PDA

View Full Version : Is waist length hair in a ponytail too much if you work in a hospital?

Sweetalexandria
May 31st, 2017, 12:21 PM
I have waist length hair and I really like my hair in a high ponytail. I have a full face and I feel like a ponytail makes my face look more defined. The only problem is that because it's long, thick and can be fluffy and prone to getting into tangles, I feel like I might look unprofessional at work.

I am tired of plaiting my hair as I have had this hairstyle for a couple of years . And I feel like I need a change. I want my hair in a ponytail but because I work in a hospital, would that waist length hair look odd?. I'm just wondering if anyone else has worn their hair long in a ponytail in a hospital?. I'm even thinking of cutting my hair.

sarahthegemini
May 31st, 2017, 12:33 PM
Personally I think hair that long needs to be more contained when in a hospital. It's a hazard otherwise.

mira-chan
May 31st, 2017, 12:36 PM
I work in a lab, so have to have my hair tied back as well. I would be wary of wearing a long ponytail in a hospital if you work with patients or any biohazard as your hair can fall forward and touch something you really don't want it to touch.

Why not bun the ponytail. A high bun might be an alternative for the ponytail?

I wear my hair fully up at work. If I have any experiment work to do, I won't even braid, it will be up and away from my work materials.

lithostoic
May 31st, 2017, 12:36 PM
I don't even work at a hospital and I keep my (almost) waist length hair braided or bunned for work. Having a ponytail at BSL+ is basically like having your hair loose.

Cut it off??? Why can't you just put it in a bun?

Prism
May 31st, 2017, 12:43 PM
Former nurse here. Your hair should be more contained. It shouldn't be whipping around when you move, and it will be in a ponytail and even a single braid. I'd just put it up in a bun. Don't you think if you cut it you'll regret it? Buns are easy.

lapushka
May 31st, 2017, 01:39 PM
I've had my hair in a bun for about (at least) 5 years. I don't mind, though, that it's always the same. Maybe try a bun of some sorts? Or a side braid? Those can be cute!

Kiiruna
May 31st, 2017, 01:45 PM
Nurse here, working in a hospital. I think that ponytail is not enough at waist length. It should be either braided or bunned. Preferably bunned.

Sweetalexandria
May 31st, 2017, 01:45 PM
I am really bad at styling my hair. I even had to do some work to get that perfect braid lol. The silly part is that I have long hair which I can't even handle myself that I need help doing a french braid.

I like the idea of a bun. Hmm, my mum suggested the same thing. I usually go to my mum or sister for advice when it comes to hairstyles.

I am glad I came here to find out otherwise I would have looked really weird lol. I work with medical equipment in an intensive care unit.

I am just thinking long hair gets quite heavy. How do you comfortably put it up into a high bun and secure it firmly?. I need to start learning.

*Wednesday*
May 31st, 2017, 01:47 PM
In my travels, I’ve seen nurses and hospital workers with pony tails or mostly low buns. I would think your hair left down flowing at waist is not professional. If your hair tangles, why cut it? Use hair styles to eliminate tangles and “fluff.” Have you tried an English braid or braid your pony tail and secure it? Unless you are tired of your hair and looking for a reason to cut it. Use alternative updo’s. Perhaps the itch to cut will pass in a few weeks.

Chromis
May 31st, 2017, 01:53 PM
I find all high buns uncomfortable and prefer low ones. That said, try the hairstyles subforum for ideas and tips! All of my tips are for low buns, but I know there are plenty of people who like them high.

I find hair only feels heavy when it is unbalanced. Some styles just don't sit "right" for me or if I have not put it up well I can feel strain in my neck, especially if it is too loose or starting to slide out. Once I take it out and try again, everything is fine!

lapushka
May 31st, 2017, 02:05 PM
My bun sits just above ear level. It's where I can distribute the weight nicely, for me. It depends from person to person where that "sweet spot" is for you. Trial and error, is all I can say. And there are plenty of buns you can try. LWB, cinnabun, disk bun, nautilus, etc.

akurah
May 31st, 2017, 03:56 PM
Why not a pony scrub? Ponytail bun (don't pull the ponytail all the way through), pop the pony scrub on your head, put the ponytail bun in the pony pocket, secure it, call it a day.

Groovy Granny
May 31st, 2017, 04:49 PM
Back in the early 70's when started nursing in a hospital I had WL hair and did a flipped english braid secured with a barrette topped with my nurses cap :o

A ponytail then and now :tmi: for so many reasons!

Bun or flip braid it :thumbsup:

FennFire911
May 31st, 2017, 05:13 PM
I don't see a need to cut hair, but I do strongly advocate bunning it like pretty much everyone else. I'm a paramedic currently working in an urgent care facility, and years of experience in trucks, and leaving my hair down is always annoying and makes me feel vulnerable. It could get caught on something, splashed by something, etc.
What was beneficial to me learning buns was going to the bun picture thread here and seeing names of buns, then looking up tutorial for them on YouTube. Also looking up general hair stick how-to videos.

vpatt
May 31st, 2017, 05:25 PM
I worked in a hospital too and had to bun my hair. But it was so enjoyable to take my bun down after work...sometimes on the way to my car I was pulling out hairpins. I didn't mind the bun but I liked it better down.

