PDA

View Full Version : What hair oils do you use

Mandymandymandy
June 13th, 2017, 08:33 AM
Wat are the best hair oils to use on hair and how do you use them ?
Also what oils work best for what hair types

enting
June 13th, 2017, 08:57 AM
I think we may have had a few threads like this in the past.

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule, sadly. Some people do better with nut or plant oils, others do better with mineral oil, and yet others do better with no oil at all. It may also be a factor of how much - some hair may like lots and lots of oil, other types of hair may do well with just a tiny bit.

My own hair seems to like a mixture of aloe vera gel and sesame oil (I also love the smell) on dry hair, but it does weigh down my curl. It's great for sleek styling, though. Almond oil and castor oil seem good/neutral for my hair. Grapeseed oil makes my hair piecey and not pleasant, even in smaller amounts. Coconut oil or shea butter work well for me as a prepoo treatment. I also do well using a mixture of jojoba based hair gel mixed with skin moisturizer on wet hair - it acts like a conditioner. I have a mix of fine, medium, and coarse hairs, and the many of them are kinky textured to a greater or lesser extent. My nape hair is perfectly happy with nothing in it, my front hairline hair is much wirier and coarser and does better with a lot of oil/gel/cream.

lapushka
June 13th, 2017, 09:09 AM
Just pick a light oil and see how you get on.

Personally, I use a heavy oil (but not much of it): baby oil. For a leave-in "serum", just 2 drops will do, and as a rinse-out oil treatment I use about 10 drops of it, on the last 3/4 inches of my hair.

Sweet almond oil is nice too, but any oil is. You just have to pick one and see whether or not you like it. Just use it *sparingly*!

Aredhel
June 13th, 2017, 09:37 AM
Depends on a lot of different things. My hair only likes very light oils on the ends, so I only use argan on the very ends to keep them nice and moist. Coconut oil and heavier oils are way too much for my hair, but sometimes I'll use coconut oil as a pre-poo on my length the night before a wash.

Ophidian
June 13th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Everyone has favorites but trying them for yourself is the only way to see what works for you. Some places sell sample sizes of all different kinds of oil (Nightblooming on Etsy comes to mind). This is a good way to experiment without investing a lot in an oil that may or may not give the result you want.

twill
June 13th, 2017, 12:24 PM
I've used all kinds of oils (both commercial products and at-home recipes), but currently my favorite is:
https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/xywAAOSw0hlZJ10w/s-l225.jpg
Honestly, it doesn't have much argan oil in it - mostly mineral oil - but it smells very nice (kind of like honeysuckle flowers, IMO) and works decently well.
Everyone's hair is different though, so what works for one person won't always work for another. I was just mentioning one I use and like. Jasmine essential oil was one I liked for a while there, too. The best thing to do is find others on this site with the same hair type as you and see what works for them - and experiment!

Groovy Granny
June 13th, 2017, 12:47 PM
I use mineral (baby) oil and a rose oil blend (https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-300927-now-foods-massage-oil-tranquil-rose-8-oz) for hair and body.
Different seasons and needs determine the mixture for me.

Ellethwyn
June 13th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Depends on a lot of different things. My hair only likes very light oils on the ends, so I only use argan on the very ends to keep them nice and moist. Coconut oil and heavier oils are way too much for my hair, but sometimes I'll use coconut oil as a pre-poo on my length the night before a wash.

Same here! Exactly!

Sammy-Catherine
June 13th, 2017, 01:48 PM
I'm trying coconut oil as a prewash. Also testing it along with an apple cider vinegar rinse on my brother's dandruff. :)

Yay for family volunteers!

BookishRay
June 13th, 2017, 02:00 PM
My hair is wavy and fine (ish), but thick. I've tried several oils, but by no means all. Olive and coconut oil is to heavy for my hair as anything but a prepoo or moisture treatment and coconut is my favorite for that. Olive seems to take forever to rinse out with my "mild" shampoos. I didn't like grapeseed for my hair, but it works well for oil cleansing my face :o. I liked almond oil okay for oiling my ends until I bit the bullet and bought some jojoba oil and fell in love!! :love: It's a bit expensive (to me) but a little bit goes a long way with me.

For prepoo, I will pour my oil in a bowl big enough to get my fingers in, part my hair into sections and massage the oil into my scalp first and then work it down the length scantily (if that makes sense). I try to put "just enough" oil in my hair as too much makes it difficult to wash out.

