PDA

View Full Version : How much hair loss is too much?

kickrz22
May 16th, 2017, 09:35 AM
So I have been no heat and trying to be better to my hair since the end of March.
I feel like I am losing more now then ever :( I am not sure if it because I am going longer stretches without washing (therefore the 100 hairs a day becomes 500) or what I am doing isn't working.

I fear that cutting it off at the problem might be the only way and I was so hoping to avoid that. I am taking the iron, vitamin D, no heat, back to my natural colour, satin pillow case, tried putting in a soft scrunchie at bed because apparently I sleep like a wild woman and my hair rubs in the night. Not sure what is the lesser of the evils the scrunchie or the rubbing. I am deep conditioning often and not brushing it, light comb on dry hair with a wide tooth wooden comb.

I just don't know if I should switch things up and if so what! I am taking pics of my hair loss (to document how much on what days) - what I can gather and what comes off on my hands but there is probably a lot more that just makes its was down the drain.
Feeling sad, frustrated and at a loss what to do next :(

*Wednesday*
May 16th, 2017, 10:05 AM
You seem to be externally taking care of your hair. With that increased hair loss, is a white bulb attached to those hairs? I believe I read no bulb can be breakage especially if it is the entire length of your hair is a concern.

This caught my attention. Are you taking iron due to a deficiency? I hope you are not diagnosing yourself and you are not overloading your system with Iron. Iron can be a funny thing. Dosage, time release formulas etc.. When you started taking the iron, does it coincide with your increased hair loss? Believe it or not, too much iron in the body can result in hair loss. You can have medical issues, thyroid, hormonal imbalance, medical condition causing increased hair loss.

Anje
May 16th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Usually, it's when it's getting measurably thinner. Keep track of your ponytail circumference, maybe on the same day relative to when you wash it.

I agree that it's probably worth checking in with a doctor, if your hair isn't getting damaged and breaking off. There are many potential culprits, but common ones are anemia and thyroid issues, both of which are readily checked for with blood tests.

kickrz22
May 16th, 2017, 10:38 AM
You seem to be externally taking care of your hair. With that increased hair loss, is a white bulb attached to those hairs? I believe I read no bulb can be breakage especially if it is the entire length of your hair is a concern.

This caught my attention. Are you taking iron due to a deficiency? I hope you are not diagnosing yourself and you are not overloading your system with Iron. Iron can be a funny thing. Dosage, time release formulas etc.. When you started taking the iron, does it coincide with your increased hair loss? Believe it or not, too much iron in the body can result in hair loss. You can have medical issues, thyroid, hormonal imbalance, medical condition causing increased hair loss.

I don't see any noticeable white bulbs however was diagnosed with trichorrhexis nodosa the end of March. I am taking iron not due to deficiency as my levels were all fine my my dermatologist thinks a higher level is needed.

Usually, it's when it's getting measurably thinner. Keep track of your ponytail circumference, maybe on the same day relative to when you wash it.

I agree that it's probably worth checking in with a doctor, if your hair isn't getting damaged and breaking off. There are many potential culprits, but common ones are anemia and thyroid issues, both of which are readily checked for with blood tests.

I was to see a dermatologist the end of March and going by her orders but at this point I am not sure if it isn't just not enough time, getting worse or what I should change if anything.
I don't really have much of a ponytail but will definitely try that. Being that I am losing clumps I imagine I know the answer but I am just at such a loss.

Thank you both :)

*Wednesday*
May 16th, 2017, 10:53 AM
I did a quick search and TN is thick or weak points in the hair shaft that cause hair breakage. Unfortunately, this is the “root” of the hair and would be a medical condition. I would baby your hair and stay on that course. I do see one of the causes is "low" iron. It says in order to effectively treat the problem, TN, the scalp, hair and blood need to be examined.

Have you followed up with your doctor that the current course of action(s) is not helping and you continue to see hair loss, breakage or lack of growth?

Hopefully someone here suffering from this can contribute a remedy. Best of luck to you.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
May 16th, 2017, 11:23 AM
Hi, sending you good energy for your healing.

I'm not aware of TN. But what I can advise is follow through with your treatment. Keep your scalp healthy. Wash your scalp gently and avoid over manipulation. Do not apply anything on your scalp not prescribed. Especially do not apply any oils on your scalp. As oils could aggravate the problem.

lapushka
May 16th, 2017, 04:07 PM
Mind you, it is spring, and for a lot of us that means more shedding. It can be seasonal for quite a number of people!

If you are losing up to 100 a day, then that is still normal.

I would recommend you measure your ponytail circumference, and measure it yearly (as during the year the numbers might vary due to seasonal issues). This way you can keep an eye on the thickness of your hair. If it's not thinning out (and you can notice that just like that as well), then you have nothing to worry about! :flower: