PDA

View Full Version : Shedding in spring rather than autumn?

LoneStarfruit
May 18th, 2017, 04:28 AM
Hi everyone,

I know it's common for people to experience a significant 'shed' phase in the autumn, but it's springtime here and I've lost a ton of hair (we're talking four times the usual amount of hairballs and a good third--almost half--of my ponytail thickness). It's definitely shedding and not breakage--the little 'bulbs' are visible on the roots of the lost hair.

My thyroid has always been low and this doesn't affect my hair; I have very dense hair, though I've noticed more thinning at the temples and hairline lately, which is hereditary unfortunately (thanks, mom) and I presume that's kicking in now that I'm in my mid-30s.

I know all the various medical possibilities, but I'm wondering if it's possible to have a non-autumnal seasonal hair shed pattern, ie if cyclical shedding around a particular time of the year each year?

Thanks! :)

Aredhel
May 18th, 2017, 04:36 AM
Most definitely possible. I haven't experienced it personally but there have been quite a few members here who have mentioned their seasonal shedding being in the Spring. :)

LoneStarfruit
May 18th, 2017, 04:51 AM
Most definitely possible. I haven't experienced it personally but there have been quite a few members here who have mentioned their seasonal shedding being in the Spring. :)

:couch: I really hope that's the case with me. How long does 'normal' seasonal shedding usually last? This has been about a month so far.

Borgessa
May 18th, 2017, 05:05 AM
I shed a lot in spring myself, and through summer too, its finally now calming down and its our autumn/fall down here now. To my mind it makes sense, like an animal with fur coat, looses a certain amount of fur to prep for the warmer weather, anyway thats what I tell myself, makes me feel better. Almost half your ponytail circumference is a bit severe. I wouldn't consider that shedding?. Might want to visit your doc just get your blood lvl's ect tested see if you got some deficiencies somewhere?

LoneStarfruit
May 18th, 2017, 05:14 AM
I shed a lot in spring myself, and through summer too, its finally now calming down and its our autumn/fall down here now. To my mind it makes sense, like an animal with fur coat, looses a certain amount of fur to prep for the warmer weather, anyway thats what I tell myself, makes me feel better. Almost half your ponytail circumference is a bit severe. I wouldn't consider that shedding?. Might want to visit your doc just get your blood lvl's ect tested see if you got some deficiencies somewhere?

I already know that I'm hypothyroid. The issue is that I don't do well on levothyroxine alone (T4) or synthetic T4+T3 supplementation. I do great on dessicated thyroid and was on that for years in the US; unfortunately in the UK, it's not covered by the NHS and seeing a private doctor every time I need a refill + the monthly cost of the medicine is too much. So unfortunately there's nothing (other than what little help I get from healthy eating) that I can do to get the meds I need unless my financial situation changes. :(

Borgessa
May 18th, 2017, 05:25 AM
I already know that I'm hypothyroid. The issue is that I don't do well on levothyroxine alone (T4) or synthetic T4+T3 supplementation. I do great on dessicated thyroid and was on that for years in the US; unfortunately in the UK, it's not covered by the NHS and seeing a private doctor every time I need a refill + the monthly cost of the medicine is too much. So unfortunately there's nothing (other than what little help I get from healthy eating) that I can do to get the meds I need unless my financial situation changes. :(

That sucks so bad, sorry. But in answer to your original question is yes. Because I do myself, shed in spring and summer.

LoneStarfruit
May 18th, 2017, 05:31 AM
That sucks so bad, sorry. But in answer to your original question is yes. Because I do myself, shed in spring and summer.

Thanks. :( I know a lot of folks far worse off than me, so I'm grateful for what I can afford and working hard to improve things. Definitely the goal is to be on proper meds for the long term, hopefully within the next couple years. How long do your sheds normally last, if I may ask?

Borgessa
May 18th, 2017, 05:38 AM
Thanks. :( I know a lot of folks far worse off than me, so I'm grateful for what I can afford and working hard to improve things. Definitely the goal is to be on proper meds for the long term, hopefully within the next couple years. How long do your sheds normally last, if I may ask?