For general oiling I will part my hair in two or four sections, rub about 2-3 drops of oil in my hands, gently roll the ends of my hair between my hands then run my hands over the length and finger comb through. I repeat for each section of hair.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to oil your hair, just there isn't any one oil that is the holy grail for all hair. This is what works for me so far, but life is an experiment and it may change as I learn and grow :)

Ondine11
June 13th, 2017, 02:55 PM
I love coconut oil as a CWC pre-conditioner. Sometimes, I leave it on overnight. Then, I add a little daily to just the ends. As a heat protectant oil, I love the Marc Anthony sulfate free dry Argan oil, as it doesn't weigh my fine hair down. You have to experiment with different oils & different amounts of them, until you hit on the ones that are right for you. There is no single product that works wonders for everyone.

mermaid_pranu
July 16th, 2017, 07:10 AM
I have days when I use heavy oils and days when I use light oils.

Heavy oils: On freshly washed and dried hair, I use Sesa hair oil (even neelibringadi oil is good of you are not prone to cold), to it I mix castor oil, neem oil and eo's like rosemary and lavender. Sesa hair oil is light so, to make it heavy I add castor oil and since I get occasional itchy scalp and some scalp bums, I use neem oil. i keep this oil overnight. Since SLS free shampoo isn't enough to to wash the oil, I use soapnut concoction in the morning to get rid of the oil. i use this oil minimum once a week. This mixture of oil is really good for growing your hair.

Light oils: I use their when I have no time to wash off the oil with soap nut in the morning. I use jojoba oil as this is the only oil that gets washed off with the SLS free shampoo I use!

tseh
July 16th, 2017, 07:25 AM
I use coconut oil as deep treatment before wash. And now I am experimenting with avocado oil after wash as leave-in at the ends.

marvel-lover
July 16th, 2017, 08:40 AM
Olive oil works fine for my hair as a pre-shampoo treatment, as it's too heavy for my hair for daily use. I like castor oil and rosemary too, and I use argan oil after I wash. It all depends on your hair

Kaorin
July 16th, 2017, 09:17 AM
I like jojoba oil for my hair and only on the lengths (I have a greasy scalp, so my roots are supplied more than enough :p). I usually mix up Kimberlily's defrizz spray but with a bit more of the oil (I do 1 teaspoon oil, 1 tablespoon aloe vera gel and 50ml water). if I use the oil straight on my hands and try to spread it, it get smore patchy for me and looks greasy. With the spray it is easier for me to get the oil more evenly spread over my lengths. I spray way more after a shower when my hair is still wet and then I just add a few spritz on non wash days. Epsecially my ends have been happy with some extra love like this :)

TatsuOni
July 16th, 2017, 09:19 AM
Argan oil for my ends in between washes and coconut oil for deep treatments for the entire hair and scalp.

browneyedsusan
July 16th, 2017, 09:30 AM
I use No-Fly Zone by Snow Water Soap (https://www.etsy.com/listing/497123669/no-fly-zone-plus-oil-treatment?ref=shop_home_active_9). (<-- linked to shop)
Coconut oil is too heavy for my hair, and makes it crunchy. I like No-Fly Zone because it smells awesome and I only need a drop or 2 to do my ends.
It's less than 10$ to get it shipped, and will last until I'm dead. lol!

Larki
July 16th, 2017, 09:45 AM
I haven't met an oil yet that didn't agree with my hair. I don't often use them on clean hair, I usually use them to seal in deep conditioners on wash day. I use coconut, avocado, jojoba or an oil blend from Moroccan oil. I also like argan but don't currently have any.

reilly0167
July 16th, 2017, 12:17 PM
I used to use coconut oil for a awhile, until I noticed my ends were feeling a bit crunchy. Then I switched to avocado oil :) that being said, I also use a mix of avocado, castor, almond oils, shea, and now a new addition of babassu oil for rinse out oil method (roo). Overall, its a matter of trying what works for you.

Groovy Granny
July 16th, 2017, 12:37 PM
I use mineral (baby) oil and a rose oil blend (https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-300927-now-foods-massage-oil-tranquil-rose-8-oz) for hair and body.
Different seasons and needs determine the mixture for me.

