PDA

View Full Version : How to grow up Ankle Length​ hair?

Cassandre Brave
May 25th, 2017, 04:51 PM
I'm sorry to open this topic, but... I'm new here, and I haven't seen any topic which explains how to reach this lenght... =/

I'm trying to grow up my hair to ankle, however, when it's around waist lenght, my hair are translucid, have split ends, even with a horn-comb (& sleeping with silk cap) I have often unexpected tangles poping around there all of a suddent... After combing them from the ends to the roots. I don't know what's wrong with my routine... Or eventually with my genes.

I cut them every 3 or 5 months, depending on the spare time I have. Then I cauterize them at the ends only. (So the cut part will not split again.)
I wash them only once a week with a shampoo (powders or organic shampoo). When I think to do it, I coil my hair with coconut milk & some organic oils (lenghts & ends).
One month out of 2, I massage my scalp each morning & each evening. I always comb my hair with my horn-comb or with my "santal"-wood-comb. (This is not the threatened variety of santal, I swear!)
In order to avoid alopecia, I make a bun only once per week (2 max), and no more 6/8 hours. (After I suffer from headaches.)
And so as to avoid breakages, I make braids almost every day with satin ribbons, and at night, I let them down, and put them in one of my silk cap.
I do the "Reversion Method" 5 weeks out of 8, often without oils on the scalp. http://fr.wikihow.com/utiliser-la-m%C3%A9thode-de-l%27inversion-pour-faire-pousser-vos-cheveux

Once or twice every year, I'm using this type of method: the "Brûlage à l'ancienne" (I'm sorry, I still don't know what's the english name of this method).;)
http://getgreenordietrying.com/le-brulage-a-lancienne/
A lot of French people talk about it on the Internet, and seems so rejoiced by these results! I tried it, but I know that if I exceed the "once/twice per year", my hair will me incredibely dull, translucid... Awful. Really worse than now. However I tried it and I think it's good. (I spare some time in this way, unlike with the classic S&D.) However, I never use iron, plastic scrunchies, and any hair objects which could break too fast and easily my hair.
I sleep around 8 hours min per night, eat a bit anything (organic vegetables, fish & meat (not in excess!), cheese & co, plenty of water), I do my best to reduce stress, do some sport...

It's true that I changed some habits recently (I banned silicons & SLS on the beginning of year 2017, started one or two months ago to sleep with a silk cap)... So maybe it's to recent for myself to see if something is working or not on myself...

So I was wondering... Is there anything wrong in my routine? Or do I have yet my terminal length? O_o
If you have super-long hair, what's your routine to maintain this lenght? (And how you did to get this result?) What's your advices?
Thank you so much for your answers, your patience and your kindness! :D:blossom:

Note: If you need to see my hair down & clean, there are no problem, I will take a picture of it on a sunny day.

lapushka
May 25th, 2017, 04:56 PM
I would stop burning the ends of your hair. That's the first thing I would leave out to see if there's a marked improvement in the wear of the hair.

Aredhel
May 25th, 2017, 05:06 PM
You burn your hair????:shocked: Omg I second Lapushka. Definitely go easy on the heat, since you've said that it makes your hair translucent... it's burning through your cuticles.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 25th, 2017, 05:11 PM
Stop burning your hair, for a start... that can only cause damage.

PixieP
May 25th, 2017, 05:17 PM
Why do you burn your hair! You might "save time" compared to S&D, but you loose a LOT of ends, you severely damage the hair with that heat, and it's no wonder your ends are translucent, because you keep thinning them. You have to stop both the burning of the ends and the cauterizing! Get the heat and fire away from your hair!

You will not get traction alopecia from bunning more often. There are several members here, some of those with the longest hair, that buns every single day. If you always bun SUPER TIGHT in exactly the same spot for hours a day over a very long period of time, maybe (ballerinas can suffer from this, you have to remember they also have a lot of sentrifual force on the hair because of the way they dance too). But a good bun secured with sticks or a fork will not give you traction alopecia.

Also there is nothing wrong with silicone or SLS. I use both, and my hair is longer than yours, so that shows there is no problem growing long with them. I had super translucent ends last year, but after starting to take proper care of my hair my hair has thickened up and grown a lot (I cut from hip to waist to get rid of most of the damage and now I am back at hip).

If your problem with tangles has come after new year, it's likely because of the lack of silicone. Silicone gives the hair slip, makes it more tangle-resistent. My hair without silicone is a mass of tangles. I also use a vinegar rinse at the end of my wash to reduce tangles even more. I detangle with my fingers and then brush with a Tangle Teaser.

You need to stop burning off your hair, and start babying it if you want a chance at growing it longer. Give it moisture and protein, deep treatments, wear it up more, and s&d every so often (or you might want to consider a bigger chop to get rid of the worst ends entierly).

nekosan
May 25th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Not to be a downer, but it may not be genetically possible for you to grow hair that long. Mine stops just before classic. (I've been growing it for over 40 years; yes I do take good care of it, but my individual hairs stop and shed after 2-5 years, and that's just the way my hair is.)

Corvana
May 25th, 2017, 08:37 PM
I agree with the rest to try stopping the cauterizing first. If you get rid of all heat tools, but then put a literal flame to your hair, then you may as well be straightening it every day. Think of it like... You're allergic to say, wool, so you no longer wear wool clothing, but you have a pet sheep. The sheep will still have the wool, and that will still trigger the allergy.

Cauterizing your hair is still applying heat to it, and will damage it the same as using a straightener or curler every day.

JillRenee
May 25th, 2017, 08:39 PM
I agree you should stop burning your hair, it sounds slightly dangerous to me.

Cassandre Brave
May 26th, 2017, 05:35 AM
Well... You know... I understand that this method is looking... Shocking and barbaric for some people. However... My hair aren't 100% transclucid at the ends. (And please, stop judging me as if I were a pure witch/evil who doesn't know how to respect her own body! That's nasty! =/)
It doesn't look especially unhealthy... You know, english is not my native tongue, so I still have problems with subtleties. (And sometimes I had to search on the Internet the english equivalent of a word/idiom. Sometimes, even in my native tongue I cannot express myself, as I don't know how to explain it.)
I was wondering if it was normal or not to see my ends thinner than my hair around the neck... And if every long-haired people has this same hair thinning around waist.
And since I banned SLS and silicons, maybe it's looking less shiny and all, but... Honestly, I really feel them more healthy, and at least I will not feel guilty to reject toxic garbage which cannot be filtred at wastewater treatment plant.

