PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Oil

peachfairy
May 12th, 2017, 12:44 PM
Hello,
I'm new to the long hair community so it's nice to meet you!
Today I bought some coconut oil for my hair after hearing on multiple YouTube videos that it was good to help with hair growth. Is there any particular way I should apply it? And, does anyone have any tips on using coconut oil that might increase my chances of success with it?
Thank you! 🐥

ShilvaA
May 12th, 2017, 12:48 PM
Definitely warm it up before applying! I also just apply a bit to the ends of my hair everyday to help protect them from too much damage from rubbing on my work polo etc.
It smells so wonderful, I love it!

Prism
May 12th, 2017, 12:56 PM
I like to take my finger and scratch the surface of the oil, then rub it between my hands to melt it. Then I spread it on my hair from root to ends followed by donning a plastic cap and using my heated cap. It requires a good wash after that to get the oil out, but it's always so much softer when I'm finished.

Aredhel
May 12th, 2017, 01:23 PM
If you've never used it before, use with caution. The first (and only) time I tried it, I shed a LOT and lost a lot of hair. I'd avoid putting any on your scalp if you have an oily scalp and thin hair. Also it's not a miracle elixir that will magically help your hair grow faster, but it can definitely nourish your hair and scalp to aid you in growing healthier hair. :)

Nique1202
May 12th, 2017, 06:03 PM
Nothing you apply to your scalp will really help with hair growth, except for medicated shampoos to treat scalp conditions. Coconut oil works great for some people to help protect the length and ends hair from friction and mechanical damage, which reduces breakage for some folks from those causes, which makes it seem like it's increasing growth.

Things to beware of:
-Some people can't use coconut oil at all, because it makes their hair crunchy and makes it susceptible to break off even more.
-Some people get a lot of shedding if they use ANY oil on their scalp, for reasons nobody has ever quite explained scientifically. If you shed more after using oil or conditioner on your scalp, STOP, and clarify thoroughly until all the oil is gone. The extra shed hair will start regrowing in a couple of months.
-Some people just get greasy hair faster after using oil on their scalp, and it doesn't always wash out well depending on your cleansing method and how much you use.
-Some people can't use or don't like coconut oil's effects, but get some benefits from using other oils on their ends and sometimes on the mid-lengths of the hair.

Basically if something isn't working the way you want it to, don't force it. There's usually another option to get what you want, but you have to listen to what your scalp needs first, what your length needs second, and what you want to do sometimes has to come in third.

Cherriezzzzz
May 12th, 2017, 06:17 PM
Glad I read this. I was going to start coconut oiling my hair, but I'll just start on the ends first. Then a bit on my scalp to check for any reactions! I've had a sensitive scalp in my recent past. Softer hair I could def go for though. I think I'll stick with inversion method massage in the shower. My roots are oily too...

lithostoic
May 12th, 2017, 07:32 PM
Do a patch test! Some people can't use it on their scalp. Personally I don't need to oil my scalp, so I just focus everywhere else :P Last night I oiled from the nape down and tonight I just did the last 5 or 6 inches. I braid my hair after oiling.

spidermom
May 12th, 2017, 08:03 PM
I don't use oil on my scalp, but a modest application of coconut oil through the length the night before I wash my hair makes it feel both strong and silky after washing/drying. A few days ago my hair looked dried out and frazzled, so I used a modest scrape of coconut oil massaged, then combed through my hair and it tamed that frazzled look right down. I think coconut oil is nice stuff, but I wouldn't overdo it, and I would never want it on my scalp (unless I've been swimming in chlorinated pools and the sea plus running around in the sun, which dries out my scalp).

lizardspots
May 12th, 2017, 08:53 PM
Reiterating what everyone else has said above. Coconut oil doesn't work for everyone. I use the tiniest little bit on the last 6 inches of my hair every day for softness and slip. But using it on my scalp was a disaster, as was a heavy oiling pre-shampoo. I just couldn't get the oil out and ended up causing more mechanical damage to my hair through vigorous scrubbing in the shower.

The only way you'll find out is by experimenting. Good luck! :blossom:

Borgessa
May 12th, 2017, 09:11 PM
Use some conditioner on the hair - dampen your hair a little, put conditioner in your hair, leave it for a little while, then shampoo and condition as normal, that will help lift the oil out of your hair, I think conditioner does a better job at removing the oils, and you don't really want to be shampooing your length anyway..

