PDA

View Full Version : Bridesmaid Hairstyle ideas for long hair?

Shepherdess
May 29th, 2017, 03:17 PM
Hi everyone!!

I will be a bridesmaid in a wedding and I am wracking my brain trying to think of what style to do. I thought maybe some of you lovely people on here might have some good ideas. :flower: I would like to make it look nice for the event, though I don't have much experience with what would be a good style for a wedding. Any ideas for lower thigh (almost knee) length hair updos? If I leave my hair out (which I was thinking of doing too, though not sure if that would be fitting or not for a bridesmaid), I can get it to curl to tailbone length when out, so any half updos might be cool too?

Any advice or style ideas would be much appreciated! :) :blossom:

Shiranshoku
May 29th, 2017, 03:20 PM
Oooh, have fun!

I'd opt for a braid and/or bun. Up, in any case. Beautiful, very long hair is a show stopper and you don't want to outshine the bride!

Shepherdess
May 29th, 2017, 03:38 PM
Oooh, have fun!

I'd opt for a braid and/or bun. Up, in any case. Beautiful, very long hair is a show stopper and you don't want to outshine the bride!

Thank you!!! :)

Yes, you bring up a good point. A braid and bun style would probably be the best option for this. :) Thank you for your input!! I appreciate it!! :flower:

mira-chan
May 29th, 2017, 06:33 PM
How good are you at braiding? Especially more complicated braided styles?

ETA: The last couple of posts on this thread have hairstyle articles linked. (The first couple posts have broken links, those have been fixed in the later posts unless something was moved.)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=41073

Tosca
May 29th, 2017, 08:31 PM
I think a coronet braid (like Yulia Tymoshenko) would be nice. You could add decorated u shaped pins (https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4sPj65os0kF_FE5joSszG72R44cqEs SLHk1PAsBnnQby_BOfwc4CFqPJk for example) as well.

Shepherdess
May 29th, 2017, 09:33 PM
How good are you at braiding? Especially more complicated braided styles?

ETA: The last couple of posts on this thread have hairstyle articles linked. (The first couple posts have broken links, those have been fixed in the later posts unless something was moved.)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=41073
I only really can do English braids unfortunately. I have tried doing other types of braids, but I usually mess up on them, though I might be able to do something with practice. :)

Thank you for the link. :) When I have a bit of extra time this week, I will have to look through them. :)

I think a coronet braid (like Yulia Tymoshenko) would be nice. You could add decorated u shaped pins (https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4sPj65os0kF_FE5joSszG72R44cqEs SLHk1PAsBnnQby_BOfwc4CFqPJk for example) as well.

A coronet braid would be a very pretty style, thank you for the suggestion, and I love the hair pin ideas with it as well. :) I sometimes have trouble keeping coronet braids up for a whole day, since I have to do it in two braids, and one braid usually always seems to slide down on me after a few hours, though maybe I am doing it wrong? I will have to try practicing this one more and hopefully get this figured out. :) Thanks once again!!

akurah
May 29th, 2017, 09:54 PM
Am I correct in assuming that the bride doesn't expect to have say/veto over the style?

Shepherdess
May 29th, 2017, 10:07 PM
Am I correct in assuming that the bride doesn't expect to have say/veto over the style?
Thank you for your comment. :) Besides the dresses, she only really mentioned that she just wants us to look nice for the photos. She only really specified about types of dresses she wanted us to find, but hasn't really given any indicators about hairstyles. I asked her a lot of questions about the dresses when I was trying to find one, so I am kind of afraid to ask her too many more questions since she seems to be so busy right now with getting ready, but I probably should ask her just to be sure.
:)

akurah
May 30th, 2017, 12:02 AM
Thank you for your comment. :) Besides the dresses, she only really mentioned that she just wants us to look nice for the photos. She only really specified about types of dresses she wanted us to find, but hasn't really given any indicators about hairstyles. I asked her a lot of questions about the dresses when I was trying to find one, so I am kind of afraid to ask her too many more questions since she seems to be so busy right now with getting ready, but I probably should ask her just to be sure.
:)

Or you could ask the other bridesmaids what their plan is if she doesn't have explicit instructions (well, if you know them?). I'd aim for coordinating styles, but not matching, because the odds of you being able to match what they do with your length is going to be tricky/hard unless they're also longhairs or at least around mid back or waist.

OhSuzi
May 30th, 2017, 05:44 AM
Well first you can ask the bride, not in a panicked please organise me fashion - what should I do, can I do this etc. when she’s trying to arrange everything
I don’t know how long you have til the wedding, but if you get a chance to just have a coffee or a glass of wine and a chat together, ask her enthusiastically to discuss her vision, how it’s all going, what sort of style does she think she’s gonna have for her hair, does she want you to match or be similar, or completely different or does she want to put a particular type of flower in everyones hair and has she got a vague idea for brides maid dresses - you don't have to ask all of these at once and just ask her in general whilst having a conversation about all weddingy stuff and maybe offer to help with anything that might be stressing her out.
If you really feel you cant ask / or she's like TALK TO ME ABOUT ANYTHING BUT THE WEDDING RIGHT NOW,
you can ask other bridesmaids what they are doing with their hair.
Is she having a bridal hairstylist? You could ask them for thoughts / opinions. Or you could pay to get yours done by them to.