I still use the oils posted previously (the rose oil blend most often) but recently the mist (link posted below) has been great for adding texture or a light/natural hold, while adding oils to my fine wispies.
Like the others, it is great for your body too and smells amazing :love:
SheaMoisture® Peace Rose Oil Complex Nourish & Silken Hold Mist (https://www.target.com/p/sheamoisture-peace-rose-oil-complex-nourish-silken-hold-mist-8-oz/-/A-49108407?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Health+Beauty+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Health+Beauty&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9019416&gclid=CLWpnZWemNECFZOAaQod2A4KXA&gclsrc=aw.ds&clkid=49eae6eeN217f8d18e6cbf3dba27e1ae1&lnm=81938&afid=Skimbit+Ltd.&ref=tgt_adv_xasd0002)

Simsy
July 17th, 2017, 05:46 AM
I use a few different varieties, and have yet to find a version that I don't at least tolerate. I have rose, citrus, and frangipani essential oils on rotation through a home-mixed conditioner spray that I use as a leave-in. I have an Garnier oil detangler spray that gets used if the mop is being disagreeable; and a Garnier "repair" oil that gets used quite heavily when I'm detangling, after a wash and while I'm putting braids up.

I also have a few Argan oil varieties as favourites in place of the repair oil and a jojoba oil that I'm trialling as well. I'm currently debating wheather to trial almond oil as well since I'm curious after seeing it mentioned a few times.

I use both the conditioner spray and the detangler while my hair is wet, and I follow with oil while it's wet. I will also oil before I braid, and after detangling.

Lisa-K
July 17th, 2017, 07:16 AM
"extraordinary oil" by L'Oreal is pretty fabulous. It's super light, doesn't weigh down hair, hydrates it beautifully without making it greasy. I still alternate between coconut oil (very heavy, so good for deep conditioning treatments) and jojoba oil (which is a lighter one and can be left in until the next wash if applied lightly enough). But the L'Oreal one is honestly one of my faves.

leayellena
July 17th, 2017, 10:20 AM
Where do you buy sunflower oil?

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 17th, 2017, 11:22 AM
Where do you buy sunflower oil?
You can get it at most any grocery store.

I use grape seed oil. I like it a bit better than the olive oil for now. But I think at some point I'll switch to a lighter oil like jojoba or argan just because I can't tell if my hair likes these types of oils yet.

Jo Ann
July 17th, 2017, 06:44 PM
I use coconut oil only after washing my hair; between washes, I separate my hair into four sections and apply 7 drops to each section of Spring Valley Organic Moroccan Argan Oil Serum Dietary Supplement, which I find in the hair vitamin section of my Walmart:

https://ll-us-i5.wal.co/asr/89722451-81c4-4e65-b9fa-c99965218a2b_1.3e185855a793b9e823ebd7a84f3fa35b.jp eg?odnWidth=180&odnHeight=180&odnBg=ffffff

It's a blend of argan, sweet almond, grapeseed and avocado oils.

NOTE: I only put oil on from the ears down...give or take an inch!

Jo Ann
July 17th, 2017, 06:46 PM
Many oils, such as sunflower, avocado and grapeseed oils, can be found in the grocery store in the same aisle/place you find olive oils. ;)

Also, when using oil as a pre-poo treatment, I've found it easier to apply a conditioner and leave it on for about 20-30 minutes before shampooing my hair--the conditioner appears to break down the oil, making it easier to remove from your hair. YMMV.

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 17th, 2017, 07:43 PM
I use coconut oil only after washing my hair; between washes, I separate my hair into four sections and apply 7 drops to each section of Spring Valley Organic Moroccan Argan Oil Serum Dietary Supplement, which I find in the hair vitamin section of my Walmart:

https://ll-us-i5.wal.co/asr/89722451-81c4-4e65-b9fa-c99965218a2b_1.3e185855a793b9e823ebd7a84f3fa35b.jp eg?odnWidth=180&odnHeight=180&odnBg=ffffff

It's a blend of argan, sweet almond, grapeseed and avocado oils.

NOTE: I only put oil on from the ears down...give or take an inch!

Thanks for the suggestion, I imagine that oil is cheaper than buying argan oil straight anywhere else so I may take a drive to walmart and look for that!

papillon
July 17th, 2017, 09:18 PM
Tsubaki or camellia oil is my hair oil of choice. I've tried a couple others, but always go back to it.

Deborah
July 17th, 2017, 10:25 PM
I experimented a lot with different oils over the years, but have come to realize that I don't need any. I'm sure there are more like me. Not everyone's hair needs oil.

peachyleshy
July 17th, 2017, 10:56 PM
I like olive oil and coconut for deep conditioning. In the past I've tried apricot oil in dry length/ends and it seemed to soak in nicely. I'd like to try that again as well as avocado oil. I've used products with avocado oil and they seem to absorb nicely as well. My hair is fine and can get weighed down easily, so I have to be careful with oils.