Well, I took some photos, this morning. I will prove that this method isn't the worst, and is a method like any other one: it depends on how you do it and how many time.
Pict1: my hair when not combed. Messy undulations, as usual. https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/18/75/65/61/d_26_m11.jpg
Pict2: my hair combed with my horn comb. It looks straight, I swear that it do that everytime I comb my hair. https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/18/75/65/61/d_26_m10.jpg

The last time I did my "brûlage à l'ancienne", it was in September 2016, and not even 1 or 2 days after my regular moisturizing care (water, milk & oil, applyied step by step, repeated every day without washing them), it was as soft as before, and not that greasy (hair absorb everything). A lot of splits ends burned, however it's a powerfull method as splits ends are cauterized, that is to say that hair are unable to split at the same place ever again. Plus, it depends on the size of rolled hair: you burn more hair with thin rolled hair than with thick rolled hair. That is to say, if you burn thin rolled hair, you take more risks to see your hair thinner (in a drastic way) to the ends. I use this method almost since 3 years, and I know that I'm talking about: if you exceed/don't respect the rule of: "Not too thin rolled hair, no more than 1-3 per year, moizturise hair with a complete care right after it", well... They will looks terrible for sure. I did this experiment, and it shows clearly that every thing could be good, not at all in excess.

In France, one hair salon opened and there you can get a professionnal "brûlage à l'ancienne". Maybe you understand now that it couldn't be the worst idea ever: every clients are really satisfied when they do it, glad when they see the result, even 6 months after! And some classic hairdressers could cut your hair with hot scissors to cauterize the ends, if you just want to have a smooth and regular cut.
Plus, these methods (at least "brûlage à l'ancienne") were practized a lot in Victorian time, in France & Europe (inspired by a Brazilian habit), if I remember well.
In my case, I have to do it all by myself (to spare money, as I'm a student and money isn't given by a god or anything else). I never ever had issues, as I'm taking precautions (I always have a big recipe full of water next to me, so I could pour water on my head if I ever have an accident.)

As you seems disapproving this, I conclude that it may be a sort of ethical issue. You know, in some civilisations, even cutting a bit of your hair, like splits ends, it was seen as a barbaric thing, and people of this time told to these "outsider/alien" that (s)he has lost all of his/her beauty. Or dying hair: some civilizations thinks you're a monster (or a god(ness), it depends) after dying your hair.
To resume, all is relative: a practize is seen as "good" in a society, and "evil" in an other one. And no habits should be estimated as superior to another one, to my eyes. ;)
After, I understand that this method seems scary at first sight... However, in my opinion, I think it's worth it if you are well-prepared, confident for that, otherwise you can ask someone you trust in to do it for you (if you want so badly to try it).

Here (in French), a lot of people saying only good things about it, maybe you may take a look: http://jardinamayan.blogspot.fr/2011/01/brulage-des-fourches-premier-chapitre.html
http://www.maviesanscruaute.fr/le-brulage-a-lancienne/ , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFHjrz_e0pQ , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLLti2iwbys
You can check it on your navigator, a lot of people who tried it adopted this method definitely.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Now, I will talk about a really serious subject, that a lot of people seems to neglect there (I noticed it since I registered there, and I wanted to warn you about these dangers).

Did you know that silicons are stifling your hair, that is to say that until you use again agressive shampoos (with SLS), your hair are like waterproof (and sometimes even after an SLS shampoo, it doesn't leave)? This means that masks you apply after this are useless: it cannot penetrate this mineral gate. Then, as hair cannot "breath" (cuticules are blocked), the splits ends aren't healed... And it continues to increase, and you're unable to notice it if you still use silicons. ( http://coveteur.com/2016/12/27/silicone-hair-products/ ) In a nutshell, this healthy look is only a pure lie, made by industrials so they can earn more money as we "need" it to keep these "beautiful locks". The truth is that we doesn't truly need it, and as they cannot stand being denounced, they made greenwashing, and even greenbashing, to (re)attrack some consumers.

As you may know, silicons and co are scandalous -in my opinion- as it is too responsible of this mass killing and intoxication: every marine animals are suffering first, but as we reuse water, we are too intoxicated by these silicons (not filtrered by wastewater treatment plant)... And SLS are hightly suspected to be: carcinogenic, endocrine disruptor and skin irritant. These are great danger for environment and for our safety. I'm working on sensitization on the Internet, and I'm petrified that people clearly underestimate/ignore that their hair shampoo/conditionner and co are poisonous as well for themselves and for the environment.
I will take the case of the Johnson's shampoos: the composition of these products were (and may be still) a powerfull: carcionogenic, neurotoxic, and damage severely liver, kidneys, ovaries/testicles. However, don't be blind: EVERY industrial are lying and expose our lifes to terrible diseases caused by these products. (Yves Rocher, l'Occitane, Sephora, and so much more...)

I just wanted to warn the users of silicons and SLS, who supposed that these are innofensive and even benefic for them... You can accept it or not, I will not judge you whatever your answer will be. Younger, I was completely cheated (and deceived) by SLS and silicons, abused by dishonnest industrials. Even a good doctor could be victim of this manipulation (I see it still now in my relatives), because of the composition hidden on the packaging, written in a really too little police, and in scientific language. I admit that before I saw silicons as the miracle of technology... Until I searched for days informations on the Internet and concluded that it's one of the numerous worse thing we ever created. (It takes 400-500 years to silicon to decompose in nature...)

If you are curious, then you can check your hair's products composition on the INCI's website: http://laveritesurlescosmetiques.com/recherche-inci.php

Thank you so much for your attention. ^^ I did not want to offense you in any way, or being disrespectful, however I thought that it wouldn't have been honest at all to do not answer in a spontaneous way, or showing my disapproval.
That's why I wrote so much about "Brûlage à l'anciennce" and cauterization, as I saw more fear than anything else. I wanted to reassure about it and underline that a lot of people are using it in France and have no issues with it, and are even fine with it.
(For example, Mini's hair: she was using a lot this method and her hair were so wonderful! Unfortunately her website, FB, Twitter, and some videos on her channel were deleted, probably as lobbies made too much pression on her. She was well-known, admired by so much people, and so determined to show us a path to a healthier way of life, that it couldn't be possible that she closed it by herself.)

And about the part of silicon... That's because I'm truly worried for the future, I have to admit it. =( I don't want to see this drama repeated over and over again... Honestly I would do my best to protect everyone's health, and even if I'm not a doctor, I know a lot of things even so.

Thank you a lot for your answers. ^^ That's maybe because I have yet my terminal lenght, or/and not moizturise my hair enough in my everyday life. It could be the answer.
:blossom: Cassandre ~♪

lapushka
May 26th, 2017, 05:59 AM
Well... You know... I understand that this method is looking... Shocking and barbaric for some people. However... My hair aren't 100% transclucid at the ends. (And please, stop judging me as if I were a pure witch/evil who doesn't know how to respect her own body! That's nasty! =/)
It doesn't look especially unhealthy... You know, english is not my native tongue, so I still have problems with subtleties. (And sometimes I had to search on the Internet the english equivalent of a word/idiom. Sometimes, even in my native tongue I cannot express myself, as I don't know how to explain it.)

Well nobody accused you, if that's what you mean. It's just not a good idea to burn and put a flame to the hair, but if you don't want the advice, that's all up to you. :flower:

Sulfates and silicones is also a very individual thing - they aren't necessarily bad. It's a YMMV (your mileage may vary) thing. People agree to that on this site. It is a very individual thing, so if you don't want to use these, that is fine, but do leave the rest (choice) up to other people. :) I am a big user of sulfates and silicones. Last year I had classic+ length hair, so it doesn't mean a thing for growth (it won't stunt it, if that's what you mean). I cut back to hip last November. My hair is hip+ length now and doing *great*. I love my sulfates and silicones and wouldn't know where I'd be without them.

Cherriezzzzz
May 26th, 2017, 07:04 AM
Thick, course hair "needs" often times these silicones and such.... I know I do. Your hair is neither, so yes, for your hair they would be bad. My hair flourished with coconut oil... But not everyone's does. And lastly, burning your hair... your ends do not LOOK burnt to me. I'm hoping that word was a translation issue, but it appears not:rolleyes: I image the smell can alone tell you it's a poor practice FOR GROWING and PROTECTION of wanting ankle length hair. It damages the ends, period. Damaged hair ends cause splits that unravel your hair strands like a rope, thus causing thinner ends. Many people on LHC reject ALL forms of heat: blowdryers, straighening and curling irons, etc so it's not an ethical issue. It is a method of not using heat on your hair for best health of all hair. And healthy hair grows the longest :)

Aredhel
May 26th, 2017, 08:24 AM
All I can say is you've asked us for our input and advice and many of us have given it.:) I feel like the condition of our hair can vouch for us. It's now up to you whether or not you'd like to accept our advice. If you truly believe that burning your hair is something you need to do, then who are we to say otherwise.:shrug:

I used silicones even when my hair was healthy and undamaged because it helped give my fine tangly hair slip. It was not masking any damage. I use sulfates because I have an oily scalp and am prone to buildup. As Lapushka said, YMMV.:flower:

Ondine11
May 26th, 2017, 09:03 AM
[QUOTE=Cassandre Brave;3412314]Well... You know... I understand that this method is looking... Shocking and barbaric for some people. However... My hair aren't 100% transclucid at the ends. (And please, stop judging me as if I were a pure witch/evil who doesn't know how to respect her own body! That's nasty! =/)
I was wondering if it was normal or not to see my ends thinner than my hair around the neck... And if every long-haired people has this same hair thinning around waist.
And since I banned SLS and silicons, maybe it's looking less shiny and all, but... Honestly, I really feel them more healthy, and at least I will not feel guilty to reject toxic garbage which cannot be filtred at wastewater treatment plant.

The last time I did my "brûlage à l'ancienne", it was in September 2016, and not even 1 or 2 days after my regular moisturizing care (water, milk & oil, applyied step by step, repeated every day without washing them), it was as soft as before, and not that greasy (hair absorb everything). A lot of splits ends burned, however it's a powerfull method as splits ends are cauterized, that is to say that hair are unable to split at the same place ever again. Plus, it depends on the size of rolled hair: you burn more hair with thin rolled hair than with thick rolled hair. That is to say, if you burn thin rolled hair, you take more risks to see your hair thinner (in a drastic way) to the ends. I use this method almost since 3 years, and I know that I'm talking about: if you exceed/don't respect the rule of: "Not too thin rolled hair, no more than 1-3 per year, moizturise hair with a complete care right after it", well... They will looks terrible for sure. I did this experiment, and it shows clearly that every thing could be good, not at all in excess.

In France, one hair salon opened and there you can get a professionnal "brûlage à l'ancienne". Maybe you understand now that it couldn't be the worst idea ever: every clients are really satisfied when they do it, glad when they see the result, even 6 months after! And some classic hairdressers could cut your hair with hot scissors to cauterize the ends, if you just want to have a smooth and regular cut.
Plus, these methods (at least "brûlage à l'ancienne") were practized a lot in Victorian time, in France & Europe (inspired by a Brazilian habit), if I remember well.
In my case, I have to do it all by myself (to spare money, as I'm a student and money isn't given by a god or anything else). I never ever had issues, as I'm taking precautions (I always have a big recipe full of water next to me, so I could pour water on my head if I ever have an accident.)

As you seems disapproving this, I conclude that it may be a sort of ethical issue. You know, in some civilisations, even cutting a bit of your hair, like splits ends, it was seen as a barbaric thing, and people of this time told to these "outsider/alien" that (s)he has lost all of his/her beauty. Or dying hair: some civilizations thinks you're a monster (or a god(ness), it depends) after dying your hair.
To resume, all is relative: a practize is seen as "good" in a society, and "evil" in an other one. And no habits should be estimated as superior to another one, to my eyes. ;)
After, I understand that this method seems scary at first sight... However, in my opinion, I think it's worth it if you are well-prepared, confident for that, otherwise you can ask someone you trust in to do it for you (if you want so badly to try it).

Here (in French), a lot of people saying only good things about it, maybe you may take a look: http://jardinamayan.blogspot.fr/2011/01/brulage-des-fourches-premier-chapitre.html
http://www.maviesanscruaute.fr/le-brulage-a-lancienne/ , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFHjrz_e0pQ , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLLti2iwbys
You can check it on your navigator, a lot of people who tried it adopted this method definitely.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Now, I will talk about a really serious subject, that a lot of people seems to neglect there (I noticed it since I registered there, and I wanted to warn you about these dangers).

Did you know that silicons are stifling your hair, that is to say that until you use again agressive shampoos (with SLS), your hair are like waterproof (and sometimes even after an SLS shampoo, it doesn't leave)? This means that masks you apply after this are useless: it cannot penetrate this mineral gate. Then, as hair cannot "breath" (cuticules are blocked), the splits ends aren't healed... And it continues to increase, and you're unable to notice it if you still use silicons. ( http://coveteur.com/2016/12/27/silicone-hair-products/ ) In a nutshell, this healthy look is only a pure lie, made by industrials so they can earn more money as we "need" it to keep these "beautiful locks". The truth is that we doesn't truly need it, and as they cannot stand being denounced, they made greenwashing, and even greenbashing, to (re)attrack some consumers.

As you may know, silicons and co are scandalous -in my opinion- as it is too responsible of this mass killing and intoxication: every marine animals are suffering first, but as we reuse water, we are too intoxicated by these silicons (not filtrered by wastewater treatment plant)... And SLS are hightly suspected to be: carcinogenic, endocrine disruptor and skin irritant. These are great danger for environment and for our safety. I'm working on sensitization on the Internet, and I'm petrified that people clearly underestimate/ignore that their hair shampoo/conditionner and co are poisonous as well for themselves and for the environment.
I will take the case of the Johnson's shampoos: the composition of these products were (and may be still) a powerfull: carcionogenic, neurotoxic, and damage severely liver, kidneys, ovaries/testicles. However, don't be blind: EVERY industrial are lying and expose our lifes to terrible diseases caused by these products. (Yves Rocher, l'Occitane, Sephora, and so much more...)

I just wanted to warn the users of silicons and SLS, who supposed that these are innofensive and even benefic for them... You can accept it or not, I will not judge you whatever your answer will be. Younger, I was completely cheated (and deceived) by SLS and silicons, abused by dishonnest industrials. Even a good doctor could be victim of this manipulation (I see it still now in my relatives), because of the composition hidden on the packaging, written in a really too little police, and in scientific language. I admit that before I saw silicons as the miracle of technology... Until I searched for days informations on the Internet and concluded that it's one of the numerous worse thing we ever created. (It takes 400-500 years to silicon to decompose in nature...)

