PDA

View Full Version : What Shampoo Do You Use?

Kellyy
June 5th, 2017, 02:32 PM
I have been trying to find a new shampoo. I currently use Renpure's Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner. I have never found a shampoo and conditioner that I have absolutely been amazed by and fell in love with. Does anyone know of a great one that is a sulfate-free, natural/organic shampoo that they use?

lapushka
June 5th, 2017, 02:49 PM
I have been trying to find a new shampoo. I currently use Renpure's Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner. I have never found a shampoo and conditioner that I have absolutely been amazed by and fell in love with. Does anyone know of a great one that is a sulfate-free, natural/organic shampoo that they use?

If Renpure is a good one, why not stick with that one?

Shea Moisture is also sulfate-free, and all of those things. ;)

Kellyy
June 5th, 2017, 03:03 PM
If Renpure is a good one, why not stick with that one?

Shea Moisture is also sulfate-free, and all of those things. ;)

I don't know if Renpure is a good one..I just haven't found a shampoo/conditioner that totally amazes me and I want one that I know is good for my hair.

Do you use Shea Moisture? What one do you use specifically and do you like it?

Suze
June 5th, 2017, 03:03 PM

I like the Rainforest Nutrition Moisture shampoo from The Body Shop. Ever tried that one?

lapushka
June 5th, 2017, 03:06 PM
I don't know if Renpure is a good one..I just haven't found a shampoo/conditioner that totally amazes me and I want one that I know is good for my hair.

Do you use Shea Moisture? What one do you use specifically and do you like it?

No I know *of* SM; don't use them personally as I can't use sulfate-free products. I need sulfates (because of a scalp condition).

lapushka
June 5th, 2017, 03:07 PM
I like the Rainforest Nutrition Moisture shampoo from The Body Shop. Ever tried that one?

Aren't they +sulfates instead of sulfate-free? Years ago they were. Didn't know that changed.

Kellyy
June 5th, 2017, 03:11 PM

No I haven't. I actually have never been to The Body Shop. I just looked up reviews on it and it has loads of good reviews; I'll have to check it out! Thanks!

Suze
June 5th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Aren't they +sulfates instead of sulfate-free? Years ago they were. Didn't know that changed.

What is the difference? :o

The bottle says:
No silicones, No sulphates, No colourants, No parabens

These are the ingredients:
Aqua, Sucrose, Disodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Lauryl Betaine, Laureth-5 Carboxylic Acid, Mel, PEG-55 Propylene Glycol Oleate, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Chloride, Glycerin, Parfum, Polyglyceryl-4 Caprate, Sodium Benzoate, Sucrose Laurate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Polyquaternium-6, Salicylic Acid, Citric Acid, Schinziophyton Rautanenii Kernel Oil, Pentaclethra Macroloba Seed Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Tocopherol.

Suze
June 5th, 2017, 03:13 PM
No I haven't. I actually have never been to The Body Shop. I just looked up reviews on it and it has loads of good reviews; I'll have to check it out! Thanks!

You can ask for a sample first. I also like the conditioner and the hairmask but prefer something with silicones.

dancingfrog
June 5th, 2017, 03:24 PM
Right now I'm using the Garnier Whole Blends Honey Treasures and my hair is soft soft soft! I'm using the conditioner too, and haven't experimented to find out if one is making more difference than the other.

lapushka
June 5th, 2017, 03:44 PM
What is the difference? :o

The bottle says:
No silicones, No sulphates, No colourants, No parabens

These are the ingredients:
Aqua, Sucrose, Disodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Lauryl Betaine, Laureth-5 Carboxylic Acid, Mel, PEG-55 Propylene Glycol Oleate, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Chloride, Glycerin, Parfum, Polyglyceryl-4 Caprate, Sodium Benzoate, Sucrose Laurate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Polyquaternium-6, Salicylic Acid, Citric Acid, Schinziophyton Rautanenii Kernel Oil, Pentaclethra Macroloba Seed Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Tocopherol.

Oh thanks for that. Had no idea they were sulfate-free now.

Olavi
June 6th, 2017, 04:05 AM
I currently use XZ's 2-in-1 cola scented kiddie shampoo, but I want to switch to something else once this bottle is finished. Probably I stay with XZ, I have good experience with their shampoos.