Siv
July 18th, 2017, 08:17 AM
I've used all kinds of oils (both commercial products and at-home recipes), but currently my favorite is:
https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/xywAAOSw0hlZJ10w/s-l225.jpg
Honestly, it doesn't have much argan oil in it - mostly mineral oil - but it smells very nice (kind of like honeysuckle flowers, IMO) and works decently well.
Everyone's hair is different though, so what works for one person won't always work for another. I was just mentioning one I use and like. Jasmine essential oil was one I liked for a while there, too. The best thing to do is find others on this site with the same hair type as you and see what works for them - and experiment!

This one was the first oil that really worked for me without turning my hair into a gooey mess!! Any others I can only use as pre-poo, or in the case of coconut oil, very very lightly and left to soak in over night. Since then I've sort of figured mineral oil is what works for me, and after I finish this one I figured I'd try to get my hands on some cheapo mineral oil. Only, the only mineral oil I can easily get my hands on is engine oil (lol?!). I've only found one baby oil that is actually based on mineral oil and it's difficult to get a hold of. The more common ones are all based on different plant oils, like canola oil, jojoba oil, apricot kernel oil... Never thought I'd get annoyed that natural products are becoming more common in skincare and baby care :rolleyes: Oh well, if mineral baby oils ever go out of fashion I guess I'll have to keep purchasing mineral hair oils...

ETA: I toyed with the idea of using vaseline as a "hair oil" by warming it up in my hand, but after a bit of research, I became sceptical. Both vaseline and mineral oil are made from petroleum, but mineral oil seem to have smaller molecules... But I guess it doesn't hurt to try!

lapushka
July 18th, 2017, 08:36 AM
This one was the first oil that really worked for me without turning my hair into a gooey mess!! Any others I can only use as pre-poo, or in the case of coconut oil, very very lightly and left to soak in over night. Since then I've sort of figured mineral oil is what works for me, and after I finish this one I figured I'd try to get my hands on some cheapo mineral oil. Only, the only mineral oil I can easily get my hands on is engine oil (lol?!). I've only found one baby oil that is actually based on mineral oil and it's difficult to get a hold of. The more common ones are all based on different plant oils, like canola oil, jojoba oil, apricot kernel oil... Never thought I'd get annoyed that natural products are becoming more common in skincare and baby care :rolleyes: Oh well, if mineral baby oils ever go out of fashion I guess I'll have to keep purchasing mineral hair oils...

ETA: I toyed with the idea of using vaseline as a "hair oil" by warming it up in my hand, but after a bit of research, I became sceptical. Both vaseline and mineral oil are made from petroleum, but mineral oil seem to have smaller molecules... But I guess it doesn't hurt to try!

There's a difference between mineral oil and the one in cosmetic use; the one in cosmetic use is as light as baby oil, so you'd be better picking up some plain old baby oil (Johnson & Johnson = still mineral oil I think). Mineral oil in industrial usage and for a laxative is *heavier*, and might surprise you (it being too greasy)!

Siv
July 18th, 2017, 08:56 AM
There's a difference between mineral oil and the one in cosmetic use; the one in cosmetic use is as light as baby oil, so you'd be better picking up some plain old baby oil (Johnson & Johnson = still mineral oil I think). Mineral oil in industrial usage and for a laxative is *heavier*, and might surprise you (it being too greasy)!

Thanks I didn't know that, but I was still hesitant to put engine oil in my hair!! :laugh: Can't find Johnson & Johnson over here, but the one oil I did find is Natusan which is owned by Johnson & Johnson. It's only available at the really big supermarkets with a lot of different brands, and as I don't own a car I usually shop at the local corner stores that don't stock Natusan. So I'd either have to bulk up on baby oil those few times I do head over to the big supermarket, or order online, I'd just hoped it would be easier to get a hold of :)

NightSister
July 18th, 2017, 09:03 AM
I experimented with castor oil (cut with tsubaki oil and EOs) twice a week for two months prior to washing and I noticed more hair fall than usual- after eliminating the treatment this month, it has lessened considerably. :hmm: Now i just stick 2 drops of tsubaki oil on the lengths of my hair after it is washed.

lapushka
July 18th, 2017, 09:05 AM
Thanks I didn't know that, but I was still hesitant to put engine oil in my hair!! :laugh: Can't find Johnson & Johnson over here, but the one oil I did find is Natusan which is owned by Johnson & Johnson. It's only available at the really big supermarkets with a lot of different brands, and as I don't own a car I usually shop at the local corner stores that don't stock Natusan. So I'd either have to bulk up on baby oil those few times I do head over to the big supermarket, or order online, I'd just hoped it would be easier to get a hold of :)

