PDA

View Full Version : Do you cover your hair to avoid UV damage?

Dendra
June 5th, 2017, 07:08 AM
I've heard that the sun can cause damage to your hair and make it duller, so since I live in a hot country now I've taken to wearing a straw hat every day.

However, this makes a lot of hairstyles impossible, and also my hair snags on the rough bits of straw in the crown of the hat (I plan on sewing a silk lining in when I can, or covering those parts with masking tape).

So, do you cover your hair with something to protect it from damage or just go au naturel and not worry about it?

Sorry if there is already a thread on this - I searched and couldn't find one!

enting
June 5th, 2017, 07:30 AM
I do cover my hair outside most of the time. I discovered that keeping it protected allows it to grow far more and better than it ever did before in my life. It may have had more damage from wind than from UV, but I didn't separate the two types of damage. I usually use headscarves. If I do wear a straw hat, I wear it over a scarf. I have an adjustable straw visor or crownless hat that can fit around my head, hair, and scarf. It is more for protecting my face and neck, as the scarf takes care of my hair. Something like that might give you more hairstyling options, as it is crownless.

Sewing a lining into your hat sounds like a good approach. Masking tape can itself be snaggy if any edges come up. If you do use silk, the hat may slip off your head more easily. You may then also want to look into getting a hatpin or adding a chin strap.

A different UV protective alternative is using a leave-in with UV protection, I understand there are hair sunscreens.
Another alternative is carrying a parasol. I use my umbrella sometimes, as I don't have a parasol. They're essentially the same thing, anyway, right?

If you have greater concern for the length and don't mind the roots getting a bit of sun, you could also consider a bun cover. If it isn't solid fabric you could still use most hairtoys with it.

Dendra
June 5th, 2017, 07:46 AM
Some great tips here, thank you enting! It sounds like you've thought about this issue a lot too.

I did try and wear my hat with my silk scarf underneath but my head absolutely baked, so I might have to wait until I can sew a thinner bit of silk in.

I do own a leave in spray with UV that I use on my lengths and ends but I'm too scared to spray it on my roots in case it makes them greasy!

Since headscarves don't really suit me I guess I'm looking for some sort of miracle hat that doesn't snag and allows me more of a range of hairstyles. What about a cotton bucket hat?

MidnightMoon
June 5th, 2017, 07:59 AM
I don't, because I'm basically a vampire haha (hate the sun and avoid it), but when I go out during the day, I wear a hat. It feels like felt to the touch, not sure what it's made of. I guess what I do doesn't account for much, because even if I do go out without it, it definitely isn't for longer than a short while. I've heard people use sprays that act like hair sunscreen, or even put regular sunscreen on it.
I also have the issue with not being able to wear my hair up while wearing hats. Perhaps you could get a parasol if you want to wear your hair up, not damage it, but stay protected from the sun?
It's uncomfortable if you want to walk around in the city, but usually there's enough buildings to shade you from the sun there. If you go for a walk, to the park or to the countryside a good parasol or uv blocking umbrella are good options too.

MidnightMoon
June 5th, 2017, 08:01 AM
Also make sure your hat is thick and doesn't have any holes in it. I think straw hats are a bit less effective for covering from the sun than other materials.

enting
June 5th, 2017, 08:02 AM
You're welcome!
I never gave a thought to it really until I noticed my hair gaining length after keeping it covered for other reasons. Now I'm more committed to protecting it to some degree from the elements.

How do you usually like to style your hair? At the crown of your head? At the back around the middle? At the nape? That may change which hat style would suit you better. Generally, the higher you want to base your hairstyle, the shallower the crown should be, unless you go with a hat with some kind of opening.

There are hats made in the same style as straw hats but out of cotton or polyester. Anything fabric would definitely snag less than unlined straw weave. Maybe look around at online hat stores so you can see the range of things that exist out there. You could also look at historical hat styles for inspiration.
As far as being too hot in the hat, I am fairly sure there are hats with a woven mesh crown but a solid fabric brim. The UV protection would be a bit less in the mesh area, of course, but it would allow your head to breathe.

Lots of luck for finding the perfect hat!

Dendra
June 5th, 2017, 08:04 AM
Ooh, a felt hat sounds like a good option. Maybe more for winter, though, come to think of it. It's really hot here so I feel like I'm limited to straw or cotton.

Being a vampire would definitely help! Or working inside all day. At the moment I seem to be out and about all the time so I need to figure something out. I have seen one or two people with parasols but I don't think it's for me, I think I'm too shy to draw attention to myself with one.

You reminded me, I did buy an all natural sunscreen with the intention of watering it down and spraying it on my hair. Has anyone tried this and did it make your hair greasy?

Anje
June 5th, 2017, 08:21 AM
Yes, but to prevent UV damage to my scalp! My hair isn't thinning or anything, but I've managed to burn the entire top of my head (not just my part) while being outside with my hair bunned. Between that and my husband developing a basal cell tumor on his scalp, I consider hats to be essential gear.

ETA: until the last year or so, infinity buns were my go-to for fitting under the brim of hats. Past classic, that was too bulky and it was braids or nothing.

ETA 2: I like Tilly and Outdoor Research for hats.

ETA 3: I'm in what's considered the northern part of the US, which is about 40°N latitude. That's north of Lisbon but south of Rome. Definitely consider latitude in what's normal where. :) Though I'm paler than most and a minority of people here are as careful about covering up relative to what I find I need to do for comfort.

TatsuOni
June 5th, 2017, 08:24 AM
If I'm going to be out more than just a few minutes, then yes! I'm also trying to cover my skin since I'm trying to stay pale :p

I'm either using a baseball cap togehter with a homemade bun cover or a tishel.

Arctic
June 5th, 2017, 08:33 AM
I don't. It's not that I don't wear hats or scarves occasionally, but they are style related, not to protect my hair. I don't enjoy being in the sun and live in Scandinavia so my climate and lifestyle are different to yours. In addition I am perfectly happy with shorter lengths of hair, so I don't feel a need to protect it from sun.

Cg
June 5th, 2017, 08:38 AM
Yes and no. Sunlight makes a problem for my skin, so always I wear a wide-brimmed hat in the sun when I must be out in it.

MoonRabbit
June 5th, 2017, 08:45 AM
If I know I am going to be out in the sun for a few hours then I will wear a hat, not so much to protect my hair but to make sure my scalp doesn't get burned. I always wear sunscreen to protect my skin though.

Also, maybe it's just me but the sun seems to make my hair feel better. It helps with frizz and makes it super soft.