Kat-Rinnč Naido
May 13th, 2017, 12:10 AM
I don't use coconut oil on my scalp, except if I am doing a scalp treatment. But then I dilute the coconut oil with another oil.
At first when I started using coconut oil my scalp used to get extremely itchy for weeks after it had been washed out. Therefore be aware of that.

However my hair loves coconut oil I only apply from below ears down and it is absorbed by the next day.
Good luck:blossom:

Cassandre Brave
May 13th, 2017, 07:27 AM
Well, as a lot of members said, be carefull with coconut oil. ^^ Sometimes you scalp doesn't need something, so it shows clearly that it doesn't like it. =/

However, if you are curious, you can try this: mix coconut oil with coconut milk, apply it on your lenghts and massage your scalp with this if you want to, and you may see a difference. Your hair will be a bit protected, at least. ;) I really like this method, as after using it, my hair smells so good! :crush:

[Today, I tried something new and strange (I like to discover new things!): mayonnaise as a conditionner (I mixed it with coconut milk & oil, plus some actives agents), but... Well... The smell is really... Special. And I think I put too much things in my "potion": my lenghts are completely oily. =_='' But it was an experiment: next time, I must see the result with only a nut of mayonnaise, and nothing else. If in this way it work, maybe I should write something about it. Except if someone did it before me. :p]

I hope that you will have no issues with your hair and coconut oil. ;)

lapushka
May 13th, 2017, 07:58 AM
Hello,
I'm new to the long hair community so it's nice to meet you!
Today I bought some coconut oil for my hair after hearing on multiple YouTube videos that it was good to help with hair growth. Is there any particular way I should apply it? And, does anyone have any tips on using coconut oil that might increase my chances of success with it?
Thank you! ��

1/ There is no miracle hair growth product out there (the world would know about it) ;)
2/ Some scalps can't tolerate oils and will shed more.
3/ The same goes for conditioner on the scalp.

So test it out carefully. And if you use it as a pre-poo, and saturate your hair with it, saturate it to the point where it will still wash out without a hiccup.

For an after wash treatment, just a pea size amount is good, distribute through lengths. That's it.

lapushka
May 13th, 2017, 07:59 AM
PS/ For all the newbies on here. There are a few threads in the "new" section that might come in handy. :flower:

LoveSnap
May 13th, 2017, 08:35 AM
I only use coconut oil when my hair is super tangled. I generously coat my dry, dirty hair in the coconut oil followed by a generous application of conditioner. As I rinse to prepare for washing, the shed hairs just slide out and the tangles melt away. When I actually do my regular detangling after shampooing that is also 1,000xs easier to do as well.

Other than this occasional use, I am not a member of the coconut cult.

lapushka
May 13th, 2017, 08:53 AM
I only use coconut oil when my hair is super tangled. I generously coat my dry, dirty hair in the coconut oil followed by a generous application of conditioner. As I rinse to prepare for washing, the shed hairs just slide out and the tangles melt away. When I actually do my regular detangling after shampooing that is also 1,000xs easier to do as well.

Other than this occasional use, I am not a member of the coconut cult.

LOL; that made my LOL so much! :D :lol:

Kat
May 15th, 2017, 09:48 AM
Use some conditioner on the hair - dampen your hair a little, put conditioner in your hair, leave it for a little while, then shampoo and condition as normal, that will help lift the oil out of your hair, I think conditioner does a better job at removing the oils, and you don't really want to be shampooing your length anyway..

Yes, this.

Also, I've seen people here say coconut oil makes their hair smell bad. Also worth thinking about/testing.

(Me, I use coconut oil for everything from hair to deodorant {coconut oil and baking soda} to body moisturizer/soother {like after shaving} to female things and it works fine for me, but that's not true for everyone, and you can say that about any oil.)

Cherriezzzzz
May 15th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Tried coconut oil on my mid length thru ends... and I'm in love haha! I'm using the LOC styling method, but with oil, leave in, and now I'll be daily adding a but of coconut oil to my ends/frizzy pretty layer of my hair. I'm sold. I feel no need to use it on my scalp as I'm using the inversion method to stimulate hair growth. I used sunflower oil and that was a disaster. 6 shampoos got it out :( it did make my skin very soft though?

