PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else find oiling your hair comforting?

esfand
June 13th, 2017, 01:29 AM
I don't know why, but whenever I am a bit anxious or sad, I begin oiling my hair. It feels comforting, like it's protecting me or anointing me in some protective spell.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 13th, 2017, 01:54 AM
I kind of do, I guess. I think it feels like doing something extra nice for myself.

lapushka
June 13th, 2017, 05:27 AM
I don't think I attach emotions to what I do to my hair. No.

I just wash, condition, condition, then do my styling routine. I feel great being able to futz with my hair, :lol: but that's about it.

sarahthegemini
June 13th, 2017, 07:39 AM
No. I hate handling my hair.

Henrietta
June 13th, 2017, 08:46 AM
I do. Anything I do to my hair is calming and relaxing to me. It's a time when I think about doing the stuff and nothing else, I focus on the simple action, on applying a product, massaging it in, on the smell. Happily, I'm able to focus on it and other thoughts don't bother me, even if there's some active stress in my life. And I am comforted too, because I know that the treatment will give me good effects. In the past, when I was using new stuff all the time and results were uncertain, oiling or conditioning my hair would make me excited but also anxious. Now it's just relaxing and making me calmly happy :)

Unofficial_Rose
June 13th, 2017, 09:37 AM
Yes, I'm feeling like I'm nurturing a part of myself.

Also I need to after a recent encounter with some bleach.

Dendra
June 13th, 2017, 05:33 PM
Very much so, yes. It feels like the best me time!

gthlvrmx
June 13th, 2017, 06:26 PM
Yes, it feels good because I know it really helps retain moisture in my hair and gives it slippery soft smoothness that I love.

Alissalocks
June 15th, 2017, 08:27 AM
Yes! Even the smell of the oil blends I make is comforting, and I even love when I wake in the night, and can smell my oil (if I'm doing an overnight treatment). The aromatherapy is wonderful, and it feels good to apply the oil too. Since I often will do a scalp massage (but only oil the hair from my ears down) it's relaxing and soothing.

Because I usually apply my oil in bed (watching tv, on the computer, whatever) I also associate it with a place of privacy ...very boudoir style me-time.

apspinsyarns
June 17th, 2017, 03:28 PM
Absolutely! I feel like a mystical luxurious princess.

Dixie Derelict
June 22nd, 2017, 01:03 PM
Had to come in on this! Similar to the poster above, I feel a lovely, timeless connect with ALL the folks, all over the world, who are taking this small, calm moment to do this small thing for themselves. You aren't thinking about lovers, or kids, or bills - just: Aaah! That feels NICE!

Shanawavy
June 24th, 2017, 03:53 AM
Wise words Dixie Derelict :)
Yes - even though my hair is not even SL at the moment :D I use almond oil on the ends, and shea butter or very occasionally coconut oil as a pre-oil.
Also brushing my hair and conditioning my nails.

Shanawavy
June 24th, 2017, 03:55 AM
Sorry, that should have been 'oil pre-shampoo' not 'pre-oil'. Must learn patience with posting as well as with growing hair!

peachyleshy
June 28th, 2017, 07:57 AM

Me, too! Or at least some of the time. Sometimes I feel lazy and don't want to do it. But then I remind my self of how I feel when I'm oiling.i also like the routine of doing it - I feel like I've accomplished something towards my goal of having long hair. And there is comfort in that.

BloomShine18
June 28th, 2017, 10:53 AM
Not so much with my hair since I'm usually just slapping it on before bed, but when I use my blend on my scalp? Mmmm ... yeah, that's nice.

Larki
June 29th, 2017, 12:42 PM

Me too, haha. Ditto for combing and washing it, putting deep conditioner on, etc.

Ophidian
June 29th, 2017, 01:00 PM
Yes! Even the smell of the oil blends I make is comforting, and I even love when I wake in the night, and can smell my oil (if I'm doing an overnight treatment). The aromatherapy is wonderful, and it feels good to apply the oil too. Since I often will do a scalp massage (but only oil the hair from my ears down) it's relaxing and soothing.

Because I usually apply my oil in bed (watching tv, on the computer, whatever) I also associate it with a place of privacy ...very boudoir style me-time.

I do this too :). Oiling every evening before braiding it for bed has become a little self-care ritual and I find it to be a very nice way to end the day.