That doesn't necessarily mean it's the same formula. I think Natusan doesn't have MO in it, but do Google it before you buy it.

lisamt
July 18th, 2017, 09:13 AM
my hair has issues with most oils lol
I can only use pure jojoba, Hask healing shine oil, and garnier fructis oil. But i can use coconut oil as a deep treatment on occasion, however I have to be very careful because while my hair likes it, I am mildly allergic :(

Siv
July 18th, 2017, 01:52 PM
That doesn't necessarily mean it's the same formula. I think Natusan doesn't have MO in it, but do Google it before you buy it.

Yes, exactly, I did before actually! And in case any one else in the Nordic region or the Netherlands (since that's where Natusan is available) is curious how Johnson & Johnson's Baby Oil compares to Natusan's...

Johnson & Johnson's Baby Oil includes:

Mineral Oil (huile minérale), Parfum (link (https://www.johnsonsbaby.com/oil/johnsons-baby-oil))

While Natusan First Touch Baby Oil includes:

Paraffinum Liquidum, Isopropyl Palmitate (link (http://www.apotea.se/natusan-first-touch-baby-oil-200-ml?gclid=CjwKCAjw47bLBRBkEiwABh-PkRs-6EdlohEfmGfU32JLa1pQrEdDR5iWGTHiI1WWRX4G0117Mjg-xBoCSi4QAvD_BwE))

Johnson & Johnson also has baby oil with shea and cocoa butter, and aloe and vitamin E. They just add those two ingredients to the baby oil. Natusan on the other hand has "Bedtime Baby Oil" which is the same as the regular First Touch but with added perfume and "Intensive Care Baby Oil" has added perfume, aloe vera, and vitamin E (link (https://www.foodie.fi/entry/natusan-baby-200ml-intensive-care-baby-oil-hoitooljy-aloe-vera/3574660071993)).

So really, the only issue I see with Natusan's regular baby oil is that it has isopropyl palmitate, but this is purported to be "used in haircare to improve luster, quality and silkiness. With regular and correct use, hair will become more manageable, feel softer and become healthier." And "[excessive] use of products containing isopropyl palmitate on the hair can give it the appearance of untidiness, greasiness and unruliness. This is caused by an overabundance of moisture in the hair content. Precautions should be taken when using isopropyl palmitate directly on the scalp." (link (https://www.leaf.tv/articles/what-are-the-dangers-of-isopropyl-palmitate/)) Which, honestly, is very similar to how my hair reacts to silicones, so I'm still hoping that this is a good option :)

(ETA: I should've said "silicones and aloe vera gel")

Sorry for spamming with a bunch of perhaps irrelevant info, I just thought that since I spent some time on researching, and since we were discussing it, that I should share in case anyone else was interested!

mamastawb
July 18th, 2017, 02:19 PM
Oh man, my current blend has castor, almond, jojoba, macadamia, and olive oil, but that's mostly to use up some oils about to go bad. I usually just stick with 2 parts olive, 1 part almond, 1 part castor. My hair isn't that picky, other than it doesn't like coconut oil.

Corvana
July 18th, 2017, 03:03 PM
I first tried coconut oil what feels like twelve billion years ago. It was probably more like 3 years, but time is meaningless to me :laugh:

I gave it up, and assumed all oils were generally bogus, when it did nothing and in one case made my hair feel worse. I figured that the whole "use oil in your hair!" crowd was similar to the "eat quinoa to cure ADHD!" crowd LOL.

Then I joined here, and saw a bunch of people talking about how coconut oil isn't always amazing for everyone and that other oils could in fact work amazingly. Since my husband had been growing his beard out for the last year or so, he had some beard oils that I loved the scent of (coffee!! he always smells like a cafe in the mornings now), so I took a look at them and they had several oils that were recommended on here! I asked about it later, and everyone was like "use it if your hair likes it" :laugh: They did point out that it may be more cost effective to make my own blends, and I agree! But I use so little at this time that the one bottle my husband surprised me with (he loves that I'm growing my hair out haha) will likely last me at LEAST until December. I've had it a month and haven't seen any measureable difference in the amount in the bottle. But my hair is only collarbone length!

