PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have thoughts on the effects on long braids to the ends of the hair?

zashin66
May 21st, 2017, 10:43 AM
I have not done an exhaustive search here but I was just wondering other people's thought on this subject. I have been braiding my hair in Long braids and hair sticking them up mostly and my ends seem to be 'crawling' with splits despite studious S&D sessions with my reading glasses. (lol). I never use heat; paddle brush when I don't finger comb, which is what I do mostly anyways; yet still the split ends. I've been suspecting the braids. Any thoughts?

Prism
May 21st, 2017, 10:55 AM
I am in a family with two extreme longhairs (past knees), and they keep their hair braided every single day. What I have noticed is that they don't manipulate their hair much when it's wet. They also don't braid very tightly. Keeping their hair in a braid has probably helped grow their hair long as it minimizes damage from tangling in everyday life. They rarely use heat and don't use hot water to wash their hair.

likelikepenny
May 21st, 2017, 10:57 AM
It's most likely the friction of the tassle on clothing that is giving you splits.

MoonRabbit
May 21st, 2017, 10:59 AM
Try not to tie your braid off in the same spot. If you keep adjusting how far you end your braid it will help minimize damage.

Andthetalltrees
May 21st, 2017, 11:57 AM
I am in a family with two extreme longhairs (past knees), and they keep their hair braided every single day. What I have noticed is that they don't manipulate their hair much when it's wet. They also don't braid very tightly. Keeping their hair in a braid has probably helped grow their hair long as it minimizes damage from tangling in everyday life. They rarely use heat and don't use hot water to wash their hair.

I've noticed a lot of super long haired people seem to keep their hair braided more often then bunned. It might be one of those correlation not always equaling causation but it's common enough I don't think it harms your hair.

Prism
May 21st, 2017, 12:06 PM
I've noticed a lot of super long haired people seem to keep their hair braided more often then bunned. It might be one of those correlation not always equaling causation but it's common enough I don't think it harms your hair.

Exactly. It's much more likely to be friction on clothing and/or damage from tying off repeatedly in the same spot.

Anje
May 21st, 2017, 02:48 PM
Some hairties (specifically the clear silicone ones) seem to give me bad splits where I tie off braids, so I ended up trying a lot of different types. (For me, the multi-colored "poly" bands that tend to be marketed for children's hair are don't have the same effect.) I was wearing a LOT of braids for the last ~2 years, due to a 1-hour commute in a car with a bun-unfriendly headrest, and my ends seemed OK despite being pretty split-prone. However, the braids still get pretty shredded after a few hours, and they definitely require some babysitting.

akurah
May 21st, 2017, 03:02 PM
There's also a thing called paranda/parandi. You braid past your tassle, then tie off in the fabric itself:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91490

marvel-lover
May 21st, 2017, 05:34 PM
I would wonder if maybe oiling your braid would help reduce friction damage? Maybe just a little bit of oil in your hair before you braid it?

Nique1202
May 22nd, 2017, 04:09 AM
Braiding on its own doesn't generally damage hair. Leaving hair down where it can rub against clothes, chairs, bags/purses, etc. and fastening it in the same place every day, especially with elastics that are damaging to your individual hair*, are all ways that hair can accumulate damage from being worn braided, that won't happen with a stick- or spin pin-held bun. On the other hand, some people's hair tangles more from being bunned. Either a braid or a bun is more protective than wearing hair loose, but braids do have the advantage of still being able to show off length. And, a braid can be quickly coiled into a bun to hide and protect the length at need.

* Everyone's hair reacts differently to different elastics. Anje stated above that she gets damage from the small clear hair ties, whereas everything I've tried except those ties is damaging to my hair. Someone else's results may not match yours, or in other words, YMMV.

zashin66
May 22nd, 2017, 04:22 AM
Exactly. It's much more likely to be friction on clothing and/or damage from tying off repeatedly in the same spot.
My coarse hair does push out of the braid looking shredded after a time. It does seem like those ends that push themselves to stick out, must be rubbing against my clothing when I leave the braids loose.

