PDA

View Full Version : what should i start with?

amiraaah
June 12th, 2017, 03:58 PM
hello guys<3
so as i mentioned before,i want to grow my hair to classic length but it is so thin and damaged not just the ends but i think from my shoulders down.so i think i have two options and i don't have much experience in that matter:should i chop to shoulder length as i heard before that damaged ends won't grow(but ofcourse i'm scared because i will lose so much hair)or would it grow?and i should trim it gradually every month.

hugs:)

Rhoward
June 12th, 2017, 04:06 PM
I'm by no means an expert so hopefully someone with more experience will chime in! Maybe give yourself a decent cut (like and inch or two) and then micro-trim every month or so until most of the damage is gone.

Corvana
June 12th, 2017, 04:56 PM
Start with whatever makes you happy. Some people want the length more and are willing to slowly trim it out. I'm personally super impatient and would rather have shorter and all healthy or same length hair than wait. The difference is really: which would bother you more? The damage, or losing the length? (or in my case, the uneven layers or length haha)

If you keep the length, then baby your ends to help protect them from breakage while it grows.

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 12th, 2017, 07:13 PM
Do what you're comfortable with. Personally for me I would do decent trim of an inch or two and than micro trim until all the damage is out.

Chromis
June 12th, 2017, 07:18 PM
What kind of damage? Damage from rough handling? Bleach? Heat tools?

I would not chop it shorter than I could put up personally, but a lot depends on how damaged it is really.

MoonRabbit
June 12th, 2017, 07:24 PM
I agree with do what makes you comfortable.

I have been there before. I ended up doing the big chop from mid back to just above bsl. I decided on the big chop because of all the heat and dread damage. I personally wanted a fresh start. But you can always take 2 or so inches off, baby it for awhile and then see if you need more.

amiraaah
June 12th, 2017, 09:26 PM
I'm by no means an expert so hopefully someone with more experience will chime in! Maybe give yourself a decent cut (like and inch or two) and then micro-trim every month or so until most of the damage is gone.
:)thank you

amiraaah
June 12th, 2017, 09:29 PM
Start with whatever makes you happy. Some people want the length more and are willing to slowly trim it out. I'm personally super impatient and would rather have shorter and all healthy or same length hair than wait. The difference is really: which would bother you more? The damage, or losing the length? (or in my case, the uneven layers or length haha)

If you keep the length, then baby your ends to help protect them from breakage while it grows.

i also prefer having shorter and healthy hair but my hair grows really slow

amiraaah
June 12th, 2017, 09:30 PM
What kind of damage? Damage from rough handling? Bleach? Heat tools?

I would not chop it shorter than I could put up personally, but a lot depends on how damaged it is really.

heat and and rough handling,i have never bleached it

amiraaah
June 12th, 2017, 09:36 PM
thank you:)

amiraaah
June 12th, 2017, 09:37 PM
I agree with do what makes you comfortable.

I have been there before. I ended up doing the big chop from mid back to just above bsl. I decided on the big chop because of all the heat and dread damage. I personally wanted a fresh start. But you can always take 2 or so inches off, baby it for awhile and then see if you need more.

yes i will do so,cut about 2 inches.

amiraaah
June 12th, 2017, 09:38 PM
thank you i follow this advice:)

amiraaah
June 12th, 2017, 09:40 PM
Do what you're comfortable with. Personally for me I would do decent trim of an inch or two and than micro trim until all the damage is out.

thank you i will do so:)

spidermom
June 12th, 2017, 09:52 PM
I like change, so it would drive me crazy to maintain the same length while I slowly trimmed out damage. Therefore, I'd get a nice shoulder-length cut and enjoy all the changes to come.

Shoulder length is awesome, by the way. I grew to classic length and am now enjoying this much shorter length. It's so versatile!

ghanima
June 13th, 2017, 02:21 AM
I like shoulder length too! maybe too much for my own good, ha ha!
If you're comfortable with posting a picture, maybe we could get a better sense of where you're at.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
June 13th, 2017, 08:41 AM
Hi, amiraah!

If you do not have any split ends then don't go for a big cut.
I suggest first clarify, then do a protein and moisturising DT. Micro trimming each month and regular deep treatments should help to nurse your hair as you grow.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Anje
June 13th, 2017, 11:22 AM
Once you've cut it (or not) to the point you're comfortable with, the next step is to revise your handling of your hair. Since rough handling has caused damage, you're going to want to address that early.