Kat
June 5th, 2017, 08:54 AM
I keep thinking I should. After all, I wear sunscreen here. I do think about my hair sometimes. (Often if I'm out and about in the sun a lot, I wear a ball cap anyway mostly for my eyes/face, but that doesn't protect the length of my hair. Still, I've had a sunburn in the part of my hair before and that's the thing I *really* don't want to repeat! Let's just say that once it starts peeling, it looks like giant nuclear dandruff, lol.) I'm just not sure how to protect my hair without either greasing it up with sunscreen (a no-go if I don't want to wash it that day; for application I've mixed it with conditioner as once recommended here) or having to put it "up" so I can put a scarf around it (and I can only wear any sort of updo so long before my head starts hurting-- my every day hair style is one or two braids).

However, this makes a lot of hairstyles impossible, and also my hair snags on the rough bits of straw in the crown of the hat (I plan on sewing a silk lining in when I can, or covering those parts with masking tape).
!

I have a straw hat, into the crown of which I've sewn one of those lycra swimming caps. Because I'm lazy and hey it's already head-shaped, so easy. :)

Another alternative is carrying a parasol. I use my umbrella sometimes, as I don't have a parasol. They're essentially the same thing, anyway, right?

Yup. I live in Bangkok and a lot of people-- usually women-- carry an umbrella for shade. Sometimes it's a regular umbrella, but some also have a silver-colored lining, much like car sunshades use (but the gray type more than the super-metallic reflect-y type), or a black one, meant to block the sun. Umbrellas here are multi-purpose! (It really helps keep you cool, too. I never realized until I met up with a friend carrying her umbrella and we walked under it together and wow, it made a difference. It really is like walking in the shade.)

MidnightMoon
June 5th, 2017, 09:08 AM
Dendra could be, I do get a bit sweaty sometimes (I'm living temporarily in Spain, so it's about the same weather).
Parasols can look a bit extravagant, I do agree. Even hats aren't common here. I wonder why...
I don't know how you could water down something oily like sunscreen, maybe someone else can help with that :shrug:

Arctic I envy you! Spain is already too hot, I just hate this climate lol. I so wish I could be up north, not many worries about burning or tanning, nice cool temperature...
My grandma said it snowed a few days ago in Moscow. Meanwhile I'm here, melting.

maborosi
June 5th, 2017, 09:33 AM
I don't go out of my way to, no. I have hair past classic and live in Texas, where the sun is very intense. I have not noticed any issues because of this. Maybe my hair gets slightly lighter because of the sun rays, but other than that, it would be too much effort for no realt benefit.

My scalp, yes, my hair no. I have an autoimmune disease that's triggered by sunlight so generally I don't go out much anyways

marvel-lover
June 5th, 2017, 09:55 AM
I posted something like this a while ago, and got some positive answers that I'd love to share with you. I lifeguard outdoors in the summer, and while I love the bleaching effect on my blonde hair (it becomes very pretty), I hate the UV damage that comes with it. So, based on some of the recommendations I got from the lovely ladies and gentlemen here, I researched hair sunscreen and made my own in my little spray bottle! I use a tiny bit of SPF50, (teeny tiny, a little goes a long way), olive oil (or any oil that doesn't dry out your hair), conditioner, and lemon juice or chamomile tea (it lightens my hair). Remember to test run it first, it could potentially dry out your hair. I also wash my hair after using it, so the sunscreen and lemon juice doesn't dry it out even more. Hope this helps! :blossom:

PixieP
June 5th, 2017, 10:42 AM
I want to use a hat, but I have a big head and haven't yet found a hat that fits me (and that I like the look off; I'm picky, I don't want an outdoorsy looking hat, I want a wide-brimmed elegant sunhat). To me it's to help keep me cool, and to help protect my very fair skin (with lots of moles and high risk of skin cancer) from the sun. Also since I wear glasses and can't afford contacts this summer it would be nice to be able to shade my eyes with a hat.

vpatt
June 5th, 2017, 11:35 AM
I don't go out of my way to, no. I have hair past classic and live in Texas, where the sun is very intense. I have not noticed any issues because of this. Maybe my hair gets slightly lighter because of the sun rays, but other than that, it would be too much effort for no realt benefit.

My scalp, yes, my hair no. I have an autoimmune disease that's triggered by sunlight so generally I don't go out much anyways

I am the opposite. I just found out that I should be getting about twenty minutes of midday sun for my skin, psoriasis and immune system. But I am thinking of learning to wrap my head with a scarf in case I am out longer for some reason and because I learned here at LHC that my silver hair will burn more easily.

Lady Stardust
June 5th, 2017, 01:02 PM
Some great tips here, thank you enting! It sounds like you've thought about this issue a lot too.

I did try and wear my hat with my silk scarf underneath but my head absolutely baked, so I might have to wait until I can sew a thinner bit of silk in.

I do own a leave in spray with UV that I use on my lengths and ends but I'm too scared to spray it on my roots in case it makes them greasy!

Since headscarves don't really suit me I guess I'm looking for some sort of miracle hat that doesn't snag and allows me more of a range of hairstyles. What about a cotton bucket hat?

I used to use a cotton bucket hat and it gave me great protection, it did get a bit hot and sweaty though.

I use a lovely floppy straw hat now, but I do worry about it snagging. I thought about wearing a scarf underneath it, but I've just bought a UV protective Buff with Coolmax, which is supposed to keep the head cool, so I might try that underneath instead. The only problem is the Buff is quite long, it hangs down the back of my neck, so I would need to double it up or pile it underneath the hat.

I also have a peaked cap that I wear to keep summer rain showers off, and as sun protection. I tried the Buff under that today and it felt comfortable, but I have to admit it looked a bit weird. I'd take comfort over weirdness any day though.

I sometimes wear a large headscarf because it looks really pretty., but again it can get too hot.

I've used sun protection stuff in my hair in the past but I don't think it works as well as covering up.

enting
June 5th, 2017, 01:16 PM
When I ordered my hat online, I thought I was going to look like the biggest dork. I went ahead and bought it anyway, because I am the one who is going to have to live with the sun damage without it, not everyone else. I geared myself all up for being looked at oddly everywhere when lo and behold, the almost identical hat I bought came into fashion at the same time and it was suddenly available everywhere! It was so funny. Sometimes it's worth it to brave looking odd for health.

PixieP I also wear glasses. I bought a pair of sunglasses that are designed to sit on top of my glasses. I guess they are knock-off Fitovers? I love them. My eyes are very sensitive to the sun and I wear them even when I am wearing a hat or holding an umbrella.
I have seen elegant wide brimmed hats, but not really for larger sized heads. They all seem to be one size fits all, which really isn't. :( If only custom millinery was still common practice.

lapushka
June 5th, 2017, 01:32 PM
Before the sun can do "damage", you'd have to be in it day in day out for an entire hot season, IMMHO. It's not that a bit of sun exposure each day is going to kill your hair.

