PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with all your products you don't want anymore?

catabear
June 4th, 2017, 05:43 PM
I've been in a testing stage for months, trying out numerous products. I have oodles of hardly used shampoos, conditioners, creams, etc. that didn't work well with my hair. I can only give my friend so much product, and I don't want to just throw it away!

What do you guys do with yours?

Aredhel
June 4th, 2017, 05:46 PM
You can use shampoo as body wash, and to wash/clean things like makeup brushes, counter tops, etc. :)

Chromis
June 4th, 2017, 05:49 PM
I use one thing at a time, until it is gone.

You could try seeing if local shelters would like them as a donation.

EssentialJo
June 4th, 2017, 08:51 PM
craigslist free section?

Groovy Granny
June 4th, 2017, 08:58 PM
If I don't have anyone to pass them along to, I use the shampoos for body wash- conditioners for shave cream, and some creams can be used for body/hand lotion.

Arciela
June 4th, 2017, 09:39 PM
I use them to shave with or clean makeup brushes and such :flower:

Rowdy
June 4th, 2017, 11:43 PM
I like to use conditioner for shave cream but in general I just save whatever it is. My hair and skin both change over time and stuff that doesn't agree with me now might work later. For example my mom gave me a big bottle of Redken diamond oil that she didn't like and it didn't work for my hair then but now that I have mostly grown out my natural hair it works great. I also just started using an almost eight year old bottle of Ouidad gel that works great now when I do braids. My stash also came in handy after we bought our first house and got hit with several unexpected financial blows right after and I couldn't afford any 'frivolous' toiletries for almost two years.

Corvana
June 5th, 2017, 12:27 AM
Using shampoo as body wash is a genius idea that I don't know why I never thought of... I have a bunch of my old roomie's old shampoos (she'd go through conditioner 10x as fast as shampoos!) that have never agreed with my scalp that I've just let sit around! And I'm getting low on body wash, so that's a quick fix!

Andthetalltrees
June 5th, 2017, 12:39 AM
I like to use conditioner for shave cream but in general I just save whatever it is. My hair and skin both change over time and stuff that doesn't agree with me now might work later. For example my mom gave me a big bottle of Redken diamond oil that she didn't like and it didn't work for my hair then but now that I have mostly grown out my natural hair it works great. I also just started using an almost eight year old bottle of Ouidad gel that works great now when I do braids. My stash also came in handy after we bought our first house and got hit with several unexpected financial blows right after and I couldn't afford any 'frivolous' toiletries for almost two years.

I saved some products from about a year ago that just would not work on my hair, then suddenly even though nothing changed but it getting longer my hair started to love them. What's with that? :confused:

You can also use shampoo to hand wash clothes!

embee
June 5th, 2017, 04:15 AM
You can use conditioner to hand wash delicate woolens.

WavyWannabe
June 5th, 2017, 04:26 AM
I use my old shampoo as a body wash, and also to hand wash delicate fabric.
(Possibly TMI :tmi: : I also used my old conditioner on my body hair instead of my scalp hair ... It made my leg and armpit hair soft :p )

lapushka
June 5th, 2017, 05:31 AM
I've been in a testing stage for months, trying out numerous products. I have oodles of hardly used shampoos, conditioners, creams, etc. that didn't work well with my hair. I can only give my friend so much product, and I don't want to just throw it away!

What do you guys do with yours?

You can keep them, they will keep for years! You never know if you might still need them or your routine will start to vary at that point.

If you really don't want to use the shampoos, then use them as hand soap, or even body wash - works perfectly. Conditioner can be used as shaving cream.

I hardly come across products that I don't want to use, thank goodness because I hate waste and paying too much for stuff. A few weeks ago, I did, though, come across a shampoo that left residue on my roots (shampoo + coconut water). It was as if I had sprayed an entire can of dry shampoo on there (freshly washed hair too). I just had to put that in my handsoap dispenser. I couldn't deal with it. I suspect that is what set off my SD, because I have had to use my Nizoral 2% the Sunday before this one. After years of not having had to use it.

