PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles and securing methods for small children?

enting
June 1st, 2017, 04:02 AM
What hair tools would be safe to put up hair on a child in nursery school/kindergarten?

Almost all the updos I have learned here on TLHC use hairsticks or forks, but I don't think those are the right choice for a small child. I know ways of securing a bun with claw clips, but I am uncertain about using even those on someone that young. This child's hair is very smooth and slippery, midback length, and not very thick with a lot of taper. Ponytails and braids keep slipping out.

If anyone also has ideas of very quick and easy hairstyles that don't require a lot of hand and wrist movement, suggestions would be welcome.

My own hair is usually quite grabby, and I can use any hairtool on my hair without hazard, so I need some help brainstorming.

Nique1202
June 1st, 2017, 04:42 AM
My best suggestion for slippery hair is always those little tiny elastics that come in clear, black, and many bright colours for kids. They're very grippy, but if they get caught on a hair, they snap easily or most break down with a little bit of oil (they're usually made of latex, but don't seem to have the additive that most people with a latex allergy are allergic to) and they're very cheap to replace. I switched to them for my braid ends after I started getting damage from nearly every normal or normal-ish type of elastic, and I've never looked back.

lapushka
June 1st, 2017, 04:45 AM
Yep, those tiny elastics, and no sticks or forks (they could hurt themselves). Not even claw clips.

enting
June 1st, 2017, 04:53 AM
Thank you Nique1202! I think I know where to buy those in bulk, too.

What sorts of easy styles would be good to do with them? So far I can think of ponytails, a pulled through banded ponytail, plain banded ponytail, braid, and rope braid.
Can they work for buns or are they too small? That is, if bunning is even a good idea to try.

I know that there are all sorts of lattice ponytail styles that can be done with these elastics, but I think that will take longer than the kid's patience :).

Yes, Lapushka, I was worried about the claws. Thank you for confirming that it's a bad idea.

Simsy
June 1st, 2017, 05:29 AM
Have you tried braiding? Small braids might stay in a bit better, and a little oil might help keep everything in. You can then style the braids into a something as you please.

MidnightMoon
June 1st, 2017, 05:37 AM
I had a kid with very long, very straight, soft and slippery hair. She either wore in a high ponytail, or braided and secured with a small elastic.
Rest of the kids either wore it loose, in two braids, a rope braid, and such. Definitely avoid anything expensive, sharp, heavy or that would become uncomfortable to the child during the day, because they'll just take it off and come back with a nest on their head lol.
You could also try the tiny clips, like these https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1e_JjIXXXXXbHXXXXq6xXFXXXv/Plastic-hair-claws-Recessionista-hair-maker-mini-gripper-small-hair-clip-accessory-headwear-For-Women-Girls.jpg, they are smaller than a nail, so shouldn't weigh too much, or a problem in case they decide to lie down/rest their head/get hit by something where the clips are located. That could be used to attempt some sort of bun or secure braids.

Another style would be to make braids out of braids. I do it when I want to shorten the length of my hair, and get heavier and thicker braids, but it does involve a lot of manipulation.
I first separate my hair in half, and then each half three equal parts. I braid each section, so I end up with three small braids on each side of my head, and then braid that again, so it's two braids, made up of 6 braids.

lapushka
June 1st, 2017, 05:52 AM
I have a few great YT channels I am subbed to for ideas but since they haven't posted in a while, and I can't recall the name right now... But just Google for cute kids' hairstyles and they will pop up.