PDA

View Full Version : Comfortable hairstyles,

Iguana
May 16th, 2017, 07:37 AM
Hey everyone,
I'm new to this forum, but not to having long hair lol.
It's just below waist length and decently thick, also dyed, not sure if that's relevant though haha

Anyways, i've been having trouble finding a comfortable hairstyle, and due to my new job I need to wear it up (well I don't NEED to, but it's a horrible nuisance if I don't), and pretty much everything apart from a lose braid, which falls out eventually, hurts my scalp, since it's pulling on my hair.
I've tried buns and ponytails, of which I can only wear for an hour or so, before the pain gives me a headache, I'm pretty sure that the combined weight and length of my hair is what's doing it, since I can feel it 'pulling' when up, ie if it's in a bun I can feel the bun weighing it down and pulling.
I've also tried different hair ties, some are better than others, but overall it's still eventually painful.
I've seen a few long haired persons using the 'hair sticks', do they help? Are they comfortable?

Any advice, tips or hairstyle recommendations are greatly appreciated,
thanks!

lapushka
May 16th, 2017, 07:50 AM
Exactly how thick is your hair? Measure your ponytail circumference. I'm iii and could only comfortably do buns at about hip length. If you are iii, then that might explain a whole lot.

Fia
May 16th, 2017, 08:27 AM
Hair sticks (or forks) are generally better than using hair ties. With a hair tie you only have one connection point between the bun and the scalp hair and with thicker/heavier hair that means pulling (mostly along the temples and/or the front hairline). Sticks and forks when woven in so that you catch a bit of bun hair, a bit of scalp hair, a bit of bun hair and so on will give multiple connection points and distribute the weight a lot better. Another way of getting a similar weight distribution is to use U-shaped hair pins (mostly referred to as Amish hairpins - google to get sellers - they are made in sturdier material than the flimsy U-pins you can buy elsewhere) and fasten each turn of the bun as it's laid down. I.e. do the first (innermost) turn, fasten; do the next turn, fasten; tuck ends in and fasten.

Entangled
May 16th, 2017, 08:38 AM
To measure your ponytail circumference, pull it into a ponytail and try to get it as tight as possible, then measure around it. This will help us figure out how to give advice, as thick is subjective. The ration of how thick your hair is to how long it is helps give us an idea of what buns will work. Depending on how thick it is, we can recommend different buns to you. Using sticks or forks can help a bun stay up without hurting, though this is different for everyone. One thing that works with thick hair is sectioning. If you split your hair into multiple sections to bun it, it can distribute the weight better and can go up easier.

A good bun that works with thicker or shorter hair is the disc bun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y5sSEBy7HQ

I find hairsticks and hair forks to be quite comfortable. I wear a hairstick bun almost every day because I find them comfortable and easy to use. I rarely use hairties except to tie braids.

enting
May 16th, 2017, 08:52 AM
Have you tried multiple buns or sectioned buns? I understand those are more comfortable for those with very thick or heavy hair. Multiple buns can be quite elegant, too. I don't have the link offhand but I've seen pictures on this forum of someone with I think 3 buns arranged vertically, they may have been braided first, and it was quite nice looking.

Anje
May 16th, 2017, 09:18 AM
Another consideration: Where are you positioning your buns on your head? Most people have less discomfort with low buns than with higher ones. It doesn't pull the hair so far out of its usual position. Otherwise, you can gradually get yourself used to a new position with increasing amounts of time up (30 minutes one day, 45 minutes the next...), but a lot of us don't really position hair much higher than our ears.

I certainly agree that hairsticks or forks are more comfortable than securing a bun with an elastic. They pull a lot less. Many people also really like claw clips of various types (the flat-bottomed octopus ones are nice, I think) and they have a bit less of a learning curve.

meteor
May 16th, 2017, 09:33 AM
Otherwise, you can gradually get yourself used to a new position with increasing amounts of time up (30 minutes one day, 45 minutes the next...)

That's what I had to do when I first started putting hair up. I would take it down as soon as I felt pain, give myself a quick scalp massage and then try again later. I normally experience discomfort that feels like scalp pain every time I try a new updo style or new positioning.

