PDA

View Full Version : "Toning" henna'd hair with Arctic Fox purple diluted... anyone attempted this?

ladylovecraft
May 15th, 2017, 09:10 AM
Hello all!

So, I love my henna'd hair and don't plan on ever going back to other forms of dye (8 years strong now!), but I'm interested in seeing if I can "tone" the red to a cooler toned red by diluting something like Arctic Fox dye in conditioner. I use hennasooq's red raj, so it's not very orange to begin with.

Before henna, I used to use special effects dye and I'm shocked at how they don't seem to exist anymore(?!), but Arctic Fox seems to have taken their spot in the unnatural hair dye world.

I want a cooler-toned red because I have very neutral toned skin, but all of the colors I seem to like wearing are cool toned and it clashes a little. I'm also ridiculously fair skinned, and I just love how cool toned reds look on very fair ladies :D

Whenever I do this I'll add photos, but I've got a rather packed day today so it probably won't happen just yet.

Wreckinbelle
May 15th, 2017, 09:31 AM
Have you tried a purple shampoo? I know Sally Beauty carries a nice one!

Arctic
May 15th, 2017, 09:57 AM
Make sure you know what colours the purple is made of, I have heared the shock colours are not always made of in a way a basic watercolour mixing happens (basic colour theory), and purple could contain, for example, green - which in turn would neutralise red. I have seen people successfully using wine reds over henna for cool reds, and I've seen people using blue to make henna brown. I am definitely NOT an expert of any kind, but I would personally opt for cool wine reds or cool hot pinks over henna rather than purples. Remember to strand test first.

pastina
May 15th, 2017, 10:27 AM
Special Fx still exists, it's what I use. <3 There were some issues with distribution for a while because they moved their warehouse? For months and months, they kept pushing back their timeline as to when colors would be back in stock.... and when they finally were ready for business, they only had certain colors. Tbh, the whole explanation from the company was confusing. But, they've been back up and running for a while now!

MotherofJames
May 15th, 2017, 10:46 AM
This is in interesting thread. I am going to follow and subscribe to this .Im curious to see what people have done to tone down the Red in Henna. Very good question! I know only of toning Henna to light or dark brown but never purple! Pretty cool if its attainable! :slap:

akurah
May 15th, 2017, 11:56 AM
I used ManicPanic back when I hennaed. I usually mixed it in with henna (after dye release) for both whole head and touchup/roots. I also had many, many layers of henna, more than most people would put on. My hair was such burgundy it could look purple indoors. Still very henna bright in the sun though.

MotherofJames
May 15th, 2017, 12:11 PM
I used ManicPanic back when I hennaed. I usually mixed it in with henna (after dye release) for both whole head and touchup/roots. I also had many, many layers of henna, more than most people would put on. My hair was such burgundy it could look purple indoors. Still very henna bright in the sun though.

That sounds gorgeous ! a bright purple indoors!

akurah
May 15th, 2017, 12:37 PM
That sounds gorgeous ! a bright purple indoors!

No. Not bright. Very dark purple. My hair is medium brown outdoors in sun but medium dark to dark brown indoors.

Anje
May 15th, 2017, 12:40 PM
I tried a violet shade of purple, rather dark (Adore Purple Rage) over my hennaed medium-brown hair, hoping that the red of the henna would pull it all a deep warm purple. What I got was hard to distinguish from black, but shone purple in sunlight. Based on that, I would suggest that you go with a much more red-purple than I did, or go with something pink to just cool the henna down a little. Diluting a darker purple might work, but it's a weird balancing act between getting it to show up and ending up too dark.

MotherofJames
May 15th, 2017, 12:45 PM
No. Not bright. Very dark purple. My hair is medium brown outdoors in sun but medium dark to dark brown indoors.

Oh okay ! Still so pretty ! I can envision it . I'm a purple lover lol

MotherofJames
May 15th, 2017, 12:46 PM
I tried a violet shade of purple, rather dark (Adore Purple Rage) over my hennaed medium-brown hair, hoping that the red of the henna would pull it all a deep warm purple. What I got was hard to distinguish from black, but shone purple in sunlight. Based on that, I would suggest that you go with a much more red-purple than I did, or go with something pink to just cool the henna down a little. Diluting a darker purple might work, but it's a weird balancing act between getting it to show up and ending up too dark.

That's a great idea !

Robot Ninja
May 15th, 2017, 12:50 PM
Using a not-so-pigmented purple dye over chemically dyed red hair made it brown. Both MP Purple Haze and the Ion stuff from Sally's gave me brown. It wasn't henna, but still, orangey red + purple make brown. I'd suggest trying a cooler, purply red rather than actual purple.

spidermom
May 15th, 2017, 02:18 PM
Using a pink might be pretty cool.

pastina
May 15th, 2017, 08:57 PM
Honestly, pink over orangey red gives you RED-red. Fire engine/stop sign realness.

Alex Lou
May 15th, 2017, 11:38 PM
Using a not-so-pigmented purple dye over chemically dyed red hair made it brown. Both MP Purple Haze and the Ion stuff from Sally's gave me brown. It wasn't henna, but still, orangey red + purple make brown. I'd suggest trying a cooler, purply red rather than actual purple.

Now that you mention it... there was a time when I dyed my natural red hair purple as a teenager. At first it was purple, but as it faded, it looked brownish.

I suppose it might depend on whether it's a purple on the blue side or the red side.

I'm also interested in toning my color to be cooler. I guess I've decided that it would be too difficult to consistently get the results I want with bright hair dyes. The purple shampoo I tried may have just been a poor quality shampoo but I really didn't like it and it didn't make any difference as far as I could tell. Plus it made my tub look dirty.