If you are curious, then you can check your hair's products composition on the INCI's website: http://laveritesurlescosmetiques.com/recherche-inci.php

Thank you so much for your attention. ^^ I did not want to offense you in any way, or being disrespectful, however I thought that it wouldn't have been honest at all to do not answer in a spontaneous way, or showing my disapproval.
That's why I wrote so much about "Brûlage à l'anciennce" and cauterization, as I saw more fear than anything else. I wanted to reassure about it and underline that a lot of people are using it in France and have no issues with it, and are even fine with it.
(For example, Mini's hair: she was using a lot this method and her hair were so wonderful! Unfortunately her website, FB, Twitter, and some videos on her channel were deleted, probably as lobbies made too much pression on her. She was well-known, admired by so much people, and so determined to show us a path to a healthier way of life, that it couldn't be possible that she closed it by herself.)

Bonjour et bienvenue, Cassandre! À titre de québecoise, I speak french, too & I understand the difficulty of understanding the subtleties of a second language. I am right in between both languages, so sometimes my French slips, & sometimes my English slips. Here, we call this speaking 'Franglais'. It is not unusual for those of us who attended strict French immersion programmes all day, then returned home to an English-speaking parents or friends.

Of course, I am familiar with the brûlage à l'ancienne technique, as many people here (as well as Acadians in The Maritimes) brought it with them from France. If you have very steady hands, it can work well, but, all too often, people bring their twisted mèche too close to their flame source & wind up burning off & severely damaging their hair. It is extremely risky. The one time I tried it with BSL hair, it left the ends VERY dry.

Please do not feel like anyone here is judging you, they were simply responding to your request for advice, & doing the best they could. As for silicones & sulfites, I avoid them both for the poor results on my hair, as well as their environmental impact. Others, here, find that these are the only products that work well with their hair, so, they are resigned to using them despite their environmental consequences.

En tout cas, welcome again, & I hope you like it here.

*Wednesday*
May 26th, 2017, 09:12 AM
I don’t think anyone has a problem with your subtitles. It is the practice of cauterizing the ends of your hair.
Women with ankle length hair didn’t get there by “burning” their ends. I’m sure a witch wouldn’t even do this unless it was a voodoo doll.

Cassandre Brave
May 26th, 2017, 09:22 AM
Well nobody accused you, if that's what you mean. It's just not a good idea to burn and put a flame to the hair, but if you don't want the advice, that's all up to you. :flower:

Sulfates and silicones is also a very individual thing - they aren't necessarily bad. It's a YMMV (your mileage may vary) thing. People agree to that on this site. It is a very individual thing, so if you don't want to use these, that is fine, but do leave the rest (choice) up to other people. :) I am a big user of sulfates and silicones. Last year I had classic+ length hair, so it doesn't mean a thing for growth (it won't stunt it, if that's what you mean). I cut back to hip last November. My hair is hip+ length now and doing *great*. I love my sulfates and silicones and wouldn't know where I'd be without them.

Okay. ^^ I have misinterpret every/some posts, that's possible. =/ This happens often: as I cannot really see what is the reaction of the writters, well... I misinterpret. As I had a lot of (personnal) issues as a child/teen, I'm always on the defensive since these accidents. Sorry! ^^' That's an old habit with which I can't get rid of, I guess that I will have to deal with it for my entire life. :shrug:

Thank you so much for the informations! =D I didn't know the expression YMMV, that's really interesting! ^^ Now I understand why this community present several different ways to take care of hair. =o
Well, I don't want to force people to change their hair routine (do this is quite immoral). =c I simply wanted to make sure that people are aware of these issues, that's all. ^^ (Because a lot of people uses it without knowing the risks, so... That's why I decided to talk about it.) After, everyone choose what (s)he likes best, I respect everyone's choices. ;)

Waw, you have hip (classic?) length hair, lapushka? =o That's amazing! =D
Can you remember how much time it took to you to pass from waist length hair to hip (classic?) length hair? Is it normal that around waist length, it start to be thinner (and harder to grow)?
Do you think that my hair are healthy at this moment? ( https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/18/75/65/61/d_26_m11.jpg & https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/18/75/65/61/d_26_m10.jpg )
I cut around 10 cm (Jan 2016) with cauterization at the ends, so as to get more thickness, and I haven't cut anything since (or used again "brûlage à l'ancienne"), but I don't know if I will have to cut once again, soon (on the following days).
What do you think about it? =o

Thick, course hair "needs" often times these silicones and such.... I know I do. Your hair is neither, so yes, for your hair they would be bad. My hair flourished with coconut oil... But not everyone's does. And lastly, burning your hair... your ends do not LOOK burnt to me. I'm hoping that word was a translation issue, but it appears not:rolleyes: I image the smell can alone tell you it's a poor practice FOR GROWING and PROTECTION of wanting ankle length hair. It damages the ends, period. Damaged hair ends cause splits that unravel your hair strands like a rope, thus causing thinner ends. Many people on LHC reject ALL forms of heat: blowdryers, straighening and curling irons, etc so it's not an ethical issue. It is a method of not using heat on your hair for best health of all hair. And healthy hair grows the longest :)

I understand that you mean: some products are appropriate for some people, and the same products are inappropriate for some other people. ^^
Well... This is not a translation issue at all. I really process like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXqMoj6GvPY . Sometimes I cut it in the traditionnal way and after I cauterize the ends only, so as to get a better cut.
(The only difference is that I'm more gentle compared to the man/woman on this video: I pass the flame 1 cm around the spiral of hair, and hair which are poping out are automatically burned by heat (unlike in the display, where the flame touch directly the hair). These hair don't burn completely as the spiral stop the process. The spiral doesn't contain oxygen (too tight), so the flame heat the hair, and that's why conditionner is really important after that, but the splits ends are burned, no more. If you do it properly, you have no damage at all.)
Well, I know that LHC reject every form of heating on hair... However, it's the same story that silicons, I think: appropriate for some, not for others. ^^' And depends on your needs.

However, as I don't do this too often, my hair doesn't seems bad: some days I do the traditionnal S&D. But once per year, I refresh by hair by chasing split ends with fire, and cauterize each new cut. ( http://www.maviesanscruaute.fr/le-brulage-a-lancienne/ ) So they don't suffer too bad from heat, I suppose.

All I can say is you've asked us for our input and advice and many of us have given it.:) I feel like the condition of our hair can vouch for us. It's now up to you whether or not you'd like to accept our advice. If you truly believe that burning your hair is something you need to do, then who are we to say otherwise.:shrug:

I used silicones even when my hair was healthy and undamaged because it helped give my fine tangly hair slip. It was not masking any damage. I use sulfates because I have an oily scalp and am prone to buildup. As Lapushka said, YMMV.:flower:

Yes, I understand what you mean. It's delicate for me to say that these methods ("burning") are the best: I know these are delicate, and do it too often truly damage hair. (Experienced it.) So... Yes, I like this method, but no more than once per year. Otherwise I know it could be really bad for my hair if I do it too often. =/
As Lapushka said, and I agree with you too, YMMV. :flower:

Bonjour et bienvenue, Cassandre! À titre de québecoise, I speak french, too & I understand the difficulty of understanding the subtleties of a second language. I am right in between both languages, so sometimes my French slips, & sometimes my English slips. Here, we call this speaking 'Franglais'. It is not unusual for those of us who attended strict French immersion programmes all day, then returned home to an English-speaking parents or friends.

