PDA

View Full Version : Silicones?

kinnyuu
June 13th, 2017, 08:21 PM
Just bored and wanted to make a post.
Who here thrives off of cones and who doesn't?
My hair is medium thickness, kinda wavy, and does best with cones and nightly braiding.

What's your favorite hair routine to achieve healthy, soft hair?
I know some people hate silicones in their conditioners, but I've heard a lot of things about it working wonders for some (me being one of them).

Aredhel
June 13th, 2017, 08:36 PM
I try not to rely on them, but without them my hair gets ridiculously tangled if I so much as walk briskly...;) One of my conditioners has cones, and I have a coney detangling oil that I use on just my ends every other day if my hair becomes too uncooperative. :)

Robi-Bird
June 13th, 2017, 09:04 PM
My hair needs cones both for frizz and for combability. I haven't found oils do much for me but silicone serums are gold to my hair.

school of fish
June 13th, 2017, 09:20 PM
Mine does best with a small daily dose of a thick rinse-out conditioner that contains light silicones :)

Larki
June 13th, 2017, 10:20 PM
My hair doesn't care either way. I switch between cones and conefree with no difference.

MoonRabbit
June 13th, 2017, 10:24 PM
I love cones. I tried going cone free and my hair started to break like mad.

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 13th, 2017, 11:57 PM
I don't notice too big of a difference between cones and no cones. My hair gets breakage either way.

hayheadsbird
June 14th, 2017, 12:42 AM
I tend towards cone free these days. Easier to avoid the build up. I find the first wash or two using cones will be wonderful, then it starts to act a bit weird. I'd prob have to clarify 2/3 times a month if I used them often.

Garnetgem
June 14th, 2017, 01:40 AM
I tried cone free but my hair or scalp did not like it...for one i shed like crazy when i attempt to use it and i get major tangles and hair has no shine..i like using cones makes hair easier to manage but after a few washes it goes limp with cones,i just clarify every month and all is fine..

Dendra
June 14th, 2017, 03:09 AM
My deep conditioner is full of cones and leaves my hair like silk. I also have a leave in spray and oil which have cones in. Whatever detangles your hair and gives you slip is a good thing, never mind the marketing!

Carochinha
June 14th, 2017, 03:21 AM
Okay, I'm going to take over this post and be a noob. What are cones? Why are they important? What does all of this mean?
`
Thank you!!! :)

Dendra
June 14th, 2017, 04:00 AM
Cones are silicones, which often the main active ingredient in conditioners and other products used to make your hair feel silky soft and moisturised. If you look at the ingredients in hair products you'll see things like dimethicone or cyclomethicone, for example.

Some people don't like them, but some find their hair is much happier and more manageable when using products containing silicones. Maybe someone who doesn't like them will weigh in and let you know why, but you can always search the forum for 'cones' or 'silicone' and I'm sure you'll learn a lot!

ghanima
June 14th, 2017, 04:37 AM
One thing about silicones is that a lot of products in the market now have them so, unless one has a particular dislike for them, why complicate things?

Simsy
June 14th, 2017, 04:51 AM
Coney over here, I have enough hassles getting my curls to behave without making life even harder. That, and most of the cone free options where I live seem to be the cheaper ranges; which my hair has an ongoing disagreement with.

WavyWannabe
June 14th, 2017, 04:54 AM
I don't use cones, but I think my hair isn't any different from when I used a conditioner with silicones. I stopped using them for environmental reasons, since (unless I'm wrong of course) cones can be quite polluting to produce.
However, if my hair had decided to go awry with no cones, I would have returned to them despite that. There are many things that are way more polluting than silicone production for hair products, and I do want nice hair.

lapushka
June 14th, 2017, 06:50 AM
I use silicones in everything except preferably (if I can help it) my shampoo. I have SD (seborrheic dermatitis), so have to be careful of what goes onto my scalp (no conditioner, or oils in any case).

