View Full Version : Hairstyles for guys? Anything off limits?

J.R.
June 12th, 2017, 05:02 PM
Hello all! Just registered here after browsing for several months. I'm a guy who is about 2.5 years into growing out his hair. I've wanted to grow it out for years but didn't really give it a serious try until a couple years ago, and it helps that it is at least a little more common right now I think. It's been awesome and it's finally getting long enough to be a bit creative with, which is unexpectedly fun since I just wanted long hair and was initially very satisfied just with a bun. And in public I've just stuck with the bun for the most part because that's what I feel comfortable with and know looks good, but I'd like to branch out a bit. At home I'll experiment but none of that has made it out of the house. Some of my home styles haven chance because, while they're comfortable/easy/convenient, I don't like how they look, but doing the same thing everyday is getting a bit boring. I'm working on braiding but need a bit more length as of yet for a single english braid to look nice. I'm curious if others have styles they'll only wear at home because of how they look or if I should just suck it up and wear one of those? I'd like to say I don't care what others think, but I do some which is why I ask the question.

twill
June 12th, 2017, 05:14 PM
Girl opinion, here: While you can technically do anything you want (and I'm one of those people who likes experimenting), if it were me, I'd steer clear of braided updos.http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/chris-wood-shows-off-a-french-braid-hair-style-done-by-stylist-kelly-picture-id514650622
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/chris-wood-shows-off-a-dutch-braid-hair-style-done-by-stylist-kelly-picture-id514650638
But that's just me.
http://machohairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/maxresdefault.jpg

twill
June 12th, 2017, 05:14 PM
At least, Dutch braids.

Aredhel
June 12th, 2017, 05:27 PM
I am of the opinion that men and women can rock the same 'dos... I think the key to pulling them off is wearing them with confidence.;) Buns aren't just limited to simple generic buns either, there's many different types of buns you can play around with, many of which you can find on the Hairstyle of the Month (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48) subforum. I always like to recommend that subforum to new members because when I first discovered it, it was like a whole new world of possibilities had opened up to me!

Personally though, I love braids on men... particularly French braids. I braid my DH's hair all the time.:)

Corvana
June 12th, 2017, 06:38 PM
I second what Aredhel said! Anyone can pull off anything, if they're confident enough.

And I also love braids on men! I mean, all over the world different men wear braids all the time in different ways. And while googling for some examples, I found this: Long Hairstyles for Men Guide (http://www.longhairguys.net/long-hairstyles-for-men-guide-epic-pictures/). Lots of braids, and of course different bun styles that are featured here on LHC (nautilus, chinese bun, braided buns, etc)!

Sarahlabyrinth
June 12th, 2017, 06:40 PM
I think you should wear whatever hair style you like. I like braided and bunned styles on men. I think most styles are unisex. Unless you have a policy at your work which only allows certain styles?

olivetime
June 12th, 2017, 06:43 PM
My husband wears braids all the time. I find it quite attractive! Wear whatever you want :)

Obsidian
June 12th, 2017, 06:53 PM
Braids are ok but I hate man buns with a passion.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 12th, 2017, 06:54 PM
I think man buns look warrior-like.

WhyMyHair
June 12th, 2017, 06:58 PM
As long as you are confident to wear it. I should think why not? There are just some hair styles that I think are just for women only. Like maybe pig tails? Lol.

Ezusthold
June 12th, 2017, 07:04 PM
For braided man hairstyles use the viking ones as inspiration <3
I think nothing is off limit, everyone would just tell you his/her own preferences :D

neko_kawaii
June 12th, 2017, 07:04 PM
Hehe, until you have seen kick ass picktails on a man, it is easy to think they belong to women.

Wear what you want.

Ezusthold
June 12th, 2017, 07:06 PM
As long as you are confident to wear it. I should think why not? There are just some hair styles that I think are just for women only. Like maybe pig tails? Lol.

:D Snoopy Dog dislikes it! :D http://theopinionator.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/pigtail-hairstyles-for-men-768x1000.jpg

Ezusthold
June 12th, 2017, 07:08 PM
Or here are these pigtails:
http://stylemann.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/3-Braided-Man-Pigtails.jpg

I think he's rocking it :)

pailin
June 12th, 2017, 08:06 PM
It really all depends whether you're comfortable. Some hairstyles will probably get you more attention, but it's up to you and your personality.
I've often had things I'd only wear around the house, by the way. I don't think it's unusual for girls but maybe guys are less familiar because you don't really do different styles with short hair. I used to do some pretty goofy things to keep hair out of the way to wash my face at chin length, and while it was awkward to put up at shorter lengths, I did whatever necessary around the house. And my piled-on-top-of-head-with-a-deep-treatment look is top secret.

EdG
June 12th, 2017, 08:12 PM
Welcome J.R.