Of course, I am familiar with the brûlage à l'ancienne technique, as many people here (as well as Acadians in The Maritimes) brought it with them from France. If you have very steady hands, it can work well, but, all too often, people bring their twisted mèche too close to their flame source & wind up burning off & severely damaging their hair. It is extremely risky. The one time I tried it with BSL hair, it left the ends VERY dry.

Please do not feel like anyone here is judging you, they were simply responding to your request for advice, & doing the best they could. As for silicones & sulfites, I avoid them both for the poor results on my hair, as well as their environmental impact. Others, here, find that these are the only products that work well with their hair, so, they are resigned to using them despite their environmental consequences.

En tout cas, welcome again, & I hope you like it here.

Oh, you too have this problem of "language-mixing"? =o I feel reassured that I'm not the only one here! ^^
I see that you mean. ^.^ Yes, my hands are quite steady, but after 15 min, my hands are shaking slightly: So I make a pause, eat a bit, drink... And after I continue this process. ^^ However I do my best to do it properly. I'm in a room where every windows are closed (no wind), and I try to do as much pauses as I could if I feel exhausted.
This method is extremely risky, I know it. ^^ The first time I did it, I was a little clumsy, however it's fine know, I understood how does it works.
Well, about this story of judgement, don't worry, it was a misunderstanding due to a misinterpretation.

Thank you so much for your welcome! =D Yes, I really like LHC! ^^

[Waw, you guys answer so fast! I try to answer to everyone, but... Well, I stop there, otherwise my answer will be too long, and it will take my entire day to post my answer! =c]

Alex Lou
May 26th, 2017, 09:40 AM
Pretty much everything you've said about silicone is bunk. Silicone does not pose a problem to water treatment plants, does not pose any known harm to wildlife, and breaks down readily.

http://www.dowcorning.com/content/publishedlit/01-1242.pdf

However, I understand that you are coming from the perspective of someone who has a belief rather than knowledge and I do not expect you to be open to changing your mind even when presented with facts.

I'm much more concerned about caffeine destroying coral reefs (because, you know, there's evidence):
https://www.envirotech-online.com/news/environmental-laboratory/7/breaking-news/caffeine-is-affecting-oceans-water-quality/4312

Prism
May 26th, 2017, 09:59 AM
Remember, what you're doing isn't working. You have to be open to change if you want to grow ankle-length hair. These are really good people here, and very knowledgeable. Many of them have extremely long hair, and they're speaking from personal experience.

MoonRabbit
May 26th, 2017, 10:10 AM
Well your ends do look very nice and healthy, but I don't understand the need to burn them after cutting off the splits. I imagine if you cut a rope then burned the end to keep the rope from splitting, over time, with daily handling and manipulation, the rope would inevitably split again. Same thing would happen with hair. Also not every single hair will split just from cutting it, most of the splits are caused by handling and environmental factors. You can't stop them forever since the older the ends are, the more likely they will come in contact with something damaging. Micro trimming or trimming when needed seems to be all that ends need to stay healthy. Burning just seems like an unnecessary extra step.

Shiranshoku
May 26th, 2017, 10:11 AM
I just wanted to add that silicones or not, there is no way to heal splits ends. So silicones nor sls don't block anything that could potentially heal them, once split the only way to get rid of the split end is to cut.

A hair strand also isn't like a vein or something, so cauterizing won't protect it from future splitting.

OP, your hair looks in fine shape to me. Your terminal length might be on the shorter side. Ankle length isn't a possibility for everyone. But I'd definitely try to skip the fire for a year to see if that changes anyhting. I'm pretty sure that most if not all people who have ankle length or longer here don't burn their hair, so it's most definitely not a prerequisite.

lapushka
May 26th, 2017, 10:12 AM
Okay. ^^ I have misinterpret every/some posts, that's possible. =/ This happens often: as I cannot really see what is the reaction of the writters, well... I misinterpret. As I had a lot of (personnal) issues as a child/teen, I'm always on the defensive since these accidents. Sorry! ^^' That's an old habit with which I can't get rid of, I guess that I will have to deal with it for my entire life. :shrug:

Thank you so much for the informations! =D I didn't know the expression YMMV, that's really interesting! ^^ Now I understand why this community present several different ways to take care of hair. =o
Well, I don't want to force people to change their hair routine (do this is quite immoral). =c I simply wanted to make sure that people are aware of these issues, that's all. ^^ (Because a lot of people uses it without knowing the risks, so... That's why I decided to talk about it.) After, everyone choose what (s)he likes best, I respect everyone's choices. ;)

Waw, you have hip (classic?) length hair, lapushka? =o That's amazing! =D
Can you remember how much time it took to you to pass from waist length hair to hip (classic?) length hair? Is it normal that around waist length, it start to be thinner (and harder to grow)?
Do you think that my hair are healthy at this moment? ( https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/18/75/65/61/d_26_m11.jpg & https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/18/75/65/61/d_26_m10.jpg )
I cut around 10 cm (Jan 2016) with cauterization at the ends, so as to get more thickness, and I haven't cut anything since (or used again "brûlage à l'ancienne"), but I don't know if I will have to cut once again, soon (on the following days).
What do you think about it? =o

I understand. It's quite OK! :flower:

Yep, I had classic for a little over a year, then cut back to hip. The best way to tell is to measure from your waist to classic on *you*. Then see how many cm or inches it is and then calculate knowing hair grows a little over a cm or about 1/2 inch a month.

Your hair looks fine to me, judging from the pictures. But I really would stop with the flame techniques, just to see if it makes a difference, and maybe it will be worth it. 10 cm is a lot to get cut. Maybe that's not even necessary to cut that much. If I look at your hair, you have a great hemline, there really is no need to cut it that much or often. And the rest you can keep up with S&D missions.

Chromis
May 26th, 2017, 10:41 AM
I do not use silicones or SLS in my hair and I would not burn my ends either. I have not managed ankle-length, only knee. Many of use wear our hair up daily and a lot of people have found that their hair suddenly was able to grow much longer by wearing it up, even a couple of people who had been here for years wearing it down. This is your choice, but it is a strong thing to consider if your hair will not grow past a certain point. There is likely something it is rubbing on that you do not notice, like chair backs. I love to use a fine comb only for making my hair neat, but it must not have any tangles at all, otherwise the hairs will break! I use a larger comb and my fingers first. Same thing with using boar bristle brushes. They are finishing tools.

