PDA

View Full Version : Why I have (temporarily) embraced my hair shedding

ShilvaA
June 10th, 2017, 02:25 AM
Ever since I started getting semi conscious of my hairs health, maybe 3 years ago now, I noticed how much my hair sheds whilst brushing/showering etc.

I lose somewhere in the ballpark of 120-160 hairs a day! Which according to multiple hair related shed stats is way above average. I have done everything in my power to remedy this over the course of 3 years but the shed rate has remained the same.

I have tried...
wearing it in a braid constantly
reduced the ammount of scrubbing whilst washing
reduced how often I wash and brush my hair
taken vitamins and supplements
had regular hair treatments at my local college (cheap! Haha)
not brushed whilst wet
stopped blow drying my hair
reduced straightening to once every 2 months or so rather than every few days
changed to silk bedsheets
tried those hair regrowth shampoos
... plus multiple other methods to try and to the shedding!

I counted just over 110 hairs shed today whilst showering and here it is only 9am haha

I have kept a constant vigilance over potential balding as everything that I have read online has led me to believe that this amount of hair lose everyday will eventually result in baldness.

I certainly do not feel bald! I have two baldish spots at the sides of my temples... but they have been there since I was a teenager and actually look like they have filled in slightly recently! (I rub my temples when stressed, been trying to stop doing this as I keep making the hair around the side of my face get really greasy much more quickly than the rest of my hair)

My hair is at least the same thickness as it has always been or maybe even thicker! And mkst definitely growing.

So I have stopped worrying about premature balding, I have decided that the hairs that are shedding are most likely the older hairs on my head and by logic, probably the most damaged and prone to splitting... afterall, they have been exposed to massve bleaching, redying... bleaching again... blowdrying, straightening and all sorts.

My partner used to freak out when he ran his fingers through my hair as his fingers would end up wrapped with tangles of shed hairs when he pulled away. He has checked my scalp for balding patches more times than I care to remember, fun times haha.

I just wanted to offer something from the other side, if you are worried about how much hair you are losing, then definitely get it checked out BUT sometimes, things that are normal for you are outside the tolerances of what is considered normal.

I have learned to embrace my shed hairs, they are hairs that I have put through the ringer and are bowing out to hairs that will now be treated with care.

Arctic
June 10th, 2017, 02:45 AM
Maybe some of them are breakage instead of shedding?

Good for you for deciding not to worry, but I do suggest you continue periodically keep an eye of the situation.

twill
June 10th, 2017, 03:02 AM
Congrats on reducing your amount of shedding! 10-50 fewer hairs lost counts for something!

Hopefully your hair will recover fully and be back and better than ever. :)

lapushka
June 10th, 2017, 06:26 AM
Maybe go see a dermatologist. Something might be up. Just sayin'. If that's 3 years of constantly losing more hair and your hair thinning out, then I'd talk to a doctor. This is serious enough to do so. And if your bloodwork is OK, that's why you go to a derm, because they tend to look at more than just that.

BookishRay
June 10th, 2017, 08:10 AM
I shed what I consider an average amount all the time, but about twice a year I will have major shedding with no routine changes. This has happened for as long as I have been taking care of my own hair regardless of shampoo types or ingredients. It doesn't noticeably diminish my thickness so I don't stress over it. I just assume that is what is natural for me.

MoonRabbit
June 10th, 2017, 08:10 AM
If you don't have any noticeable thickness loss or balding patching then I would say 120-160 is just your normal shed loss.

100 sheds a day isn't going to be average for every head. It can be more and still be a normal amount.

spidermom
June 10th, 2017, 08:58 AM
I'd definitely stop counting because it could cause more anxiety, which could cause more shedding, which would cause more anxiety .....

Ophidian
June 10th, 2017, 01:07 PM
If you don't have any noticeable thickness loss or balding patching then I would say 120-160 is just your normal shed loss.