Kitty-Zen
June 5th, 2017, 07:50 AM
I use one thing at a time, until it is gone.

You could try seeing if local shelters would like them as a donation.

PLEASE do this! I've been homeless off and on for years and it is such a blessing to find GOOD hair products in the donations!

MoonRabbit
June 5th, 2017, 08:48 AM
I would keep one or two of each just in case times get bad and money is really tight, then you will always at least have a back up.

Katia_k
June 5th, 2017, 09:33 AM
Shelters are a great choice, as long as having them opened isn't a problem. We also have a local shower truck thing that takes donations of hygene supplies for a mobile shower program.

I usually pawn stuff off on friends, though there have been one or two things that were just bad, and I hated the texture of the liquid itself, so tossed it. But I try really hard not to do that.

Pamberpestana
June 5th, 2017, 09:46 AM
I was just wondering the same thing!! I do the same as most of the other commenters, using shampoo as body wash and conditioner for shaving.

What I want to know is what I should do with gels and mouses that I don't like. I have a couple leave-in/ gel type products that I absolutely hate. For now ill just keep them I guess.

Suze
June 5th, 2017, 01:51 PM
I give stuff I don't use to my mom and sisters. They don't care about what products they use and buy whatever is on sale. My sister is always happy she doesn't have to buy haircare products. :o I settled on products I like now.

truepeacenik
June 5th, 2017, 02:01 PM
You can use conditioner to hand wash delicate woolens.

I've found that CO washing wool sweaters that have shrunk restores them to their former glory.

I use my old shampoo as a body wash, and also to hand wash delicate fabric.
(Possibly TMI :tmi: : I also used my old conditioner on my body hair instead of my scalp hair ... It made my leg and armpit hair soft :p )

And other furry patches!

lapushka
June 5th, 2017, 02:26 PM
What I want to know is what I should do with gels and mouses that I don't like. I have a couple leave-in/ gel type products that I absolutely hate. For now ill just keep them I guess.

You can give the gel to your SO, if you have one. Mousse keeps a really long time. I'd use it up here and there.

Groovy Granny
June 5th, 2017, 02:29 PM
I was just wondering the same thing!! I do the same as most of the other commenters, using shampoo as body wash and conditioner for shaving.

I can't use ALOE GEL on my hair, but I keep it in the bathroom because it is great for burns, dry skin, and after hand washing.

languagenut
June 5th, 2017, 03:20 PM
I've found that CO washing wool sweaters that have shrunk restores them to their former glory.

Really?? I never would have thought of that; good to keep in mind!

Aredhel
June 5th, 2017, 04:12 PM
This is true. A few weeks ago, I accidentally threw an expensive wool scarf that I got from Scotland in the dryer, and it came out completely wrinkled, crunchy, staticky... it was horrible. I read some tips online and basically discovered exactly this! CO washing. So I soaked that baby in a cone-free conditioner that I was no longer using for my hair, and after it dried it was basically as good as new. I was so relieved!

Chromis
June 5th, 2017, 04:16 PM

Actually those are another to enquire with shelters if they would like donations! That kind of stuff is really useful to job seekers in particular.

EssentialJo
June 5th, 2017, 07:45 PM
Dang! There are some really resourceful recommendations here! Never thought of these options before! Will try these.

enting
June 6th, 2017, 04:12 AM
I use shampoo to wash my floors. I got the idea from a friend who did that.

lapushka
June 6th, 2017, 06:44 AM
I use shampoo to wash my floors. I got the idea from a friend who did that.

Unfortunately mom has marble tile, so I don't think she'll want shampoo on her floors, hence: hand soap dispenser should ever a shampoo be terribly bad (and that hardly happens for me).

enting
June 7th, 2017, 12:14 PM
Marble is somewhat absorbent, isn't it. I can see not wanting to use weird alternatives on it then.
My floors are stone tile, but definitely not marble.