Suze
June 6th, 2017, 04:08 AM
Oh thanks for that. Had no idea they were sulfate-free now.

Your welcome. I had no idea they weren't before. I bought this when I had no idea what a sulfate even was but my scalp loves it so it is a keeper. I buy three bottles at a time whenever they have a 40% off sale going on. :o

lapushka
June 6th, 2017, 04:37 AM
Your welcome. I had no idea they weren't before. I bought this when I had no idea what a sulfate even was but my scalp loves it so it is a keeper. I buy three bottles at a time whenever they have a 40% off sale going on. :o

No need to be ashamed. I tend to stock up when there's sales too. I haven't been to a BS in ages though! A little out of my price range, even with the discounts. I do give more money to my styling products, but I have to because stylers don't come cheap and aren't obtainable here, bar the leave-in that comes with some lines.

unheardletters
June 6th, 2017, 05:17 AM
I'm using Maui Moisture.

Dendra
June 6th, 2017, 01:53 PM
At the moment I use sulphates as I need them to remove coconut oil from my hair, and also I find that my fringe won't behave if I use a sulphate-free shampoo. BUT next on my list to try is L'oreal's Everpure range, which is sulphate free. I haven't used it yet but from what I understand it's good value for money.

I used to shampoo with Aveda Shampure, which is sulphate-free but the build up was crazy, and I don't even use styling products. As soon as my hair dried it already felt greasy. So there is an example where expensive is not better, though it smelled amazing.

Suze
June 6th, 2017, 02:49 PM
At the moment I use sulphates as I need them to remove coconut oil from my hair, and also I find that my fringe won't behave if I use a sulphate-free shampoo. BUT next on my list to try is L'oreal's Everpure range, which is sulphate free. I haven't used it yet but from what I understand it's good value for money.

I used to shampoo with Aveda Shampure, which is sulphate-free but the build up was crazy, and I don't even use styling products. As soon as my hair dried it already felt greasy. So there is an example where expensive is not better, though it smelled amazing.

You can get coconut oil out with just conditioner too and then use a (sulphate free) shampoo. :)

No need to be ashamed. I tend to stock up when there's sales too. I haven't been to a BS in ages though! A little out of my price range, even with the discounts. I do give more money to my styling products, but I have to because stylers don't come cheap and aren't obtainable here, bar the leave-in that comes with some lines.

I got a little addicted to the BS because we could buy giftcards through our bank with a value of €35 and pay €17,50. So I bought a few (ok, a lot) of those! :lol:

Minahs
June 6th, 2017, 04:56 PM
I'm currently using TRESemmé keratin smooth, which is giving my hair an amazing shine. Anyway, my goal would be removing as many chemicals as possible during my growing journey... so I'll try to purchase more natural products...

mira-chan
June 6th, 2017, 06:48 PM
Bulk apothecary sulfate free option, by gallon. Lasts years and it's comparatively cheap. I can't use sulfates. I got a nice reminder why I avoid them when I clarified last week and had a scalp scratching party the whole time till next wash.

nekosan
June 6th, 2017, 08:31 PM
I've been using Avalon Organics shampoo and conditioner in lavender; I buy the 32-oz bottles on Amazon. I'm scent-sensitive so my #1 concern is no synthetic fragrance.

EmbracetheHippy
June 7th, 2017, 12:37 AM
I ran out of Ever Pure shampoo. I read a review of Ogx Orchid Oil, but after reading the label, I was afraid it might be too heavy and gum up my hair. I know it responds well to argan oil, so I tried that. What a difference one shampoo made. I have a fair amount of my Matrix Biolage conditioner left, so I didn't buy the companion conditioner, but I will be trying that next!

lapushka
June 7th, 2017, 06:27 AM
Bulk apothecary sulfate free option, by gallon. Lasts years and it's comparatively cheap. I can't use sulfates. I got a nice reminder why I avoid them when I clarified last week and had a scalp scratching party the whole time till next wash.

You know what I'm glad about? That society produces both still, because they could have generally said, it's bad in all products and just left us all who *need* the sulfates in the lurch.

