PDA

View Full Version : A trip to the hairdresser confirmed my worst fears...

Thrasher07
October 26th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Yesterday was my uncle's wedding and I was a bridesmaid, so this meant hair-hating hair-dos. My style was a bouffant do with like a twist to a side and the ends curled. But the girl doing it was so rough!!! She pulled, back-combed, wrenched a comb through it from the roots, drenched in hairspray and curled while the hair was still wet with hairspray, I could hear it sizzling and snapping. Eveyone's tried to tell me that one day won't harm it, but i'm sceptical. I wouldn't touch it until I'd washed it, and I'm now here sitting with it wet waiting to see how it's turned out. Am I worrying too much, and what can I do to try and help it?

LutraLutra
October 26th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Don't panic, like they said - I'm sure a one off won't hurt your hair, just be extra gentle with your hair for the next few days, lots of oil and deep conditioning. You'll be fine, and I'm sure more experienced LHC's will say the same. :grouphug:

ChloeDharma
October 26th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Ok, i'll do my best to word this gently...you heard it breaking and the treament was rough, it will have been damaged to some degree and some hairs snapped.
But as has been said it was only one day so it's not like you do it regularly so i expect the damage wont be too obvious.
Just baby your hair like i expect you already do and it should be fine.
If you find yourself in that kind of situation again it might be an idea to find out what hairstyle they want from you beforehand and work out a gentler way of achieving it yourself.

Carolyn
October 26th, 2008, 07:41 AM
One day of hair spray won't harm it. It will wash out. Hopefully there won't be much damage from the rough treatment and hair snapping. I would do a nice heavy oiling and then a SMT to baby your hair. I'm sorry you had to deal with such an awful hair dresser.

annarose
October 26th, 2008, 10:37 AM
I feel for you Thrasher07, I'm in a wedding in a few weeks and am dreading the updo :sad.

I've already had one hair-snapping, back-combing, rough-handling job done for a trial and now we've changed salons. When asked if I want another trial I declined, I'd rather look a bit goofy the wedding day than go through that three times. Besides, it's the bride that has to look amazing not me :wink:

gallows_gallery
October 26th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I TOTALLY sympathise. I had my dad's wedding in June and the hairdresser was really rough, used loads of hairspray, teasing around the roots and a sizzling cone-curler.

It took me about 15 conditions and LOADS of combing to get it out, and I loast about fifteen times more hair than normal.

BUT!! Don't stress - it's just one event, and after I'd washed it all and dried it there was no noticeable difference.

Peggy E.
October 26th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Sometimes we simply have to make these sacrifices for the sake of those we love.... :o(

Is there no way you can put your own hair up and not have to go through that salon killing nonsense? Just match up the flowers, a sprig in your hair, whatever?

Just wondering....

spidermom
October 26th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I'm so embarrassed to look at my hair from my son's wedding pictures that I will never have a salon-done wedding (or any special occasion) up-do again. No wait - every time I state an absolute - I end up having to do it. So to avoid a special occasion wherein I have broken all of my fingers and absolutely cannot do it myself, let me just say that, if at all possible, I would prefer to do my own special-occasion hair from now on.

MadHatter
October 26th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I feel for you Thrasher07, I'm in a wedding in a few weeks and am dreading the updo :sad.

I've already had one hair-snapping, back-combing, rough-handling job done for a trial and now we've changed salons. When asked if I want another trial I declined, I'd rather look a bit goofy the wedding day than go through that three times. Besides, it's the bride that has to look amazing not me :wink:

Wow. If it were me, I'd make it abundantly clear that N-O-B-O-D-Y is touching my hair but me. To hell with what they'd want to do with my hair.

hippie girl
October 26th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Wow. If it were me, I'd make it abundantly clear that N-O-B-O-D-Y is touching my hair but me. To hell with what they'd want to do with my hair.

That is the answer, right there.