TatsuOni
June 14th, 2017, 07:29 AM
I've been cone free for many years and love it. Even more does my hair love to be free from the sulphates needed to wash cones out. (I CO-wash)

Anje
June 14th, 2017, 07:55 AM
I get this weird effect from some silicones (seems like it's mainly dimethicone + cyclomethicone or pentamethylsiloxane ones) make my hair lovely for a day, then it gets drier and drier and the ends kink and start to tangle badly. I haven't had that problem with amodimethicone or bis-aminopropyldimethicone, but aside from those two I tend to avoid silicones because of the dryness. My hair has enough slip without silicones anyway, so I keep them pretty minimal.

olivetime
June 14th, 2017, 08:23 AM
Everytime I try to stop using cones, I start to hate my hair. I keep a coney conditioner on hand :)

likelikepenny
June 14th, 2017, 08:59 AM
I get this weird effect from some silicones (seems like it's mainly dimethicone + cyclomethicone or pentamethylsiloxane ones) make my hair lovely for a day, then it gets drier and drier and the ends kink and start to tangle badly. I haven't had that problem with amodimethicone or bis-aminopropyldimethicone, but aside from those two I tend to avoid silicones because of the dryness. My hair has enough slip without silicones anyway, so I keep them pretty minimal.

My hair does this as well. It's like I need silicones in such small doses. For instance, I'll use a coney conditioner on top of my non cone one every two months after clarifying.

WildandSeawhite
June 14th, 2017, 10:07 AM
A while back, while I was researching online about cones, I came across this very informative breakdown that someone posted on Reddit about the different types of cones and their capacity for build-up. I found it very helpful, because I can't handle anything weighing down my hair and making it more greasy. I definitely wanted to make sure I avoided the Group 4 types.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HaircareScience/comments/1woutk/all_about_silicones/

Right now, I have a moisturizing masque and a heat protecting cream that both contain silicones, but I think they only have cones from Group 3. I don't use these products very often. My scalp is very sensitive to most sulfate shampoos that I would need to wash out the build-up.

kinnyuu
June 14th, 2017, 10:42 AM
Very interesting! Thank you!

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 14th, 2017, 11:21 AM

If I may ask, what conditioner do you use? Everything I find has demthicone, I can't seem to find just 1 conditioner without it. I can't tell if demthicone is hurting my hair but I feel like my ends have this same effect, day one is great but Day 2-3 is kind of dry and tangled. I use cruelty free products only too which can be a little difficult to find 0 demthicone in too for some reason.

Arctic
June 14th, 2017, 11:38 AM
I prefer my hair without, I like how it feels and behaves better with conefree products. I also have started to suspect that maybe cones cause my ends to form fairy knots - some conditioners do this to me and some do not. I've never been able to pinpoint the ingredients, but possibly it's good old cones. Also just recently I noticed a coney spray detangler made my hair oily super fast.

Anje
June 14th, 2017, 05:20 PM
If I may ask, what conditioner do you use? Everything I find has demthicone, I can't seem to find just 1 conditioner without it. I can't tell if demthicone is hurting my hair but I feel like my ends have this same effect, day one is great but Day 2-3 is kind of dry and tangled. I use cruelty free products only too which can be a little difficult to find 0 demthicone in too for some reason.
Typically, Suave Naturals Aloe & Waterlily. (The coconut has protein, beyond that scent is mostly personal preference.) I'll occasionally rotate in Herbal Essences Hello Hydration when I want a bit more weight and slip.

MoonRabbit
June 14th, 2017, 06:07 PM
A while back, while I was researching online about cones, I came across this very informative breakdown that someone posted on Reddit about the different types of cones and their capacity for build-up. I found it very helpful, because I can't handle anything weighing down my hair and making it more greasy. I definitely wanted to make sure I avoided the Group 4 types.

Right now, I have a moisturizing masque and a heat protecting cream that both contain silicones, but I think they only have cones from Group 3. I don't use these products very often. My scalp is very sensitive to most sulfate shampoos that I would need to wash out the build-up.