I see you've got wavy-curly hair, according to your hairtype. That's going to affect things. Chances are, you'll find it's easier to detangle your hair when it's wet and slathered in conditioner, but try it that way and dry before washing, see what works best for you. Seriously take your time whenever you detangle, even if that means putting it off til a different time of day, and don't work frustrated. Slowly pick apart the tangles at the ends, then detangle a few inches further up, and so on, til you've pushed the tangles off the ends of your hair. Try to avoid stretching or breaking hairs in this process, which means don't tug a comb/brush roughly through when it gets difficult, but pick apart the blob of hair instead with your fingertips. Over time, this means your hair accrues far less damage, which means it doesn't break or need cut off and thereby gets longer. Fingercombing by using my fingers like the tines of a comb never worked well for me, but I have good luck smoothing pieces of hair between fingers, almost like I'm gently squeezing out tangles. If you can get that to work, it's gentler than combing.

Do your best to simply quit the heat. If you must blowdry, fine, but try to avoid the hottest setting. Flat irons, curling irons, and other direct heat are best avoided entirely, or only used for special occasions a couple times a year. Depending on your habits, that might be a big change, but get used to seeing your hair its natural texture.

lapushka
June 13th, 2017, 03:41 PM
hello guys<3
so as i mentioned before,i want to grow my hair to classic length but it is so thin and damaged not just the ends but i think from my shoulders down.so i think i have two options and i don't have much experience in that matter:should i chop to shoulder length as i heard before that damaged ends won't grow(but ofcourse i'm scared because i will lose so much hair)or would it grow?and i should trim it gradually every month.

hugs:)

Is it damaged in any way? Did you heat style before coming here? If so, check your hair for "white dots" along the strand. The hair will "bend" at that exact point and will break if you put pressure on that dot (don't!) - you can snip those off with S&D sessions, if you don't have too many. Should you have a lot, trims might be better.

If your hair isn't damaged, I'd leave it either as is, or join the microtrimming thread. More information is in that thread on how to maintain your length and even get some growth all while trimming bits off to slowly get where you want to go.

Good luck!

amiraaah
June 14th, 2017, 07:37 PM
I like change, so it would drive me crazy to maintain the same length while I slowly trimmed out damage. Therefore, I'd get a nice shoulder-length cut and enjoy all the changes to come.

Shoulder length is awesome, by the way. I grew to classic length and am now enjoying this much shorter length. It's so versatile!

yes ofcourse shoulder length is awesome,it's just i feel that shorter than waist length makes me ugly haha.

amiraaah
June 14th, 2017, 07:38 PM
I like shoulder length too! maybe too much for my own good, ha ha!
If you're comfortable with posting a picture, maybe we could get a better sense of where you're at.

yes sure i will post as soon as possible.
thank you<3

amiraaah
June 14th, 2017, 07:39 PM
Hi, amiraah!

If you do not have any split ends then don't go for a big cut.
I suggest first clarify, then do a protein and moisturising DT. Micro trimming each month and regular deep treatments should help to nurse your hair as you grow.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

i have tons of split ends i will try and show you a picture of how my hair looks.

amiraaah
June 14th, 2017, 07:59 PM
Is it damaged in any way? Did you heat style before coming here? If so, check your hair for "white dots" along the strand. The hair will "bend" at that exact point and will break if you put pressure on that dot (don't!) - you can snip those off with S&D sessions, if you don't have too many. Should you have a lot, trims might be better.

If your hair isn't damaged, I'd leave it either as is, or join the microtrimming thread. More information is in that thread on how to maintain your length and even get some growth all while trimming bits off to slowly get where you want to go.

Good luck!

thank you so much,yes my hair is heat damaged.

amiraaah
June 14th, 2017, 08:01 PM
Once you've cut it (or not) to the point you're comfortable with, the next step is to revise your handling of your hair. Since rough handling has caused damage, you're going to want to address that early.

I see you've got wavy-curly hair, according to your hairtype. That's going to affect things. Chances are, you'll find it's easier to detangle your hair when it's wet and slathered in conditioner, but try it that way and dry before washing, see what works best for you. Seriously take your time whenever you detangle, even if that means putting it off til a different time of day, and don't work frustrated. Slowly pick apart the tangles at the ends, then detangle a few inches further up, and so on, til you've pushed the tangles off the ends of your hair. Try to avoid stretching or breaking hairs in this process, which means don't tug a comb/brush roughly through when it gets difficult, but pick apart the blob of hair instead with your fingertips. Over time, this means your hair accrues far less damage, which means it doesn't break or need cut off and thereby gets longer. Fingercombing by using my fingers like the tines of a comb never worked well for me, but I have good luck smoothing pieces of hair between fingers, almost like I'm gently squeezing out tangles. If you can get that to work, it's gentler than combing.

