PDA

View Full Version : Trimming throughout broken off hair.

Mrstran
May 16th, 2017, 11:25 AM
I was wondering how you all go about finding split ends in your hair that are above your ends.
Last October after my big chop and realizing my hair was burned into multi layeres,
I found a way to trim my splits all over.
I'm not sure if anyone else has ever done it, but this is something I had to figure out on my own out of frustration. How was my hair ever going to grow if I have splits all through it? You know?

I wrap a thin thin strand of hair under my index finger, over my middle finger, and under my ring finger, and close them together tightly. I then slide my finders along the hair all the way to my ends while snipping the little hairs that stick up. So far it's worked like a charm.

Do do any of you have any methods of doing this? Or have you discovered this one as well?

-Sorry if there are typos. I'll probably go over it a hundred times and correct. Bad habit.

Aredhel
May 16th, 2017, 12:14 PM
Honestly I just trim them as they appear in my field of vision haha... like if I notice one I'll just quickly grab my hair scissors and snip it right off. Your method sounds like a good idea, I don't think that would work so well with 1a hair though. :(

MoonRabbit
May 16th, 2017, 12:40 PM
I do this too. Sometimes I will use the strand twist method but I feel like I miss a lot of hairs that way.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
May 16th, 2017, 01:32 PM
I snip individual strands. If I see a split I get my scissors and snip it right away and just give my strands a quick check. I don't get many splits thanks to the LHC.

likelikepenny
May 16th, 2017, 02:54 PM
I do a combination of all three.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 16th, 2017, 03:11 PM
That seems as good a way as any, but remember that just because a hair sticks up, it doesn't automatically mean that it's split. Make sure it's an actual split end before you trim it, otherwise you'll be trimming the ends off all your newer growing hairs which haven't reached their final length yet :)

lapushka
May 16th, 2017, 03:18 PM
That seems as good a way as any, but remember that just because a hair sticks up, it doesn't automatically mean that it's split. Make sure it's an actual split end before you trim it, otherwise you'll be trimming the ends off all your newer growing hairs which haven't reached their final length yet :)

Exactly this. You'll be trimming off things that shouldn't be trimmed, in fact giving yourself more like a trim instead of doing S&D.

school of fish
May 16th, 2017, 04:45 PM
My splits are up into my length too. My hem ends are great from 3 years of microtrimming, but my lower 8" or so has tons of random lengths within it and a fair share of splits and white dots that get snaggy if I let them go too long ;)

I've recently started my own version of what Chromis does - S&D a few splits every day. Before my shower in the morning I detangle, centre part and bring each half to the front over each shoulder. Then I snip 5 splits from the left half and 5 from the right. Takes less than a minute :)

I just kind of lift the ends up and gaze through them, seperating out the splitty/white-dotty strands and taking care of them. Sometimes I'll kind of weave the length between my fingers and slide my hand down - shorter lengths will pop up as my fingers slide through and if I see splits on any of those lengths they go.

I'm sure different methods are more or less suited to different textures - this one works nicely for me, and feels extremely low maintenance for me :)

enting
May 17th, 2017, 06:04 AM
If there is a rough or tangly patch in my hair, that means there are a lot of splits in there. That's where I start hunting for them.

I generally have to go through my hair almost strand by strand. Splits higher up have a tendency to be grabby in my hair, so they won't necessarily stick up if I run a lock of hair through my fingers. The sides of the splits are often not the same length, either, making the ends of the hair look solid and healthy, but there will be a fork a little higher up.

Mrstran
May 17th, 2017, 07:31 AM
Lots of points here and info! I couldn't figure out the other ways for the life of me. Lol

Exactly this. You'll be trimming off things that shouldn't be trimmed, in fact giving yourself more like a trim instead of doing S&D.

I completely agree. I look for splits in my hair once a month, but have done an all over trim only two times this year using this method. I felt I needed it badly because these areas were breakage and weren't cut this short. Two times to ensure I get as many broken off hairs as possible. Perhaps doing this method one time is enough in total to go through broken hair and removed damaged ends (micro damage that turns into a split from being broken?) then just upkeep doing S&D after would be a good plan.

I think that's a good thing to make clear. Not to keep doing this over and over. What a mess!
I feel a fresh all over cut after a horrid bleach disaster was really needed for my case. Probably a big no no for more healthy hairs.