Prism
May 31st, 2017, 05:34 PM
What was beneficial to me learning buns was going to the bun picture thread here and seeing names of buns, then looking up tutorial for them on YouTube. Also looking up general hair stick how-to videos.
Great idea!

Nique1202
June 1st, 2017, 04:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcSaBWbBYug

Four quick and easy buns with securing tips. It's been a while since I watched it, but I believe the friend she made the video for is also a nurse. Hopefully at least one of these options will work for you!

Anje
June 1st, 2017, 05:17 AM
If I were a patient, I wouldn't want your hair falling across me. Especially if I think it's been dragging across other sick people and surfaces all day.

I've had to tell at my microbiology students to get their hair out of petri dishes. Literally. Long ponytailed hair draped into culture medium.

So no, I don't think it's adequately professional to wear it so loose in a healthcare setting. Bun it, or at minimum braid it. That will keep it out of your way as well.

Simsy
June 1st, 2017, 05:24 AM
Speaking as a truck driver, like Ng hair loose in a pony tends to get into strife. Caught on/in things, dipped in things, yanked, cut...

If you like the look of a high pony, try a bun up there. Braided buns should be decently secure. When I was your length, I found the most solid bun was a pony divided into 2 or 3 braids and wrapped around each other, securing each braid as you work around the bun. Also found 2 small buns to be an interesting change of pace.

I live in milkmaid braids, 2 braids wrapped and pinned around my head; comfy, secure and solid as a rock.

MidnightMoon
June 1st, 2017, 05:29 AM
I've seen nurses with long hair. Also doctors working in consultation, not while operating, surgeons and such. I don't really mind it, but I guess it could be bad if it it somehow ends in a patient's bed or body. I'd find it unhygienic, or dangerous. Also, it could get caught in things or get pulled by patients.
It could also be seen as less professional/childish, depending on your overall look. I felt younger and less professional looking when I wore my hair loose (ponytail included), because it's a length already seen as youngish. I worked in an office, so no danger in wearing loose hair there, but I avoided it... people touched it, commented on it, I was constantly touching it, and it made me feel a bit self aware, I mean, you don't see my superiors walking around with loose waist-tailbone hair, sadly.

lizardspots
June 1st, 2017, 05:38 AM
I am a doctor, and I always have my hair either in a low bun or a braid. I don't think you should cut your hair, but experiment with different styles to see what works for you :) How about something like double buns? If your hair is very thick and difficult to manage, maybe splitting it in half will be easier to work with.

OhSuzi
June 1st, 2017, 06:00 AM
All the female doctors in ‘House’ used to just where there perfectly quaffed hair down or in ponytails – however they were actors and their hair mainly only seems to reach as far as Boob length.

Id have no issue with my GP having their hair tied back in a pony, but if you’re leaning over patients or performing surgery & its flailing about & getting in the way – I guess you’d have to have a more practical style – same as ballet dancers and army women – Buns n plaits seem to be the order of the day. Or at least a low pony tail that doesn’t swing about.

You could keep it tucked under your scrubs?

In general when you’re wearing your hair in a pony / you don’t have time to plait but the ends get all tangled you could consider wearing elastic hair ties all the way down the length of the pony tail – so youd still have a pony tail but it’s contained & wont poof out.

lapushka
June 1st, 2017, 06:49 AM
Why not a pony scrub? Ponytail bun (don't pull the ponytail all the way through), pop the pony scrub on your head, put the ponytail bun in the pony pocket, secure it, call it a day.

Are you talking about a knot bun, with leaving the tail out?

Dendra
June 1st, 2017, 07:23 AM
I would have to agree with practically everyone else and say that I think a long pony tail in a hospital would look out of place - perhaps too casual and like an accident waiting to happen!

Could you do a peacock twist and fold the ends under (held with a claw clip), so that it's more like a bun?

Chromis
June 1st, 2017, 08:19 AM
Are you talking about a knot bun, with leaving the tail out?

She is talking about a surgical scrub hat for long hairs: http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/scrub-hats/womens-surgical-scrub-hats/pony-collection/

MoonRabbit
June 1st, 2017, 10:02 AM
When my mom had knee length hair, she would just keep it in a braided pony while she worked in a medical facility. Her boss said as long as her hair was contained in a braid it was fine.

As for my opinion, I would bun it, I have waist length hair and couldn't imagine wearing it in a pony for so long. Not that it is "unprofessional" just out of pure annoyance on myself and worrying about damage.