This is very interesting.
-------

I've been trying to understand the different properties of Aussie 3mm Moist and Herbal Essence Hello Hydration. Many people, including myself, have discovered that our hair loves Aussie but really acts out when using HH.

Aussie ingredients not found in HH
-Cycolopentasiloxane- Group 1 Evaporative Silicone.
-Stearamidoproply Dimethylamine- A cationic surfactant derived from rapeseed. Water Soluble, it binds to the surface of hair, gives slip without build up. Unknown if it penetrates hair shaft.
Also contains Dimethicone. According to the list "Dimethicone (unless in the presence of a cationic ingredient, then Group 3)" So I guess these two are type 3??
-Glutamic Acid- A building block of Protein. Used in personal care, to act like a buffer for the skins Ph, also acts as a humectant, and used for a hair conditioning and reduce static.
- Aloe Extract
- Kelp Extract
-Jojoba Seed Oil

Hello Hydration Ingredients
-Behentrimopropyl Chloride- A waxlike cleaning/ conditioning cationic agent made from colza oil. Does not coat the hair, does penetrate hair shaft. Can also act as a preservative.
-Bis-Aminopropyl Dimethicone- Group 3 Semi water soluble. Some have no build up, while others experience easy build up.
-Corn extract
-Orchid Mascula Extract
-Coconut Extract

So I wonder if my hair is sensitive to Bis Aminopropyl D-cone. Because HH builds up so fast on my hair and causes it to act out.

WildandSeawhite
June 15th, 2017, 09:42 AM
-------

I've been trying to understand the different properties of Aussie 3mm Moist and Herbal Essence Hello Hydration. Many people, including myself, have discovered that our hair loves Aussie but really acts out when using HH.

-Stearamidoproply Dimethylamine- A cationic surfactant derived from rapeseed. Water Soluble, it binds to the surface of hair, gives slip without build up. Unknown if it penetrates hair shaft.
Also contains Dimethicone. According to the list "Dimethicone (unless in the presence of a cationic ingredient, then Group 3)" So I guess these two are type 3??
-Glutamic Acid- A building block of Protein. Used in personal care, to act like a buffer for the skins Ph, also acts as a humectant, and used for a hair conditioning and reduce static.
- Aloe Extract
- Kelp Extract
-Jojoba Seed Oil

-Behentrimopropyl Chloride- A waxlike cleaning/ conditioning cationic agent made from colza oil. Does not coat the hair, does penetrate hair shaft. Can also act as a preservative.
-Bis-Aminopropyl Dimethicone- Group 3 Semi water soluble. Some have no build up, while others experience easy build up.
-Corn extract
-Orchid Mascula Extract
-Coconut Extract

So I wonder if my hair is sensitive to Bis Aminopropyl D-cone. Because HH builds up so fast on my hair and causes it to act out.

I used HH a few years ago, and on top of irritating my scalp, I found that it dried my hair out more long term. At first, I loved the shine and softness that it gave me, but then it started becoming drier, more unmanageable, and was breaking easily.

My DH uses Aussie shampoo (I don't think it's the 3mm Moist), and I've used it a few times. I didn't have an issue with it.

Maybe you could try rotating in a clarifying shampoo once a week?

Off topic: I saw your signature and laughed out loud! I love Hitchhiker's Guide. :D

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 15th, 2017, 11:39 AM
Typically, Suave Naturals Aloe & Waterlily. (The coconut has protein, beyond that scent is mostly personal preference.) I'll occasionally rotate in Herbal Essences Hello Hydration when I want a bit more weight and slip.

Ah, that one is never in stock in any stores of mine. And I refuse to pay shipping for a 1$ bottle of conditioner lol I tried

Wreckinbelle
June 15th, 2017, 11:49 AM
Until joining LHC in May I had no idea that silicons could be a good things. I had always understood them to be a bad thing for your body. I still used products with them anyway.. heh heh. But just recently switched to cone free and I can't believe the difference in my hair! Its just so soft and wonderful now. I was struggling with tangles, wireyness and breakage and no longer have any of those issues. It's only been a few weeks so we'll see how it goes!