There are pictures here showing what the burned ends look like under a microscope. There have been many threads about the method you are speaking of, which goes by other names in different countries. I think personally, the smoothness that you have after doing this is an illusion. Like silicones are for me. Then the hair looks worse later on.

littlestarface
May 26th, 2017, 10:56 AM
If you want ankle length then what you need is just to simply put it up and forget about it.

Now me I don't have ankle length but it is getting there slowly but surely. Don't dye it, don't use bleach, no heat, don't be rough with gentle combing, make sure nothing can break the hair off like a purse, a chair or jewelry etc. Braids and buns all the time and make sure you scalp is nice and healthy and your ends are properly moisturized so that your hair continues to grow.

akurah
May 26th, 2017, 12:50 PM
On split ends:

The name split end is a misnomer. Hair splits most commonly at the end, but it can (and does) split halfway up the hair length. As such, I am very skeptical about burning the ends protecting from split hair.

EssentialJo
May 26th, 2017, 12:58 PM
I remember having an English teacher in high school with knee length hair who also burned the ends with her trim routine. Agree that it's probably not a good idea but I've heard of it.

I don't have super long hair so please take with a grain of salt but when I get frustrated with slow growth, I think back to what I was doing during healthier successful growth times and try go back to what worked. And it does. You mentioned changing your routine/ingredients at the top of the year. Could that be it?

Groovy Granny
May 26th, 2017, 01:07 PM
TLC = NO BURNING :tmi:....and THIS :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-ciMuVhDXA

Alex Lou
May 26th, 2017, 01:08 PM
I have heard about burning the split ends off before, although I didn't know it was happening in France, I'd only heard about Brazil. It is appealing in a way because it is efficient at destroying the splits. But I assume it's more for fashionable hair: hair that's damaged from dye, bleach, and keratin treatments. Hair that is in rough shape, but is only going to be kept around BSL and the goal is pretty-looking hair rather than long.

On the other hand, if you want ankle length hair (assuming you have the genetics for your hair to grow that long) you will need to do everything possible to protect it. The choice is yours.

If you want ankle length then what you need is just to simply put it up and forget about it.
Best advice.

Anje
May 26th, 2017, 01:18 PM
Like the others, I'm not convinced that burning ends is likely to prevent future splits in that hair. I've seen the practice before, but it doesn't seem to be particularly common and many people grow very long hair (even hair that is split-prone) without resorting to such measures. Usually the better option is simply to use sharp hair scissors to snip the hair just above the split, and otherwise avoid trimming hair more than is necessary. Every bit of hair that you trim off is a setback; you may prefer it that way because it leads to thicker ends or prevents splits from accumulating at the very bottom hemline of your hair (which was not where mine tended to get splits), but it removes growth that you would otherwise keep.

My first thought from your description is that you need to start wearing your hair up in buns much more than you currently do. Very few people grow to the lengths that you want without wearing buns or at least braids most of the time. Containing the hair protects it from drying out, protects it from friction, and protects it from UV light. All these things contribute to hair breaking off rather than growing to its maximum length.

Yes, my hair tapered and was less thick at longer points than at my neck, but I was able to get it down to my fingertips and probably could have grown it longer. My hair is not thick, either, but taking care of it and protecting it by wearing it in buns and braids helped it a lot. Taper is normal, because not all the hairs on your head started growing at the same time. You shed some hairs and then start growing new ones to replace them -- those hairs take years to grow, so they contribute thickness only at the higher portions of your hair. This means that even the healthiest, most undamaged hair that could exist would still taper. How much taper you get varies from person to person and would have to do with the proportion of hairs that are shed and regrowing for that person (largely a matter of genetics, but many of us will tell you that some wash methods cause us less shedding than others, so using a method of washing and products that lead to the least shedding should hypothetically minimize the amount of taper one has, after many years).

From your pictures, I do not believe you are at terminal length, and with good care you should be able to grow your hair considerably longer. Pay attention to your scalp. SLS is generally not harmful in the concentrations in shampoo, but some people do better using products with it and other people do better avoiding it. As long as your scalp remains healthy, you can choose whatever products to wash your hair with that you wish.

Also, welcome to LHC! Your English is not bad, and this is an excellent place to practice it. :) We have many members who speak other languages first, so you are not alone in trying to use this forum in a second language.

lucid
May 26th, 2017, 01:45 PM
I don't get the methods that twist the hair, and then cut (or burn) of all the hair that pokes out. When I twist my hair, a lot of hairs pop out, but only a small amount of them are actually split or damaged - the rest are healthy, just shorter than the rest of my hair. I would end up cutting a lot of healthy hair, and it would drastically thin out my hair in the process.

Alex Lou
May 26th, 2017, 02:02 PM
I don't get the methods that twist the hair, and then cut (or burn) of all the hair that pokes out. When I twist my hair, a lot of hairs pop out, but only a small amount of them are actually split or damaged - the rest are healthy, just shorter than the rest of my hair. I would end up cutting a lot of healthy hair, and it would drastically thin out my hair in the process.

That's why it's efficient on over-processed hair: on those heads a higher percentage of hairs will be split. Sometimes I feel like all my hairs are split...

Aredhel
May 26th, 2017, 02:08 PM

Same here. Almost none of my regrowth has split ends.
No sense in cutting/burning it when it's likely not even split, otherwise none of it will ever grow out much longer than it is now IMHO.

Honestly Cassandre, back when I didn't even care about my hair (meaning, I wore it loose 100% of the time, washed my hair every single day with *gasp* cones + sulfates;)), I managed to grow it from waist to classic without trimming even once in almost 3 years. That was the healthiest my hair has ever been (once you reach 25 posts, you can even take a look at my albums... those pictures are dated from 2007-2010, I think). Trims are not always necessary. Sometimes less is more, when it comes to hair care... especially with fine/thin hair like ours. As they say, treat your hair like fine lace.:)

Cassandre Brave
May 26th, 2017, 03:03 PM
Well your ends do look very nice and healthy, but I don't understand the need to burn them after cutting off the splits. I imagine if you cut a rope then burned the end to keep the rope from splitting, over time, with daily handling and manipulation, the rope would inevitably split again. Same thing would happen with hair. Also not every single hair will split just from cutting it, most of the splits are caused by handling and environmental factors. You can't stop them forever since the older the ends are, the more likely they will come in contact with something damaging. Micro trimming or trimming when needed seems to be all that ends need to stay healthy. Burning just seems like an unnecessary extra step.
Thank you. ^^ Well... I wanted to experiment, three years ago, two method: the S&D and "Brûlage à l'ancienne". With the S&D I feel secure, but it's so long... Plus I have to do it when I can... With my studies, it's nearly impossible to do this (I had a bad level at school, and in order to be better, I was hard-working: it worked). I have to admit that sometimes, I snip 2 or 10 splits ends in two months! It wasn't enough at all to get ride of these. So I decided to try the second method: I had to prepare myself psychologically for months, prepare everything I will need at this moment... And then I tried fire. I was charmed as it worked very well on myself. I just have to do it at home, when nobody is here, and I do it peacefully. After I make sure that the room doesn't smell anymore grilled pig.

