PDA

View Full Version : Best oils for very dry brittle hair

Mandymandymandy
June 7th, 2017, 11:46 AM
I havnt coloured my hair in two years now and it's grown to about just under jaw length but my problem is that all my new growth is growing out all dry and brittle it also seems to feel very wiery and the colour is so unusual ( like on one strand it is like rigit with different colours going through it )
ive looked online for any tips but I can't find any advice , I used to have shiny healthy new hair growth now it's dull dry snapping and ridgit it looks and feels awful no matter what I do.
i don't colour
i don't use any heated appliances
I only use a claw clip to put my hair up
i wash once a week
I air dry and put it in pigtale plaits when damp
ive had bloods taken and all normal
seen a dermatologist and all he said was dry hair ( wasn't much help )
feeling really depressed as I don't know what to do
i had a baby just over 3 years ago so I doubt hat would be a reason why
I was wondering if there was any oils or anything I could use to help
any help would be apreshiated

mira-chan
June 7th, 2017, 01:09 PM
Having a baby can change your hair type. I have coarse hair and it feels dry to anyone with fine hair, even if it's fully moisturized, because of how thick/ stiff each hair strand is. This may be your new normal after having a baby.

You also mentioned in another thread that you are having some health problems with eating. Hair and nails to the body are least important for function so they will be the first to show the problem and the last to show improvement once your health is better. You said your blood tests are normal. Did the doctor make sure all your vitamin and mineral levels are within normal range, as well as your hormones, and your thyroid functioning. All of those will show effect on hair rather quickly if something is wrong.

If there was a deficiency or imbalance of some kind, it does take a while for the body first to do any internal repair/ balancing, then skin and only last will be hair. So even if everything is fine now it may take several months for the effect to show in hair growth and health.

Have you clarified you hair? If you have, then have you done a deep conditioning treatment? This is just any conditioner kept on for about 20-30 min. Oils can block the moisture from going in if your hair is dry to begin with. Another option is a couple of drops of any oil on damp hair to seal the moisture in.

Wreckinbelle
June 7th, 2017, 01:20 PM
Regarding oils, I think you may need to experiment a little. I was using argan oil but found that it actually dried my hair out And made it brittle and tangled. So I went back to my old faithful coconut oil. Also, last week I tried honey for the first time and was pleasantly surprised at how wonderful my hair felt. It was super soft and silky smooth. This was after a weekend spending 4-hours a day in a chlorinated pool!
Good luck. I hope you find something that works for you!

Anje
June 7th, 2017, 02:47 PM
Different people have luck with different oils, and it might not be oil that your hair needs. Generally, hair needs a combination of water-based moisture, oil, and protein, and the proportions of these can vary from person to person. Lack of any of these can make it seem dry, with subtle differences. Chemical damage, heat damage, product buildup, and mineral buildup are also sources for hair not behaving well, in addition to deficiencies in those first 3, and that's before you take physiological factors into account. Sooooo, it might not be oil that you need, especially if you only wash once per week.

Starting with the basics: Do you use styling products? When was the last time you clarified? Do you have hard water and have you ever chelated your hair? When your hair is wet, does a strand stretch much or a little? Does it break without stretching?

My usual recommendation to hit the high points is to clarify the hair by shampooing all the way to the tips, twice. Follow this with an SMT (link in my signature), and if your hair doesn't hate protein, consider stirring a packet of gelatin into the SMT mix. Leave that in for maybe half an hour, but not more than an hour, then rinse really thoroughly and let it airdry. If you really want to do oil, I'd rub a drop or two of olive oil between your hands and smooth it over your length and ends when your hair is nearly dry. Err on the side of less oil though -- olive is usually great for softness, but it really makes hair clump up, more than most oils I've tried.

Mandymandymandy
June 7th, 2017, 03:06 PM
[QUOTE=mira-chan;3418750]Having a baby can change your hair type. I have coarse hair and it feels dry to anyone with fine hair, even if it's fully moisturized, because of how thick/ stiff each hair strand is. This may be your new normal after having a baby.

You also mentioned in another thread that you are having some health problems with eating. Hair and nails to the body are least important for function so they will be the first to show the problem and the last to show improvement once your health is better. You said your blood tests are normal. Did the doctor make sure all your vitamin and mineral levels are within normal range, as well as your hormones, and your thyroid functioning. All of those will show effect on hair rather quickly if something is wrong.

If there was a deficiency or imbalance of some kind, it does take a while for the body first to do any internal repair/ balancing, then skin and only last will be hair. So even if everything is fine now it may take several months for the effect to show in hair growth and health.

Have you clarified you hair? If you have, then have you done a deep conditioning treatment? This is just any conditioner kept on for about 20-30 min. Oils can block the moisture from going in if your hair is dry to begin with. Another option is a couple of drops of any oil on damp hair to seal the moisture in.[/QUOTE
Thanks for replying
I have had thyroids checked all normal they wouldn't test me for deficiencies in vitamins and that as they said they don't do that anymore for some reason
It's as if it's weak and breaking of everywhere
Yes I've clarified tried conditioner treatments I stay away from proteins now as I found it made it worse
I just don't know what else to try
I also now have protein drinks once a day to see if it's a protein deficiency but I don't know just wish I knew the answer so I can act on it

beneaththetrees
June 7th, 2017, 03:59 PM
I think there's some really good advice in this thread, especially on deep conditioning. My hair tends to be really dry, too, one year after quitting the hair dye, and most oils seem to make it worse. I have no idea if this will have good results on your hair, since everyone's is different, but what seems to work best for me is adding a small amount (about two squirts, or two handfuls) of grapeseed oil to a 250ml bottle of moisturizing conditioner. That goes on my hair post-shampoo, then I put a shower cap on, and use a blowdryer on low heat until my hair feels warm all the way through. I let that soak in for at least 20 minutes, then rinse it out. I only do this about once a week, but it seems to help a lot.

I can't decide if sealing the ends with oil helps or not - it's a very subtle difference for me, if there is one. You may want to experiment with different amounts and different types of oil to see what your hair likes best, although it sounds like it's your new growth you're worried about, not your ends.

My hair also hates protein on its own, but I think it needs it occasionally, so if I start noticing "stretching," (which, maybe is why you're seeing different colors in a single strand? If your hair is rigid, though, that may not be the case) I use a protein conditioner, immediately followed by a deep conditioning treatment with no protein. This seems to work best for me in infrequent amounts, and my hair will be much softer after, whereas before any amount of protein made my hair so, so dry and fragile. This is one of those things, though, that will take some experimentation to find out what works for you, which is so frustrating when you already feel like you've tried everything. Good luck! I hope the process doesn't take too long for you.

Dark40
June 7th, 2017, 07:41 PM
I think the best oil for dry brittle hair is Amla Dubar Indian Hair Oil. I use this oil on my hair just an hour just before I shampoo, and my hair cones out amazingly soft and moisturized! I also use as an oil after blow-drying as well.