Joyful Mystery
September 18th, 2017, 11:34 AM
Back when I was in the experimental phase, I would give away the stuff I didn't like (usually to my mom) or donate them to my church.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 18th, 2017, 11:44 AM
I usually use up everything even if my hair doesn't particularly like it. Sometimes my hair routine needs to flip around and then the product suddenly works with my hair.
So like my hair didn't like silicones, but I have like 3 vials of serum leave ins, instead of throwing it out I use it to seal the water and oil into my hair every once in a blue moon. Once it's all gone I won't buy anymore but my hair seems happy when I use it in this way. Maybe try the product out in different ways before completely nicking it.

NV
September 18th, 2017, 12:08 PM
I pass them onto my friends and use shampoos to clean my makeup brushes and boar bristle brush

Dendra
September 18th, 2017, 01:14 PM
This is true. A few weeks ago, I accidentally threw an expensive wool scarf that I got from Scotland in the dryer, and it came out completely wrinkled, crunchy, staticky... it was horrible. I read some tips online and basically discovered exactly this! CO washing. So I soaked that baby in a cone-free conditioner that I was no longer using for my hair, and after it dried it was basically as good as new. I was so relieved!

What a relief! I'm glad this works, I'll keep it in mind if I ever do the same. I hate wrecking stuff when I wash it.

lapushka
September 18th, 2017, 01:16 PM
I try to use up as much as I can, try to. Some of the shampoo ends up as hand soap, but it is *far gone* by that point. I managed to save 3 bottles of Inecto shampoo from becoming hand soap. The color has gone off in all 3 bottles, going from a creamy, pearly white, to a caramel color. But the scent is more than fine, and the consistency too, so I have been using it as shampoo for the past weeks and just got through the first bottle of it (empty). I actually love this shampoo a lot and it still works perfectly fine.

I am *not* throwing it away, this is my headstrong self speaking. :lol:

Apart from that, my shampoos should all be more than good still, and when these are gone, I am going to be continuing my "declutter" (I am on a low to no buy, which means I don't buy more things except when there's a major sale, or something new out).

Jo Ann
September 18th, 2017, 02:03 PM
If my hair has absolutely HATED the shampoo, the shampoo has gone into the dishwashing liquid container (one way to use up a pure castile shampoo); if my hair HATED the conditioner, I used that as my first conditioner and followed up with the conditioner(s) my hair DOES like. If all else fails, I've passed on the offending product to a neighbor of mine, who either used it or passed it on to her daughter.

MusicalSpoons
September 19th, 2017, 08:05 AM
Ooh shampoo as a body wash is a brilliant idea! I've been toying with the idea of trying a sulphate-free body wash, and I have two that my scalp hated that are almost full. I've offered them to my Mum but she wants to stick with her current shampoo, which is understandable! I'm hoping my rest-of-body skin is less irritable than my scalp, but I guess we'll see.

Shelters are an excellent idea too. I don't know of any locally (I live in a small village) but if I can't repurpose certain decent products I shall definitely look into it :D

iforgotmylogin
September 19th, 2017, 08:12 AM
-->Obligatory 'I am a dude' mention<--

I've never just thrown **** away, it's always been a matter of the bottle running out and getting whatever is cheapest. Having said that though, I used a bottle of 'natural' conditioner until there was none left only to realise it hadn't actually been doing anything when I bought 'normal' conditioner

Snackpackdino
September 19th, 2017, 08:25 AM
My husband usually uses the shampoos and conditioners that didn't work for me. He doesn't care for leave-in conditioners or styling products tho, so I give them to friends or the neighbors (lots of students living in our block). I have mainly quit hoarding hair products tho :D

luvlonghair75
September 19th, 2017, 09:18 AM
I was recently informed that not enough hair products and toiletries are being donated to local shelters. Some may or may not accept "gently used" products. Ask around. I will admit to have dumping stuff if I don't like it! My mom used to hoard a bunch of half used bottles of shampoos and conditioners and it drove my sister and I nuts when we were the ones who had to clear stuff out for when they moved. I took her stuff home and just dumped it. This was before I found out about the local shelters' needs. Dang... whoops!