We have a saying "hair is hair". Anything that works on women's hair will work on men's hair too. :)

This site can give you an idea of the wide variety of buns, braids, and hair toys.
Ed

lapushka
June 13th, 2017, 05:38 AM
I don't think styles are one gender only. I think styles can be pretty gender neutral, apart from maybe the bridal styles and intricate braiding, but that you can vary and might even look good on a guy, depending on how you braid.

enting
June 13th, 2017, 09:05 AM
If it suits your personality and the environment, I think anyone can rock anything. Most of looking "right" is all about how confident and comfortable the wearer is. I was about to say "just steer clear of braiding flowers into your hair" except if one's personality suits that, it can actually be very nice looking. I would perhaps not wear that to a court in front of a judge, but that goes for either sex imho. I also believe that men have just as much a right to be beautiful as women do to be handsome.

Hairkay
June 13th, 2017, 10:31 AM
:D Snoopy Dog dislikes it! :D http://theopinionator.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/pigtail-hairstyles-for-men-768x1000.jpg

I think men can wear braids, ponytails etc. Most men and boys I grew up seeing kept hair short but those that didn't wore, braids, locks, ponytails and there were even the few with buns. Snoop takes it a little too far when he wears hair ornaments of a 5 year little girl. For him it's all about getting the most attention and that'll do it.

Anje
June 13th, 2017, 11:06 AM
I'm another vote saying that you can literally wear anything you want. Act like you're confident about it (whether you are or not - confidence comes with experience, so expect it'll take a few times of doing something before you feel OK with it), and it'll be fine. You might get some looks if you decorate your hair with flowers or pink bows or sparkles, but even that is seriously your prerogative. Watch some LOTR or the recent Hobbit productions if you want to see guys rocking braided styles and being masculine about it.

MidnightMoon
June 13th, 2017, 11:30 AM
I think it depends on your overall style and looks.
I'd never think a native american looks ridiculous with braids, but might give it a second thought on a caucasian man wearing a corporate suit, or even the n.a. in the corporate suit.
I like dreads on anyone, but sometimes they look like an attempt at looking cool and hipster.
I don't mind a man bun, but I'm talking about a normal, regular, modest bun.
I reeeally hate guys who are actively trying to look "hot", with the saaaame look all of them... shaved sides, unkempt bun on top, beard, etc. etc.
I just don't find men who want to "look hot" attractive at all.
Like, I don't want to judge and say it's a "type" of person, but yeah... these guys http://www.menshairstylestoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Man-Bun-Hairstyles-For-Guys.jpg
get a 0 with me.
Anyone who doesn't look or try to look like a copy of that, and is humble, nice, and not a dick looks fine by me.

Ophidian
June 13th, 2017, 11:50 AM
You do you! Experiment to see what you like and feel comfortable in. If there is a person/people in your life whose opinions really matter to you, ask then for feedback. People may have opinions about what they think men should/shouldn't do/be/like but as you can see they differ greatly and you have no obligation to meet anyone's criteria but your own. There aren't any hard and fast "rules" with this stuff--it's about your personal aesthetic preferences and comfort.

Todd
June 13th, 2017, 07:02 PM

Pigtail braids are certainly easier to do than a regular braid, at least for me. So I wear them, sometimes. Not for women only.

Highly recommended!

trolleypup
June 14th, 2017, 12:22 AM
This. Whatever you are comfortable wearing.
I'm another vote saying that you can literally wear anything you want. Act like you're confident about it (whether you are or not - confidence comes with experience, so expect it'll take a few times of doing something before you feel OK with it), and it'll be fine. You might get some looks if you decorate your hair with flowers or pink bows or sparkles, but even that is seriously your prerogative. Watch some LOTR or the recent Hobbit productions if you want to see guys rocking braided styles and being masculine about it.

truepeacenik
June 14th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Hello all! Just registered here after browsing for several months. I'm a guy who is about 2.5 years into growing out his hair. I've wanted to grow it out for years but didn't really give it a serious try until a couple years ago, and it helps that it is at least a little more common right now I think. It's been awesome and it's finally getting long enough to be a bit creative with, which is unexpectedly fun since I just wanted long hair and was initially very satisfied just with a bun. And in public I've just stuck with the bun for the most part because that's what I feel comfortable with and know looks good, but I'd like to branch out a bit. At home I'll experiment but none of that has made it out of the house. Some of my home styles haven chance because, while they're comfortable/easy/convenient, I don't like how they look, but doing the same thing everyday is getting a bit boring. I'm working on braiding but need a bit more length as of yet for a single english braid to look nice. I'm curious if others have styles they'll only wear at home because of how they look or if I should just suck it up and wear one of those? I'd like to say I don't care what others think, but I do some which is why I ask the question.

What about braids on the top (starting at temples, say) into a bun, for a change, and to wait on another inch or so?

And yes, I have hair "styles" that are house/garden only. I also love pony scrub caps to hide them if I do go out.

Have you seen this?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=143077