PDA

View Full Version : Braids for medium length, thick hair?

carries
June 13th, 2017, 06:28 AM
Post any hair styles below for medium length thick hair!

lapushka
June 13th, 2017, 03:47 PM
Honestly, there isn't that much you *can* do with APL-BSL iii hair, but put it up in a peacock twist, French twist, Gibson tuck or French/Dutch braid. iii hair really needs length to flourish. :flower:

Sarahlabyrinth
June 13th, 2017, 04:04 PM
Honestly, there isn't that much you *can* do with APL-BSL iii hair, but put it up in a peacock twist, French twist, Gibson tuck or French/Dutch braid. iii hair really needs length to flourish. :flower:

These are excellent suggestions for styles. Make the most of them while you can, because some of them you may grow out of being able to do :)

Robi-Bird
June 13th, 2017, 04:05 PM
Lapushka is spot on. My hair was mid back before I could do a disk but, or a half arsed braid. At BCL stretched there are tons of buns I still can't do because I don't have the length to eat up the width.

Peacock twists are your friend right now, french braids are your best hope braid wise, particularly pigtail style. Bun wise, you need to grow more.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 13th, 2017, 04:15 PM
Though you can do buns as half-ups.

lapushka
June 13th, 2017, 04:19 PM
Though you can do buns as half-ups.

Yep, good tip, just don't take too much hair for your half-up. The less hair you take, the more buns you'll be able to do.

BookishRay
June 13th, 2017, 04:27 PM
You can experiment with doing half your hair in a "real" bun and just wrapping the rest around the bun. This works for me sometimes, and sometimes not... My hair is almost BSL and I still have bun trouble. I have found that braiding in a pranda can help.

meteor
June 14th, 2017, 05:27 PM
French/Dutch/lace/crown braids... Alternatively, Luana braids - smaller braids leading into larger braids (https://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/10/20/luana-braids/) can be a good option. Focus on sectioning hair - the more sections, the shorter/thicker hair can be and still be braidable. In my experience, buns take *way* more length for iii hair than sectioned braids, but half-up buns/braids are obviously doable.
Another thing to remember as hair gets longer in the future: the fewer strands you use for a braid, the shorter the hair can be. For example, rope braids (2 strands) will require significantly less length than 7-strand braids (unless sectioned or half-ups).

laidy
June 17th, 2017, 11:55 AM
I really like Dutch braids and just one English plait starting at the nape of your hair.