Beckstar
September 19th, 2017, 11:18 AM
I give them to my son. He's a poor college student that appreciates anything.

Stray_mind
September 24th, 2017, 04:58 AM
Usually throw them away :shrug:
I am not a very economic person, lol.

meteor
September 24th, 2017, 10:48 AM
I never had to throw away that stuff. No store bought shampoo/conditioner I got was able to damage my hair anyway, it's all about just temporary aesthetics. So if I don't like it, I still use it, I just assume that my hair won't look/feel/detangle the best way possible that time around. I rotate products a lot so it's not a biggie for me anyway.

Also, I have a few rules of thumb:
- if a shampoo is too moisturizing, I can use it on length (not scalp) when it needs to be washed;
- if a shampoo is way too drying/stripping, I use it in scalp-only washes, when my length remains covered and protected from shampoo;
- if a conditioner is not conditioning enough, I can use it in leave-ins/LOC sometimes for light hold on braid waves or I can save it for the times when my hair is already well moisturized or I can use it in CWC or double-conditioning as my first conditioner or I can save it for SMTs or conditioner+oil or conditioner+gelatin or conditioner+honey or any other DIY concoctions that need some light conditioner as the base;
- if a conditioner is too heavy (hasn't happened in a while), I can use less or save it for the very ends or I can use it in pre-poo treatments.

esfand
September 24th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Shampoo and conditioner for hair can be used to handwash delicates like lingerie, wool clothing, silk, other natural fibers as they are similar to hair.

AZDesertRose
September 24th, 2017, 12:23 PM
You can also see if any local domestic violence shelters might be willing to accept open-but-barely-used containers of shampoos, conditioners, and styling products.

Homeless shelters, mobile-showering programs, and programs that help people get into/back into the workplace are great too, and with any of the aforementioned organizations, you probably just need to call or email and ask if they'll accept a donation of a container of [whatever personal grooming product] that's open but has been used only a few times.

lapushka
September 24th, 2017, 12:33 PM
You can also see if any local domestic violence shelters might be willing to accept open-but-barely-used containers of shampoos, conditioners, and styling products.

Homeless shelters, mobile-showering programs, and programs that help people get into/back into the workplace are great too, and with any of the aforementioned organizations, you probably just need to call or email and ask if they'll accept a donation of a container of [whatever personal grooming product] that's open but has been used only a few times.

They might accept it but might distribute it among personnel as I don't think they are technically allowed *anywhere* to give opened up stuff to women in need.

Salwety
September 25th, 2017, 03:12 AM
Shampoo goes right to the hand wash dispenser. But I don't buy shampoos any more.
And the conditioner is used when I or one of my kids co wash, or detangeling. And as a leave-in when I am intending to put my hair up, or when I will wash my hair again the next day. So basically it is used but more sparingly.
The good conditioners are used more frequently and when I am letting my hair down.

AZDesertRose
September 25th, 2017, 08:28 AM
They might accept it but might distribute it among personnel as I don't think they are technically allowed *anywhere* to give opened up stuff to women in need.

Can't hurt to call or email and ask about their policies. Those policies can vary widely by the particular shelter/nonprofit organization (and could possibly be a bit flexible depending on how badly they need any given donation item).

Some of them probably don't take open containers, but some might, and the only way to know (unless the organization makes it clear on a website or something) is to ask.

vpatt
September 25th, 2017, 03:25 PM
I have 3 children, 6 grands and 2 great grands. No shortage of people to share with. Oh and I also have a friend that I share with sometimes.