I'm sorry you have such a bad reaction to them, though!

mira-chan
June 7th, 2017, 07:23 AM
You know what I'm glad about? That society produces both still, because they could have generally said, it's bad in all products and just left us all who *need* the sulfates in the lurch.

Agreed. Nothing works for every single person the same. Natural variation makes things interesting. :)

Aredhel
June 7th, 2017, 08:14 AM

Yup! It's funny because my scalp is the kind that itches like crazy without sulfates.:p

lapushka
June 7th, 2017, 08:53 AM
Yup! It's funny because my scalp is the kind that itches like crazy without sulfates.:p

Yep, same here, not to mention that if I persist long enough, my SD flares like no other!

mira-chan
June 7th, 2017, 09:01 AM

Yep, same here, not to mention that if I persist long enough, my SD flares like no other!

Meanwhile I have my too thin, faulty collagen EDS skin that can't handle anything strong on it without falling apart.

Dendra
June 8th, 2017, 03:08 AM
You can get coconut oil out with just conditioner too and then use a (sulphate free) shampoo. :)

Ooh thank you Suze, that's great to know in case I want to switch it up in future :)

It's interesting about scalp itching and sulphates, because this week I've had an itchy scalp ever since I shampooed (with sulphates) and wasn't sure whether it's because I didn't get all of the coconut oil off, didn't rinse the shampoo off properly or used too much shampoo. I accidentally used way more than usual and left it on for longer because I was trying to get the water temperature right. It was a massive load of foam on my head for ages so definitely would have come into contact with my scalp more.

I'll see what happens when I shampoo today...

CindyOfTheOaks
June 8th, 2017, 05:11 PM
I keep going back to plain old Prell

Kellyy
June 8th, 2017, 05:18 PM
Are sulfates not bad for hair? I've just always heard that they're bad for your hair so i've been trying to find natural shampoos but if they increase buildup then I don't want to use them.

mira-chan
June 8th, 2017, 05:48 PM
Are sulfates not bad for hair? I've just always heard that they're bad for your hair so i've been trying to find natural shampoos but if they increase buildup then I don't want to use them.

Not necessarily. They are needed sometimes, especially in areas with hard water or for people with SD. They just tend to be a stronger cleanser. In my case the irritation is to how these detergent molecules interact with my skin. I also react to sulfocinates which are in many "natural" shampoos. I have no issue with cocomedopropyl betaine, which is in things like burts bees and other "natural" shampoo. It's just as strong as sulfates, depending on the concentration in the formulation.

Use what works for you without giving you problems.

Dark40
June 8th, 2017, 09:27 PM
Loreal's EverCreme shampoo and conditioner is sulfate-free. It is excellent for hair! It works amazing for my hair!

lapushka
June 9th, 2017, 03:41 AM

Yes. This! You can try going sulfate-free, but if that causes too much build-up, you can cleanse with a sulfate shampoo say once a month, or once every 2 weeks or so, or even once a week (it depends on how often you wash the hair). I would not give up on sulfate shampoos, if you have no problems with it, is what I'm saying. But I'm also saying, just try once to go sulfate-free.

I wish I could, but I have SD (seborrheic dermatitis) and my scalp is very unforgiving if I don't give it a good cleanse. :(

Ondine11
June 9th, 2017, 05:16 AM
Theorie Helichrysum shampoo, conditioner, & deep conditioner. Very rich & conditioning for my hair. Everything is sulfate free. The only product from their line I don't use, is their heat protectant.

renia22
June 9th, 2017, 06:16 AM

When I was trying to sort out what was true and false about the topic, I found this article to be very helpful:

http://www.paulaschoice.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/definition/sulfates

lapushka
June 9th, 2017, 06:40 AM
When I was trying to sort out what was true and false about the topic, I found this article to be very helpful:

Not a bad one. I would have expected a brand like Paula's Choice to be grossly anti-sulfates, but apparently it's much more of a nuance than that. I liked the article (I like my sulfates too). ;)

renia22
June 9th, 2017, 07:20 AM
Not a bad one. I would have expected a brand like Paula's Choice to be grossly anti-sulfates, but apparently it's much more of a nuance than that. I liked the article (I like my sulfates too). ;)

Oh good, glad you liked it & same here! It was very helpful for me when I was trying to sort things out..