Perhaps I just need to do the bunned part most often.

Try not to tie your braid off in the same spot. If you keep adjusting how far you end your braid it will help minimize damage.
I do tie off the braid at different spots on the end. sometimes small tassle, sometimes long tassle;)

I do love hot baths :sun:but rinse my hair in cold water prior to leaving the tub. I try to leave my hair unbound to dry before combing through. The weather here in Texas has been dry then humid than rainy and sunny. Can't seem to make up its mind. I am sure this not helping:confused::slap::rant:

zashin66
May 22nd, 2017, 04:44 AM
It's most likely the friction of the tassle on clothing that is giving you splits.
I do think you've got something there. my hair pushes out after an hour of dangling back and forth. When I bun it, it soes not do this so much. The braids are still pretty clean when I take them down.

I would wonder if maybe oiling your braid would help reduce friction damage? Maybe just a little bit of oil in your hair before you braid it?
I have been using more leave-in conditioner as a result of noticing more splits.

There's also a thing called paranda/parandi. You braid past your tassle, then tie off in the fabric itself:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91490
This would be very interesting to try. I will have to find a version that matches my personal style. I looked some up and there is quite a variety.

Some hairties (specifically the clear silicone ones) seem to give me bad splits where I tie off braids, so I ended up trying a lot of different types. (For me, the multi-colored "poly" bands that tend to be marketed for children's hair are don't have the same effect.) I was wearing a LOT of braids for the last ~2 years, due to a 1-hour commute in a car with a bun-unfriendly headrest, and my ends seemed OK despite being pretty split-prone. However, the braids still get pretty shredded after a few hours, and they definitely require some babysitting.
Yes seem to need rebraiding quite a bit when the braids are down. Since my hair is my comfortzone/teddy bear for me , I don't mind at all. It seems that the longer my hair gets to more I can not imagine cutting it. It sometimes seems way too short. It is about 2 inchs past tailbone length....about 2-3 inches from classic.:cheese: Since I am about 5 foot 7 inches or so the length takes a little while longer to get to each stage.

SunnyRose
May 22nd, 2017, 07:58 AM
I suppose any manipulation to the hair may cause damage. Maybe try a non braided style for a while and see if you continue to experience an excessive amount of damage. The culprit may not be the braids.

Joyful Mystery
May 22nd, 2017, 01:50 PM
When my hair was longer, I usually kept it in an English braid, and I will again once it's long enough to do so. Never noticed any damage. I always made sure to adjust where I placed the hair tie and would pull it over my shoulder before sitting.

bparnell75
May 22nd, 2017, 04:59 PM
It would seem damage from the ends of the braids would come from the use of elastics. I never use them, I posted my solution a while back here it is
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=141968

these are easy to make and easy to use. They are nice enough to wear out too.

Simsy
May 24th, 2017, 05:24 AM
I cheat a little with this. I don't tie my braids off, I stick a bobby pin on the end until I'm ready to pin them up. Then I pull the pin off, tuck the braid into place and pin down firmly. I do notice the tassels start to look a bit ragged by the end of the week but a dose of moisture usually fixes that well enough.

zashin66
June 1st, 2017, 02:43 PM
Braiding on its own doesn't generally damage hair. Leaving hair down where it can rub against clothes, chairs, bags/purses, etc. and fastening it in the same place every day, especially with elastics that are damaging to your individual hair*, are all ways that hair can accumulate damage from being worn braided, that won't happen with a stick- or spin pin-held bun. On the other hand, some people's hair tangles more from being bunned. Either a braid or a bun is more protective than wearing hair loose, but braids do have the advantage of still being able to show off length. And, a braid can be quickly coiled into a bun to hide and protect the length at need.

* Everyone's hair reacts differently to different elastics. Anje stated above that she gets damage from the small clear hair ties, whereas everything I've tried except those ties is damaging to my hair. Someone else's results may not match yours, or in other words, YMMV.

I have been trying all the wonderful bits of advice and I think my hair is just stiff and pokes me when it wants some attention....:slap: I just have to keep it moistured and love it as it comes.