PDA

View Full Version : iii+ types, give me some hope

Requiax
March 21st, 2008, 11:11 PM
The one thing that almost daily makes me want to chop, is my inability to get my thick hair into a decent updo. I'm a little past waist and still finding that there's not enough hair for anything other than a cinnamon bun. Even those start to look messy because the hair just slips out in no time. I've tried sticks, forks, even a ficcare and it's still slip city. Swirly, equilibrium, figure 8, chinese, the diameter of my ponytail is just too big to accomplish any of these. This discouragement is what led to last year's chop.

So, I'm begging here, what works for you other iii+ types?

akurah
March 21st, 2008, 11:27 PM
Barring all else, you can have someone cut bangs into your hair. Depending on how they cut it, it might take as much as an inch off your circumference, enabling you to do the styles you want.

There are people at my length (and shorter!) who can do a figure 8. I can't even get all of my hair into the shape of a figure 8, nevermind trying to secure it. So I do feel your pain.

ETA: Have you tried a french twist? Its one of the few styles I've recently mastered that i can actually get my hair to do. A log roll might also be an option if you've too much hair for a twist.

spidermom
March 21st, 2008, 11:31 PM
Sometimes doing 2 buns so close together that they look like one intricate bun is a good solution for thick hair. I do this quite often.

sahiba
March 21st, 2008, 11:35 PM
I would recommend a single braid with a beautiful band secured at the end to make it look pretty.

jojo
March 21st, 2008, 11:57 PM
I second a braid, i love seeing a big fat juicy braid

eadwine
March 22nd, 2008, 12:07 AM
Ok I am a thinny, but I have a different idea to bring in. Do share pictures of what you CAN do with your hair. All the positive feedback you will definitely get from all of us is something to look back on when you get that urge again.

I second the bangs, if you don't have them yet, or in the worst case: layers. Just don't have them done up too high.

Requiax
March 22nd, 2008, 12:42 AM
The two buns thing is an idea I've tried in the past, maybe more practice would help reduce the Princess Leia look. ;) What the situation calls for is one good go-to style for work, that I don't have to mess with, it has to be properly up at the hospital, no braids (I can't braid to save my life anyway)
There's too much mass for a French twist, it looks likes there's an extra head growing under it. Anyone have a link to log roll instructions for thick hair?

If cut any of it I'm cutting all of it. I just spent 3 years growing out bangs & layers, I'm not going there again. :)

The list of things I can do with it:
messy cinnamon bun
pony tail

snowbear
March 22nd, 2008, 12:43 AM
I have very thick hair, and I've grown it out from my shoulders. (I'm currently at hip length.) You will get there, but it will go slowly. I did half-ups, peacock twists, and ponytails. Get fun clips and enjoy yourself!

Requiax
March 22nd, 2008, 01:21 AM
Sorry if I seem grumpy. I'm just aggravated by my hair at the moment, I do appreciate your help! Here's a pic of my bun, it's usually better anchored with ends tucked, this is just to give an idea of the size.http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/3893/img1970sm8.jpg

eadwine
March 22nd, 2008, 01:56 AM
Whoa.. yeah that would be iiii hair I think. Gee..

How about two strands doing that same thing you have there? First do one, then the other around it?

Guenever
March 22nd, 2008, 03:46 AM
Oh wow!! :bigeyes: iiii hair indeed! I love your hair! Hehe, that's maybe not what you want to hear since you're annoyed with it.. but I can't help it! Being an ii I would kill for your thickness!^^ (the grass is always greener....... I guess :wink:)

Okay, maybe you've already tried these, but I have to ask :)
Have you tried some kind of log roll variation? what would look awesome with your thick hair.. mine just look pathetic, that's why I suggest it.. it needs a lot of hair to look good =)
Or the victorian updo..? You know, a topsy tail, a selected amount of braids down the length and pull them through the topsytail hole..
You can't braid it and bun it, either?

Anyway - you may be mad atm but I really do think that it looks beautiful! :blossom: And think about it this way - it can only get better from here.. as you gain length, you may be able to make more and more updos.. On the other hand if you cut you'll have to go through this phase again -- and if you really cant classic.. go for it =) It's going to look fantastic!^^

Faepirate
March 22nd, 2008, 03:49 AM
Half-up?