Kellyy
June 9th, 2017, 08:15 AM

Thank you for posting this for me! I have learned so much since I joined here. I just always thought sulfates were super bad and drying because everyone I'd watch on youtube would say that and lots of brands were coming out with sulfate free/natural shampoos.

Kellyy
June 9th, 2017, 08:16 AM
Theorie Helichrysum shampoo, conditioner, & deep conditioner. Very rich & conditioning for my hair. Everything is sulfate free. The only product from their line I don't use, is their heat protectant.

Thank you! I'll have to check these out!

Kellyy
June 9th, 2017, 08:18 AM
Not necessarily. They are needed sometimes, especially in areas with hard water or for people with SD. They just tend to be a stronger cleanser. In my case the irritation is to how these detergent molecules interact with my skin. I also react to sulfocinates which are in many "natural" shampoos. I have no issue with cocomedopropyl betaine, which is in things like burts bees and other "natural" shampoo. It's just as strong as sulfates, depending on the concentration in the formulation.

That makes more sense. I was just always trying to stay away from them because they were reported to apparently dry out your hair and remove your hairs natural moisture and my hair used to be pretty dry so I was always looking for something that was sulfate free.

Kellyy
June 9th, 2017, 08:19 AM
Loreal's EverCreme shampoo and conditioner is sulfate-free. It is excellent for hair! It works amazing for my hair!

I used to use this one! I liked how moisturizing it was but I felt that it didn't give my hair any volume and my hair looked sooo flat to my head and I hated that so I stopped using it haha.

Kandy
June 9th, 2017, 09:20 AM
I've been using Avalon Organics shampoo and conditioner in lavender; I buy the 32-oz bottles on Amazon. I'm scent-sensitive so my #1 concern is no synthetic fragrance.

Ooh, I've been interested in getting that. How cleansing is it?

littlestarface
June 9th, 2017, 09:58 AM
I use tresemme naturals radiant volume shampoo, its perfect for my scalp.

renia22
June 9th, 2017, 11:37 AM
Thank you for posting this for me! I have learned so much since I joined here. I just always thought sulfates were super bad and drying because everyone I'd watch on youtube would say that and lots of brands were coming out with sulfate free/natural shampoos.

I know it's crazy, everyone is trying to make a buck peddling their supposedly superior products, and much of the conclusions circulating around are based on false, misleading and cherry picked misinformation. A lot has to do with quality of materials used, concentrations, overall formulations, etc. This is true for both sulfate and sulfate free products. Being drying or irritating and being sulfate free are not mutually exclusive, and a product with sulfates can be gentle, it really depends on the overall formula. Paula Begoun has some great info & reviews, as do thebeautybrains.com. That's another good website to check when you aren't sure if some beauty product related info is true or not.

twill
June 9th, 2017, 11:25 PM
I used to use TreSemme products (specifically the Split Remedy and/or Anti-Breakage)... until I realized the Split Remedy shampoo was making my hair fall out.

When I realized that, it was a matter of, "Okay what shampoo is currently in the shower OTHER than the one that makes my hair fall out?" I was still living with my parents at the time, so there were other shampoo options available, including a huge bottle of Pantene Pro-V Sheer Volume shampoo, which I'm still using. I've been pretty happy with this one. It's not too heavy or too light for my hair, it doesn't smell awful (although when you're in the shower it has a bit of a strong fake strawberry smell to it), and it leaves my hair nice and shiny.

Kellyy
June 10th, 2017, 02:02 AM
I know it's crazy, everyone is trying to make a buck peddling their supposedly superior products, and much of the conclusions circulating around are based on false, misleading and cherry picked misinformation. A lot has to do with quality of materials used, concentrations, overall formulations, etc. This is true for both sulfate and sulfate free products. Being drying or irritating and being sulfate free are not mutually exclusive, and a product with sulfates can be gentle, it really depends on the overall formula. Paula Begoun has some great info & reviews, as do thebeautybrains.com. That's another good website to check when you aren't sure if some beauty product related info is true or not.