Also, I work with different animal fibers. (I spin, weave, dye, knit, wet felt) and I have always used shampoo and conditioners to wash raw fibers as well completed projects.

Andthetalltrees
September 25th, 2017, 03:49 PM
I have 3 children, 6 grands and 2 great grands. No shortage of people to share with. Oh and I also have a friend that I share with sometimes.

Also, I work with different animal fibers. (I spin, weave, dye, knit, wet felt) and I have always used shampoo and conditioners to wash raw fibers as well completed projects.

Oh yeah, Yarn! I've also heard that conditioner soaks can help artificial fibers feel softer too, I've not tried it before on yarn but have used it to repair doll hair with success.

enting
September 25th, 2017, 04:21 PM
Oh yeah, Yarn! I've also heard that conditioner soaks can help artificial fibers feel softer too, I've not tried it before on yarn but have used it to repair doll hair with success.

I wish I had known about using conditioner on doll hair when I was small. I used to rip through those poor dolls' hair just like I did my own until I learned better for myself.

Andthetalltrees
September 25th, 2017, 05:48 PM
I wish I had known about using conditioner on doll hair when I was small. I used to rip through those poor dolls' hair just like I did my own until I learned better for myself.

You know what's funny is I think I learned how to care for my own hair from my dolls(I still collect them and do their hair sometimes). I'd use a spray oil and conditioner on their hair and carefully finger detangle before brushing, I also learned how to braid that way :D

_anya
September 25th, 2017, 07:48 PM
If you're near any horse shelters, riding schools or farms that train, board or show horses, ask if they'd be interested in taking a look at what you have. Although it depends on the handler/horse, it's not uncommon at all for people to use made-for-human hair shampoo and condish, among other hair products, on horses.

DweamGoiL
September 25th, 2017, 08:06 PM
I make my children use them...lol

luvlonghair75
September 26th, 2017, 09:20 AM
If you're near any horse shelters, riding schools or farms that train, board or show horses, ask if they'd be interested in taking a look at what you have. Although it depends on the handler/horse, it's not uncommon at all for people to use made-for-human hair shampoo and condish, among other hair products, on horses.

Well, there is Mane 'n' Tail shampoo and conditioner for horses, also used on people! I wonder what the difference really is?!

riphair
September 30th, 2017, 01:34 PM
I make my children use them...lol

I also do this :cool: My hair is super picky and hates about 50% of all new products I try, and my skin is sensitive and doesn't always tolerate using shampoo as body wash or conditioner as shaving cream, so whatever product I can't use at all, I just keep around to use on my daughter or tell my hubby to use as body wash, lol. He doesn't know the difference. He's the most intellectual man I've ever met, but he fails to understand the terms on the bottles in the shower...

mira-chan
September 30th, 2017, 01:57 PM
If something doesn't work at all I usually give it to DH, he goes through everything quick and isn't picky. Sometimes mom or a friend takes it off my hands.

Kellylee
September 30th, 2017, 09:23 PM
I buy high end products (my best friend is a hairdresser so I get them discounted) so they are easy to give away to people in my family. I have quite a rang of hair types in my family so I just decided if they are too heavy or light and offer them up accordingly.

leayellena
October 1st, 2017, 12:50 AM
don´t ask me how - but somehow I finished the "bottles". I used them for Experiments. some were fail, others - not. but now I know: less is more. I don´t Need the whole haul of "super-regenerating formula with truffle fruits selected from the deepest epicenter of the dead sea especially for your super damaged hair that definitely conditions and makes it curly hair even when you flat iron it".
I think I have thicker hair than I thought, but still fragile. so co-washing is more important to me than regular washing (Shampoos contains more Alkohol and tend to dry hair instead of moisturing it). I have to condition the very small flyaways (can´t decide if they´re fine/medium/coarse yet) otherwise they´d break even before they´d reach er... ponytail length...