You could always wear a buff.

Stub
June 5th, 2017, 06:35 PM
I actually prefer sun-bleached hair, but now that it's WL even a few minutes outside with my hair down and it is insufferably tangled. So I have to braid or bun it now to go outside and it doesn't get much sun overall. Sad!

mira-chan
June 5th, 2017, 06:47 PM
Before the sun can do "damage", you'd have to be in it day in day out for an entire hot season, IMMHO. It's not that a bit of sun exposure each day is going to kill your hair.

You could always wear a buff.

Further south, sun damage is very much a big thing for hair. I didn't have an issue with the sun for hair or skin in north Russia. Here in NYC (which is the same latitude as Turkey, Greece and southern Spain/Portugal, you can really feel it. Anywhere south of here, yes the sun can damage hair if exposed enough over the years.

If I'll be out in the sun a lot and want to protect my head/ hair I'll wear a sun hat if it's cool enough to wear a braid, otherwise it's a tichel (cotton hair scarf) I'll wear as it fits nicely over a bun.

EssentialJo
June 5th, 2017, 07:36 PM
I've noticed a difference over the last 10 years living in Southern Nevada. The sun here is brutal and unforgiving and I now cover or stay in the shade. I even get concerned with the brief walk across a parking lot from car to store/work place/friend's house with the combination of glaring sun and searing triple degree temperature (Fahrenheit).

Nini
June 6th, 2017, 02:11 AM
What little sun we do get I wanna soak up properly;) So no, I don't think about my hair at all.

lapushka
June 6th, 2017, 02:23 AM
Further south, sun damage is very much a big thing for hair. I didn't have an issue with the sun for hair or skin in north Russia. Here in NYC (which is the same latitude as Turkey, Greece and southern Spain/Portugal, you can really feel it. Anywhere south of here, yes the sun can damage hair if exposed enough over the years.

If I'll be out in the sun a lot and want to protect my head/ hair I'll wear a sun hat if it's cool enough to wear a braid, otherwise it's a tichel (cotton hair scarf) I'll wear as it fits nicely over a bun.

Oh yeah, for sure, in countries & regions where it's blazing hot during the summer, that's a difference. I was talking about my measly little part of the world, where we (like in the UK) hardly get a summer. LOL!

enting
June 6th, 2017, 02:49 AM
I always chalk my damage up to wind rather than sun, but for example, I would need to be out in the sun all day long in the summer to get any burn when I lived farther north. Where I am now, if I'm outside for more than about 45 minutes without protection I will be burnt. Once when I was visiting where I am now when I was younger I wanted to suntan/sunbathe. I figured I didn't want to get too burnt, so I set my alarm for fifteen minutes. At the twelve minute mark or so I flipped over and was in pain! I had a very severe burn all down my back and couldn't sit down for three days. I don't think I could have ever accomplished that kind of burn farther north. I don't know how skin and hair UV damage compare though. Do they have similar rates?

Sarahlabyrinth
June 6th, 2017, 02:53 AM
No. I don't spend more than around a half hour outside at any one time and if it's a very hot day I will wear a hat. I don't worry about a few minutes here and there, I can't see that it would cause any damage. Maybe in a very hot country it would be different.

MidnightMoon
June 6th, 2017, 03:20 AM
Well OP lives in Portugal so she certainly needs to cover, the south of Europe es practically the north of Africa, and as someone else mentioned about the same level than other countries which we traditionally see as very hot and worthy of covering up.

I also wonder about covering up of other things such as dust in the city. These days I've been a bit obsessed with that. Whenever I wear my hair loose I feel like it's catching all those fumes from vehicles, and like I need to wash it to make it clean again.
Also, OP as well as the rest of people here, do take care of your skin even if you're wearing a hat. Usually, I can tell when I'm burning, I'm very sensitive to that, but sometimes it can be cool or cloudy, and we don't notice we're getting as much uv radiation as any other warm sunny day. I have made it a habit to check the weather daily, and stay away from the sun as much as possible. While up north even in summer it's still not so bad, down here from February to October you should be careful.

Oh, and remember, temperature doesn't correlate directly with uv damage and amount of burning. As an example, here in Spain it's not "blazing hot" yet, but it's already at the highest levels, another example is La Paz, Bolivia, where right now it's 4C (39F), because of how high the city is, yet the uv radiation is also at 9/10 in the uv index scale.

adrenaline
June 6th, 2017, 03:44 AM
I just go all natural about this. I love sun kissed hair! Sometimes i wear a hat, but only to cover my face and to protect the sensitive skin.

Dendra
June 6th, 2017, 04:15 AM
Wow, thank you so much everybody! I was going through doing multiple quotes so that I could write back to everyone but that became impossible as the pages went on :)

There's some awesome tips here. I think I will continue to avoid the sun as much as possible (which is great for my pale skin too), get a cotton bucket hat or baseball cap that won't snag my hair and also make my own hair sunscreen by diluting regular sunscreen in water. The sunscreen I have is nice and natural so I think it might be alright for my hair without adding oils and such, here are the ingredients:

AQUA (SPRING WATER), ISOAMYL P-METHOXYCINNAMATE (NATURALLY OCCURRING UV-FILTER), HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED OIL*, OLEA EUROPAEA (OLIVE) FRUIT OIL*, ELAEIS GUINEENSIS (PALM) OIL*^, TITANIUM DIOXIDE [NANO] (MINERAL UV-FILTER), DIETHYLAMINO HYDROXYBENZOYL HEXYL BENZOATE, CETEARYL ALCOHOL (EMULSIFYING PLANT WAX), GLYCERYL STEARATE (PLANT DERIVED EMULSIFIER), CETEARYL GLUCOSIDE (PLANT DERIVED EMULSIFIER), CERA ALBA (BEESWAX)*, ALOE BARBADENSIS (ALOE VERA) LEAF JUICE POWDER*, PERSEA GRATISSIMA (AVOCADO) OIL*, CHAMOMILLA RECUTITA (CHAMOMILE) FLOWER EXTRACT*, ALTHAEA OFFICINALIS (MARSHMALLOW) ROOT EXTRACT*, CAMELLIA SINENSIS (GREEN TEA) LEAF EXTRACT*, LEONTOPODIUM ALPINUM (EDELWEISS) LEAF EXTRACT*, COMMIPHORA MYRRHA (MYRRH) OIL^, ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS (ROSEMARY) LEAF EXTRACT*, SODIUM STEAROYL GLUTAMATE (PLANT DERIVED EMULSIFIER), GLUCONOLACTONE, SODIUM BENZOATE, SODIUM DEHYDROACETATE, PHYTIC ACID.