Much Much longer than I would like, must have been like 3 months, I would just have to look at my hair, and it would start falling out never mind touch it to put it in a braid or anything. I made the mistake of putting oil on my scalp once, omg, thought i was gonna be bald after that wash, won't be doing that again. finally it started to settle down for me, near the end of our summer maybe a month and a half ago. Like you there was little bulbs, so I knew it was shedding and not breakage. I don't have much hair to lose so its all precious so I understand.

Edited to add, I dunno if you have tried, you probably have- a tea rinse, some do a coffee rinses, Works for some folks, I tried it once and didn't notice any difference for me. But others swear by it.

lapushka
May 18th, 2017, 05:42 AM
I don't think last autumn I got a shed; looks like I'm skipping it this season too, and I am shedding even less. It is *so* odd. But my diet has improved slightly as at night I'm eating another half a sandwich (and it was a good diet to begin with). It is important to get the calories you need; can't stress that enough!

There's 2 major shed seasons, spring & autumn.

A thyroid issue can impact your hair, though! So that needs to be ruled out first (that it's all still balanced enough).

Medical issues precede anything else. :flower:

LoneStarfruit
May 18th, 2017, 06:05 AM
Much Much longer than I would like, must have been like 3 months, I would just have to look at my hair, and it would start falling out never mind touch it to put it in a braid or anything. I made the mistake of putting oil on my scalp once, omg, thought i was gonna be bald after that wash, won't be doing that again. finally it started to settle down for me, near the end of our summer maybe a month and a half ago. Like you there was little bulbs, so I knew it was shedding and not breakage. I don't have much hair to lose so its all precious so I understand.

Edited to add, I dunno if you have tried, you probably have- a tea rinse, some do a coffee rinses, Works for some folks, I tried it once and didn't notice any difference for me. But others swear by it.

I can't tell if mine is tapering off slightly or if I'm just losing less because I have less to lose :rolleyes: so here's hoping it's actually slowing a little. I haven't tried a tea rinse, though I've done chamomile rinses now and then. I've been co-washing only for the past three weeks to at least help with some of the manual damage and baby my hair a little, and it seems to be responding quite well to that.

LoneStarfruit
May 18th, 2017, 06:07 AM
I don't think last autumn I got a shed; looks like I'm skipping it this season too, and I am shedding even less. It is *so* odd. But my diet has improved slightly as at night I'm eating another half a sandwich (and it was a good diet to begin with). It is important to get the calories you need; can't stress that enough!

There's 2 major shed seasons, spring & autumn.

A thyroid issue can impact your hair, though! So that needs to be ruled out first (that it's all still balanced enough).

Medical issues precede anything else. :flower:

I definitely can't wait to be able to afford thyroid meds again :( because yes, it definitely makes a difference (though luckily for me my thyroid has always been 'steadily' hypo and it's never had an impact on my hair; the shedding appears cyclical, though I think I only get a big shed like this maybe every 3-4 years so it always freaks me out when it happens).

Food definitely helps! For me sticking to lower carb and 'real' (unprocessed) food makes a big difference in my skin and hair and nails, so when I can afford to eat like that I relish how glossy I look. :cool:

Borgessa
May 18th, 2017, 06:13 AM
I can't tell if mine is tapering off slightly or if I'm just losing less because I have less to lose :rolleyes: so here's hoping it's actually slowing a little. I haven't tried a tea rinse, though I've done chamomile rinses now and then. I've been co-washing only for the past three weeks to at least help with some of the manual damage and baby my hair a little, and it seems to be responding quite well to that.

Yeah and then those little baby hairs grow back, well Thank goodness they grow back, but argh.. what a mess they make when they do, I just got to step out into a breeze and POOF, look like a cat dragged through a hedge backwards a whole canopy of flyaways. ANNOYING. lol.

I'm sure if you notice its tapering off then it is. Thats how mine happened too, of course noticed it more on wash day, so i noticed on wash day, wasn't as much hair as last time etc.

Edit again to add, I have heard of people having cycles in yrs, where every so many years they have an extra large shed.

lapushka
May 18th, 2017, 06:36 AM
I definitely can't wait to be able to afford thyroid meds again :( because yes, it definitely makes a difference (though luckily for me my thyroid has always been 'steadily' hypo and it's never had an impact on my hair; the shedding appears cyclical, though I think I only get a big shed like this maybe every 3-4 years so it always freaks me out when it happens).

