PDA

View Full Version : How many inches from the scalp to just above the shoulders

Elvi28
May 16th, 2017, 05:08 AM
Hi everyone I'm so happy that I found this website I feel like there's so many people going through the same issue with hair and trying to grow it out some even trying to go out color which is what I'm trying to do so I have a question I'm getting married next July in 2018 and I got a bad hair color put in that I've been trying to fix since January so I've decided and promised myself and my mother that I wasn't going to color my hair anymore and just let it grow out.

I know the average hair growth is 6 inches in a year I'm not sure how fast or how slow my hair grows but usually I would say I don't normal rate although it's been one month and I can barely tell any growth

After my wedding I plan on cutting my hair to my shoulders so my question to you are is how many inches would you say from the scalp to the shoulders is do you think all of it would be Virgin by that time please help

lithostoic
May 16th, 2017, 05:16 AM
Unless we were standing behind you with a tape measure, there's no way of knowing. Not everyone is the same size, has the same length neck, has the same height of shoulders, etc.

Arctic
May 16th, 2017, 05:25 AM
Welcome and congratulation on your upcoming big day!

We usually measure starting from the forehead hairline, over the top of the head. This gives reliable starting point and comparable results. Typically shoulder length hair is about 18 inches measured this way (give or take depending on body proportions), I guess by taking off 5 or so inches would give the number you want.

It's a good starting point to assume you have approx avarage growth, it doesn't always happen like a clock work though. Some months might see more growth some barely anything. If your ends are damaged, they might be breaking off too.

Kake
May 16th, 2017, 05:32 AM
Welcome.

I'm not totally sure I understand your question, but I'll answer what I think you are asking. I think from my scalp to shoulder is around 17 inches (from forehead to ends). But as said above, it will vary from person to person.

If you've stopped dying now, not January, then that's just over a year to July 2018, and I don't think you'll have all virgin hair by then. From my own experience it will take a few months more than that. But your growth rate could be better than mine. I stopped dying Oct 2015 and I'm not fully virgin to shoulder. The hairs that have the furthest length (again from the front area) have dye at the ends.

Elvi28
May 16th, 2017, 01:58 PM
Welcome.

I'm not totally sure I understand your question, but I'll answer what I think you are asking. I think from my scalp to shoulder is around 17 inches (from forehead to ends). But as said above, it will vary from person to person.

If you've stopped dying now, not January, then that's just over a year to July 2018, and I don't think you'll have all virgin hair by then. From my own experience it will take a few months more than that. But your growth rate could be better than mine. I stopped dying Oct 2015 and I'm not fully virgin to shoulder. The hairs that have the furthest length (again from the front area) have dye at the ends.

Heil thank you for your responses yeah I'm not sure how long it'll take I think what really is freaking me out is the fact that when I'm in the sun my roots flare kind a like this Auburn reddish color and I really hate it it makes me feel so self-conscious and so ugly so I always have my hair up I really do think that once I get a few inches of regrowth by my roots it won't be that bad because it won't be so bright what do you all think?

I've done my calculations and if my hair in fact does the grill half an inch a month by my wedding it should be around 8 1/2 inches maybe nine so hopefully that's enough so that my face framing hair is my natural color.

Elvi28
May 16th, 2017, 01:59 PM
Hi all* that's what I meant lol!

Elvi28
May 16th, 2017, 02:01 PM
My current hair length right now is just below my shoulders I would say maybe 2 inches below it I'm not sure how many inches total that is but after my wedding I am willing to cut my hair too right above my shoulders I really want to have my natural hair color back I feel so self-conscious and I feel ugly

Prism
May 16th, 2017, 02:25 PM
It's hard to understand you because you're not using periods at the end of sentences. I find myself re-reading things.

My hair is shoulder length at 18.5 inches. Depending on your neck length, your hair could be anywhere around 16-19 inches.

Elvi28
May 16th, 2017, 02:35 PM
Sorry lol. I was using Siri while I was driving. So, I guess what I should do is say my hair issues since January with color. I got a bad balayage done and basically tried getting it fixed numerous times even seeing several stylist. Of course, they all say they can help, or the male you feel worse. I because fixated on trying to fix it to the point where now I can't do anything. The more I did the worse it got. Last month, I cut off about 3 inches or so because my ends were so damaged and ripping apart. I also had my last hair dye last month and my last one forever! I absolutely hate it! While it doesn't look so bad in certain lighting, if you get me outside it looks so bright.

