PDA

View Full Version : Advice?

dollhair
May 28th, 2017, 12:00 PM
I love having light blonde hair but since I've began seriously growing out my hair for the last 3 years I've tried to give up the dye and I've managed to switch to this spray by John Frieda that lightens my hair almost as much as the dye. However this spray is obviously damaging as it contains hydrogen peroxide. So I want to grow out my natural blonde colour which is a kind of dirty blonde. I dont want there to be a obvious mark between the dyed hair and my natural hair so I've been very lightly spraying the very obvious parts every few months. My mom says that my roots are growing in quite a bit darker and that it doesn't transition well enough. I'm torn on what to do, I feel that maybe my natural hair will look better once summer comes and I get some natural highlights. What do you all think? Are my roots transitioning well or are they very obvious? And have you any tips to help the transition? Here are some pictures of my roots at the moment.
https://s20.postimg.org/ikvg1ixi5/IMG_4379_1.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/4r73ch4wp/)
https://s20.postimg.org/on32s0ly5/IMG_4213_1.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/ateq2ytcp/)

Obsidian
May 28th, 2017, 12:04 PM
I don't think the transition is bad at all, looks like a natural ombre.

My daughter has similar colored hair to yours and she is also going bleach free. She is planning to go to the salon and have her natural color pulled down some to blend into the lighter ends.

nekosan
May 28th, 2017, 12:05 PM
Personally, I think your hair looks gorgeous and natural. I see no harsh demarcation line. I say just keep growing as-is!

Andthetalltrees
May 28th, 2017, 12:07 PM
I think your hair looks beautiful and it doesn't bother me at all. My hair is naturally dark blonde and tends to look darker at the roots then even a few inches lower with a random color variation throughout and I've never dyed my hair.

FennFire911
May 28th, 2017, 12:12 PM
Natural blondes can tend to be darker at the roots anyway, and I don't see an obvious line. It looks perfectly natural to me, I like. It.

dollhair
May 28th, 2017, 12:19 PM
I don't think the transition is bad at all, looks like a natural ombre.

My daughter has similar colored hair to yours and she is also going bleach free. She is planning to go to the salon and have her natural color pulled down some to blend into the lighter ends.
I was thinking about doing something like this but all the salons around me get too excited to cut when they see long hair come in the door! I hope this works out well for your daughter I bet it will look really pretty :)

Personally, I think your hair looks gorgeous and natural. I see no harsh demarcation line. I say just keep growing as-is!
Thank you so much! I'm really trying to go for that natural ombre look.

I think your hair looks beautiful and it doesn't bother me at all. My hair is naturally dark blonde and tends to look darker at the roots then even a few inches lower with a random color variation throughout and I've never dyed my hair.
Thank you! I think that along with my roots looking very dark around wash day is what is discouraging me the most.

Thank you all for your input I think I just need to stick it out for a few more months and ignore my mom lol.

MoonRabbit
May 28th, 2017, 12:20 PM
Looks very beautiful to me. Isn't root shadow really in right now?

Anje
May 28th, 2017, 12:30 PM
Natural blond is typically darker at the roots and lightens with UV exposure over the years. It looks very normal to me, and not dyed.

Serimel
May 28th, 2017, 12:35 PM
Agree with everyone above. Beautiful soft ombre, looks really natural.

dollhair
May 28th, 2017, 12:51 PM
Natural blondes can tend to be darker at the roots anyway, and I don't see an obvious line. It looks perfectly natural to me, I like. It.

Looks very beautiful to me. Isn't root shadow really in right now?

Natural blond is typically darker at the roots and lightens with UV exposure over the years. It looks very normal to me, and not dyed.

Agree with everyone above. Beautiful soft ombre, looks really natural.

Thank you all so much for your input! I feel much better about it now:) I think I'm just too used to seeing my hair all one colour and to me it looked really dark and obvious. I'll keep away from the dye and the spray and keep persevering

reilly0167
May 28th, 2017, 01:04 PM
Leave it the way it is. Its naturally lovely.

Suze
May 28th, 2017, 01:07 PM
It looks very natural to me. Very pretty hair too. Lovely updo too!

lapushka
May 28th, 2017, 01:43 PM
I think it's a nice transition, as nice as you can expect. I'd stop spraying the spray, slowly but surely. It's not with an obvious line of demarcation, so you can be happy about that!!! That is really difficult to grow out.

It looks *great*. Don't worry so much about it! :flower:

meteor
May 28th, 2017, 02:08 PM

Definitely. :agree: Plus, there is normally more oil at the roots anyway, and it's more visible on lighter hair, so blondes do typically have visibly darker roots, especially when you compare and contrast them by bringing the ends close to the roots.

Your transition is very natural-looking and beautiful, and since your goal is knee length anyway, I'd highly recommend going off all peroxide products, including that lightening spray, since damage is cumulative and the longer the hair, the higher the risk that it will really catch up after a few years.