Some of the styles I'd recommend trying for good weight distribution are crown braids, milkmaid/heidi braids, hairtaping and sectioned buns or double/multiple buns. Otherwise, nothing wrong with sticking with simple braids. :)

Vivalagina
May 16th, 2017, 11:59 AM
I also like loose double Dutch braids if I need my hair out of my face for long periods of time.

Simsy
May 17th, 2017, 05:37 AM
Raising a vote for milkmaid/Heidi braids, 2 braids (or 4, 6, 8?) wrapped around the head and pinned/sewed into place. Holds like a rock and I leave mine in for a couple of days at a time.

I like to lace braid mine around the hairline on each side of my part to catch any short strands and cross them over in the back.

Also seconding the fork for securing buns. You may find braided buns a bit easier to handle at your length, they just hold everything in that tiny bit better sometimes.

Iguana
May 17th, 2017, 08:29 AM
@Lapushka No clue how thick exactly, never measured. But good point, what I consider thick may actually be nothing!
@Entangled Thanks for the tips, I had no idea about how to go about it,
I'll try measuring it tomorrow and post the results :) Thanks!

@Fia very good points, I may give them a shot now after reading what you wrote. Always wanted to try them, i've seen some lovely ones for sale before, but assumed that they would never work for long hair. Will also look into the U pins, Thanks!

@Enting I have not yet no, I assumed they would actually make it worse haha, but as you logically put it, 3 would be better than one (comfort wise). Although I'm trying to stay away from elaborate or time consuming hairstyles, just as I'm limited to time most mornings. May give the simple multiple bun idea another shot though, thanks :)

@Anje I usually have em pretty low down, so that it rests on my shoulders, with that it's not too bad. I also agree with the not having a bun above the ears, it's an absolute nightmare. Will investigate these octopus clips, thanks!

@meteor & @Vivalagina hmm haven't considered the dutch braids, I never considered them an option, since they looked so tight and uncomfortable. But If you guys recommend them i'll look up a couple tutorials on youtube and have a go.

Thank you so much to everyone who posted a reply, I'm really keen on trying out some of these new hair ideas! Especially the hair sticks/forks.
I'll post measurement's hopefully tomorrow for the people who mentioned them.

Jo Ann
May 17th, 2017, 09:24 AM
If you're using ponytail holders and/or bobby pins to secure a bun, no wonder you're in pain!

I'm a BIG fan of hair sticks (and I keep a set of chopsticks in my glove compartment, just in case :p )--see Fia's post above/on page one for reasons why.

Some LHC'ers have videos you can check out for different buns:

https://www.youtube.com/user/4ypn0tica/videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige/videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/SarahlabyrinthLHC/videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige/videos)

Don't let their hair lengths fool you--I've been able to do many of their buns with hair shorter than yours ;) Feel free to experiment!

lapushka
May 17th, 2017, 10:15 AM
Another consideration: Where are you positioning your buns on your head? Most people have less discomfort with low buns than with higher ones. It doesn't pull the hair so far out of its usual position. Otherwise, you can gradually get yourself used to a new position with increasing amounts of time up (30 minutes one day, 45 minutes the next...), but a lot of us don't really position hair much higher than our ears.

I certainly agree that hairsticks or forks are more comfortable than securing a bun with an elastic. They pull a lot less. Many people also really like claw clips of various types (the flat-bottomed octopus ones are nice, I think) and they have a bit less of a learning curve.

Yep slightly equal to above my ears is where my bun is. It's kind of a sweet spot, because I've been wearing my bun there *for years*. I, however, wouldn't be able to wear it anywhere else (too uncomfortable). So it's often a matter of finding that "sweet spot" on your head too.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
May 18th, 2017, 05:40 AM

Katrinnč stops to measure height of bun. Doing this three times.

Yep correct. But as the bun layers around it does get slightly higher than the ears.
My bun is just right, not tight. I am able to wiggle it with my hands. I also always adjust strands so that there is no pulling.