About cauterizing my cut, it's simple: I noticed that when I cut my hair (in the classic way), they will systematically give a lot of splits ends... Always. I had engough of this situation, so since the year 2016, I decided that after every cut, I cauterize my hair. ^^ I saw only benefits from these three methods. However, it's true that I should try to stop the fire's method to see the result in one year. ;)

To protect them, I braid them for day, and let them down in a silk cap at night, to avoid breakages due to a too tight plait.

I just wanted to add that silicones or not, there is no way to heal splits ends. So silicones nor sls don't block anything that could potentially heal them, once split the only way to get rid of the split end is to cut.

A hair strand also isn't like a vein or something, so cauterizing won't protect it from future splitting.

OP, your hair looks in fine shape to me. Your terminal length might be on the shorter side. Ankle length isn't a possibility for everyone. But I'd definitely try to skip the fire for a year to see if that changes anyhting. I'm pretty sure that most if not all people who have ankle length or longer here don't burn their hair, so it's most definitely not a prerequisite.

Yes, I know that splits ends must be cut. I know that when you cauterize the end of a hair, it could still split, but not where it was cauterize: the hair is splitting above the cauterized point, I don't know how to explain this phenomen. I observed it carefully since I experimented this method. To say the truth, I strongly doubt that my genes will allow me to have ankle length hair, however, if I could get them at least at hip or classic length, it would be just perfect. But, yes, I should try to grow it up without using fire, you're right. ;)

I understand. It's quite OK! :flower:

Yep, I had classic for a little over a year, then cut back to hip. The best way to tell is to measure from your waist to classic on *you*. Then see how many cm or inches it is and then calculate knowing hair grows a little over a cm or about 1/2 inch a month.

Your hair looks fine to me, judging from the pictures. But I really would stop with the flame techniques, just to see if it makes a difference, and maybe it will be worth it. 10 cm is a lot to get cut. Maybe that's not even necessary to cut that much. If I look at your hair, you have a great hemline, there really is no need to cut it that much or often. And the rest you can keep up with S&D missions.

I estimated how much time it will take me to get my hair at hip length: one year or one year and six months. My hair growth seems to be random... It could grow up fast in winter or in spring, and at the same seasons, the next year, they could grow up really slowly. ^^' But I'm patient with my hair, I think that's the best thing I can do for it.

Each year, I cut 2 or 5 cm, it depends (or some years I completely forgot to cut them, true story). But for December 2016, it was special: I used too much the "brûlage à l'ancienne". It's completely silly, but I used this method 5 time on a year (2016)... I went in a very hot place for my summer holidays (my family took me there), my hair "burned" due to sun exposition, temperatures, chlorine, etc.
Well, the result was awful, I have to admit it. x,D That's why I heavily insist about it: "Brûlage à l'ancienne", no more than once each year maximum. :wink: (And since this day I do my best to avoid chlorine, high temperatures in a place, and sun exposition.)
https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/18/75/65/61/1b_cou10.jpg So I cut my hair, with no regrets. We learn from our mistakes, doesn't we? ^.^
The only thing I did, is to cut in the classic way and then cauterize the ends, no more. I'm proud of the actual result, the cut is still straight, and doesn't have a strange effect: https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/18/75/65/61/d_26_m10.jpg
However, I have no regrets with these methods. I will certainly try (for at least 1 year) to grow up my hair, without using these methods. It doesn't bother me to test the craziest or simplest methods: in every case I will not regret this experiment, because I tried it and know if it's bad or good for me. ^^

Like the others, I'm not convinced that burning ends is likely to prevent future splits in that hair. I've seen the practice before, but it doesn't seem to be particularly common and many people grow very long hair (even hair that is split-prone) without resorting to such measures. Usually the better option is simply to use sharp hair scissors to snip the hair just above the split, and otherwise avoid trimming hair more than is necessary. Every bit of hair that you trim off is a setback; you may prefer it that way because it leads to thicker ends or prevents splits from accumulating at the very bottom hemline of your hair (which was not where mine tended to get splits), but it removes growth that you would otherwise keep.

My first thought from your description is that you need to start wearing your hair up in buns much more than you currently do. Very few people grow to the lengths that you want without wearing buns or at least braids most of the time. Containing the hair protects it from drying out, protects it from friction, and protects it from UV light. All these things contribute to hair breaking off rather than growing to its maximum length.

Yes, my hair tapered and was less thick at longer points than at my neck, but I was able to get it down to my fingertips and probably could have grown it longer. My hair is not thick, either, but taking care of it and protecting it by wearing it in buns and braids helped it a lot. Taper is normal, because not all the hairs on your head started growing at the same time. You shed some hairs and then start growing new ones to replace them -- those hairs take years to grow, so they contribute thickness only at the higher portions of your hair. This means that even the healthiest, most undamaged hair that could exist would still taper. How much taper you get varies from person to person and would have to do with the proportion of hairs that are shed and regrowing for that person (largely a matter of genetics, but many of us will tell you that some wash methods cause us less shedding than others, so using a method of washing and products that lead to the least shedding should hypothetically minimize the amount of taper one has, after many years).

From your pictures, I do not believe you are at terminal length, and with good care you should be able to grow your hair considerably longer. Pay attention to your scalp. SLS is generally not harmful in the concentrations in shampoo, but some people do better using products with it and other people do better avoiding it. As long as your scalp remains healthy, you can choose whatever products to wash your hair with that you wish.

Also, welcome to LHC! Your English is not bad, and this is an excellent place to practice it. :) We have many members who speak other languages first, so you are not alone in trying to use this forum in a second language.

Thank you so much! ^_^ Well, I think that split ends are pooping up a bit everywhere, and not at the same place for everybody. However, I reassure you, I do more often the S&D than the fire method.
Well, I had no irritation with SLS and no problem with silicons, but I was disgusted by the environmental impact, so I decided to use safer way to clean my hair. ^^
I'm trying powders, such like green clay, shikakai, orange (powder), and nagarmotha. I think I will try soon eggs shampoo, when I will have no more powders.
"Considerabily longer"? Do you think I could reach classic length hair? =o

Thank you for your welcome! ♥

[Please, don't be mad, I'm unable to answer to everyone. Sorry! ^^'' I probably made some mistakes: please do not pay attention to it. ]

lapushka
May 26th, 2017, 03:12 PM
I estimated how much time it will take me to get my hair at hip length: one year or one year and six months. My hair growth seems to be random... It could grow up fast in winter or in spring, and at the same seasons, the next year, they could grow up really slowly. ^^' But I'm patient with my hair, I think that's the best thing I can do for it.