MotherofJames
May 15th, 2017, 10:42 AM
Tried coconut oil on my mid length thru ends... and I'm in love haha! I'm using the LOC styling method, but with oil, leave in, and now I'll be daily adding a but of coconut oil to my ends/frizzy pretty layer of my hair. I'm sold. I feel no need to use it on my scalp as I'm using the inversion method to stimulate hair growth. I used sunflower oil and that was a disaster. 6 shampoos got it out :( it did make my skin very soft though?

im so happy you mentioned Sunflower Oil. I was about to try that this week and been hesitant. I dont think Im going to do that now , yikes!

ghanima
May 15th, 2017, 10:57 AM
I actually LOVE sunflower oil. I apply it warm, on damp hair, only on the tips. They drink it up like no other oil. Lately I haven't needed to do it but just saying it's very subjective as usual. The only way to know is try it out.

BraidFreak
May 15th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Hello! I apply it two different ways. If I'm braiding my hair I might put just a tiny bit in the palm of my hands, rub them together to heat it up and then apply some to my ends and finish braiding. If it's hair wash day then I'll heat some up in the microwave and apply it to my hair that way.

My hair is alright with coconut oil. In the past I noticed my hair got dry when using it but that hasn't happened in the last few months so I think it's fine now. Good luck!

Cherriezzzzz
May 15th, 2017, 08:22 PM
It's crazy how different hair reacts to diff oils! I think I'm part of the Coconut Cult :) hehe! I'm wearing it again this evening. Washing with water only tomorrow though. Along with my coconut oil tonight I've used my panthenol spray to get the oil to go even deeper into my hair! Im also thinking about trying vatika coconut hair oil. I heard it smells good and for me it's COCONUT based haha

esfand
May 19th, 2017, 07:49 AM
I loved coconut oil, but it only works if I use it occasionally. If I use it too much, my hair starts getting really dry. I use it once a month.

Ondine11
May 19th, 2017, 09:45 AM
Lots of good advice here already. I use coconut oil on my ends, & it works instant wonders. DO NOT use it as a heat protectant if you flat iron or blow dry. You will be cooking your hair!!!

Many people experience hair shedding from massaging too much oil into their scalps. Same happens to many people who always co-wash. Chaz Dean, the maker of WEN products, just settled a massive class action suit out of court with a group of women who got noticeable bald spots from using the product (double-yikes!!!) The lawyer in the suit (supported by dermatologists) claim that the product occludes the follicles, eventually causing shedding & preventing new hair from growing out.

When I do a scalp massage, I use no more than a teaspoon of coconut oil & several drops of rosemary essential oil & lavender essential oil, or I do a tea tree, lavender eucalyptus blend in the tsp of oil. Essential oils are NOT truly oils, as they are water soluble.

Another thing to do with the melted coconut oil, is to rub a little into your fingernails & toenails (without polish on them,of course) & your cuticles.

Dark40
May 20th, 2017, 02:45 PM
I think coconut oil does help with moisturizing the hair to protect it from mechanical damage, and it helps it with hair growth. Because, I apply it to my hair sometimes from roots to tips, and it has helped my hair with growth over a period of time.

ShilvaA
May 20th, 2017, 02:47 PM
Sitting here with coconut oil in my hair right now!

Hoping that it adds some moisture to my dry ends! :)

reilly0167
May 25th, 2017, 07:35 AM
I used to use coconut oil only for a long while til I noticed my ends were getting dry crunchy feeling. Then I switched to avocado oil and it works just fine, its been a few months using it and my hair lives it. Once in a while I add a tiny bit of it in my oil mix of castor, jojoba, sweet almond oil, when I do hot oil treatments or oil rinsing.

bjt
May 25th, 2017, 08:06 AM
Good advice already mentioned, but I'd like to add that be aware that your hair/scalp needs can change over time. I used to use coconut oil all the time with good results. A few years ago my body changed and my hair/scalp are now more delicate. the coconut oil really bothers my scalp--it burns and causes major shedding. so I don't use it anymore. I use some aragon & jojoba oil on my ends sometimes but not often.

Hippuris
May 25th, 2017, 02:04 PM
Yikes. I had no idea oils can be harmful if applied to the scalp. I just bought my first jar of coconut oil last week and I have used it to my scalp only once. I may not do that again because it didn't seem to do anything for me and I really do not want to start shedding right now.

I thought I had researched coconut oil before buying it, but I didn't even know that it can dry hair. So thanks for this info, I'll be careful and see how my lenghts like the oil.

SnowDancer
May 25th, 2017, 05:21 PM
I put oil on my head maybe once every few months. It's usually coconut and I leave it on for a few hours. I slept with it in once... that was messy. The bag came off and EVERYTHING was greasy.