So it's been 1 month and I don't even notice one bit of grow (measuring with color in the sun). My hair grows I would say at a normal rate.

Given that my wedding is in 15 months, I have calculated that I should have 8-9 inches of natural hair color. I'm hoping that's enough to frame the face and having the colored hair in a ponytail?

After my wedding I want to try and cut off as much color as possible without going too short ( I would like above should length hair).

I wish I could show you pictures. I haven't figured out how to.

lapushka
May 16th, 2017, 03:05 PM
15 months that is about 7 inches. Measure that from your part down. It will probably hit your jaw, or chin at that point, if you are going for a blunt cut; if you are doing layers then it will be much longer.

Elvi28
May 16th, 2017, 03:11 PM
This is my natural hair color. http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/laurenviejo/media/IMG_2097_zpst7dnobis.png.html

This is how it looks now after my hair dye last month. You will notice it looks normal in one lighting and reddish in another.

http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/laurenviejo/media/IMG_2103_zpsjwn3ep5y.jpg.html?filters[user]=146480032&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/laurenviejo/media/IMG_2104_zpsicbakxqg.jpg.html?filters[user]=146480032&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2

I hope this worked!!! Lol

Thank you so much for everyone responding. This has even caused me some depression and anxiety (a bit better now)

lapushka
May 16th, 2017, 03:19 PM
This is my natural hair color. http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/laurenviejo/media/IMG_2097_zpst7dnobis.png.html

This is how it looks now after my hair dye last month. You will notice it looks normal in one lighting and reddish in another.

http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/laurenviejo/media/IMG_2103_zpsjwn3ep5y.jpg.html?filters[user]=146480032&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/laurenviejo/media/IMG_2104_zpsicbakxqg.jpg.html?filters[user]=146480032&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2

I hope this worked!!! Lol

Thank you so much for everyone responding. This has even caused me some depression and anxiety (a bit better now)

I linked the images. This might work better!

Elvi28
May 16th, 2017, 03:23 PM
Just measured from my roots to the bottom it's about 16-17 inches and the shortest layer being 10.

Elvi28
May 16th, 2017, 03:25 PM
Thank you!

lapushka
May 16th, 2017, 03:46 PM
Thank you!

Oh don't worry about it! You're welcome! :D

Suze
May 16th, 2017, 03:59 PM
It doesn't look bad at all in your pictures! :flower:

Elvi28
May 16th, 2017, 04:40 PM
Aw, thanks! Idk why I'm so hard on myself. I just hate that red undertones and I'm scared of two things: 1. It not matching my natural color and 2. It looking bad for my graduation pictures and wedding/engagement pictures.

Suze
May 16th, 2017, 04:49 PM
Yes, I wanted to mention that: are you perhaps hyper focusing on your hair to deal with the stress? Congratulatiions btw! :flowers: Honesly I only see beautiful hair, from what I can see of it anyway. And most (if not all) hair colors will look different under different lighting.

Dark40
May 16th, 2017, 05:05 PM
12 months is 6 inches. Measuring from the hairline on down.

Lady Stardust
May 16th, 2017, 05:15 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you've been so anxious about your hair. I echo what others are saying here, I think your hair looks lovely and maybe you're just hyper aware of the colour, it really isn't so noticeable and doesn't look bad at all.

Planning a wedding can become stressful if you let it, but there are ways to minimise the stress. If you find yourself obsessing over small details to the point that it's upsetting you, just step away from the wedding magazines and have a couple of days or a week off from making any kind of wedding plans at all. That short break can make all the difference.

When it comes down to it, all that matters is that you and your fiancé turn up and say your vows, everything else is just window dressing. It's easy to feel pressurised into everything being perfect, but life ain't like that :-)

Congratulations on your engagement. Relax, and enjoy it!