MoonRabbit
June 15th, 2017, 11:57 AM
I used HH a few years ago, and on top of irritating my scalp, I found that it dried my hair out more long term. At first, I loved the shine and softness that it gave me, but then it started becoming drier, more unmanageable, and was breaking easily.

My DH uses Aussie shampoo (I don't think it's the 3mm Moist), and I've used it a few times. I didn't have an issue with it.

Maybe you could try rotating in a clarifying shampoo once a week?

Off topic: I saw your signature and laughed out loud! I love Hitchhiker's Guide. :D

I'm a weekly washer so I usually clarify once a month.

I'm just curious as to why HH is so bad for some members hair. It seems we all have different texture, thickness. It could be a porosity issue.

Maybe I'll experiment more with different brand conditioners with a similar formula as HH, to see if it is in fact an ingredient or just the full formula causing the issues.

: You should always know where your...microfiber....towel is. Ahh bad hair joke :p

beneaththetrees
June 15th, 2017, 12:05 PM

This is super informative! Thanks for linking it!

lapushka
June 15th, 2017, 03:24 PM
Silicones aren't bad, but you have to be prepared to live by some rules, aka: clarify regularly. Otherwise, it's not going to work. I wash weekly, clarify weekly (sometimes + lengths, sometimes - lengths) and I have never ever had issues with dry or brittle hair. I *love* HE HH. It is my favorite. Lately I have been using a cone-free argan oil mask by Kyrell (Aldi) and it is a good replacement. Sadly, I'm down to my last 4 tubes of it now. I bought a year's worth supply when I saw that argan oil was the 3rd ingredient on the list and the ingredient list was clean and short! It is really wonderful. But generally I don't mind the silicones. :D

wispe
June 15th, 2017, 03:48 PM
My hair is okay with 'cones far as I can tell, but my scalp is much happier when I ditch sulfates - so I use neither and my hair is totally happy these days. When I originally went sulfate-free I was still using 'cones, but I clarified monthly. After I quit bleaching my hair and stopped clarifying as often, I found I needed to quit 'cones or I'd get build-up quicker than I wanted to clarify. My hair is fine and has a lot of slip naturally, so I don't see benefits from using cones that I can't get without them. My conditioner is heavy and rich, and I use a tiny bit of oil to seal moisture at the ends. Right now the only product I use that has cones is my serum (which I use the smallest amount on the ends only, since they're worn and have the least 'slip'). After a few months is usually when I'll notice my ends aren't feeling right anymore, so I'll clarify everything and be good again.

Natashap
June 15th, 2017, 11:25 PM
I love conditioners but my scalp is oily so i just deep condition once in a while.

Light conditioners for me only .

Any conditioner makes it greasy looking.

I always apply it on my scalp for some reason.

likelikepenny
June 16th, 2017, 04:30 AM

-------

- Aloe Extract
- Kelp Extract
-Jojoba Seed Oil

-Corn extract
-Orchid Mascula Extract
-Coconut Extract

My hair loves aussie moist and hates HEHH. Are there any drugstore conditioners with water soluble cones? I've searched the internet but all the suggestions (tresseme naturals, garnier triple nutrition) have been discontinued or reformulated with level three or four cones.

lapushka
June 16th, 2017, 05:15 AM
I find it so fascinating how different hair reacts to different conditioners. :D

I can't find the Aussie moist in my country, but I did find the 3 minute reconstructor (€8.99 OMG) and I can use it as a first conditioner in WCC but not as a second, so it's not like my HE HH at all for me. Now the moist, I can't say, I haven't tried it yet. It might be just as good, for all I know.

Liminally
June 16th, 2017, 06:39 AM
I'm pretty sure all of my hair products contain some form of silicone, mostly my conditioners and after-shower leave ins. This used to be out of necessity because the journey from black hair to Snow White hair was not a pretty one...there were many casualties. If my hair is feeling dry or otherwise upset during the week I'll use a hair oil spray of some kind (I have a hair gloss from BPAL and a hair oil from three ravens co) that contains cyclomethicone - but only on my lengths/ends, never near the scalp.