Either that, or I twist it and fold it up at the back of my head and fasten it with one of these:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=233&pictureid=3427

(That was when my hair was a lot shorter, but even at almost waist-length I can still get all my hair up like that if I twist properly and fasten it near the top. It looks quite elegant, too. :))

Most clips are useless because I can't get all my hair in and I've broken quite a few in the attempt! So I don't bother with those unless I'm doing half-ups.

Sometimes, also, if I split the hair into a few braids then it somehow appears thinner and goes up more easily. You can do some cute/creative things with multiple braids, too. :]

quidscribis
March 22nd, 2008, 05:31 AM
Requiax, that is one beautiful bun!

I can't do anything with mine - it's too short at four or five inches below shoulders. Well, that, and I, personally, am completely inept. :)

icydove
March 22nd, 2008, 06:13 AM
You will be able to do different buns as you gain more length. However, what other people can do at waist or hip, may take you until tailbone or even classic. The suggestions about splitting your hair into sections is a good one. You could make a bun with one section, and then add the other section as embellishment.

I'm also thinking you could try a log roll or some variation of it.

florenonite
March 22nd, 2008, 07:32 AM
I remember seeing one article on the old LHC for cinnabuns for iii hair. The author recommends portioning off a section of hair at the bottom of the ponytail and wrapping it around the base of the ponytail then bunning the rest as usual. You could also try a Moezland bun, which I can't describe myself but someone else might have instructions.

Elfling
March 22nd, 2008, 07:43 AM
What about a long braid that you double or triple over and secure at the top with a slide/ficcare?

cindy58
March 22nd, 2008, 07:46 AM
Braiding part of your hair sounds like a good idea. When I was growing my bangs out, I started french braiding at my hairline in front to pull them in. You can fasten that in a higher half up with a pretty clip and then bun the hair below. I used a single hair stick to fasten it. You can also go directly from the french braid and twist the hair below into a bun. Sometime I put a large clip "below" the bun, which both looked pretty and lifted the style a bit.

I found that the french braid takes up more hair than you might think! So more hair ends up on top of your head in the braid rather than the bun, which can give a little height too. My braid is secure, but I wouldn't call it tight.

icydove
March 22nd, 2008, 08:20 AM
I remember seeing one article on the old LHC for cinnabuns for iii hair. The author recommends portioning off a section of hair at the bottom of the ponytail and wrapping it around the base of the ponytail then bunning the rest as usual.

This is probably the Cinnamon Bun Variation for III hair by Terrilein. I can find it on Yahoo!, but the cached version won't pull up and the other link is broken. You might try sending her a message to see if she has the article saved or could just give you the instructions.

chelles2kids
March 22nd, 2008, 09:01 AM
Try putting your hair up either wet/damp, this tends to hold my hair better for all day long styles.

My fav. are infinities, and a modified cinnamon bun (sorry I don't have any way to take pictures right now). Basicallly it's the same concept as a cinnamon bun, but while inserting your hair stick, take and push the outer layes underneath the bun, for some reason this helps to anchor mine better and it holds like glue.
Those are my two everyday styles.

Hopefully DBF, Elle or Hairstorm will see this thread and be able to suggest some styles they use on a regular basis. I know that Elle uses a modified Chinese bun, but I can't for the life of me remember how she did it (I sooo miss the old journals).

Michelle

Elle
March 22nd, 2008, 05:26 PM
...I know that Elle uses a modified Chinese bun, but I can't for the life of me remember how she did it (I sooo miss the old journals).

Michelle
RL and I have been working on new articles and we're nearly done with the tutorial for this bun. I'll post the link to it later today. The updo in my sig is what Michelle's talking about except it's a little bit of a different version of the modified bun, or what I've named the Japanese bun. :grin:

Elle
March 22nd, 2008, 08:52 PM
Your hair is beautiful! :flower: At waistlength, I think your hair is long enough to put up into this bun. My hair's pretty thick and this updo is really comfortable. I don't even need to use any hairpins. The main thing to remember is to keep you hair taut when putting it up into this bun. I hope it helps!

Elle's Japanese Bun (http://www.castlemountaindesigns.com/techniques/japanese_bun.htm)

tiny_teesha
March 23rd, 2008, 05:05 AM
wow, i'll trade your hair for mine any day!!!!
Maybe you should get layers to thin it out? perhaps?
Or try monistat so it grows out from this phase fast? or stop washing your scalp so you shed a lot so it is thinner.....
i dunno....just trying to help!
I think that you will be happy to have such thick hair once your hair is longer.
I mean...the fact that it is slippery only means good things!!! ( it is healthy!) How i long for slippery hair!!!