Food definitely helps! For me sticking to lower carb and 'real' (unprocessed) food makes a big difference in my skin and hair and nails, so when I can afford to eat like that I relish how glossy I look. :cool:

I don't want to run your budget for you (of course), but I see you're in the UK. Are meds really that expensive there then?

LoneStarfruit
May 18th, 2017, 07:38 AM
I don't want to run your budget for you (of course), but I see you're in the UK. Are meds really that expensive there then?

I wrote about it a little higher up; essentially, when I was in the US, I tried T4 and T4/T3 and felt horrid on it (worse thyroid levels, massive hair loss, the worst depression I've ever had) and ended up on dessicated thyroid (WesThroid, NatureThroid, Armour Thyroid) which was fantastic. Unfortunately here, it's not covered by the NHS--despite the fact that it was the original thyroid med of choice 'back in the day', because the synthetic stuff is cheaper. I have a private doctor capable of prescribing it, but it costs £250 to see the doctor, £100 for blood tests bimonthly, and more critically £50/month for the medicine itself which I really can't afford at the moment. I'd be able to float it if it was the standard NHS (£8/month) fee but unfortunately for now I have to do the best I can with just adjusting my diet how and when I can manage to. Not ideal at all but unfortunately it's where I'm at.

LiAnaA
May 18th, 2017, 07:42 AM
It's spring here and I always shed in spring instead of fall. I have thick hair but the past three week have been brutal and I have lost a significant amount due to shedding but I haven't had a big shed in 4 years so.

LoneStarfruit
May 18th, 2017, 08:05 AM
It's spring here and I always shed in spring instead of fall. I have thick hair but the past three week have been brutal and I have lost a significant amount due to shedding but I haven't had a big shed in 4 years so.

Sounds like you have a similar loss pattern to me! Sorry to hear you're shedding now as well. Maybe we can start a business selling massive hairballs :rolling:

olivetime
May 18th, 2017, 01:01 PM
Both my husband and I are currently experiencing a big shed!

MoonRabbit
May 18th, 2017, 01:11 PM
My spring shed has started as well. I have around 15-20 more hairs than I did during fall/winter. Even more during that certain time of the month.

lapushka
May 18th, 2017, 04:25 PM
I wrote about it a little higher up; essentially, when I was in the US, I tried T4 and T4/T3 and felt horrid on it (worse thyroid levels, massive hair loss, the worst depression I've ever had) and ended up on dessicated thyroid (WesThroid, NatureThroid, Armour Thyroid) which was fantastic. Unfortunately here, it's not covered by the NHS--despite the fact that it was the original thyroid med of choice 'back in the day', because the synthetic stuff is cheaper. I have a private doctor capable of prescribing it, but it costs £250 to see the doctor, £100 for blood tests bimonthly, and more critically £50/month for the medicine itself which I really can't afford at the moment. I'd be able to float it if it was the standard NHS (£8/month) fee but unfortunately for now I have to do the best I can with just adjusting my diet how and when I can manage to. Not ideal at all but unfortunately it's where I'm at.

That's tough! I'm sorry.

I recently saw this float by in my feed. Might be helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPRSQaVYiks&t=0s

Fennecfox
May 19th, 2017, 12:41 PM
I've always been someone who sheds quite noticeably - nothing too major, but definitely noticing hairs coming out while washing my hair, as well as finding hairs in weird places (weaving themselves into carpets, entwining themselves in the rods and keys of other people's musical instruments, climbing up walls, inside other people's jackets, etc.) I started CWC a couple of weeks ago and have since noticed much less shedding - hardly any hairs have come out in the shower or my hairbrush recently! Maybe my hair is enjoying the new washing routine? Or maybe it just got bored of the circus tricks?

Cg
May 20th, 2017, 02:19 PM
It's typical for me to experience a noticeable shed both in spring and autumn, but heavier in spring.

pandabarrier
May 20th, 2017, 07:25 PM
I shed more in spring too. I think I don't sleep well with the sun rising so early. The shed increases by ~15-20 more hair strands a day. By mid-summer my body is more used to the longer days and the shed decreases. Ponytail thickness seems the same. I don't notice increased shed during fall.

marvel-lover
May 20th, 2017, 07:53 PM
I also shed more in the spring, and my shed has been a bit rough this year. My ponytail thickness has slightly declined, but not by too terribly much. And I don't necessarily mind, especially because my head stays, I don't know, not 10000000 degrees.