I suspect it may weigh my hair down but I can try.

If only I were glamourous enough for headscarves! Maybe I'll get there one day. Thankfully I'll spend a bit of time in the UK this summer so I'll be able to not worry and bask in the greyness while I'm there ;)

Lady Stardust
June 6th, 2017, 05:11 AM
Thankfully I'll spend a bit of time in the UK this summer so I'll be able to not worry and bask in the greyness while I'm there ;)

Our marketing board should use that - "Come to the UK and bask in the greyness" :-)

I burn in about 15 minutes when the sun's hot, so I do need to cover my hair, I guess it depends how fragile your hair is too. Mine is still short but stupidly fragile. I just pretend I'm Elizabeth Taylor or Audrey Hepburn if I want to wear a headscarf :-)

enting
June 6th, 2017, 06:29 AM
If only I were glamourous enough for headscarves!

You're as glamorous as you feel. Believe you are, rock it, and you will be!
There are so many styles out there to choose from, at least one should make you feel it.

Ligeia Noire
June 6th, 2017, 06:52 AM
I have always lived in very sunny countries so i am very aware of the sun. I try not to stay more than ten minutes under it... Always wear long sleeves or sunscreen. Now that i moved to the mountains, the elevation is considerably more significant, the sun here is super super strong.. skin cancer around these parts is very common and I keep seeing these dudes jogging shirtless or women biking with super short shorts and tank tops with blazing sun... I always say to myself oh they surely are using sunscreen.... anyways, when hiking I wear a big thick hat and choose places with lots of shade.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27572&d=1496753166

All other sunny days never leave the house without my best friend, a double layered parasol!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27571&d=1496752168

Very happy with both.

Dendra
June 6th, 2017, 01:02 PM
Our marketing board should use that - "Come to the UK and bask in the greyness" :-)

Hahaha :cool:

You're as glamorous as you feel. Believe you are, rock it, and you will be!
There are so many styles out there to choose from, at least one should make you feel it.

And you guys are right! One of these days I will find a headscarf and wear it with style.

Ligeia Noire, your hair!! Wow. I mean, your advice was sound as well but I was distracted/blown away by your incredible thick hair :applause

Anje
June 6th, 2017, 03:46 PM
Oh yeah, for sure, in countries & regions where it's blazing hot during the summer, that's a difference. I was talking about my measly little part of the world, where we (like in the UK) hardly get a summer. LOL!
I don't know if it's really that much hotter in much of the US compared to Europe. But we're at very different latitudes despite similar temperatures (the Gulf Stream making up much of the difference), so sun intensity is markedly different.

mermaid lullaby
June 6th, 2017, 06:39 PM
I dont wear a hat or scarf because, I'm indoors a lot!

Robi-Bird
June 6th, 2017, 06:41 PM
I don't cover my hair intentionally. On odd occasions when I go to the beach I wear a hat to protect my skin. That said, I live in the land of grey skies, and loathe the heat so when we do get our brief hot spells, I'm inside as much as possible.

Tosca
June 6th, 2017, 08:20 PM
I'm at about 28 degrees latitude (Australia) and I have never noticed sun damage. Sun highlights yes, but not damage. Maybe it's because my skin burns very easily, so I don't go outside much in summer, and if I do, I wear a hat or headscarf. I actually get more sun in winter, simply from sitting in it to warm up.

Ligeia Noire
June 6th, 2017, 08:30 PM
Hahaha :cool:

And you guys are right! One of these days I will find a headscarf and wear it with style.

Ligeia Noire, your hair!! Wow. I mean, your advice was sound as well but I was distracted/blown away by your incredible thick hair :applause

Thank you so much. Anyway, yeah the sun tends to make my hair auburn, which I actually like but I try not to let it get more than the morning or late afternoon sun....

yahirwaO.o
June 6th, 2017, 11:29 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27572&d=1496753166

All other sunny days never leave the house without my best friend, a double layered parasol!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27571&d=1496752168

Very happy with both.

You look incredibly stylish and your super thick lovely hair is fantastic!!!!! ;)

I dont wear a hat or scarf because, I'm indoors a lot!

This is me too. Really when sun is just hard and being a total b"#$ch I rather stay inside. I've never been the type of person who enjoys summertime outside and in my city the hot temperature could be kind of suffocating.

When it comes to hats well I donīt like them I feel much better with my hair showing or else it gets kinda itchy. When I hapen to carry an umbrella and its sunny I use it. Other than that Im a dark shadow person and fits my misterious personality too!!!

enting
June 7th, 2017, 12:13 PM
Ligeia Noire, I love your style! Where did you get the hat and parasol?

Hairkay
June 7th, 2017, 01:45 PM
I do occasionally wear a hat in the summer because I walk a lot. It can sometimes get quite hot in the summer even in the UK. Mostly I go for a cap because I'm casual when walking around. I never thought about how my hair would be in the sun. If it's hot enough and I can't find enough shade when being outside I might get a nosebleed. I'm currently looking for a hat now. So far I haven't found one I like.

In the Caribbean it was rare for me to wear a hat too. Our generation weren't for wearing hats. Mother's generation even had hats as part of their school uniform. We'd grumble when we were made to wear hats when very young. When we were teens we'd just use umbrellas parasol style if sun got that bad. Everyone knew to do their best to stay out of the midday sun.

lithostoic
June 7th, 2017, 01:58 PM
No. I think my hair looks nice with sun exposure. And nobody in Florida wears a hat during summer unless they want to die.

meteor
June 7th, 2017, 06:03 PM
Though I love the way the sun gives me highlights, I do try to protect my hair from the sun. The problem is that even large hats sit basically slightly perched on top of my bun, so the bun is not covered at all. My biggest protection is basically the bun itself (it's more compact compared to keeping hair loose, so only the surface area of the bun gets that UV damage). I don't like the look of headscarves on myself, but I sometimes use them on really hot and windy days. Generally speaking, I just try to stay in the shade, though I should probably consider parasols. I really wish more people carried them around here, so I wouldn't feel like the odd one out. :)

Ligeia Noire
June 7th, 2017, 07:43 PM
Ligeia Noire, I love your style! Where did you get the hat and parasol?

The hat I bought in a local store where I live and the parasol I do not remember the brand but it was on amazon. There are tons and you can also use a regular umbrella as long as it is opaque and sun proof

yahirwaO.o Thank you!

Dendra
June 8th, 2017, 02:55 AM
No. I think my hair looks nice with sun exposure. And nobody in Florida wears a hat during summer unless they want to die.

How come, because they'd boil to death? I'm pretty sure my hat does actually make me hotter.

