PDA

View Full Version : Beard oil in your hair?

Corvana
May 17th, 2017, 09:23 PM
Does anyone use beard oil as their hair oil? Both my husband and I are sensitive to a lot of scents, and he found this incredible coffee scented beard oil that smells like a Starbucks or coffeehouse. He has another "coffee" scent but it's really sweet and mapley and makes both of us a little nauseated.

Anyway, I think the blend is really lovely (golden jojoba, sweet almond, grapeseed, and avocado, plus the coffee and roasted pecan essential oils for scent), and when I've got bad frizz I immediately reach for it. Now I've been reading on here about people using oil before putting their hair in a bun or braid, and other times as well.

I figure I could use the beard oil for that as well, and I was wondering if anyone else did the same? It's easiest to do for me, since my husband is buying the oil anyway for his gorgeous beard, and it's a scent that is guaranteed to not bother either myself or my husband. Is this oil good for that kind of protective use? I'm never sure what kind of oils are good and bad for hair, to be honest, and I generally just assume that if it's fine for beards it's fine for other hair :laugh:

If that mess is confusing, I'll boil down my main two questions (I've got ADHD and I often get distracted mid-thought which causes me to forget exactly where I was going, which makes my writing jumbled sometimes):

1. Does anyone use beard oil in their hair
2. Are the oils in this beard oil (golden jojoba, sweet almond, grapeseed, and avocado) good for head hair?

Shorty89
May 17th, 2017, 10:07 PM
I don't use it, but I don't see why it would be a problem. :)

MoonRabbit
May 17th, 2017, 10:17 PM
I will put beard oil on my ends when I am out of olive oil. Seems to work just fine since it is just a mixture of oils I would use in my hair anyway.

Corvana
May 17th, 2017, 10:30 PM
Oh that's good! It smells so good, so I'm glad that I've got a reason to use it more :p. My poor husband's lone bottle, though LOL. It lasts him about 3 months with daily use if I'm not using any. If I am? Then probably 2 months or less! We're gonna need to stock up.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 17th, 2017, 11:24 PM
It sounds like a good mixture of oils. I would use it if we had any, for sure!:)

Borgessa
May 17th, 2017, 11:53 PM
I spose you could say I use beard oil in my hair, as I just get all my oils in their natural state and just mix my own concoction.. I use mostly those oils.. Grapeseed, rose hip, jojoba, sweet almond, argan and coconut. Sometimes I use advocado sometimes not, what ever floats your boat I guess. Can't be bad.. Obviously being fine haired I avoid heavier oils, Black Jamacian caster oil would be a no go for me, and olive oil may be a step too far but those light oils.. Yup.. they are not scented. Well perfumed unnaturally.

Kirby-oh
May 18th, 2017, 01:54 AM
I've never used much in my hair, but that's where I put the rest still on my hands after beard oiling. Seems just fine.

Henrietta
May 18th, 2017, 08:42 AM
They oils you mention are definitely potentially good, but the real effect depends on what your hair likes.

My husband's got a beard too, but most of his oils and solid balms he uses have organ oil, which my hair hates. Plus, the mixtures are more or less 20 times more expensive than body oils (with the same or similar oils) not to mention plain oils, bought separately and mixed at home. So I don't want to waste them on TBL+ hair that I oil every 4 days.
But I love the smells! That could be also home-made though :)

Corvana
May 18th, 2017, 04:08 PM
They oils you mention are definitely potentially good, but the real effect depends on what your hair likes.

My husband's got a beard too, but most of his oils and solid balms he uses have organ oil, which my hair hates. Plus, the mixtures are more or less 20 times more expensive than body oils (with the same or similar oils) not to mention plain oils, bought separately and mixed at home. So I don't want to waste them on TBL+ hair that I oil every 4 days.
But I love the smells! That could be also home-made though :)

How would I know if my hair likes it or not? I'm not really sure what to look for! I don't want to go around thinking my hair likes something when I'm not noticing a sign of it trying to tell me it doesn't like something! I know it's not a huge fan of coconut oil, that always leaves my hair a little crunchy. Since this oil doesn't do that I assumed that it was fine, but there's probably more than just that sign right?

enting
June 5th, 2017, 02:53 AM
Hair is hair. I see no reason why not to use beard oil in head hair. I sometimes use skin moisturizer in my hair, too.

If you like how your hair feels and acts after you've applied it, and your hair doesn't seem to be suffering in any way from it, that qualifies as "liking" it.
An example from my own experience: a mixture of sesame oil and aloe vera gel made my hair very soft and pliable, especially at the ends. It made my hair feel just the slightest bit more moisturized without feeling greasy or oily or wet. It tangled less and made combing easier. I classified that as "like".
Contrary to that, when I used grapeseed oil I felt greasy and like my hair was clumpy. It wasn't dependent on the amount, either, it just didn't feel nice. I classified that as "dislike".

As long as both his beard hair and your head hair like the same oil well enough, sharing it is great!

Alissalocks
June 5th, 2017, 07:16 AM
I'm too cheap. I have gallons (literally) of sweet almond oil and it's so much cheaper to mix my own essential oils into it to create a personalized (and constantly changing) blend and scent. Hubby has beard oil, but uses my blends far more often.

But I understand the convenience factor, enjoy! I had to giggle a little... Coffee scented beard oil sounds so hipster ;)

MrsDay
June 5th, 2017, 07:52 AM
My husband and I "share" hair oils. He uses them in his beard, I use them in my ends. For a while we had been using a "woodsman" beard oil that was similar oils to what you mentioned but also had a pine oil scent to it which I really liked. These days we're just using straight argan oil, but I'm sure we will mix it up again.

Corvana
June 5th, 2017, 07:33 PM
I'm too cheap. I have gallons (literally) of sweet almond oil and it's so much cheaper to mix my own essential oils into it to create a personalized (and constantly changing) blend and scent. Hubby has beard oil, but uses my blends far more often.

But I understand the convenience factor, enjoy! I had to giggle a little... Coffee scented beard oil sounds so hipster ;)

It really does! And even more so when I say "I've loved the smell of coffee since I was a teen, before it was a popular scent for products."

It would probably be cheaper later on, but for now I use maybe 12 drops a week since my hair is only shoulder length and it's raining so much outside that my hair is the opposite of dry haha. I don't know how long a personal bottle would last, but between the two of us a small bottle (I think it's like an ounce??) lasts like two and a half-ish months? I'd said 2 months before, but to me time isn't real and apparently it's been longer than that according to my husband. He bought the bottle we're using now in January, and opened it (had some left in his other still) in mid-march-ish? It's only been a month of me using it regularly, as well. It's almost empty, though.

I'm already looking around for coffee essential oil or something to scent my own oil blend once my hair is long enough to make it more worth the effort of making my own blend. By then I'll also be more likely to want to or need to start a weekly oil mask (when my hair was long, forever ago it seems, the ends were often very dry. Probably improper care, to be fair).

gthlvrmx
June 5th, 2017, 07:40 PM
Grapeseed is great for detangling and adding slip in hair. It gave me shine too before. I stopped using it because I read it leaves a residue, a film on the hair. Don't have the links anymore to that though,sorry. Jojoba is an oil that is said to be very similar to the natural oils your scalp produces, so that's why it is very popular. I have never tried it but I have heard good things about it.

enting
June 6th, 2017, 01:50 AM
Corvana you could probably make your own coffee infused oil. It would take a little bit of time to infuse properly, but you could choose whichever coffee smells the best to you and just put the whole beans or ground coffee directly into a small bottle of oil. (I'm not sure coffee essential oil exists. Coffee fragrance oil probably does though.)