Ursula
March 23rd, 2008, 06:48 AM
At waist length, I was pretty much cinnamon buns only. Not enough length to wrap around itself for much else. I was able to do a figure-8 around hip length, and a log roll became practical around tailbone. I still can't necessarily do all of the swirly type buns, in part because it is hard to reach through the thick coil to do the various pull-throughs.

As far as the cinnamon buns slipping out, you might try fastening them with sticks/fork as usual, then try using a hairpin (an Amish pin, or a larger "roller" bobby pin) where your ends tuck under, to keep them from sliding out. Or try fastening a bun with pins all the way around - at that length, I would use 8 pins, evenly distributed around the circumference of the bun, with their legs locking together with each other in the middle of the bun.

Braids were also quite useful at that length, both down and pinned into braided buns. A dutch braid base braided bun (do a short dutch braid section, then wrap the length of the braid around that) is quite stable, and might work well for you.

You might also look for sticks and forks that are sanded smooth and oiled from natural wood, rather than things that are lacquered shiny or dymondwood - a little more grip, I find, than the glossy pieces.

Xandergrammy
March 23rd, 2008, 07:08 AM
I think that bun is amazing. Do you know that some people would sell their firstborn for a bun like that?? :gabigrin:

Requiax
March 23rd, 2008, 07:38 AM
Thanks guys, the encouragement on this board is wonderful. I've tried the styles being recommended, and with some different hair toys and practice the folded braid will be a great solution. The ficcare slips and ends up pulling painfully after a few minutes, so maybe a flexi-8 or something will be better. Time for some retail therapy!

Onebeauty
March 23rd, 2008, 11:51 AM
The thing that gives me some variety with my hair is the following:

1. I put my hair in a low ponytail. From there I have a couple of options - a "regular" bun or some fancy look.

2. For a regular bun, I divide the tail into half. Wrapping around the hanging portion of the tail, I start the bun, tucking the ends under when I'm done. Then I take the hanging portion and start coiling and wrapping that around the first "bun". The result is a very intricate looking cinnabun that is evenly distributed on the head and can be held with a couple of hairsticks or some pins.

3. For a fancier look, divide the tail into three or more sections. Take each section separately and braid - whatever style you like. I've done rope and english. Secure at the end of each braid with a small clear pony holder. Wrap as above and secure with sticks or pins. This one LOOKS like you worked on it all day but it really doesn't take long at all.

Curlsgirl
March 23rd, 2008, 12:21 PM
Braids really have been the lifesaver for me! At almost 30 inches I can still barely do a figure 8 or infinity and not always, depends on how "compact" my hair is that day! I LOVE the Flexi 8s but am not always as successful with the Ficcares getting them to hold without pulling on my scalp.

I know you said you CAN'T braid but the only way you are going to learn is to practice. I used to practice every day for about 20 minutes or so until I got better. If you can't do braiding it will really limit you and probably be very frustrating. I love sectioning a pony tail into 3 braids and then wrapping them around each other. I always get compliments on this and it looks a lot harder than it is!

What is your ponytail circumference anyway or did I miss that? Mine is about 5 inches after it dries curly and then gets a bit smaller as it gets dirtier or more compact. It is frustrating but I wouldn't trade it either!

Requiax
March 23rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
I can do simple English braids and that's it, French, Dutch etc are beyond me. My circumference is 4.5-5" dry, combed and compressed tight. Thickness is probably only half my problem, ineptitude and slippyness the other half.

I just bought 2 flexi's and two ketylos, hopefuly they'll help tame the beast. :D

Euphony
March 23rd, 2008, 12:55 PM
Hmmmm my circumference is 4.5" pretty solidly, but like you sometimes it's higher (what the heck causes that anyway!?!). I can't do a cinnamon bun, okay it sadly doesn't look like a cinnamon bun - it's a circle then I've got just enough hair do do a teeny twist under, but I can't get it to stay. I can however do a figure 8, an infinite, a bee butt and I can do a Chinese bun but have no clue if it'll hold because I think it looks like a little hiney so I take it out after I look in the mirror. Have you tried a bee butt secured with a pony tail holder or scrunchi? Those are all the 'do's I can do though at my length, but I also have layers I'm growing out (my bangs are at bsl) so that might be why I'm able to do the ones I can do. I understand your frustration, it'll get better the longer it gets. Last September (right before my siggy pic was taken) I was finally able to do a figure 8, many times it'd fall, then poof - it held, now it's my standard 'do especially since it takes me less than a minute with a hair stick!