But it's got Golden Jojoba Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Grapeseed Oil, and Avocado Oil in it, and I use about 2.5-3 drops spread on my hands and then put on my ends before I lightly run them through the rest of my hair, all done when it's damp after a wash! Then if I need more throughout the week (usually if it's humid), I'll use another couple drops. I think I've used maybe 15-20 drops (and not even a full drop tbh, I just touch the dropper to my finger) this whole month!

meteor
July 18th, 2017, 03:09 PM
I'm currently using this Vatika coconut oil with amla, neem, rosemary, brahmi, etc (http://www.sizzelle.com/image/cache/data/Dabur%20Vatika%20Coconut%20oil-600x315.gif) for pre-poo oiling and this Garnier Fructis silicone oil product (https://cdn.makeupandbeauty.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Garnier-Fructis-Sleek-and-Shine-Anti-Frizz-Serum-5.jpg) whenever my hair is feeling a bit dry or tangly. It's super-light, very slippy and non-sticky unlike many leave-ins I've tried. I liked mineral/baby oil for detangling, as well, but not as much as pure silicone serum.

In the past I also enjoyed neem oil - both very moisturizing and anti-fungal, and I found it excellent on scalp, though I don't really oil my scalp anymore. I also liked mustard oil pre-poo, grapeseed oil for leave-in (in small amounts, infrequently, since it's a drying oil - with high iodine value), sweet almond oil and argan oil. My biggest recommendation is to get these types of oils in cooking sections of grocery stores for best prices and purity. Argan oil can be found in many Middle Eastern grocery stores in big bottles for a fraction of a price of what one would see in cosmetic aisle.

To be fair, I like all sorts of oils for various purposes (mostly water-"proofing" a little bit pre-wash and adding a bit of slip later), but I really don't oil as much as I used to at all, because I'd rather be able to stretch my washes and keep my hair cleaner for longer.

twill
July 18th, 2017, 05:06 PM

Companies are cutting back on mineral oil a lot - apparently people are increasingly concerned about it being unhealthy to use (don't know why, haven't bothered to do my research yet), so I'd expect it to become increasingly harder to find.

ChloeDharma
July 21st, 2017, 12:08 PM
I'm currently using this Vatika coconut oil with amla, neem, rosemary, brahmi, etc (http://www.sizzelle.com/image/cache/data/Dabur%20Vatika%20Coconut%20oil-600x315.gif) for pre-poo oiling and this Garnier Fructis silicone oil product (https://cdn.makeupandbeauty.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Garnier-Fructis-Sleek-and-Shine-Anti-Frizz-Serum-5.jpg) whenever my hair is feeling a bit dry or tangly. It's super-light, very slippy and non-sticky unlike many leave-ins I've tried. I liked mineral/baby oil for detangling, as well, but not as much as pure silicone serum.

In the past I also enjoyed neem oil - both very moisturizing and anti-fungal, and I found it excellent on scalp, though I don't really oil my scalp anymore. I also liked mustard oil pre-poo, grapeseed oil for leave-in (in small amounts, infrequently, since it's a drying oil - with high iodine value), sweet almond oil and argan oil. My biggest recommendation is to get these types of oils in cooking sections of grocery stores for best prices and purity. Argan oil can be found in many Middle Eastern grocery stores in big bottles for a fraction of a price of what one would see in cosmetic aisle.

To be fair, I like all sorts of oils for various purposes (mostly water-"proofing" a little bit pre-wash and adding a bit of slip later), but I really don't oil as much as I used to at all, because I'd rather be able to stretch my washes and keep my hair cleaner for longer.

I absolutely love the smell of that vatika coconut oil! I just recently brought it again after years of using other oils and massaging my scalp with that oil felt so nostalgic smelling that beautiful lemony coconut smell.

As for what oils I use, oh dear this could be such a long list! I have so many that I like and have on hand but I think coconut is the most consistent one for me as if I'm not using it straight then it's either in another blend or the base of an infused oil most of the time. My main reason for this is because I want to avoid hygral fatigue but also it just happens to be in blends I buy for herb extracts. Ok so here's my list

Vatika coconut oil as mentioned above
Ramtirth brahmi oil
Dhathri hair oil (the one in the black bottle)
Jojoba oil
Jamaican black castor oil but I like regular castor oil too
Avocado oil
Neem oil (but I have to be in a desperate state with my scalp to use this as the smell makes me gag!)
Pune mahabhringaraj oil
Kalonji oil
Emu oil (I like his one for rinse out oil method under conditioner particularly)
Red Palm oil
Mustard oil (but again disgusting smell)
Sesa oil
Vcare Hair oil (another one that is great for when my scalp needs some attention as it as quite medicinal smelling essential oils in like tea tree, curry leaf etc)
Sesame oil

I won't even start getting into the essential oils in this post!