I really wish more people carried them around here, so I wouldn't feel like the odd one out. :)

This is exactly what I was just thinking!

Anje, I'm gonna check out the latitude of where I am, that is interesting. I also have an app which texts me when the UV index is nearing 10 (the highest). I've only had it for two days and both days it has texted me, first saying the UV index in Lisbon is 9, then 8.

Simsy
June 8th, 2017, 04:50 AM
I wear a scarf tied around my head, primarily to keep the strands from getting caught in my work hats. As for hats, I have to wear a hard hat when working on mine sites as "personal protection"; and I wear a broad brimmed hat when not driving to avoid getting burned. The hard hat has a heap of webbing inside which has a nasty habit of catching bits of hair, and the broad brimmed hat tends to shove braids around and loosen the bobby pins.

Most people around here wear wide brimmed hats of some description when working outside since our sun tends to be really strong and the UV index rarely drops below EXTREME, even in winter and early morning.

AmberLouise89
June 8th, 2017, 07:21 AM
I sometimes wear a hat out in the sun but that is more to protect my scalp than my hair. I actually like to give my hair a lot of sunlight because I like the way it brightens up my blonde hair. I haven't noticed any damage from it but also I'm from Iowa so the Sun isn't that intense here.

lithostoic
June 8th, 2017, 08:03 AM
Dendra yep. The top of your head is one of your body's main places to let excess heat escape. That's why wearing a knit hat in cold weather makes such a difference keeping you warm.

I don't handle heat well. Just the thought of wearing a hat in maximum humidity and 100F+ (37C+) temperature makes me feel sick! I would never do that to myself.

Also, this spring, our UV index in my city has reached 11. Previously unheard of.

Dendra
June 17th, 2017, 05:47 AM
Most people around here wear wide brimmed hats of some description when working outside since our sun tends to be really strong and the UV index rarely drops below EXTREME, even in winter and early morning.

Dendra yep. The top of your head is one of your body's main places to let excess heat escape. That's why wearing a knit hat in cold weather makes such a difference keeping you warm.

I don't handle heat well. Just the thought of wearing a hat in maximum humidity and 100F+ (37C+) temperature makes me feel sick! I would never do that to myself.

Also, this spring, our UV index in my city has reached 11. Previously unheard of.

I never even knew about UV indexes but thanks to these comments I now have an app that texts Lisbon's to me every day! It's usually 8 here, I cannot even imagine what 11 feels like.

It was 39° yesterday and I've never been so hot in my life. I left my hat at home and tried to stay in the shade instead!

Simsy
June 17th, 2017, 06:22 AM
I never even knew about UV indexes but thanks to these comments I now have an app that texts Lisbon's to me every day! It's usually 8 here, I cannot even imagine what 11 feels like.

It was 39° yesterday and I've never been so hot in my life. I left my hat at home and tried to stay in the shade instead!

Ours goes to 13 or 15' and it's unusual to be under 10 during summer.

MidnightMoon
June 17th, 2017, 06:35 AM
Yeah, there's placer where it's even higher
worst part is, you can't really *feel it*
There's very cool places with an extreme UV index throughout the year

Dendra
June 17th, 2017, 06:56 AM
Ours goes to 13 or 15' and it's unusual to be under 10 during summer.

13 or 15?!! Oh my goodness. I had no idea it went up that high.

And that's true MidnightMoon about not being able to feel it, makes it all the more dangerous.

meteor
June 17th, 2017, 11:31 AM

Interesting. I generally also don't like the idea of adding an extra item (that could potentially trap heat), however, straw hats and really well ventilated summer hats (especially the ones that give quite a bit of space between top of hat and top of head) keep my head cooler. My top of head and hair tend to overheat very easily in the sun, but, under a "breathing" sunhat, I really notice a difference in how much longer it takes me to start feeling too hot, not to mention the shade created by the brim helping quite a bit.

laidy
June 17th, 2017, 11:37 AM
I wear a hat most of the time when I'm out and about, but other than that I do not protect my hair. Maybe this will change once my length is more impressive (APL now) :)

lablondinette
June 17th, 2017, 11:41 AM

I'll have to tell my wife this- every time I say that I'm hot, she tells me to put on a baseball cap and doesn't believe me when I say it makes me way hotter!

You are all right to protect your hair from the sun. I actually sun my hair purposefully to lighten it up, and the lightest strands are definitely weaker than the rest. I'm going to start protecting those strands now because I don't think they can take much more.

Lady Stardust
June 22nd, 2017, 04:02 PM
I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that I'd bought a Buff with Coolmax. I've been wearing it every day and my head hasn't got sweaty at all, even though it did when I was wearing a hat at slightly lower temperatures. It's easy to carry around too, I don't usually bother to take a hat with me just in case it gets sunny, but I can keep the Buff in my bag easily. Seems to be a winner!

Larki
June 22nd, 2017, 04:09 PM
I don't actually cover my hair with anything but there are tons of oils and serums and sprays that peotect your hair from UV to a degree.

Kitty-Zen
June 23rd, 2017, 06:30 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for modifying a straw sunhat? I got one recently that is too big for my head and prone to flying away in the wind!

Simsy
June 24th, 2017, 01:16 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions for modifying a straw sunhat? I got one recently that is too big for my head and prone to flying away in the wind!

2 options, either add a string to loop round your neck to hold the hat on, or remove the top of the hat to stick a bun through so the hat sits a bit lower.

You might also be able to shove hatpins through the straw and into a hair style.

Dendra
June 24th, 2017, 04:57 AM
I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that I'd bought a Buff with Coolmax. I've been wearing it every day and my head hasn't got sweaty at all, even though it did when I was wearing a hat at slightly lower temperatures. It's easy to carry around too, I don't usually bother to take a hat with me just in case it gets sunny, but I can keep the Buff in my bag easily. Seems to be a winner!

This does sound like an absolute winner! I'm gonna look into the coolmax buffs again :)

I actually used a parasol for the first time the other day. There was loads of tourists around using them so, like a sheep, I joined in. It was nice to have the guarantee of shade and it wasn't as annoying to carry as I thought it might be. Sometimes it seemed to feel even hotter under the parasol, but maybe that's because it made me feel free to stand in direct sun for longer.

Larki I spent a while researching UV protecting sprays etc to put on my hair and found it hard to find one that was suitable for use on dry hair, everyday. Plus I only wash my hair once every 10 days so I feel like even if I did find one to go on dry hair then the build up would be bad! I use a leave-in with sun protection on wash day though, so that might do something.

Kitty-Zen, the solutions Simsy offered are good. The only thing I can think of is putting a lining in the hat, or wearing a buff underneath, but you would probably boil so that's kind of counterproductive...