Curlsgirl
March 23rd, 2008, 01:00 PM
I can do simple English braids and that's it, French, Dutch etc are beyond me. My circumference is 4.5-5" dry, combed and compressed tight. Thickness is probably only half my problem, ineptitude and slippyness the other half.

I just bought 2 flexi's and two ketylos, hopefuly they'll help tame the beast. :D

Great! I know believe me about the updo ineptitude! I love the Flexi 8s but it did take me a while to get used to using them. They are very comfy too which I love and very lightweight so less likely to cause scalpaches which I get pretty easily! It also took me a while to learn to french braid and now the only kinds still I can do are English, French and Dutch. Good luck!!!

Miss Murphy
March 24th, 2008, 11:41 AM

Well, if you can do a basic english braid, I strongly suggest a braided bun. My hair is only BSL and ii, but that's my go-to style. It's just so quick to do, and always holds.

And your bun is awesome. Just wanted that mentioned :cool:

Polyhex
March 24th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Sometimes doing 2 buns so close together that they look like one intricate bun is a good solution for thick hair. I do this quite often.

I just want to second this recommendation. When you section your hair you will be dividing it into two ii-ish strands and you will be able to do many more buns with each ii strand. The other thing I did at that length was section my hair, make one bun, and then arrange the second section around the first.

AprilElf
March 24th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Hi Requiax :)
Your hair is thicker than mine (I'm 4" circumference), but I'd recommend you try the Orchid Bun/Wrap.
There was a thread for it over at The Beauty Bottle (http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/showthread.php?t=1325).

I'm not sure if the way I do it makes it a wrap or a bun, but it's my never-fail 'do at the moment.
I use the instructions that Diamondbell posted over there:

1) You make an unsecured pony - twist the coil and bring it upwards close to the scalp and make U-turn toward the left. Now flip this U-turn once towards the left. (The tail is now hanging on the left side and you have just made a loop) [Keep the thumb and middle-finger in the loop you just made by having flipped the U.
2) Bring the hanging tail upwards to the right, and now pull the tail through the loop (back to front) and pull the tail once more on the right side and tuck it in.
3)Now you can secure it with hairsticks 1 o'clock to 7 o'clock and 10 o'clock to 5 o'clock or use just one hair stick. (I use two). ... but with one slight difference - I don't pull the tail right through the loop. This creates a small loop that helps secure the bun with a diagonal hairstick.

tuuli
March 24th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Wohaaa, thats a lovely head of hair! :inlove:
I would do quite anything for such an impressive bun like yours. :)
Have you tried a chinese bun yet?

kissedbyfyre
March 24th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Ah the joy of thick hair. I wasn't able to do ANYTHING with mine aside from braids until I was beyond waist. When my hair was too short and thick for buns, I used a lot of the medium sized claw clips to hold up buns. Granted, I'd have about 4 or 5 of the clips holding up the buns but it worked as long as I positioned the clips opposite of one another. I also did a lot of the duel buns look too. It looked really cute until my hair got longer.

Have you also tried braids?? Granted, if your's is anything like mine, the braid will eat up just about all of the length but it's something to get the hair out of the way.

Snoods and hair wraps also work as well for keeping the hair up and out of your face.

curlylocks85
February 5th, 2015, 02:18 PM
*BUMP*

The one thing that almost daily makes me want to chop, is my inability to get my thick hair into a decent updo. I'm a little past waist and still finding that there's not enough hair for anything other than a cinnamon bun. Even those start to look messy because the hair just slips out in no time. I've tried sticks, forks, even a ficcare and it's still slip city. Swirly, equilibrium, figure 8, chinese, the diameter of my ponytail is just too big to accomplish any of these. This discouragement is what led to last year's chop.

So, I'm begging here, what works for you other iii+ types?

My hair is just barely APL, but it is THICK. I find that if I want to produce a decent up style, I have to split my hair, meaning that I would have to do a double bun; one higher, one lower. Half ups work too. I guess us iii+er's need mega length to achieve what comes so easily to other's with shorter lengths. :cool:

lapushka
February 5th, 2015, 02:44 PM
My hair was waist/hip before a bun became possible. So... yeah.