100 sheds a day isn't going to be average for every head. It can be more and still be a normal amount.
This makes sense to me too, especially since you aren't noticing any decrease in thickness. Might just be your normal.

renia22
June 10th, 2017, 01:30 PM
It might not be a bad idea to still measure ponytail circumference, and repeat every 3-6 months or so. My hair shedding has happened on and off over the years for a variety of reasons, but the first time was from birth control pills when I was 19. I wish I had known back then that this was a possible side effect, and that I had a base circumference measurement before any of the shedding started, just to know what my hair was at its thickest. That way if there is some possible issue you'll at least know what your circumference was to begin with.

Chromis
June 10th, 2017, 01:59 PM
I'd definitely stop counting because it could cause more anxiety, which could cause more shedding, which would cause more anxiety .....

That is pretty much my take on it and why I have never bothered to count shed hairs. Counting just sounds like a good way to get more stressed!

Aredhel
June 10th, 2017, 03:32 PM
That is pretty much my take on it and why I have never bothered to count shed hairs. Counting just sounds like a good way to get more stressed!

Ditto! I've never done this and probably never will, for this very reason.

ShilvaA
June 10th, 2017, 03:40 PM
Yeah, I gave up stressing about it! I have just accepted that my hair is prone to shedding but since it has been happening so long and has made no noticeable impact on my hair thickness or growth, why worry about it?

I think that a lot of people get worried when they believe that their hair is shedding more than what is considered normal. Normal is fluid though, I reckon my hair sheddage is normal for me and I think obsession can never do any good!

That is why I have decided that my shedding is normal and is actually probably helping the overall health of my hair. There are no worries here!

I am happy that my old damaged hair is making way for new growth. I will treat these new hairs so much better than their predecessors. Haha

Aredhel
June 10th, 2017, 03:44 PM
Yeah, I gave up stressing about it! I have just accepted that my hair is prone to shedding but since it has been happening so long and has made no noticeable impact on my hair thickness or growth, why worry about it?

I think that a lot of people get worried when they believe that their hair is shedding more than what is considered normal. Normal is fluid though, I reckon my hair sheddage is normal for me and I think obsession can never do any good!

That is why I have decided that my shedding is normal and is actually probably helping the overall health of my hair. There are no worries here!

I am happy that my old damaged hair is making way for new growth. I will treat these new hairs so much better than their predecessors. Haha

Very good outlook, and very true! Most people will notice when their hair is shedding an abnormal amount, and there might be a cause for concern then, but I think a lot of us stress more about it than is necessary at all. It's good to remember that shedding is a very natural and healthy part of our hair cycle.:)

lapushka
June 10th, 2017, 04:33 PM
Very good outlook, and very true! Most people will notice when their hair is shedding an abnormal amount, and there might be a cause for concern then, but I think a lot of us stress more about it than is necessary at all. It's good to remember that shedding is a very natural and healthy part of our hair cycle.:)

Well put! :D Shedding is very normal. As long as your hair isn't thinning out, it's *fine*!

laidy
June 17th, 2017, 11:59 AM
Yes, definitely stop counting! My hair falls out like crazy in the shower, but the thickness doesn't really change that much. I think your shedding is almost average, so I wouldn't worry to much about it.

CrowningGlory
June 17th, 2017, 01:54 PM
Maybe go see a dermatologist. Something might be up. Just sayin'. If that's 3 years of constantly losing more hair and your hair thinning out, then I'd talk to a doctor. This is serious enough to do so. And if your bloodwork is OK, that's why you go to a derm, because they tend to look at more than just that.

My thoughts too. For years and years I was a heavy shedder and just assumed it was normal because I couldn't remember it being otherwise. And then my hair started falling out by the handful and blood tests revealed ferretin level of less than 10 (and only vague other symptoms to suggest anything was amiss). Since I had been anaemic with my pregnancies despite iron supplements, I suspect I had struggled with low iron for years and not known it. I've been on iron supplements for six years now and while I still have some thinning, my shedding is well within normal limits. I'm guessing (I've never counted when it looks normal) around 50 hairs a day. At my worst I was over 300 a day. Nowadays I never find shed hair everywhere like I did in the past - when I thought it was 'normal'. A simple blood test would reveal if there is anything else going on and if not, you can rest easy that your shedding is simply 'normal' for you.