PDA

View Full Version : Ways to get more volume and definition

M.McDonough
June 3rd, 2017, 09:04 PM
Helle everyone,
I know that trimming gives you more volume and definition, but is there a way to get those without trimming? My hair is longer than it used to be and it's kind of pulling itself down, you know? I tried using a hair diffuser a few times, but I didn't like the result....

likelikepenny
June 4th, 2017, 01:12 AM
Do you have layers? Sometimes adding layers adds more shape and volume without losing length.

ghanima
June 4th, 2017, 01:20 AM
Personally I find that CO-washing has a volumizing effect on my hair, let's say more than WCC.
Also, finger combing my curls before bed as opposed to doing nothing. Which is also something I am experimenting with to minimize detangling problems when I wash them. But with that some level of definition may be lost.

For definition, it's all a trial and error research on what your hair reacts best to, within the general umbrella concept of LOC (see thread of Lapuschka). The thing in my present LOC routine that feel quite solid is the preference for applying the styling products in the shower when my hair is still dripping wet (as opposed to, say, turbie twisting it for 20 min and then applying products, which for others work better). With products I am still experimenting and anyway it's super subjective.

restless
June 4th, 2017, 06:34 AM
I dont know about definition, but IŽll get pretty good volume the next day if I put my damp hair in a bun/braid on top of my head and sleep with it that way.

lapushka
June 4th, 2017, 07:14 AM
Helle everyone,
I know that trimming gives you more volume and definition, but is there a way to get those without trimming? My hair is longer than it used to be and it's kind of pulling itself down, you know? I tried using a hair diffuser a few times, but I didn't like the result....

You have 3 type hair, right? Or...??? Pick the roots out with a pick once it's dry.

yahirwaO.o
June 4th, 2017, 09:55 PM
Yes a pick and getting some layers do give nice volume to any curly hair type.

Im jelous my hair never ever has volume :shrug:

M.McDonough
June 4th, 2017, 10:49 PM
Yes a pick and getting some layers do give nice volume to any curly hair type.

Im jelous my hair never ever has volume :shrug:

layers? I think I'm gonna do it. My bangs are really long (they can almost reach my nipples) and I have that triangle head look which is meh..plus they're weighed down 😪
I'll cut my hair myself, but where am I supposed to cut other than my bangs?

M.McDonough
June 5th, 2017, 02:09 PM
No one knows then..

lapushka
June 5th, 2017, 02:17 PM
How long is your hair? Curly.

M.McDonough
June 5th, 2017, 04:05 PM
How long is your hair? Curly.

Not sure somewhere around 21 or 22 inches. My 4th year mark is approaching.

lapushka
June 5th, 2017, 04:40 PM
Not sure somewhere around 21 or 22 inches. My 4th year mark is approaching.

Where is that on you? BSL? Because if it is shorter than that, or BSL, then homecuts (layering techniques) aren't for you (too short, hence the layers will be too short, especially on curly hair). You might want to go to a hairdresser in that case.

Layering up the hair will for sure help with volume.

M.McDonough
June 5th, 2017, 06:43 PM
Where is that on you? BSL? Because if it is shorter than that, or BSL, then homecuts (layering techniques) aren't for you (too short, hence the layers will be too short, especially on curly hair). You might want to go to a hairdresser in that case.

Layering up the hair will for sure help with volume.
Almost waist length

lapushka
June 6th, 2017, 02:20 AM
Almost waist length

When curly? If it is that length at least when curly (not stretched!) then the compact cut method for layering might be helpful.

You make a ponytail, either:
- on the top of your head
- on the top of your forehead
and snip a piece off.

This is how you get layers. I myself am hip+ now and my shortest bits (latter technique) are about APL now.

But you have to be fully *for* layers. Don't do this, then come complaining to me that it's too short. I warned you!

ghanima
June 6th, 2017, 02:58 AM
I am thinking of using that method (top of the head pony-tail) for my APL hair, only cutting the pony-tail no more than 2-3 inches, so as to have long-ish layers anyway. Before, I'll do the Feye method to trim it all half an inch. Do you think it could work?

lapushka
June 6th, 2017, 03:35 AM
I am thinking of using that method (top of the head pony-tail) for my APL hair, only cutting the pony-tail no more than 2-3 inches, so as to have long-ish layers anyway. Before, I'll do the Feye method to trim it all half an inch. Do you think it could work?

I wouldn't do it on APL, especially with curly hair, those front layers will be *short*. Honestly. It's not for naught that I say, beware if your hair is shorter than BSL! Don't blame me if you're shocked it's too short. :flower:

I have tried both methods. The one with the ponytail on the top will give you overall layers but they will be short up top if you're just APL, while the other method will go short to long (last "layer" is just your hair one length). With the latter method, my hair is hip+ in the back, and barely APL in front, so that should tell you something. If it's waist, or shorter, those layers will barely be chin, even shorter! So don't do it!

ghanima
June 6th, 2017, 08:29 AM
The idea was basically that in the ponytail on top of the head, there will be some very long hair corresponding to the canopy - because my hair when down are a not too pronounced U-shape. And I could cut only the canopy 2-3 inches shorter than it is now, without touching the rest, which would anyway be much shorter in the ponytail so it's no problem. Makes sense?