Mrstran
June 1st, 2017, 10:41 AM
I always kept mine up high in a bun for practical reasons and safety. I thought of it this way, I was at work, not really a fashion show in that place. (Oh the ugly lab coats, scrubs, and protective crap!) Besides, it would be more professional to keep it all up as well, and co workers would take me a bit more seriously knowing that it was only about work with me. Of corse looking clean and nice is important, but I wouldn't worry so much about hairstyles in that type of career. Retail and such, yeah. That's just my opinion.
Where I worked, there was a nurse who always came in wearing her hair down, and fake nails... YUCK! All against the rules but she got away with it because we worked nights. The doctors seen her as a joke and showed her no respect. The rest of us kept it simple and clean and were treated decent. Not perfect but decent. Not all the doctors were very nice lol but they treated us better than her because she came in sloppy as if ready to party.

I'm not saying you are doing this by any means. Just giving my experience with an extreme case of being more fashionable in a hospital setting. Fashion is good, but not if it crosses the safety, professional, and practical lines. Again, opinion only.

truepeacenik
June 2nd, 2017, 07:39 AM
I'm a massage therapist, so my concerns about infection control are less rigid, but they do exist.
I bun, braid and loop, and occasionally wear a pony scrub hat made for long hair.

No way would I wear loose hair to work. In anything.

Hypothesis
June 2nd, 2017, 07:46 AM
All the female nurses at my local hospital must have their hair in buns. I'm not sure about the physios and female doctors, but they generally have their hair in buns too. As a Personal Carer, I have a bit more hair freedom, but if a client of mine is in hospital, I tend to either tightly braid my hair or put it in a bun.

ladyfey
June 2nd, 2017, 02:22 PM
A ponytail is no good for hospital work. Just one example, if you are doing chest compressions on a patient, your hair will be on their chest. It would be a hazard, mine was always up in a bun or crown braid at work.

lapushka
June 2nd, 2017, 03:10 PM
She is talking about a surgical scrub hat for long hairs: http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/scrub-hats/womens-surgical-scrub-hats/pony-collection/

Oh, woops. Quite the misunderstanding there, sorry. :o I thought she was talking about some kind of bun. LOL!

Chromis
June 2nd, 2017, 03:45 PM
Oh, woops. Quite the misunderstanding there, sorry. :o I thought she was talking about some kind of bun. LOL!

Hehe, giving an actual link was probably a good idea anyhow, in case our OP hadn't heard of them!

akurah
June 2nd, 2017, 03:59 PM
Hehe, giving an actual link was probably a good idea anyhow, in case our OP hadn't heard of them!

Oh, yes, my bad! thank you Chromis for explaining, I've been bad at following up where i've previously stopped in.

I recently bought one to replace my missing pink camo one from blue sky scrubs to wear under my bike helmet. Unfortunately, Blue Sky Scrubs no longer makes the pink camo one. Got this one instead:
http://etsy.me/2rO5STn (hope the link works...)

On my head:
http://i.imgur.com/nG7cLub.jpg

If you go to etsy and search by "pony scrub" all sorts of scrub hats come back. You honestly probably don't have to bun your hair to get it in the pocket, as I'm sure there are multiple ways to cram it in (including loose, if you were so ambitious, I'm pretty sure I've done that at least once). I prefer to braid and stuff in myself.

VersLaLumičre
June 2nd, 2017, 05:19 PM
I think a high ponytail for work can look unprofessional with long hair as it seems unsanitary and it also tends to fly around a lot and get in the way. Even at BSL length I would find it to be too much.

But even if this weren't the case, I wouldn't keep my hair in a high ponytail at work anyway because that would make my hair more prone to damage, and dryness at the ends. Again, it's flying around a lot for eight hours. I prefer a more protective bun. I think of a high ponytail as an attractive and even flirty style for a get-together with friends, party, dinner, street style, etc.

Lisa Long4Life
June 3rd, 2017, 04:26 AM
my friend is a doctor with classic length hair and she always buns it. I didn't even know it was so long until quite recently (last couple of years) because she always has it bunned.

bbkitty09
June 9th, 2017, 07:30 PM
I would rather see a waist length pony tail then the your hair being down and loose. You can always tuck the end of the pony in the back of your scrubs if its long enough. You could also plait the pony and fold it in half and clip it. You could also look into snoods and bun covers.

Miss P
June 10th, 2017, 06:16 AM
My friend has tailbone length hair and works as a nurse. When she's just doing admin work and basic supplies stuff she has a ponytail, but interactions with patients, bloodwork, etc. she puts it into milkmaid braids. If it gives her too much of a headache she puts it into a sectioned ponytail so it hangs but is contained. Hope this helps some :)

truepeacenik
June 10th, 2017, 06:44 AM
https://www.etsy.com/listing/268110029/ponytail-scrub-hatglow-in-the-dark?ref=shop_home_active_89

The pony scrub I wear most often.

The Maple Leaf
June 10th, 2017, 09:52 AM
I also support the idea of you wearing your hair in a bun at work. It keeps it neat and out of the way.