PDA

View Full Version : Using shampoo sparingly to combat frizzy dry hair?

Nbvoid97
June 2nd, 2017, 10:57 AM
Currently I wash my hair twice a week. My hair is 2c/3a and is really dry after I wash it. I shampoo and condition it every time I wash it.

My question is, what if I were to shampoo and condition it one day, then the next time I would wash it (which is usually 3-4 days later), instead of shampooing and conditioning, I just condition, and then the next time I wash my hair I go back to shampoo and condition and so on. The logic behind this would be me not getting rid of all of the natural oils on my scalp, so my hair wouldn't be as dry.

I feel like I don't really need to shampoo that often. My hair gets really frizzy and I think it might be because it's so dry due to my shampoo. I have started to oil the ends of my hair before I wash it but I can't say I see much of a difference. One thing to note is that, I don't wash my hair unless I'm shampooing and conditioning. So I don't wash it with just water in between or anything. I don't use any products either.

Has anyone done anything like this before?

VersLaLumière
June 2nd, 2017, 11:11 AM
Do you shampoo the entire length of the hair? If so, you could try shampooing just the scalp. The shampoo will glide down the rest of the hair a little, but avoid lathering up the length with shampoo. Then rinse it out, then apply only conditioner to the length (once or even twice, I do twice). My hair is wavy not curly, so others with a similar hair type to yours may have better advice than me. But my hair did used to be dry and frizzy before I started this routine and it really helps.

Nbvoid97
June 2nd, 2017, 11:17 AM
Do you shampoo the entire length of the hair? If so, you could try shampooing just the scalp. The shampoo will glide down the rest of the hair a little, but avoid lathering up the length with shampoo. Then rinse it out, then apply only conditioner to the length (once or even twice, I do twice). My hair is wavy not curly, so others with a similar hair type to yours may have better advice than me. But my hair did used to be dry and frizzy before I started this routine and it really helps.

I only shampoo my scalp but like you said, some of it glides down. I recently shortened the amount of time I spend washing my hair. Washing it only takes about 10 mins now for me. I only use conditioner once. Never actually tried to use it twice.

Andthetalltrees
June 2nd, 2017, 11:27 AM
My hair isn't curly, But is super dry. I use shampoo, I just use very moisturizing conditioners(Aussie moist is my go-to), Recently I've been doing it twice after wash too. I let it soak in the water after shampooing for a little while, Seems to make a huge difference to me. and after washing I use a small amount of oil and a creamy leave in. Honestly something that seemed to help the most is washing my hair more often(Every other day) it seems like it really likes getting water and conditioner more. But I know that's not universally true and curly hair is more delicate. Maybe try spraying more water on your hair between washes and seal it with oils or leave in?

Deborah
June 2nd, 2017, 11:28 AM
Perhaps you could try washing your hair as usual, but just once a week instead of twice. Maybe you don't need to wash as often as you think.

akurah
June 2nd, 2017, 11:54 AM
You can clean your hair with conditioner and no shampoo if you're struggling with dryness. It's called "conditioner-only" washing or CO washing. I'd give that a shot and stop using shampoo entirely for awhile. If it works, you can always use the shampoo for a body wash instead. If it doesn't stop the frizz to your satisfaction, I would look into using additional products. For example, aloe vera gel on wet hair is what I used to do before I got fed up with washing and went to washing 1x a week.

I know you said your hair isn't curly but you also describe it as 2c/3a. I think you might be in denial about curly. ;) as such another option would be to do a "curly girl" method.

lapushka
June 2nd, 2017, 12:09 PM
It all has to do with what your scalp can tolerate. Scalp health is the key factor here.

I double condition after shampooing, especially to combat the dryness of the shampoo - I can tell you it works really well! You could try the CWC method for washing, or the WCC method (which I use). There's plenty on this forum for you to try. I wouldn't immediately turn to CO-washing. I would try a sulfate-free shampoo first, to see whether or not your scalp is on board with that lower cleansing.

Shepherdess
June 2nd, 2017, 12:22 PM
I also highly recommend the WCC (wash + conditioner + conditioner) method, like Lapushka suggested. This is what I normally do once or twice a week with mostly scalp only washes. My hair is sensitive to harsh shampoos, but at the same time my scalp is sensitive to too much oils so lately I have been using a sulfate shampoo mixed with a non sulfate shampoo for my scalp only and this seems to help. If your scalp needs it, maybe a diluted shampoo for your scalp only would work better? Also, I highly recommend the LOC (leave in + oil + cream) method after you have washed your hair, this has really helped my hair retain some moisture after it has been washed. :)

renia22
June 2nd, 2017, 03:38 PM
What do you do after washing? Do you brush or comb it? Heat or air dry? Do you use any styling tools? Apparently with wavy/ curly hair, if you just detangle in the shower and let it air dry after that.. with only finger combing if you have to, it's supposed to help with the frizzies. I have 2C hair too and don't do that, I do comb and dry it on low heat/ low speed, and use specific products to help with frizz if that's an issue, but perhaps the air dry/ don't touch your hair method might help you?

VersLaLumière
June 2nd, 2017, 03:39 PM
I only shampoo my scalp but like you said, some of it glides down. I recently shortened the amount of time I spend washing my hair. Washing it only takes about 10 mins now for me. I only use conditioner once. Never actually tried to use it twice.

Yes using it twice is key for me, as lapushka and shepherdess suggest. I do WCC and usually only need to double condition on the last 3"-4" or so of my hair, not on the whole length. My hair is also fairly course and this method helps smooth it out. As others say though there are many methods on this forum to try :)