I notice my ends get dry and frizzy midway through the week as well (I'm a weekly washer, bi-weekly if I'm being brave) but I've always attributed that to the fact that my hair is almost always braided.....you all have made me paranoid :lol:

Dark40
June 16th, 2017, 07:50 PM
My hair loves and needs cones and silicones. I know it really works wonders for my hair leaving it soft and healthy! They also give my hair a beautiful shine as well!!! My hair has no problems with them at all.

Joyful Mystery
September 18th, 2017, 11:48 AM
I haven't used silicones in almost a year. I don't think my hair is fond of them. I hated having to deal with build-up and because I have skin sensitivities, it was hard to clarify. My hair is much happier now.

lunasea
September 18th, 2017, 02:02 PM
I kinda have this same effect with cones. Might be because I only use the stuff on my badly damaged ends. I'm completely obsessed with BPTP gloss because of the scents. Pretty much the only reason I use cones. I find myself oiling over the cone after a couple days.

Dark40
September 18th, 2017, 08:52 PM
I love cones and silicones in my hair! If I don't use them I always end up with frizzy hair. Cones and silicones gives my hair lots of shine, and it helps my hair to look and feel healthy and soft.

Garnetgem
September 18th, 2017, 09:51 PM
I have replied to this thread before at that point my scalp was happy with cones..now though i am unsure as i have waxy sebum and prone to clogged follicles and i feel cones is adding to my problem..but as i said before i was shedding with no cones but then again it could have been the build up on my scalp that was causing the shedding..not sure what steps to take next,will see...

GalaMoon
September 19th, 2017, 03:02 AM
I am, without doubt, a silicone fan. After reading various threads on here, I realized I have high porosity hair, so I think cones help with sealing in the moisture and protecting my ends. I've started using only products with amodimethicone, I've read it doesn't build up like other cones do, I also alternate between sulphate-free shampoo and regular shampoo just to be on the safe side. Never used a clarifying shampoo in my life, didn't feel like a need it.

Snackpackdino
September 19th, 2017, 08:09 AM
I don't mind the cones, but I'm not really after them either. I tend to use the shampoos and conditioners that make my hair clean, smooth and easy to brush... some of them contain silicones and some don't.

The only thing I avoid is putting a silicone including conditioner on my scalp, that will leave me feeling messy.

MusicalSpoons
September 19th, 2017, 09:42 AM
I no longer use silicones, and my hair has a completely different texture than when I did (by default, as they were in all my conditioners and some in shampoos, and I knew nothing about haircare so just used whatever smelled nice and left my hair squeaky clean - i.e. stripped clean :shrug:) Now my hair has life and body and actually isn't too slippery to do anything with!

The reason I stopped using silicones was because I wanted to go sulphate-free, to try to stop my hair being greasy just a day after washing. I refused to wash every day but my hair was pretty grim on day 2, and as my hair really acted like fine hair, it ended up almost plastered to my scalp. Sulphate-free really worked! I'm still stuck at 2 days, but usually on day 2 it's still presentable, and occasionally I can go to 3 days - or if I use cornflour, I can easily get to 4 days (and the scalp demands washing, whereas the hair would be quite content to go longer!) /end tangent

ANYway, I quickly learned that going sulphate-free meant going silicone-free, and although my hair isn't sleek and oh-so-shiny, I love the texture I now have. It has volume, because the strands aren't all smoothed out and so don't all compact together* as much as they used to, and I think even the colour is more multi-dimensional now that the hairs don't all conform :lol:

*My hair is very compressible still, but even deep conditioning has the effect of making it feel thinner, because the strands lie more uniformly and therefore compress more than usual. I love the feeling of sleek, smooth hair but trying to put it up is so difficult! I have to do everything much tighter so I don't think it's actually all that hair-friendly for me.

