PDA

View Full Version : rosemary and peppermint oils

reilly0167
June 10th, 2017, 09:39 AM
I like the scent of my conditioner that contains rosemary and peppermint oils, and interested in purchasing the two and add it to my shea butter mix that I use for my hair ( and sometimes as a body butter) will spoon out a bit of the mix and add the essential oils and see if I like it, and also add to my little travel bottle of oils I use to oil my hair; but I don't know how much of each to add, so my question is, how much do you use use? What's is a good starting amount?

Ondine11
June 10th, 2017, 10:13 AM
How much you use, will depend upon the length, thickness & texture of your hair. I have mixed pure rosemary essential oil, peppermint oil & tea tree oil (two drops of each) into a dime sized amount of melted coconut oil to use as a scalp massage. Worked like magic to fight dandruff, SD, & grow healthier, more abundant hair.

As for mixing them with shea butter for the entire length of the hair, remember that essential oils are not truly 'oil'. They are extremely concentrated plant extracts, so, you only need a little. You might experiment, too, with different base oils (other than shea) that many of the long haired fairy women on here swear by: you might find that you get better results from something else! Many online essential oil sellers also sell the base oils in small quantities, so you can experiment without overspending.

reilly0167
June 10th, 2017, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE=Ondine11;3419945]How much you use, will depend upon the length, thickness & texture of your hair. I have mixed pure rosemary essential oil, peppermint oil & tea tree oil (two drops of each) into a dime sized amount of melted coconut oil to use as a scalp massage. Worked like magic to fight dandruff, SD, & grow healthier, more abundant hair.

As for mixing them with shea butter for the entire length of the hair, remember that essential oils are not truly 'oil'. They are extremely concentrated plant extracts, so, you only need a little. You might experiment, too, with different base oils (other than shea) that many of the long haired fairy women on here swear by: you might find that you get better results from something else! Many online essential oil sellers also sell the base oils in small quantities, so you can experiment without overspending.[/QUO
That's good to know, will definitely add just a tiny bit, also will take note of how much when I get to a scent that's pleasing and not overbearing.:)

Nymphe
June 10th, 2017, 03:46 PM
The ratio I use is 20-30 drops of EO to 1 oz (30 mL) of carrier oil or butter.

Robi-Bird
June 10th, 2017, 04:36 PM
I recommend looking up the ifra levels of the eos you want to use. Some like peppermint have considerably lower usage levels due to potential sensitization.

laidy
June 17th, 2017, 12:01 PM
I added around 20 drops of rosemary EO to my 100ml (around 3oz?) of argan oil. I think that is a safe amount!

Ackvelina
June 18th, 2017, 01:42 AM
If you can find it, use rosemary water. its easier to handle. Just add a splash to your (AVC) rinse and pour slowly over the scalp, or you can just pat some of it on your skin as a perfume/face wash.

Hailwidis
June 18th, 2017, 04:29 AM
What's rosemary water? Can it be home-made from fresh or dried rosemary?

beneaththetrees
June 18th, 2017, 01:09 PM
What's rosemary water? Can it be home-made from fresh or dried rosemary?

Absolutely! I haven't actually tried rosemary water yet, but I've been meaning to for ages.

I think you can make it like you would rose water - almost like a tea. You just pour hot to boiling water over the herb and let it sit to infuse. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if fresh or dried is better, but my instinct would be that dried rosemary would work better, since it would steep more.