I don't use mineral oil myself though have been considering it as a post wash leave in but anyway if you are in the UK Sainsburys do an own brand baby oil with very few ingredients, fewer than the Johnsons one anyway. It has mineral oil and what really does appeal is it uses Roman Chamomile essential oil for fragrance which if you are not familiar with it smells just beautiful! If I decide to try the post wash mineral oil leave in (probably later this year when the weather turns colder) then I expect that will be the one I try, very cheap too :)

*Wednesday*
July 21st, 2017, 07:26 PM
I was using Argan/Moroccan blend switched up with Coconut oil. Today I decided to purchase Sesame oil. Pure. Toasted. From the cooking oil section. My hair has a "toasty" smell. I split my hair into sections and oiled lightly. I just need to dip on my finger tips. I purchased this after reading on the Keratin Straighten thread (yes, read the entire thing), a poster Minako (spelling :confused:) mentioned it. Thought I'd give it a whirl.:cool:

mermaid_pranu
July 23rd, 2017, 09:39 AM
I absolutely love the smell of that vatika coconut oil! I just recently brought it again after years of using other oils and massaging my scalp with that oil felt so nostalgic smelling that beautiful lemony coconut smell.

As for what oils I use, oh dear this could be such a long list! I have so many that I like and have on hand but I think coconut is the most consistent one for me as if I'm not using it straight then it's either in another blend or the base of an infused oil most of the time. My main reason for this is because I want to avoid hygral fatigue but also it just happens to be in blends I buy for herb extracts. Ok so here's my list

Vatika coconut oil as mentioned above
Ramtirth brahmi oil
Dhathri hair oil (the one in the black bottle)
Jojoba oil
Jamaican black castor oil but I like regular castor oil too
Avocado oil
Neem oil (but I have to be in a desperate state with my scalp to use this as the smell makes me gag!)
Pune mahabhringaraj oil
Kalonji oil
Emu oil (I like his one for rinse out oil method under conditioner particularly)
Red Palm oil
Mustard oil (but again disgusting smell)
Sesa oil
Vcare Hair oil (another one that is great for when my scalp needs some attention as it as quite medicinal smelling essential oils in like tea tree, curry leaf etc)
Sesame oil

I won't even start getting into the essential oils in this post!

I don't use mineral oil myself though have been considering it as a post wash leave in but anyway if you are in the UK Sainsburys do an own brand baby oil with very few ingredients, fewer than the Johnsons one anyway. It has mineral oil and what really does appeal is it uses Roman Chamomile essential oil for fragrance which if you are not familiar with it smells just beautiful! If I decide to try the post wash mineral oil leave in (probably later this year when the weather turns colder) then I expect that will be the one I try, very cheap too :)

i absolutely love Sesa hair oil

shaluwm_agape
March 25th, 2018, 10:58 PM
When i atarted my hair journey in 2014 everyone swore that coconut oil was the holy grail. And though i use it for A LOT of things it honestly never worked for my hair. Then i tried the african pride olive oil & loved it but my hair folicles are flat and my hair is on the oilier side so that was a fail on top of the fact that i was a noob lol. It wasnt until i was gifted avocado oil that, that became my favorite oil. It was light dudnt really make my hair much greasier and my hair ate it up. So the other day i came across Marula oil now i have 2 faves! I have used it twice now & love it!

Katsura
March 25th, 2018, 11:28 PM
The oils I've tried so far are:

olive oil - I didn't like the feel of it in my hair
coconut oil - didn't notice any conditioning, my ends just continued feeling dry and getting breakage
argan oil - same as coconut oil
avocado oil - best I've tried so far, I like the feel of it as it isn't so heavy, also my breakage has reduced and my skin seems to like it too

Other prodcts that I use for haircare have also some castor oil and eucalyptus globulus (oil?) in them.

shaluwm_agape
March 25th, 2018, 11:54 PM
The oils I've tried so far are:

olive oil - I didn't like the feel of it in my hair
coconut oil - didn't notice any conditioning, my ends just continued feeling dry and getting breakage
argan oil - same as coconut oil
avocado oil - best I've tried so far, I like the feel of it as it isn't so heavy, also my breakage has reduced and my skin seems to like it too

Other prodcts that I use for haircare have also some castor oil and eucalyptus globulus (oil?) in them.