Kellylee
May 28th, 2017, 02:12 PM
I love your darker roots! They look very stylish! Just wait till the end of summer and it will look even better because of your hair naturally lighting. The blend will be even better and it will have a middle transition color.

MidnightMoon
May 28th, 2017, 02:24 PM
Looks fine to me. Yes, it's not the most subtle transition of them all, and I'd guess it's bleached, unless for some reason you spent a ridiculous amount of time sitting in the sun for weeks, but it's about one of the best possible scenarios when giving up dye or bleach: it's not too far from your colour, it's not brassy, it's not a straight line right across... I wish I had such an easy one!
Definitely keep it the way it is and just take care of it, and forget about it. Doesn't look bat at all.

wispe
May 28th, 2017, 02:55 PM
The transition you have going on looks amazing; I wouldn't change a thing. I think you're probably right that it'll highlight/blend out naturally come summer. Plus blondes very often have darker roots and it's totally natural, and everybody is out there getting balayage and ombres done to mimic that sort of naturally-highlighted look anyway. I'd just rock the slightly rooted look (which is very in right now, luckily!) and keep additional spray lightener to a minimum or none while you get through the summer season. Looking at it, you may not even need any additional blending at that point. Count me jealous (I'm growing my blonde out the harsh-line-of-demarcation and awkward-stages way, lol)

p.s. love your updos! That crown is gorgeous.

Katia_k
May 28th, 2017, 02:58 PM
I might have a slightly biased view, but moms can either be best allies to hair journey, or worst. So when it feels necessary, just ignore the advice. *caveat of "I might have issues*

MotherofJames
May 28th, 2017, 03:06 PM
It's so pretty! It will be fine :) you will always have lighter hair , it looks like. It's not like you have super dark roots where it looks drastic . It's light and will look great ! Plus, you can try honey and other natural lighteners with the sun instead of hydrogen peroxide to achieve a similar look . I think your natural color is beautiful !

ExpectoPatronum
May 28th, 2017, 03:06 PM
Like everyone else, I agree that your hair looks fine. I also agree that the sun will probably help the transition. But really, your hair looks great as is :)

wispe
May 28th, 2017, 03:12 PM
I might have a slightly biased view, but moms can either be best allies to hair journey, or worst. So when it feels necessary, just ignore the advice. *caveat of "I might have issues*

Oh yes, this as well. My mom kept reminding me that I needed to do my roots starting at the 2 month mark, despite me having explained my plan to grow the bleach out cold-turkey until it reached an ombre look (and her full support of that fact). She loves it now, but it was kind of disheartening to hear right when I was starting to feel the most awkward about how it looked. She regularly dyes her own hair though (or, she has me do it for her) so she's biased with how she feels about roots showing. Moms tend to have their own ideas about what they prefer us to look like and do with our hair, even when they want to be supportive. Sometimes comments while you grow it out can be tough, but keep on and don't get discouraged; it'll turn out fine.

PixieP
May 28th, 2017, 06:23 PM
My husband has a natural mid blonde, and his hair (about shoulder length) looked exactly like yours in march/april. Last year's natural sun highlights with a winters worth of new growth. Your hair is STUNNING and looks completely natural and beautiful:)

Ligeia Noire
May 28th, 2017, 06:37 PM
Can we all take a moment to appreciate those ends?

:thud:

Deborah
May 28th, 2017, 10:24 PM
Your hair looks great. I think you can stop the spray and just let it grow in naturally now.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 29th, 2017, 01:44 AM
Your hair looks absolutely stunning just the way it is. Don't change it! :thudpile:

Kat-Rinnč Naido
May 29th, 2017, 02:11 AM
Your hair looks gorgeous with the new growth blending in.

dollhair
May 29th, 2017, 02:44 PM
Everyone here is so nice I love this community so much! Thank you all for your honesty it really helps seeing things from other peoples perspectives. I will listen to you all as it is very true that Moms aren't the best when it comes to supporting hair journeys lol. I'm excited to let my natural colour come out and embrace what I have. Thank you all again<3

Cherriezzzzz
May 29th, 2017, 02:49 PM
I love your hair. It doesn't look "very damaged" at ALL to me. Just because it's coloured doesn't mean it's automatically damaged. It is possible to keep up your roots (which isn't necessary bc ur hair is awesome LoL) without dying your ends over and over. Even a few highlights on the top would go a long way.

Andthetalltrees
May 29th, 2017, 03:08 PM
Everyone here is so nice I love this community so much! Thank you all for your honesty it really helps seeing things from other peoples perspectives. I will listen to you all as it is very true that Moms aren't the best when it comes to supporting hair journeys lol. I'm excited to let my natural colour come out and embrace what I have. Thank you all again<3

I think accepting our natural colours can sometimes be hard for people close to us too, they get used to seeing someone some way and then they change I suppose. My grandma didn't like when my aunt started dying her hair a different colour.

lottiealice
May 29th, 2017, 03:45 PM
Your hair is gorgeous (I'm jealous!), the transition doesn't look harsh at all.