Elvi28
May 16th, 2017, 05:15 PM
Yes, Suze... unfortunately I do think that i'm overthinking... in fact, thats what everyone tells me. Seeing old pictures of my natural beautiful hair makes me crave it more. The hard part is being patient. Is the first year the hardest? I can't wait to start noticing my natural color grow so I can get excited! Thank you the congrats! Im very excited for the wedding and hoping my hair will look fine in pictures.

lithostoic
May 16th, 2017, 05:52 PM
You could always fade the dye and recolor it to match your roots (while not putting dye on your roots of course). Dye fading methods can be damaging and drying but proper hair care otherwise as well as deep conditioning treatments should save your hair from too much harm.

akurah
May 16th, 2017, 10:19 PM
Sorry lol. I was using Siri while I was driving. So, I guess what I should do is say my hair issues since January with color. I got a bad balayage done and basically tried getting it fixed numerous times even seeing several stylist. Of course, they all say they can help, or the male you feel worse. I because fixated on trying to fix it to the point where now I can't do anything. The more I did the worse it got. Last month, I cut off about 3 inches or so because my ends were so damaged and ripping apart. I also had my last hair dye last month and my last one forever! I absolutely hate it! While it doesn't look so bad in certain lighting, if you get me outside it looks so bright.

So it's been 1 month and I don't even notice one bit of grow (measuring with color in the sun). My hair grows I would say at a normal rate.

Given that my wedding is in 15 months, I have calculated that I should have 8-9 inches of natural hair color. I'm hoping that's enough to frame the face and having the colored hair in a ponytail?

After my wedding I want to try and cut off as much color as possible without going too short ( I would like above should length hair).

I wish I could show you pictures. I haven't figured out how to.

Uh.

Please do not use your phone while driving to post here, or anywhere. You can kill yourself or someone else.

Elvi28
May 17th, 2017, 04:46 AM
Uh.

Please do not use your phone while driving to post here, or anywhere. You can kill yourself or someone else.

Hi thank you! I'm very much aware, however I wasn't actually driving. My fiancé was. :).

Kake
May 17th, 2017, 06:07 AM
Yes, Suze... unfortunately I do think that i'm overthinking... in fact, thats what everyone tells me. Seeing old pictures of my natural beautiful hair makes me crave it more. The hard part is being patient. Is the first year the hardest? I can't wait to start noticing my natural color grow so I can get excited! Thank you the congrats! Im very excited for the wedding and hoping my hair will look fine in pictures.
I think the 1st 6 mths-1yr is the hardest part. When the fringe I had then was all colour free it looked better. After 15 months you should be able to put it up and hide the colour, or most of it. I couldn't see your photos, so I may be wrong, but your colour may fade over time and annoy you less.

lapushka
May 17th, 2017, 06:41 AM
Hi thank you! I'm very much aware, however I wasn't actually driving. My fiancé was. :).

That's not what your post says, though. ;) :p

Elvi28
May 17th, 2017, 07:37 AM
Hopefully :( this has me down. I'm not even the same person anymore and I hate going out...

I also just noticed that it isn't what my post said. I don't text and drive... my friend did pass away like that so I am fearful when it comes to that.

Anyways, thank you girls for the motivation and the inspiration, it is in fact help me feel better knowing it will grow and that hair changes and grows with time. At this time next year I'm sure my hair will be different.

Kake
May 17th, 2017, 08:38 AM
Hopefully :( this has me down. I'm not even the same person anymore and I hate going out...

I also just noticed that it isn't what my post said. I don't text and drive... my friend did pass away like that so I am fearful when it comes to that.

Anyways, thank you girls for the motivation and the inspiration, it is in fact help me feel better knowing it will grow and that hair changes and grows with time. At this time next year I'm sure my hair will be different.

It will change, you're right. You might be surprised how much small changes affect how you feel about it. I predict that you'll feel better sooner than than you think.

Elvi28
May 17th, 2017, 04:32 PM
And what do you mean by the fringe?

_anya
June 5th, 2017, 01:16 PM
And what do you mean by the fringe?
If I'm not mistaken, "fringe" is basically the hair infront that grows right above your forehead. Depending on the length, it hangs down to shape your face and is also another word for bangs (British term). HTH! :)