Never tried argan but avocado is by far the go to for me as well

Milady_DeWinter
March 26th, 2018, 03:26 AM
Coconut oil is evil to me, unless I mix it with lighter oils. I stopped using it some months ago, was way too heavy for me and didn't worked. My oil to go is avocado oil, I seriously love it! I also like almond oil, but prefer the avocado's better :)

I still got a bit of amla oil, that I'm going to use as pre-poo to finish it. My bf HATES its smell so much lol (it's quite heavy), and it wasn't a holy grail either.

Actually, the oil that I'm currently using is 90% avocado oil and 10% argan oil that I wanted to finish; I added some drops of lavender and mint essence oil. It's a clean faint scent, good to use everyday :)

Joules
March 26th, 2018, 04:03 AM
Before I list my favourite oils, I wanna say that for me food-grade virgin oils are a must. Refined cosmetic oils do absolutely nothing for me, and in case with coconut oil they can even dry my hair out.

Relatively cheap and super easy to find oils that I love:
Olive oil
Grapeseed oil
Flaxseed oil
Castor oil (it's so thick I never use it alone, only diluted in lighter oils)
Coconut oil (a bit pricier, but still)

Apricot oil and sweet almond oil - I only tried refined cosmetic versions. Ok, but nothind impressive, great for diluting nicer oils.

Other oils for me are harder to find and I'm never sure about their quality. I'm not impressed with jojoba and avocado oils that I have now, but I don't want to bash them just yet. Shea and cocoa butters on their own dry out my hair out, I usually dilute them in lighter oils just cause I wanna use them up, they weren't the cheapest ones. I absolutely loved macadamia and argan oils as leave-ins after washing, but still I'm not so sure in the quality of the particular brands I tried.

I also adore the oil mix with lanolin from the brand called DNC (if you live in Russia/Eastern Europe, you may know it). Absolutely fantastic, I never do oil treatments without it.

hennalove
March 26th, 2018, 04:22 AM
My hair likes oil especially the ends but my scalp doesn't. I use a castor oil/EO blend 2 drops with about 1/4 tsp of organic coconut oil a couple of times a month to massage my scalp before washing my hair. If my scalp is irritated I may add a drop of neem oil to the mixture. Other than that, I tend to keep the oil away from my scalp. My favourite oils for hair length and ends in no particular order are: jojoba, absyssinian, argan and sweet almond. Sometimes I add a drop of rosemary, lavender or frankincense EO.

wannabe-rusalka
March 26th, 2018, 12:59 PM
MCT Oil, my mom got it for cooking but didn’t like it much so gave it to me to put in my hair. It makes my hair very shiny and my ends don’t stick together like they used to when I used coconut oil.

nycelle
March 26th, 2018, 01:02 PM
Argan oil.

Mlarmour
March 26th, 2018, 01:27 PM
I use coconut oil mixed with castor oil normally. I also use some olive oil that’s been infused with cayenne pepper.

chiapommama
March 26th, 2018, 02:39 PM
So far I've been liking Africa's Best herbal oil, been trying out virgin coconut oil as a overnight treatment, liking it so far too. Haven't really found a favorite yet.

prairie lark
March 26th, 2018, 06:51 PM
I don't think there is a "best oil". I have too many to be decent and just use whichever, depending on my mood, my hair, whatever. Have fun with them and if totally NOT doing it for your head, maybe try them for bath/body oil or pass on to someone else to try.

Dark40
March 26th, 2018, 06:56 PM
I love to use a lot of light oils on my hair and scalp. I mostly love to use indian oil on my hair. Like, Alma Dubar Indian Hair Oil. Or, Jasmine Hair Oil. I also use carrot, jojoba, olive, and cocanut oil as well. They always work my hair lots of wonders.

Wendyp
March 26th, 2018, 08:20 PM
Heavy Coconut oil pre poo, and I Love night Blooming’s mixes, I get her monthly subscription. I use 3 drops post wash, am and pm my hair just drinks it up. Her blends have a variety of oils all pretty light I think.

littlestarface
March 26th, 2018, 09:05 PM
I use and love black seed oil/castor oil before washing on scalp and coconut oil or olive oil on the length and all over my body/face, olive oil for ROOM my hair loves this one on wet hair. I also use panacea salve on the length during the week.

chomsky
March 27th, 2018, 03:10 AM
Argan oil, exclusively.

I'll be on jojoba when it runs out. Coconut oil did not work, and I'm no longer in in the habit of buying all the hair things.

AutobotsAttack
March 27th, 2018, 04:38 PM
Mostly coconut oil. Been trying out Shea Butter. Mostly for my ends.