NV
September 19th, 2017, 12:24 PM
I have actively avoided them over the past two years or so (as well as sulphate shampoos), but I'm slowly incorporating products with silicons in them again as I'm using sulphate shampoos to remove my weekly hot oil treatments so I'm not that scared of buildup on my hair anymore. I can't really say whether or not my hair felt better with or without the silicons, it stayed pretty much the same although some silicons can really make my hair feel extra silky haha

TheCurlyMermaid
November 27th, 2017, 04:47 PM
I tried going cone-free for a while because I had listened to a bunch of the Natural Hair Community without doing my own research. Then I found the side of the community that has decided that the typical co-wash, no sulfates, cones or grease wasn't working for them, and learned about how silicones can be water-soluble.

I realized my hair was a lot healthier back in the day when cones were a part of my regimen, so I welcomed them back in pretty recently. My hair seems far happier and appears to have farrrrr less breakage going on at the ends! So it's a yes from me for water-soluble cones!

Jo Ann
November 27th, 2017, 07:11 PM
I'm mostly non-SLS shampoos and LOC, but I still use Hello Hydration (which contains cones) as my second conditioner because my hair loves it.

*sings to the tune of "Whatever Lola Wants*
Whatever my hair wants, my hair gets...

Alex Lou
November 28th, 2017, 11:19 PM
I LOOOVE my cones. But whatever's in Hello Hydration is a bit too much for me. I used some of my mom's when I was at her house and it completely prevents my hair from holding a curl, no bun waves, nada. Makes my hair 1b.

Corvana
November 29th, 2017, 12:03 AM
For a little while I'll be cone-free. I don't particularly hate them or anything, I've always used them and liked them well enough. But apparently they loosen my waves a lot, and I'd like to see if I can get my texture to really stand out by going cone and sulfate free.

Plus, I want to see if my scalp itchies go away when I stop using sulfates. I don't remember it being itchy when I co-washed with a cleansing conditioner, so maybe!

Guitargod
November 29th, 2017, 01:34 AM
I kinda like silicones. They do make the hair look thinner and less wavy but really helps with the tangles which should cut down on damage in the long run.

Frankenstein
November 29th, 2017, 08:31 AM
Silicones only work well in moderation for me. They mostly just lock moisture out of my hair and make it dry and tangly.

Beckstar
November 29th, 2017, 06:07 PM
Cone me up, Scottie. :)

Jo Ann
November 29th, 2017, 06:46 PM
...Plus, I want to see if my scalp itchies go away when I stop using sulfates. I don't remember it being itchy when I co-washed with a cleansing conditioner, so maybe!
Scalp itchies was one of the things I read could happen when one goes non-SLS. That's why I use non-SLS shampoos now for about three washes and wash once a month with a SLS shampoo. So far it's worked out for me YMMV, of course :)

Corvana
November 29th, 2017, 08:42 PM
Scalp itchies was one of the things I read could happen when one goes non-SLS. That's why I use non-SLS shampoos now for about three washes and wash once a month with a SLS shampoo. So far it's worked out for me YMMV, of course :)

I'm pretty sure my itchiness is just because my shampoo is too harsh and the air is too dry. It was fine in the summer, but as it got colder and the heater came on my scalp got more sensitive I guess? As soon as its been a few days and my sebum is going around more they go away.

lapushka
December 2nd, 2017, 04:11 PM
I'm pretty sure my itchiness is just because my shampoo is too harsh and the air is too dry. It was fine in the summer, but as it got colder and the heater came on my scalp got more sensitive I guess? As soon as its been a few days and my sebum is going around more they go away.

Some people get itchy and irritated from sulfates, others need the sulfates because they get that effect from sulfate-free shampoos. It's different for everyone. You do you, girl! :flower:

Garnetgem
December 2nd, 2017, 04:54 PM
I have tried a second time with no cones and this time its worked fine..my shedding in the shower has mainly stopped so has the itching i was always experiencing..and i too have gone with a ph balanced cone free so less of a greasy scalp..fingers crossed it continues to work..