PDA

View Full Version : Anxious to color at home, think again.

lapushka
June 6th, 2017, 02:45 AM
This might give you second thoughts. I thought Mo did a well-informed video emphasizing how important coloring is, and if you don't know what you're doing... don't do it. Now this goes beyond just a box dye to change a few shades, of course (we can all do that).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U0owotXfXk

Dark40
June 7th, 2017, 08:10 PM
Thanks for sharing the video! I've been using box dye on my hair for many years ever since I was 18 years old, and now I'm 45. I haven't had any problems with breakage, dryness, or split ends, and that's because I've always kept it well-moisturized. Especially, with the kind of box dye I use. It doesn't break my hair off at all. I love to color at home rather than at a salon! It is a lot cheaper for my budget.

*Wednesday*
June 7th, 2017, 08:30 PM
That was very informative. You do see so many women today unfortunately, their hair is over-processed from over coloring the hair. Many times you could tell it's a box dye and they go too many shades too light or way too dark.

Glitch
June 7th, 2017, 11:13 PM
I completely agree. I totally regret sabotaging my hair at home for about 12 years. I never gave it a second thought until it was finally destroyed and never growing (breaking off all the time). I actually would advise to never dye your hair unless you really want a change, since it involves never-ending maintenance and is damaging. Of course, I'm saying this from my traumatizing experience, but just be safe :p

Ondine11
June 8th, 2017, 06:25 AM
That was truly informative. Thanks! Ironically, when my hair was totally ruined from dye, it was at a salon! It depends so much on the stylist's expertise & ethics. I dye my grey roots only at home, using a very mild tube dye, that I mix with 10 vol peroxide, at home. The dye is Crema Color from Italy, & use a medium brown with a dash of the blue ash modifier to cut red tones. I don't overlap the dye onto the lengths, never over-process, & deep condition.

Where I see box dye catastrophes, is when people veer too far from their natural colour, at home. Going from dark brown to red or blonde, or from light brown or red to jet black at home, is likely to end badly. Trying to do your own highlights or ombre is a bad idea, too.

parallellines
June 11th, 2017, 07:43 PM
Thank you, that video has so much good information.

Learning about the components of hair health and colouring takes a bit of research and is so worth it for healthy hair and scalp. Some people aren't interested enough in that to learn it themselves, which is fine -- that's why hair care professionals stay in business, and there certainly is no shame in asking a professional about making more serious changes to one's hair.