Each year, I cut 2 or 5 cm, it depends (or some years I completely forgot to cut them, true story). But for December 2016, it was special: I used too much the "brûlage à l'ancienne". It's completely silly, but I used this method 5 time on a year (2016)... I went in a very hot place for my summer holidays (my family took me there), my hair "burned" due to sun exposition, temperatures, chlorine, etc.
Well, the result was awful, I have to admit it. x,D That's why I heavily insist about it: "Brûlage à l'ancienne", no more than once each year maximum. :wink: (And since this day I do my best to avoid chlorine, high temperatures in a place, and sun exposition.)
https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/18/75/65/61/1b_cou10.jpg So I cut my hair, with no regrets. We learn from our mistakes, doesn't we? ^.^
The only thing I did, is to cut in the classic way and then cauterize the ends, no more. I'm proud of the actual result, the cut is still straight, and doesn't have a strange effect: https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/18/75/65/61/d_26_m10.jpg
However, I have no regrets with these methods. I will certainly try (for at least 1 year) to grow up my hair, without using these methods. It doesn't bother me to test the craziest or simplest methods: in every case I will not regret this experiment, because I tried it and know if it's bad or good for me. ^^

1 year or 1,5 isn't that bad, I don't think.

Hair only grows 12-15cm a year, so if you cut like 5 cm, that's a lot of growth! But if it has to happen for your hair, then by all means. We can't compare.

You could still join the no-trimming challenge for 2017 if you didn't cut past the 1st of January.

pamrlyn
May 26th, 2017, 04:05 PM
I'm just going to leave this here. This is from Gossamer, an LHC member with floor length hair, on the secret to getting there :)

https://youtu.be/YVtle67Uqco

Groovy Granny
May 26th, 2017, 04:16 PM
I'm just going to leave this here. This is from Gossamer, an LHC member with floor length hair, on the secret to getting there :)

I love her kitty in that video :rollin:

Aredhel
May 26th, 2017, 04:21 PM

https://youtu.be/YVtle67Uqco

Great vid, what a cute kitty lol.:)

Crystawni
May 26th, 2017, 08:49 PM
Cassandre Brave, as you know, hair length is what's retained from your scalp. If it's allowed to grow and thrive, and handled carefully with some ongoing maintenance, you will reap the benefits. If you snip, burn or break it, it will lose length, and if the loss is random or from excessive shedding, you also lose shape and volume. Sometimes splits aren't even an issue for some members here (I rarely find them, but I have low-porous, virgin hair). I wonder if your scissors are contributing to your splits? If they're blunt, damaged, or used for other purposes apart from S&D, or your cuts are skewed, it can reveal too much of the cortex which is then open to damage. As for cauterising, this would also be taking off more length before "gluing" the ends (which can still be victims of friction, and can also become brittle and snap off later down the track), and doesn't differentiate between splits or healthy ends when used as a split-removal method.

I'd suggest having a good look around the forum, and read through some of the longer-hair threads so you can soak up some of the tips and tricks, or lack thereof as it's often a case of the longer the hair, the simpler the routine. It's just a matter of not stressing and let it grow.

Xan
May 27th, 2017, 12:58 AM
Stop burning your hair, for a start... that can only cause damage.

Totally agree if you want long hair.

Xan
May 27th, 2017, 01:03 AM
I'm sorry to open this topic, but... I'm new here, and I haven't seen any topic which explains how to reach this lenght... =/

I'm trying to grow up my hair to ankle, however, when it's around waist lenght, my hair are translucid, have split ends, even with a horn-comb (& sleeping with silk cap) I have often unexpected tangles poping around there all of a suddent... After combing them from the ends to the roots. I don't know what's wrong with my routine... Or eventually with my genes.

I cut them every 3 or 5 months, depending on the spare time I have. Then I cauterize them at the ends only. (So the cut part will not split again.)
I wash them only once a week with a shampoo (powders or organic shampoo). When I think to do it, I coil my hair with coconut milk & some organic oils (lenghts & ends).
One month out of 2, I massage my scalp each morning & each evening. I always comb my hair with my horn-comb or with my "santal"-wood-comb. (This is not the threatened variety of santal, I swear!)
In order to avoid alopecia, I make a bun only once per week (2 max), and no more 6/8 hours. (After I suffer from headaches.)
And so as to avoid breakages, I make braids almost every day with satin ribbons, and at night, I let them down, and put them in one of my silk cap.
I do the "Reversion Method" 5 weeks out of 8, often without oils on the scalp. http://fr.wikihow.com/utiliser-la-m%C3%A9thode-de-l%27inversion-pour-faire-pousser-vos-cheveux

Once or twice every year, I'm using this type of method: the "Brûlage à l'ancienne" (I'm sorry, I still don't know what's the english name of this method).;)
http://getgreenordietrying.com/le-brulage-a-lancienne/
A lot of French people talk about it on the Internet, and seems so rejoiced by these results! I tried it, but I know that if I exceed the "once/twice per year", my hair will me incredibely dull, translucid... Awful. Really worse than now. However I tried it and I think it's good. (I spare some time in this way, unlike with the classic S&D.) However, I never use iron, plastic scrunchies, and any hair objects which could break too fast and easily my hair.
I sleep around 8 hours min per night, eat a bit anything (organic vegetables, fish & meat (not in excess!), cheese & co, plenty of water), I do my best to reduce stress, do some sport...

It's true that I changed some habits recently (I banned silicons & SLS on the beginning of year 2017, started one or two months ago to sleep with a silk cap)... So maybe it's to recent for myself to see if something is working or not on myself...

So I was wondering... Is there anything wrong in my routine? Or do I have yet my terminal length? O_o
If you have super-long hair, what's your routine to maintain this lenght? (And how you did to get this result?) What's your advices?
Thank you so much for your answers, your patience and your kindness! :D:blossom:

Note: If you need to see my hair down & clean, there are no problem, I will take a picture of it on a sunny day.

Ankle sounds amazing or even knee sounds nice I'm almost at classic.

Xan
May 27th, 2017, 01:55 AM
[QUOTE=Xan;3412683]Ankle sounds amazing or even knee sounds nice I'm almost at classic. As long as I can keep the tangles away I think I wold almost grow it to the floor or tripping on it. Lol

Dark40
September 28th, 2017, 11:33 AM
Stop burning your hair. That is dangerous to use heat on the hair. You will never grow ankle length hair if you keep doing that. My goal is also ankle length hair as well. What you gotta do is always take good care of your hair keeping it healthy by using products that would help you to do so.

spidermom
September 28th, 2017, 12:17 PM
I mean this in the nicest possible way, but it sounds like you think you know it all already, so why are you asking for help?

sumidha
September 28th, 2017, 03:20 PM
So, your hair has three layers. The outside part that everyone sees is the cuticle, then the cortex and the very middle is the medulla. When you burn the end of the hair it may appear to your eye that a split end is gone, and it is, but when you heat the cortex any moisture or oils in the hair shaft will cook it, weakening the hair strand as far up as the heat penetrates, which will cause it to split again in the future. Unless you are burning the ends of your hair with some kind of a tightly focused laser beam, you are cooking the ends, and they will split again.

your technique for getting rid of splits is good, but you need to stop cauterizing, and stick to cutting them off with good sharp scissors that you use only for hair. :)

lapushka
September 28th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Guys, I haven't seen the OP around in ages. ;)

sumidha
September 28th, 2017, 03:59 PM
Hah, I didn't notice it was a dead thread. :P

Dark40
July 12th, 2018, 02:49 PM
I agree with the rest. Stop burning your hair. That can cause damage. You're not going to gain any length doing that.