PDA

View Full Version : Is having the same parting bad?

Nbvoid97
May 15th, 2017, 11:26 AM
I have only been growing my hair for about 14-15months. It's at shoulder length at the moment and for the past 6 months I have been rocking a part in the centre and tucking my hair behind my ears.

Is having the same parting for long periods of time bad? My hair naturally parts like this, even when it's wet and I try to mess around with it, it always goes back to this part. It's not really a problem for me because I like it with this part and I haven't really tried to make a side part but I'm wondering if it can cause any harm?

Anje
May 15th, 2017, 12:47 PM
I've heard of some people getting thinning along their part, but I don't think it's all that common. Definitely don't pull your hair super-tight -- if it hurts, take down your hair and change the style. Don't tough it out, because if you're going to end up with traction alopecia, that's how you get it! But I don't think my hair is any thinner along the center where it liked to part when I left it alone, or off to the left a bit where I tried to part it because it looked better... If anything, it's still slightly thicker on the left (all over, not just where the part lay).

unheardletters
May 15th, 2017, 12:50 PM
I've never experienced any problems from parting my hair. It's been the same part for 30+ years.

Deborah
May 15th, 2017, 01:33 PM
I don't think it does any damage.

lapushka
May 15th, 2017, 01:51 PM
If it falls where it naturally wants to part, it's better than dragging a rattail (from a comb) through it for parting it (even though that isn't bad in itself either). If you just tuck it behind your ears, you're not placing tension on the part, so it's *fine*!

Don't worry. :)

BraidFreak
May 15th, 2017, 03:10 PM
I must say I've never really though about this lol. I've personally never noticed any thinning around my parting but it makes some sense that it can happen. I wouldn't worry about it unless you actually notice your hair becoming thinner.

Hairkay
May 16th, 2017, 12:57 PM
I can't say I've noticed a problem with mine. I can get a centre part easily since that had been done since early childhood. I've seen a few people who said this was beneficial to them because they could just recycle the part resulting in low manipulation For some the less manipulation the better they return their usual length and hair thickness.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
May 16th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Too much manipulation can cause your hair to recede at the parting. Future DIL tends to constantly change her BCL hair during the day with her fingers changing style from right to left and then back again as she does not like it looking too flat. And has noticed the hairline receding at the points of constant contact. She neither wears it up nor ties it back. Her hair is always loose.