Zindell
July 13th, 2017, 01:47 AM
Do you cover your hair to avoid UV damage?

Uhm, nope, the exact opposite actually. I have medium blonde hair and I love to use the sun to bleach it lighter every summer. ;)
That is the only "bad" thing I do to my hair. I never use any chemicals in it, I never use any heat on it and I only wash it about once a week with a mix of soap nuts and indian herbs.

I do use a sun visor however to protect my face.

Edit: I do live in southern Sweden, so maybe the UV damage isn't as bad as in some other areas of the world ...

Anje
July 13th, 2017, 08:48 AM
I've got a few hats that effectively have some wider elastic (maybe 1" or 1.5") sewn at the brim along one edge, a little stretched, so that the loose edge forms a circle in the hat. Just like this. (http://www.heilbronnsrockhampton.com.au/wp-content/uploads/DSC01014-940x705.jpg) It sort of snugs it to your head and causes the hat to float a little if your head is smaller than the hat can accommodate. Very comfortable. I imagine it wouldn't be hard to do, if you can find an appropriate elastic.

ETA: Less intensive option: http://lifehacker.com/5917103/tighten-a-loose-hat-with-a-piece-of-elastic

Arctic
July 13th, 2017, 09:29 AM
There usually is a a strip of fabric inside the hat, which forms a sort of pocket around the inside of the hat (I guess it can be called a sweat band). Easy way to adjust the size is to fold some tissues/paper towels (or why not folded piece of fabric or some flat foam strips too) and carefully tuck them inside the unsewn edge of the fabric strip. This will make the part of the hat that touches your head slightly smaller in size and the hat will stay on better. It's easy, fast and no-one will see the paper towels because a) hat is usually on your head and b) the fabric strip cover the folded and tucked under paper towels. You can adjust the size by using less or more of "stuffing" and change or toss the paper towels easily if/when needed.

Bill D.
July 13th, 2017, 09:31 AM
I just want to add on to excellent points already made by others about UV exposure. Solar UV in your local environment varies a lot depending latitude, altitude, time of year, and cloudiness (clouds reduce but don't eliminate UV). I'm going to define summer and winter here as the periods where the sun is relatively high in the sky vs. relatively low in the sky for that latitude, which only makes sense for areas away from the equator.

Here are sample UV days from the southern hemisphere summer (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7sK7GOwdreU/U0pS4c60vAI/AAAAAAAAC04/SWs-U0Yh6HI/s1600/UV_Index_World_Map_winter.jpg) and northern hemisphere summer (http://www.temis.nl/uvradiation/UVI/uvief0_wd.gif). These are for individual days so local cloudiness reduced exposure in some locations. The really intense UV is in the areas where, at that time, the sun is closest to being directly overhead and the sky is fairly clear. Areas where the sun is always fairly low, such as northern Europe, have far less UV exposure even in their summer.

Here's a comparison of annual UV exposures in the U.S.A. (https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/styles/large/public/2014-01/july_map_new.jpg) and Australia (http://www.amsj.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Australian-UVR-Levels-In-Summer.png). I had trouble finding a good average summer exposure map for Europe, though there are plenty of forecast maps for individual dates. Also, some of the UV maps are for the entire year; that doesn't tell you your risk when the sun is high in the sky, especially in areas that have sunny summers. Don't forget that altitude can increase UV exposure quite a bit.

Here's a handy rule from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for estimating daily and seasonal UV risk:

The Shadow Rule

An easy way to tell how much UV exposure you are getting is to look for your shadow:

If your shadow is taller than you are (in the early morning and late afternoon), your UV exposure is likely to be lower.
If your shadow is shorter than you are (around midday), you are being exposed to higher levels of UV radiation. Seek shade and protect your skin and eyes.

On that last point, shade helps a great deal, but even in shade you can get a lot of reflected UV. UV reflects very well from water, sand, concrete, light-colored paint, and snow. I know this not just from reading and experience but also from doing UV photography. The less-damaging kind of UV, UV-A, will also pass through window glass. UV-B, the kind that causes sunburn, doesn't do that to any appreciable extent.

Bill D.

Joyful Mystery
July 13th, 2017, 10:05 AM
I wear wide brimmed hats and use umbrellas. I'm very fair-skinned. I also have rosacea; I'm incredibly sensitive to any amount of sun.

Fantine
July 13th, 2017, 11:36 AM
I don't cover my hair and I kind of like how it gets a few shades lighter during this season.

Simsy
July 13th, 2017, 08:06 PM
I just want to add on to excellent points already made by others about UV exposure. Solar UV in your local environment varies a lot depending latitude, altitude, time of year, and cloudiness (clouds reduce but don't eliminate UV). I'm going to define summer and winter here as the periods where the sun is relatively high in the sky vs. relatively low in the sky for that latitude, which only makes sense for areas away from the equator.

Here are sample UV days from the southern hemisphere summer (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7sK7GOwdreU/U0pS4c60vAI/AAAAAAAAC04/SWs-U0Yh6HI/s1600/UV_Index_World_Map_winter.jpg) and northern hemisphere summer (http://www.temis.nl/uvradiation/UVI/uvief0_wd.gif). These are for individual days so local cloudiness reduced exposure in some locations. The really intense UV is in the areas where, at that time, the sun is closest to being directly overhead and the sky is fairly clear. Areas where the sun is always fairly low, such as northern Europe, have far less UV exposure even in their summer.

Here's a comparison of annual UV exposures in the U.S.A. (https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/styles/large/public/2014-01/july_map_new.jpg) and Australia (http://www.amsj.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Australian-UVR-Levels-In-Summer.png). I had trouble finding a good average summer exposure map for Europe, though there are plenty of forecast maps for individual dates. Also, some of the UV maps are for the entire year; that doesn't tell you your risk when the sun is high in the sky, especially in areas that have sunny summers. Don't forget that altitude can increase UV exposure quite a bit.
Bill D.

Just looked at the maps, thanks for those. America goes to 11 with dashes of other colours, Australia goes to 14 with just red showing. I thought Tasmania (small island down Australia) would be a little lower but apparently not.

Dendra
July 14th, 2017, 07:18 AM

Here's a handy rule from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for estimating daily and seasonal UV risk:

On that last point, shade helps a great deal, but even in shade you can get a lot of reflected UV. UV reflects very well from water, sand, concrete, light-colored paint, and snow. I know this not just from reading and experience but also from doing UV photography. The less-damaging kind of UV, UV-A, will also pass through window glass. UV-B, the kind that causes sunburn, doesn't do that to any appreciable extent.

Bill D.

Thanks Bill that's solid information.