Thank you! I'll definitely have to check out those sites. I usually read a ton of reviews before buying products but I was never even looking at products with sulfates. I guess I should just look for a shampoo that just works for my hair instead of completely being terrified of sulfates hahaha

lapushka
June 10th, 2017, 06:30 AM

Avalon Organics isn't bad. I have used them in the past, and am normally a heavy sulfate user. I have to say this brand, and Urtekram weren't the worst sulfate-free shampoos I've had.

renia22
June 10th, 2017, 02:36 PM
Thank you! I'll definitely have to check out those sites. I usually read a ton of reviews before buying products but I was never even looking at products with sulfates. I guess I should just look for a shampoo that just works for my hair instead of completely being terrified of sulfates hahaha

Same here, I like to see what reviews say first, and for years I only would get sulfate free. When I went back to conventional products nothing bad happened, and actually I have found I like them a lot better, as long as I'm using something for my hair type (and to help with crappy well water that makes my hair feel gross :/ ).

nekosan
June 11th, 2017, 03:17 PM
I've been using it for 15 or so years, and it works well for me. They also have a lemon cleansing variety, which I picked up for "clarifying".

Liminally
June 13th, 2017, 06:10 AM
I always keep coming back to the L'Oreal Everpure moisture (the original pink bottles). I try expensive shampoos now and then and when I'm out, this is always the one I reach back to. Not going to lie, the Rosemary scent is a factor.

I'm currently rotating that with Kevin Murphy's repair me wash. Smells great, is difficult to really suds or work through dirty hair, and is expensive. I do, however, recommend their repair me treatment. It's like a two in one but it's luscious.

Barefootgirl431
January 30th, 2018, 01:05 PM
I like Nature's Gate Tea Tree Shampoo.

Joyful Mystery
January 30th, 2018, 02:16 PM
I like Desert Essence. I switch between that and Avalon Organics. I also like Free & Clear shampoo and conditioner, which is formulated for sensitive skin.

wannabe-rusalka
January 30th, 2018, 09:04 PM
Right now I'm using Chagrin Valley Garden Herb Shampoo Bar- it smells like I'm walking through a field of herbs and spices yum

lapushka
February 1st, 2018, 09:42 AM
I'm about to jump into a new "have to use this up" bottle, by Novalis - an Aloe Vera shampoo. I mean I'll be washing with it this coming Sunday.
http://www.proteztirnakcim.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/10-1.jpg

I still have the old packaging, though. I didn't even realize this shampoo was still around. ;)

gustavonut
February 1st, 2018, 10:03 AM
I’m using John Frieda go blonder shampoo every other wash day, Hello Hydration shampoo, and HH clarifying shampoo.
I’ve also been thinking of trying out Lush shampoo once again but not sure if I will or not.

chiapommama
February 1st, 2018, 03:10 PM
For me it's pantene beautiful lengths. I know it's full of sulfates, but I like it.

lapushka
February 1st, 2018, 04:48 PM
For me it's pantene beautiful lengths. I know it's full of sulfates, but I like it.

I use sulfates too, no need to apologize for it. :)

Ophidian
February 1st, 2018, 05:13 PM
I'm using and adoring Acure Argan Ultra Hydrating shampoo.

Luvmyhubby
February 1st, 2018, 05:39 PM
I use the Live Clean Árgan Oil shampoo. The conditioner too.

Dark40
February 1st, 2018, 08:24 PM
Loreal Evercreme product line is sulfate-free. Both their shampoos and conditioners. They also have a cleansing balm that I use regularly too. That really work my hair lots of wonders!

MusicalSpoons
February 3rd, 2018, 12:41 PM
I use the neutral shampoo by Natura Siberica. It doesn't always make my hair feel fluffily clean but does a good job and keeps my scalp happy. I've actually found that my scalp is (finally!) producing a little less sebum than it ever used to; I wouldn't say it's drastically less but I have been able to tweak my routine as a result. (We'll have to wait and see what summer brings.)

ETA: it's sulphate- and silicone-free, and coco-betaine is a little way down the ingredients list, so much more gentle than other sulphate-free shampoos I've tried.

Robi-Bird
February 3rd, 2018, 01:17 PM
I have three Garnier Frustis I cycle through, one wash I'll use one, next wash I'll use another, seems to keep my scalp happy. Right now I have Grow Strong, Triple Butter, and Damage Erase and Repair.