WavyWannabe
May 18th, 2017, 06:17 AM
Some buns are also more comfortable than others due to their own shape. For example, I find the figure eight bun to be really comfortable (secured with a stick, a fork, or maybe some pins), since it is "anchored" to two areas of the scalp (upper and lower areas) instead of one.

hayheadsbird
May 18th, 2017, 10:42 AM
Katrinnč stops to measure height of bun. Doing this three times.

Yep correct. But as the bun layers around it does get slightly higher than the ears.
My bun is just right, not tight. I am able to wiggle it with my hands. I also always adjust strands so that there is no pulling.

Yes, I just checked as well. Fork is at ear hight, but with the layers around it's just short of the top of my head at the highest point.

I find top knots fairly comfortable as well, but I can only really do a cinnamon bun right on top of my head.

longhairmaiden
August 31st, 2019, 01:48 AM
I like doing buns but securing the ends is what is damaging mine.

What’s the best way to secure the ends? I can’t just tuck them in as it falls out. And Bobby pins and clips I feel damage the ends.

MusicalSpoons
August 31st, 2019, 05:56 AM
I like doing buns but securing the ends is what is damaging mine.

What’s the best way to secure the ends? I can’t just tuck them in as it falls out. And Bobby pins and clips I feel damage the ends.

How long and thick is your hair, what are you using to secure your buns, and what types of buns are you doing?

longhairmaiden
September 1st, 2019, 07:02 AM
I have 1b, N, ii, medium hair, belly button length.

I use a jersey type hairband with a small hair stick to do a figure 8 bun and have just been using Bobby pins to secure the ends in or a clip (but that looks a bit ugly but is quicker to do with less pins)

eresh
September 1st, 2019, 07:49 AM
My most favourite and most comfortable bun is the pinless braided bun with a stick or fork.
Simple as can be, but stays up all day without pulling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEQZPvvTqnk&list=PL2CD1F901E1BD723B&index=31&t=0s

ExpectoPatronum
September 1st, 2019, 12:20 PM
It's not the most hair-friendly style, but I like doing two buns - one on top, one on bottom. It helps distribute the weight of the hair instead of focusing it at one point.

longhairmaiden
September 1st, 2019, 12:43 PM
How long and thick is your hair, what are you using to secure your buns, and what types of buns are you doing?

I use a jersey type hairband with a small hair stick to do a figure 8 bun and have just been using Bobby pins to secure the ends in or a clip (but that looks a bit ugly but is quicker to do with less pins)

MusicalSpoons
September 2nd, 2019, 05:27 PM
Just shooing the gremlins, nothing to see here :whistle:

Edit: now we see your post, yay!

Maybe you need a bun with enough length left to wrap the ends around behind it - though that is easier with not a blunt hemline, and many of us do tend to prefer as blunt a hemline as possible. The pins are probably damaging like you say. Generally we recommend buns to protect the ends, but the method of securing is really important! I used to secure mine with a hair elastic and had to chop off ~6 inches of damaged ends every year and honestly thought it just didn't grow longer than tailbone :rolleyes: how thankful I am for LHC and discovering sticks and forks and liberation from hair ties!! :D

(Did we have this kind of discussion on another thread? I can't remember, it feels familiar.) Anyway, I recommend the Hairstyle Thesaurus https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145554 and also having a look through the relevant length thread(s), bellybutton length puts you probably somewhere between waist and hip :) but the shorter length thread (BSL to Waist?) will also help with bun ideas too.

Priska
April 26th, 2023, 09:13 AM
I'm totally in love with buns right now... Oh how easy they make my life! I've mostly been keeping braids because I think they keep tangles away a bit better than buns, and my hair used to be so tangled... You also must be able to brush your hair up to make a bun, and that was so stressful to me before. But now... I've found oils, and my hair is not so tangled anymore, so I dare use buns too. I'm so free! It's like I had no hair in my head at all! Now I see that braids were actually pretty disturbing if you compare them with buns. Hanging braids also made my hair so flat, despite the bobby pins I used. Buns are more in posture. I can have same bun maybe a few days and it looks ok.

I'm happy to be so exited about this! 😉 It's anyway spring!