Update: I have stopped protecting my head from UV now that I'm back in the UK. My app texts me the UV level every day and it's been mostly 7. I don't spend a lot of time outside anyway.

Wearing a hat everyday in boiling temperatures (while abroad) did not do my scalp any favours so I'm easing off for a while.

triumphator!
July 14th, 2017, 07:44 AM
My ends bleach out sooo easily. I'm at latitude 32 - so the same as Libya, Israel, Afghanistan, etc. Actually, that was really interesting to find out!

ErinEM
July 24th, 2017, 01:40 PM
Oh yes! I'm mortally afraid of skin cancer, so I'm nearly always covered head to toe when I'm outside anyway (long sleeves, hats, long skirt or leggings . . . I'm great fun at the beach XD).

When I was a kid, I'd always get bleached-out dirty blond hair over the summer, and a couple of times up into my early 20s, I put lemon in my hair and sat out in the sun trying to lighten it. But since about 2012, I've been trying to take better care of my hair, and that means keeping it safe from UV damage! So I'll keep it under clothing or under a hat whenever possible.

trolleypup
July 24th, 2017, 09:56 PM
Not exactly, but then I am out in the sun, especially at high elevation, my hair is usually covered (contaminants, tangles, etc)...as a side result, my ends are less lighter than they used to be over the years).

LadyCelestina
July 25th, 2017, 12:46 AM
I have the kind of hair which develops highlights easily, and I've never noticed damage from not protecting my hair. I'm sure there is some, but it doesn't show :)

And I'm not in the sun that much anyway xD

amiaow
July 27th, 2017, 04:37 PM
Many of the shampoos for coloured/dyed hair have UV filters in them- this can help to protect your hair as well.

Kat
July 27th, 2017, 11:43 PM
Interesting. I generally also don't like the idea of adding an extra item (that could potentially trap heat), however, straw hats and really well ventilated summer hats (especially the ones that give quite a bit of space between top of hat and top of head) keep my head cooler. My top of head and hair tend to overheat very easily in the sun, but, under a "breathing" sunhat, I really notice a difference in how much longer it takes me to start feeling too hot, not to mention the shade created by the brim helping quite a bit.

I need to start using my straw hat more (but it's wide, so it's hard to use it in situations where hauling it with me to where I'll be outside would be annoying). However, my lycra-swim-cap liner might make it not too good at ventilation anymore.

Actually, I'll try it today and find out. I like it better than a baseball cap because it will also give shade to the back of my neck.

leayellena
July 28th, 2017, 02:40 AM
yes. but then I donīt need a leave-in right...

Lisa-K
July 31st, 2017, 09:29 AM
Cotton sun hats. I own quite a few different models. They don't let any light through like straw does, and are machine washable, so that's also a plus. They're also easy to pack and stuff in a bag, they always pop right back to shape.

Other than that, I'm not particularly paranoid about UV. A little bit of sun is fine.

Dendra
July 31st, 2017, 11:12 AM
yes. but then I donīt need a leave-in right...

Agreed, if you have hat covering your hair you wouldn't need a leave-in UV protector. Unless you have a pony tail or something hanging out the back of your hat!

Cotton sun hats. I own quite a few different models. They don't let any light through like straw does, and are machine washable, so that's also a plus. They're also easy to pack and stuff in a bag, they always pop right back to shape.

Cotton sun hats seem a good option! I would consider one but I'm back in the UK now so I don't need to worry too much about UV :roll:

animetor7
July 31st, 2017, 11:24 AM
I should if I want to avoid all damage to my hair, but I like how the sun bleaching brings out the red in my auburn hair and also the natural highlights I get when I let the sun have its way with my hair. That said, I have redhead skin and burn extremely easily, so I tend to avoid the sun a lot of the time anyway, so I doubt my hair's exposure to it is often enough or for long enough to cause any serious damage. I haven't noticed any, just lighter, more reddish ends. :shrug:

Maple
August 31st, 2018, 09:38 AM
I cover my hair but not mainly to protect the hair itself, but because my scalp gets sunburned very fast. :(

Crna Kosa
August 31st, 2018, 03:22 PM
I just oil it .I am not sure if that protects it. I feel that my hair got lighter color because of the sun, which I don't like.

toastmouse
August 31st, 2018, 06:22 PM
I definitely do! My hair got pretty damaged by the sun last year when I didn't (I think). I use a cotton hat because I reckon straw ones could be pretty damaging long-term. The only style that works with my hair at this length is to twist it and tuck it up under the hat, though my hair is pretty thin so I'm not sure how comfortable that would be with thicker hair.

illicitlizard
September 1st, 2018, 12:49 AM
I've never even considered that hair could be susceptible to UV damage... I think my hair looks a lot nicer when exposed to the sun, and avoiding it is basically impossible (plus I detest hats) so I'll probably not be jumping on the hair covering train anytime soon :P

RubberDucky
September 1st, 2018, 01:56 AM
I'm outside for hours during summer months and I never cover my hair. I don't mind the suns bleaching effect and most hats make my scalp boil in hot weather. I also don't mind getting slightly tanned - BUT! - I never actually go tanning at the beach or use fake tanners (yuck!). I just don't view the sun as my enemy, simply something to be mindful about.

chomsky
September 1st, 2018, 05:10 AM
Never considered UV damage to my hair. I don't wear hats for any occasion, I just don't like them, haha.

harpgal
September 1st, 2018, 06:10 AM
Yes, I most definitely wear a hat all the time. I live in the tropics and sail. In the past (a long, long time ago), I surfed. I could not get my hair longer than just below my shoulders. The ends constantly broke off because of the bleaching caused by the sun. If a person wants greater lengths, sun protection is necessary, along with protection for the face.

esfand
September 1st, 2018, 10:01 AM
No, I like the extra highlights that the sun gives me. I try to make up for it in other ways though!

lauraspring
September 1st, 2018, 11:38 AM
Nope... I like how sun changes the shade of my hair... besides, I live in the Netherlands – not much sun here at all :)

Cricket Master
September 4th, 2018, 07:43 AM
I wear a hat nearly every time I am outside from spring to fall. I cannot always keep all my hair out of the sun, but I keep a good portion of it out as well as protecting my eyes and face.
In winter I wear a scarf or a hat, but that is out of a desire to live more than anything.

Joyful Mystery
September 4th, 2018, 12:54 PM
I always wear a hat if I'm going to be outside in the sun. I wear a UPF hat that covers my face and folds easily so I can put it in my purse when it's not needed.

erebus
September 5th, 2018, 03:57 PM
Nope, I want the sun to lighten it. Doesn't seem to happen though!

nikittyy
September 21st, 2018, 03:52 PM
I wan't even aware UV damage to hair was a thing. I have always had pretty shiny hair but I also stay out of the sun because I hate getting tan, so I'm not sure if one affects the other.

