PDA

View Full Version : How to beat the winter dryness?

Periwinkle
October 26th, 2008, 07:47 AM
It's that time of year where for many members of the site, it's starting to get colder, and unfortunately, lots of hair doesn't like it :( At least mine certainly doesn't.

How do you beat dry hair in winter?

I've recently stopped conditioning and just shapooing and oiling, so I tried conditioning the other day in addition to that, but it didn't seem to help. I've been absolutely slathering my hair in oil, which helps, but doesn't really fix the problem!

I'm trying to only use what I have already, and I have some of lush's Retread: does anyone know if that would be any good?

I was thinking about an SMT, but I don't have any aloe vera gel and don't really have the money to buy some (plus I have no liquid no-cone conditioners). I do have an aloe vera plant, though...any ideas anyone?

AngelInDisguise
October 26th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Maybe this thread might be also helpfulf for you: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=14278 - as to beat the static one also needs moisture....

Curlsgirl
October 26th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I don't usually use cones but aloe vera gel is pretty cheap at CVS or Walmart. You can get a tube of the clear in the skin care section for about $2.00 in fact. What helps me the very most for dryness is to not just slather on conditioner and rinse it out but use one that your hair likes to LEAVE in. Oil really only helps to seal in the moisture in so that should go over that leave-in. Also even though I have more expensive cone-free conditioners really the VO5 ones work really great for the rinse outs. Some people even use them for leave-ins though I find I need a thicker one for that and one that is made to leave in. It really would pay you to save your money and get a good one and even then a good one isn't going to break the bank. Beauty Without Cruelty or Giovanni are good cone-free ones. Hope you find something that helps!

suicides_eve
October 26th, 2008, 08:17 PM
i love Nexxus Humcantress(cone free) its so expensive but its a heavy moisturizing conditioner. my curls love it ! It can also be used as a leave in . I take one part conditioner and 2 parts water and dilut in a spray bottle-thee best detangler for dd's 3a hair.

Amara
October 26th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Nothing is nicer than a very light misting for the ends, a bit of shea butter/jojoba, and then bunning. I do this so the ends are resting underneath the rest of my hair and next to my scalp, so they stay warm as they dry. If I do this once every few days (bunned for the whole day) I can tell my hair is much happier.

Honey39
October 27th, 2008, 01:12 AM
I've found that the thing that has made the biggest difference to my hair is using leave-in conditioner; it has transformed my dry ends in a way that oil just couldn't! I'm not sure yet if I should try combining the two, but at the moment, am using a leave-in. I've also used ordinary conditioner as a leave-in, and that had nice effects too.

Aditi
October 27th, 2008, 01:22 AM
I've found that the thing that has made the biggest difference to my hair is using leave-in conditioner; it has transformed my dry ends in a way that oil just couldn't! I'm not sure yet if I should try combining the two, but at the moment, am using a leave-in. I've also used ordinary conditioner as a leave-in, and that had nice effects too.
I agree with you Honey39, And make sure you use wooden or horn comb for your hairs as plastic ones will make static problem much more worse :silly:

ChloeDharma
October 27th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Nothing is nicer than a very light misting for the ends, a bit of shea butter/jojoba, and then bunning. I do this so the ends are resting underneath the rest of my hair and next to my scalp, so they stay warm as they dry. If I do this once every few days (bunned for the whole day) I can tell my hair is much happier.

I agree with this....damp bunning after misting and applying a little oil does wonders for my hair.
What oil are you using?
Also, keep an eye out in holland and barretts for cheap aloe gel, i think they do a smaller tube for in the region of £2. A little splodge of that with a drop of oil like jooba used as a leave in or on misted hair then bunned really does do wonders.
You could fillet a leaf from your plant, but the gel doesn't last long even refigerated. Cut a leaf off, then slice the thorny bits down the sides off, then run the knife along the centre of the leaf, then you can scrape the gel out.
HTH

heidi w.
October 27th, 2008, 08:46 AM
ONE WORD: HUMIDIFIER!

I run two: one in my bedroom and the main part of the house.

The one in my bedroom is rather close to my bed, not way across the room.

heidi w.