If you know what the dress is going to be like, that might help e.g. if its 50s style you might want to try and pin it up in some kind of impressive bun type affair, if its 70s bohemian style you could wear it down with just braid waves and flowers in your hair etc.

What I do know is it has to last all day & if you’re busy running around looking after the bride, getting photos done dancing etc. you don’t want something that feels uncomfortable / will fall out / get in the way / need constant poking & rearranging / you don’t want curls that will drop – unless either your hair is good at keeping them in / or you only want them for the photos and by the evening when you're dancing and possibly drinking and being merry that you no longer care what your hair is doing.

& If you don’t normally like sticking products in your hair, this may have to be the exception if you do want a certain style to hold all day.

Bridal stylist or (possibly just an experienced hair doing friend?)would probably be able to put it in a thick pretty voluminous type plait that would help reduce some of the length for the sake of practicality & would be easy to decorate with sparkles or flowers or have enough interesting braid bits to just be left alone.

Have a quick look on google or pinterest for inspiration.

Would love some pics of whatever style you go for in the end!

Cherriezzzzz
May 30th, 2017, 05:52 AM
Google APOSTALIC hairstyles. Those girls have ultra long hair and super awesome updos and curl hold... dainty jewels .com is a clothing site full of long hair styles on their models for their pretty clothes (bridesmaid and every day wear!) I'm not affiliated with them, I just buy their stuff haha one time my son was looking over my shoulder while I browsed their website and commented on how nice this one girls hair was. It was beyond classic, but curled to perfection. He's only ten, so yea if he noticed... It's amazing haha

Shepherdess
June 2nd, 2017, 12:29 AM
Or you could ask the other bridesmaids what their plan is if she doesn't have explicit instructions (well, if you know them?). I'd aim for coordinating styles, but not matching, because the odds of you being able to match what they do with your length is going to be tricky/hard unless they're also longhairs or at least around mid back or waist.
Thank you for that idea! I haven't had a chance to contact anyone about it yet, but will have to soon. I know with the dresses she wanted a very similar style, though mix-match at the same time, so I am guessing that hairstyles might end up being similar. I'll try contacting tomorrow if I can. :)

Well first you can ask the bride, not in a panicked please organise me fashion - what should I do, can I do this etc. when she’s trying to arrange everything
I don’t know how long you have til the wedding, but if you get a chance to just have a coffee or a glass of wine and a chat together, ask her enthusiastically to discuss her vision, how it’s all going, what sort of style does she think she’s gonna have for her hair, does she want you to match or be similar, or completely different or does she want to put a particular type of flower in everyones hair and has she got a vague idea for brides maid dresses - you don't have to ask all of these at once and just ask her in general whilst having a conversation about all weddingy stuff and maybe offer to help with anything that might be stressing her out.
If you really feel you cant ask / or she's like TALK TO ME ABOUT ANYTHING BUT THE WEDDING RIGHT NOW,
you can ask other bridesmaids what they are doing with their hair.
Is she having a bridal hairstylist? You could ask them for thoughts / opinions. Or you could pay to get yours done by them to.

If you know what the dress is going to be like, that might help e.g. if its 50s style you might want to try and pin it up in some kind of impressive bun type affair, if its 70s bohemian style you could wear it down with just braid waves and flowers in your hair etc.

What I do know is it has to last all day & if you’re busy running around looking after the bride, getting photos done dancing etc. you don’t want something that feels uncomfortable / will fall out / get in the way / need constant poking & rearranging / you don’t want curls that will drop – unless either your hair is good at keeping them in / or you only want them for the photos and by the evening when you're dancing and possibly drinking and being merry that you no longer care what your hair is doing.

& If you don’t normally like sticking products in your hair, this may have to be the exception if you do want a certain style to hold all day.

Bridal stylist or (possibly just an experienced hair doing friend?)would probably be able to put it in a thick pretty voluminous type plait that would help reduce some of the length for the sake of practicality & would be easy to decorate with sparkles or flowers or have enough interesting braid bits to just be left alone.

Have a quick look on google or pinterest for inspiration.

Would love some pics of whatever style you go for in the end!
Thank you very much for all of these tips and ideas. I really appreciate it a lot! I haven't even thought of a lot of those things, so it is solid advice! :flower: I most likely won't be able to sit down with her until next time she visits my brother (she lives a few hours away), but hopefully then. I really like the idea of flowers in the hair, that sounds so lovely. If I am able to, I will ask her some of those questions. :)

That would definitely be my biggest worry as well with having a hairstyle that might fall apart too easily or become messy during the event! Really don't want that happening!! I'll try to make sure it is something that my hair will keep together with.

I'll have to start looking up Pinterest ideas! Haven't been using that enough lately! Thank you!!

I will try to remember to share pics if I am able to get any. :D

Google APOSTALIC hairstyles. Those girls have ultra long hair and super awesome updos and curl hold... dainty jewels .com is a clothing site full of long hair styles on their models for their pretty clothes (bridesmaid and every day wear!) I'm not affiliated with them, I just buy their stuff haha one time my son was looking over my shoulder while I browsed their website and commented on how nice this one girls hair was. It was beyond classic, but curled to perfection. He's only ten, so yea if he noticed... It's amazing haha
Oh, Apostolic hairstyles!! It has been a long time since I looked up those hair type of tutorials, thank you for this idea! I will definitely look this up! Wow, that is so cool! I will have to look into that too! Thank you once again!! :)