Longlegs
September 21st, 2018, 09:30 PM
Yes, I live in Australia and always cover my skin and hair, it all sits under a cap. But I don't spend a lot of time outdoors, only to exercise. I was excited to find a hair sunscreen, but the ingredients contain silicones which I avoid in hair products so I don't use it.

Frankenstein
September 21st, 2018, 09:47 PM
Nope. I’m not usually out in the sun long enough for it to do anything substantial to my hair anyway.

Doreen
September 22nd, 2018, 11:12 AM
Nope, I want the sun to lighten it. Doesn't seem to happen though!

Same! It's natural highlights. Though with my hair I never see much difference either.

I don't like wearing hats; they make my head sweat too much anyway.

nycelle
September 22nd, 2018, 11:18 AM
No. But I have been using an oil with UV protection..

My hair lightens very easily, always has, and I have sun damage. You can see in my sig pic the difference in color from root to tips.

So this year, I used an oil with UV protection and it seems to have worked some- definitely have less highlights.

Alibran
September 22nd, 2018, 02:47 PM
No. I try to give my hair a reasonable amount of sun exposure to lighten it, which is not so easy in summer because it's constantly in a bun to keep it off my face and neck. I've always assumed damage is from the drying effect of the sun, so I use plenty of oils and conditioner.

nycelle
September 22nd, 2018, 04:30 PM
No. I try to give my hair a reasonable amount of sun exposure to lighten it, which is not so easy in summer because it's constantly in a bun to keep it off my face and neck. I've always assumed damage is from the drying effect of the sun, so I use plenty of oils and conditioner.

It's from the bleaching effect. No different than using actual bleach to lighten.
I wish it were different.. :(

deeisme
September 22nd, 2018, 05:42 PM
I definitely try to protect my hair from the sun. Particularly now that my hair is so grey. The sun can yellow grey hair. I most often use hats as my skin is very sensitive to UV.

No. But I have been using an oil with UV protection..

My hair lightens very easily, always has, and I have sun damage. You can see in my sig pic the difference in color from root to tips.

So this year, I used an oil with UV protection and it seems to have worked some- definitely have less highlights.

nycelle, what oil have you been using to protect from UV?

M3DUS4
November 1st, 2018, 03:42 PM
this is the one kind of damage I have elected not to worry about... being under the sun, for some reason, really makes my hair turn less of a dark brown and a little more auburn. I really dig the red tones the light gives me in summer.

But then again, since I live in Canada, the sky is grey and snowy for the majority of the year, and it's not even possible for me to go out and sustain this kind of damage very often :(

Amy-Lee
October 1st, 2020, 04:06 AM
I never cover my hair, even when the sun is blazing. I should though. I'm sure you can find a stylish satin hat on Amazon. Here is one right here to prevent snagging....

https://www.amazon.com/Ponyflo-Satin-Lined-Snakeskin-Grey/dp/B083ZJXT1H/ref=sr_1_46?dchild=1&keywords=satin%2Bhat&qid=1601546728&sr=8-46&th=1

Hexen
October 1st, 2020, 04:33 AM
Where I live, lots of sun..and wind.
And about, 50 - 100% humidity.
...And rain,...... I cover it up very often.
probably about 98% of the time.
No one around here uses umbrellas. It's weird...

So yes...I am trying to avoid turning my entire head into the next decoration for a well organized blacklit rave.
But I hate gong anywhere without some kind of head covering.

No matter when....or where.

shelomit
October 1st, 2020, 04:43 PM
I cover my head, but for cultural/religious reasons rather than because of UV damage. I do notice that in pictures of me in my early teens (before I started headcovering full-time) that my hair had more golden tones and was probably overall slightly lighter than it is now. Not a massive difference, though. The big advantage to headcoverings, at least in my climate, is that it helps keep the blowing sand and dust out : P

hennalonghair
October 1st, 2020, 04:49 PM
No I don’t cover my head but I do put my hair in a braid and either tuck under the ends or oil / condition them well.

esmeralda80
October 1st, 2020, 06:20 PM
I never realized how harmful the sun was until I damaged my hair and it started overreacting to every stressor. Sitting in the backyard for a couple of hours was never a problem - now my hair turns to hay no matter what I have in it. So, yes, until my hair is healthy again, I cover it with a silk bonnet when outside, and if I am in the direct, hot sun, I put a straw hat over that.

Will I keep up these habits when my hair is healthy again? I don’t know - but I should.

meepster
October 1st, 2020, 10:30 PM
Now that I'm living in a sunny place, I do cover my head if I'm going to be outside for any appreciable amount of time - not so much for my hair's sake as for my scalp. I got a sunburn on my scalp a couple of times, where my hair is parted, before realizing that yes, I do need to wear a hat.

Begemot
October 2nd, 2020, 03:22 AM
I like hats and such so I wear those quite a bit. They don't protect all of my hair though so length gets some sun. One summer I tried a protective spray but my hair did not like it at all and haven't tried other brands yet. I would probably pick a cream or oil if I'll feel like trying products with UV protection again. I have noticed more products with sun filters lately but it's not a priority/requirement for me in hair care products.

Feral_
October 2nd, 2020, 04:20 AM
I cover my scalp to avoid UV damage, not my hair. I love hats.

Bonsai
October 2nd, 2020, 07:56 AM
No, but I was thinking about it....

Today I bought my first "hair safty" winter hat (with satin inside). Maybe next step should be some summer hat :p ?

Bill D.
October 3rd, 2020, 03:26 PM
One more technical note. The sky is actually rather bright in the UV wavelengths so you will get some exposure in the shade if there's a lot of sky visible (or, as I mentioned in my 2017 post, if you're getting reflected light off light surfaces*). I did some measurements back in May and came up with a difference of about 10-11x between full sunlight and open shade (shade exposed to lots of sky). The sky was partially blocked by buildings and trees so maybe 1/4 of the sky was visible. There were few light-colored surfaces reflecting UV towards the measurement point.

*Various substances will look different in UV and visible light, but often their brightness is broadly similar. Things that are light colored in both:

-concrete
-sand
-snow

Things that are much darker in UV (reflect much less):

-green leaves

Things that are much lighter in UV (reflect much more):

-water
-sky

Bill D.

kaylah
October 3rd, 2020, 03:33 PM
I cover my skin and scalp which leads to my hair being covered. I don't mind a little sun damage on my hair, but I'm concerned about skin damage and cancer so I wear a hat, cap or scarf if I'm going to be in the sun.