PDA

View Full Version : Warm weather - more breakage ☹️

Flossiebell
May 30th, 2017, 12:57 PM
Hi all, I'm sure someone has answered this before but I cannot find anything when I search. Basically as soon as the weather gets a little warm my hair just sticks to my hands when I try to do an updo. Even the simplest thing like a ponytail ends in tangles and snapping no matter how careful I am (I use evoo and serum too). Does anyone else have this issue? If so, how do you stop it from happening? Right now all I can think of is coating my hands with flour like you would when rolling pastry etc lol. Surely there has to be a better solution, I don't want to look like I've stuck my head in a sack of flour lol

parallellines
May 30th, 2017, 01:37 PM
Hi Flossiebell. Do you think the problem might be your hands being too sticky (like from increased humidity) or from your hair being too dry (like from decreased humidity and increased heat)?

It's just me being confused between the hairs sticking to your hands and the hairs getting tangled when you put them into a ponytail. And it could be both problems, I just realized.

The "I just stuck my head in a sack of flour" aesthetic doesn't work for a lot of people and like you, I would not want to walk around looking like that either!

Andthetalltrees
May 30th, 2017, 01:39 PM
I'm confused too, The only time my hair ever seems 'sticky' is when I put too much product in my hair and it doesn't absorb it. So could that be your issue? Maybe try taking out something like the serum and see if it helps.

lithostoic
May 30th, 2017, 01:48 PM
Protein treatment? Makes my hair a lot less grabby.

Flossiebell
May 30th, 2017, 02:01 PM
Hi parallellines, I think it's the humidity that causes it. It isn't as bad in winter. I have wurly hair that seems to 'come alive' when I try to put it up. My hair is quite dry hence using evoo and serum to moisturise and provide slip. Any form of updo becomes a nightmare.

MidnightMoon
May 30th, 2017, 02:02 PM
I get what you mean, I always thought it had to do with my hair being so fine and floaty. Not only it sticks more to my arms and fingers, but also my neck, arms, shoulders, face. It drives me nuts, specially if I'm doing an updo.
My best advice would be to make sure your room or where you attempt to comb your hair is as cool as possible. Near a window, ventilator or conditioner on, and wear a shirt or sleeves while you do your hair, so it doesn't stick and doesn't get wet with sweat. Less washing is harder for me during hotter times too, as I feel the oil doesn't help with this, and like sweat is "trapped" close to my scalp.
I'd advice against putting any product on your hair or hands, I don't like putting something in my hair which I know is going to stay there for 4-5 days. Worse if I were to use it every day, so it's cumulative.
I just really hate summer ugh... heat, sun=:headache:

Flossiebell
May 30th, 2017, 02:05 PM
Hi Andthetalltrees, I've had this problem for some time now. I cut 12 inches off a few years ago due to it being so very clingy. I have tried no leave in, using leave in, using oil instead and serum to try to give it more slip. Maybe it's because I have dyed it several times and that's contributing? Really unsure how to fix it.

Flossiebell
May 30th, 2017, 02:07 PM
Hi Lithostoic, thanks for the idea unfortunately my hair hates protein, it makes it brittle and snaps off.

MidnightMoon
May 30th, 2017, 02:13 PM
While I think more porous and drier hair might be more prone to this, I seriously think it has to do with hair type too, and humidity of course. Even my virgin hair is floaty and sticky. Strands stick to each other, to my scalp, to my face, etc. It doesn't weigh enough to stay straight or wavy in one direction, so it floats and sticks in whichever position it wants to any part. Or it sticks and since it's so fine ir just doesn't go back to it's original position unless I remove it with my hands and place it back again.

Flossiebell
May 30th, 2017, 02:51 PM
Hi MidnightMoon, I share your feelings toward summer 100%. I'm not sure if I can forego leave in of some sort because I've got it in my head that if I don't put something on my hair it will get damaged. Probably because I don't trim it very often I guess. But it's something to think about all the same.

Flossiebell
May 30th, 2017, 02:59 PM
MidnightMoon - I know what you mean re floaty weightless hair. I am really hoping that the longer it gets the more luck gravity will have with holding it down lol

MidnightMoon
May 30th, 2017, 03:22 PM
Doesn't happen all that much for me lol. My hair closer to the scalp is in better condition, more abundant, and oils make it a bit less floaty. Ends, on the other hand, have nothing to hold them down hehe. I do find it easier to care for once it's past waist, though. Maybe not in the floaty sense, but I can pat it down from the back, and isn't constantly moving from the front to the back, and so on.

I don't use any leave ins, but I do use a good amount of conditioners, sometimes with cones, and I put a few drops of oil in my hair every once in a while. Just have to be careful not to use too much, because it's easy to use too much with my hair type. I'm not telling you to quit using any products, but I wouldn't use any spray, gel, or powder on it. Most of those products aren't really good for your hair, and I find it a bit gross to put spray on hair for 4 days in a row without washing, considering the dust it gathers through the day, skin cells, dirt from the air in the street, etc. I realise any hair is exposed to this, but I feel like I'd be just sealing it in and making it more prone to keep that stuff in there. Not to mention having something not good for your hair constantly in it, not just while you wash, for ex., but 24/7

likelikepenny
May 30th, 2017, 03:26 PM
Is it possible you have build up and need to clarify?

Flossiebell
May 30th, 2017, 03:54 PM
Hi Likelikepenny, I don't think I need to clarify. I use a sls shampoo, and that's the same thing isn't it?

MsPharaohMoan
May 31st, 2017, 10:49 AM
Ah, clarifying is also a technique. It involves sudsing up the entire mane, especially the ends where most products are distributed. Some people find using an sls shampoo and letting the suds run down their hair when rinsing is enough to keep buildup at bay, but I like a good clarifying session to reset things before a hair mask.

Hopefully that clears things up for you ;)

Arctic
May 31st, 2017, 11:04 AM
^ Also, many normal (non-clarifying) shampoos can still contain ingredients that cause build up.

Arctic
May 31st, 2017, 11:06 AM
When I read the OP my first thought was, are your palms more moist in the summer? I know my hair can stick to my hands if my palms are not dry. Alas, I don't know what to do about this, if this is the case - it's more palm problem than hair problem. Maybe googling would bring some tips.

gthlvrmx
May 31st, 2017, 11:49 AM
Hi Likelikepenny, I don't think I need to clarify. I use a sls shampoo, and that's the same thing isn't it?

Not exactly. Clarifying shampoos are a bit stronger and shouldn't leave residues or any build up. Many regular shampoos and all conditioners cause build up these days.