanut bun. But I don't know if you'll be able to do them on APL length hair. Worth a try! My go to buns are "lazy wrap" and "nautilus". With braids, you can try wearing a paranda to add thickness and weight.

lithostoic
June 14th, 2017, 08:10 AM
Not sure what buns you can do at your length and thickness. Maybe a small cinnabun? Would need several pins, I imagine. Maybe a peacock twist would be better. Or even a French twist.

I wore double braids a lot between CBL and APL. Rope braids were my go-to because there's only 2 strands, so they don't require a lot of length.

Ease up on the backcombing. It causes breakage.