Do your best to simply quit the heat. If you must blowdry, fine, but try to avoid the hottest setting. Flat irons, curling irons, and other direct heat are best avoided entirely, or only used for special occasions a couple times a year. Depending on your habits, that might be a big change, but get used to seeing your hair its natural texture.
thank you:)
yes i stopped using heat for a month now and trying to handle my natural texture.

amiraaah
June 14th, 2017, 08:12 PM
https://gm1.ggpht.com/SnjUSajtorUb89MyC0ImM-MS7RbGEN6a4FSeK-e4ePoJpJi8ayqX9sfx-Pe97RMvLyputyaYyvHe9aufJkPwqC5AlW9NZd5M1joKnCVbavF Pf_gnShNMfEmBovTV1emnJBjNB2-d8BCOFevEI1aGACBWFr8pDj7jMa_Ed_x90ORdDbnOrb8-NJnJAqjMvhUeNh71ly0WbhEq1BMXuyPbam-0oay_GEV15hZ_k8d2bjFGbyum2lsyN8yyMT2i14Kwg2bK68D-XDxWFwlriV_OuG6olb1s87yvykVZCjUqe9olTV5e9xwUOVuNQa aTW1MmsUhryf9iiRSD5bYHxwx1R7hriFjGuA7ixxRXG0pCztBL SK_VlWVf1qleYvPVWYpFvoOAsCwznh88Bmjs2HTreQ3ei2XNZH IMWKxImYNDziHwNvK_eijFuStIYRYa-vrdwsFnBn1l9J_DuKrm1Xs7nuxn0V-Gqx6mmhBvEmgaIVuwQdQaoX9KLSjmlugMKmwL2TCLWU1b8x5UH Hm7eh4y6eROzX2E9ruC4FcQunFgT8WztSOWYefjggatYO5GhpU mptSbKIntSbxzzWYxo1QU7_mYsMQuNAzajNDZty2F74ieFXpLf ZXOC8BvqoEplvfnCStf3r46jnxzWGRpJnvCz6eMy3QJkhDUPGd d-lrIECwHd2c68Q=w1366-h662-l75-ft
the picture's quality is so bad this is after oiling and combing.

amiraaah
June 15th, 2017, 11:18 AM
https://gm1.ggpht.com/SnjUSajtorUb89MyC0ImM-MS7RbGEN6a4FSeK-e4ePoJpJi8ayqX9sfx-Pe97RMvLyputyaYyvHe9aufJkPwqC5AlW9NZd5M1joKnCVbavF Pf_gnShNMfEmBovTV1emnJBjNB2-d8BCOFevEI1aGACBWFr8pDj7jMa_Ed_x90ORdDbnOrb8-NJnJAqjMvhUeNh71ly0WbhEq1BMXuyPbam-0oay_GEV15hZ_k8d2bjFGbyum2lsyN8yyMT2i14Kwg2bK68D-XDxWFwlriV_OuG6olb1s87yvykVZCjUqe9olTV5e9xwUOVuNQa aTW1MmsUhryf9iiRSD5bYHxwx1R7hriFjGuA7ixxRXG0pCztBL SK_VlWVf1qleYvPVWYpFvoOAsCwznh88Bmjs2HTreQ3ei2XNZH IMWKxImYNDziHwNvK_eijFuStIYRYa-vrdwsFnBn1l9J_DuKrm1Xs7nuxn0V-Gqx6mmhBvEmgaIVuwQdQaoX9KLSjmlugMKmwL2TCLWU1b8x5UH Hm7eh4y6eROzX2E9ruC4FcQunFgT8WztSOWYefjggatYO5GhpU mptSbKIntSbxzzWYxo1QU7_mYsMQuNAzajNDZty2F74ieFXpLf ZXOC8BvqoEplvfnCStf3r46jnxzWGRpJnvCz6eMy3QJkhDUPGd d-lrIECwHd2c68Q=w1366-h662-l75-ft
the picture's quality is so bad this is after oiling and combing.