Eryka
October 26th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Your friends wedding is her special day. So tell her that if she ever puts you in the salon again everyone will remember the murderous poofball that was her bridesmaid. She won't get any of the attention. :demon:

GlennaGirl
October 26th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Oh, they tend to be REALLY rough for wedding 'dos. I think they're looking for maximum impact and also "staying power" since you'll be wearing it all day, dancing in it, etc...so there's not as much room for gentleness.

I had a hairdresser do my hair for my first wedding. She was normally very gentle but for my wedding 'do, she backcombed, sprayed until I could barely move my head...in the end, it did stay the entire day which was the purpose.

invisiblebabe
October 26th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Who says everyone in a wedding needs an updo? Why not just have your hair down, or have a nice crown braid or French braid combination done?

Ponytale
October 26th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Yup--been there! I went for the "trial" for a friend's wedding, and came home with big silly 1960s back-combed hair. I told the bride nicely that I was doing it myself for her day. (Truthfully--she had me working for 1.5 years on every weekend day I had off from work for her "dream wedding", so that was a small sacrifice on her part. Her wedding so tired me out that we had a non-traditional medieval wedding instead--I still love my wedding picture with long waves I did myself".)

Anyway--one day is not too bad. Once in a while, even though I am gentle, I do bad things (not washing honey treatments out properly, bad updos, etc.) and end up losing a lot of hair on my own!

DarkChocolate
October 26th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I feel for you. Hugs:)
I was an extra in a film and the lady ripped through my hair and put fifty bobby pins in.
I had to leave my hair up for two days and when I took it down I lost what seemed like a quarter of my hair volume.
I was very upset:(

Amara
October 26th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Luckily the weddings I've been in, people have been happy to let me style myself.

One thing I've never understood is: the bride has all that crazy hair crap to wash out on the wedding night, yes? What a pain. Honey, wait a couple of hours ok, I need to get my hair clean." Or if she *doesn't* wash it out first... imagine the detangling etc after. *shudder*

longhairedfairy
October 26th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Luckily the weddings I've been in, people have been happy to let me style myself.
One thing I've never understood is: the bride has all that crazy hair crap to wash out on the wedding night, yes? What a pain. Honey, wait a couple of hours ok, I need to get my hair clean." Or if she *doesn't* wash it out first... imagine the detangling etc after. *shudder*

Oh, my gosh! I had never even thought about that! What a nightmare.

As long as you can keep them from back-combing it will probably be okay. One day is not likely to do extensive damage. The first time I was in a wedding my hair was pulled up and curled with an iron and more hair spray than I had ever seen in my entire life, lol. It was kind of annoying to get out, but the damage from just one day was not noticeable.

Sarahmoon
October 27th, 2008, 04:57 AM
I don't really understand why you don't get to choose your own style? With al the advice on this forum there are a lot of options you could do yourself with a little practice and would look perfect for a wedding.

Anyway, for those that have no choice: good luck. Maybe you can try to convince the hair dresser to detangle your hair yourself, put some coconut or jojoba oil in it for protection and deep condition afterwards? Just my 2 cents.

minkstole
October 27th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Just remember to brush out the hairspray before you sleep on your hair.

aries
October 27th, 2008, 05:26 AM
My husband and I did a vow renewal last June and by the time we were almost done with the reception part, my hair (which was in curls and small braids woven around them) was breaking off at the bobby pins. She put so much stuff in my hair then straightened, curled and straightened the little braids again when done to seal all the small hairs poking out that I knew it was damaged several inches beyond repair. I had to get a few inches cut off and it took over 2 hours if I remember correctly to get all the hair pins out then blob SMT into my hair, in the middle of the night by this point, that my husband had already fallen asleep. All this with the help of my MOH before she went home.

All in all my hair came through fairly well after several SMT's and that trim but I will never do the salon thing again. It was worth it that one time because I was doing everyone else's hair and makeup and didn't have time for my own hair.

Don't fret just make sure to do a ton of conditioning on it and pamper it when all is done.