PDA

View Full Version : Super strong/stiff part in hair??

Kandy
June 9th, 2017, 01:22 PM
99% of the time, I part my hair in the middle. That's because it doesn't want to do anything else! If I try to flip it, it looks so awkward, like it just flopped over. There's also no volume at my scalp either, it's extremely flat and looks greasy, even when I've washed it that day.

Does anyone else have this problem? How did you fix it?

I'll post pics in a bit, after it's washed.

Edit: I've figured it out! I was just not using enough shampoo at all. I wasn't getting the entirety of my head washed, leaving a lot of oil that contributed to the problem. I hope this helps someone else who's having the same problem.

MoonRabbit
June 9th, 2017, 01:28 PM
You can try doing an overnight hairstyle for volume. Top buns or high placed braids, so when you take them out you will have lift at the roots. I have so much volume so I can't really relate to none but I know that if I want to change my parting I have to train my hair to part in a different way. If you keep parting it, it will eventually start to look normal.

Ophidian
June 9th, 2017, 02:03 PM
My first thought would be something like a high french braid overnight like MoonRabbit suggested.

Another thing that comes to mind is how you typically wash and dry your hair. I notice that I seem to get more root lift when I wash upside down (bending forward) and then towel plop for a little while before air drying the rest of the way.

lapushka
June 9th, 2017, 02:22 PM
I think what you're describing is pretty normal. A lot of people have a "natural part" in their hair, the spot where it is "willing" to part on its own. I have my part on my right side, if I even attempt my part at the other side, it goes against the grain and my hair does funny things. So I just avoid doing that, and I'm fine. ;)

Cherriezzzzz
June 9th, 2017, 02:40 PM
I fixed this issue switching shampoos. Herbal essence did that to me can't recall which "scent." But there were other ones that do that to my hair as well. Use a cup, put baking soda in it (an inch or so) fill cup up, pour over scalp. Massage well, rinse even better LoL then finish up with vinegar and water rinse.

lapushka
June 9th, 2017, 04:08 PM
I fixed this issue switching shampoos. Herbal essence did that to me can't recall which "scent." But there were other ones that do that to my hair as well. Use a cup, put baking soda in it (an inch or so) fill cup up, pour over scalp. Massage well, rinse even better LoL then finish up with vinegar and water rinse.

Baking soda is very alkaline, that's why it's generally not recommended for hair. Just FYI. :flower:

Kandy
June 9th, 2017, 06:56 PM
I think what you're describing is pretty normal. A lot of people have a "natural part" in their hair, the spot where it is "willing" to part on its own. I have my part on my right side, if I even attempt my part at the other side, it goes against the grain and my hair does funny things. So I just avoid doing that, and I'm fine. ;)

It's very flat though... Does that sound like a sign of a problem, such as product buildup?

I guess I'll do a clarifying shampoo and try and figure it out!

lucid
June 9th, 2017, 07:43 PM
1a F hair tends to be flat with zero volume. I have to use shampoos without silicones and other stuff that can build up, I'm super prone to build up. And I have to use sulfate shampoos. It took me a long time finding the perfect shampoo, but I finally have. I still have flat hair, but it no longer look like it's painted on my scalp :p

Kitty-Zen
June 9th, 2017, 10:18 PM
Lucid, what is your perfect shampoo!?? I have pretty thick hair but I'm prone to buildup/ painted on part as well. I might be shampooing my canopy wrong since I stopped shampooing the lengths I really avoid "scrubbing" it all over, but using my fingertips to zero in on my scalp.

I was without a proper shower for a while so I used to have to dip my head in a large bucket full of water (kind of like a makeshift mermaid soak) and this gave me more volume but my part was still really stubborn.

akurah
June 9th, 2017, 11:29 PM

Please do not put baking soda on your hair. It's going to put it in a bad state.

Kandy
June 10th, 2017, 11:08 AM
What's your perfect shampoo?! I need to know! It sounds like we need the same things out of a shampoo... please share!

Cherriezzzzz
June 10th, 2017, 09:12 PM
Baking soda is very alkaline, that's why it's generally not recommended for hair. Just FYI. :flower:

Oh yes, you're right, but it gets the cones off ;) besides the vinegar is the neutralize factor. It's not strong like a perm, so no damage. The baking soda rinse is like 2 T plus 16 oz water and it's only rinsed, never left on. So the hair has it on there for a minute at most. I thought it was crazy too, till I tried it.

Cherriezzzzz
June 10th, 2017, 09:16 PM
Please do not put baking soda on your hair. It's going to put it in a bad state.

Hahaha it's only meant to be a rinse! And only for clarifying purposes. There's tons of people however that do "no poo" and use it daily. (I'd not recommend that of course.) I've guess LHC isn't baking soda friendly hehe I've received negative feedback when suggesting it from more then one person. I'd ask if you've tried it first? Baking soda is harmless, especially using it as a clarifying once and awhile. Well, to each his own perhaps? :)

akurah
June 10th, 2017, 10:31 PM
Hahaha it's only meant to be a rinse! And only for clarifying purposes. There's tons of people however that do "no poo" and use it daily. (I'd not recommend that of course.) I've guess LHC isn't baking soda friendly hehe I've received negative feedback when suggesting it from more then one person. I'd ask if you've tried it first? Baking soda is harmless, especially using it as a clarifying once and awhile. Well, to each his own perhaps? :)

You're free to draw your own conclusions of course. This article is really more relevant for people who daily wash, but that isn't why I am linking it. You effectively cannot dilute baking soda, not like you think. Scroll down to her pH testing, she had to significantly dilute an already diluted solution of baking soda in order to bring down the pH. http://blog.kanelstrand.com/2014/01/baking-soda-destroyed-my-hair.html?m=1