PDA

View Full Version : Do you keep a record of products you've tried?

Prism
May 12th, 2017, 10:07 AM
Since deciding to grow my hair long again I've been trying lots of different shampoos, conditioners and leave-ins. I don't want to repurchase something accidentally after finding it's not for me, and I doubt I'll remember a year or two from now. Do you keep some kind of record of what you've tried to help you remember?

Fia
May 12th, 2017, 11:04 AM
I did as I was trying out different s/c and leave-ins to see what was working for my hair. Those notes are long gone and I'm sticking to what's working and have done so for a good period of time.

Arctic
May 12th, 2017, 11:10 AM
I did years ago (in my blog), in very detailed manner typing down (or copy/pasting) INCIs and all. I don't do that so much any more, and I do tend to remember which products I've tried before. It is very educational and informative at best.

One thing to remember when experimenting, although I'm sure you know this seeing you are and old member, is to try only one new thing at a time. Otherwise it's impossible to know what works.

Prism
May 12th, 2017, 11:38 AM
I did years ago (in my blog), in very detailed manner typing down (or copy/pasting) INCIs and all. I don't do that so much any more, and I do tend to remember which products I've tried before. It is very educational and informative at best.

One thing to remember when experimenting, although I'm sure you know this seeing you are and old member, is to try only one new thing at a time. Otherwise it's impossible to know what works.

Thanks for your post. Yes, I've seen that advice, but haven't always heeded it. I think I'll use my blog as you did. I was hoping there is a way to search the blog later for a product name, but it doesn't look like there is.

Arctic
May 12th, 2017, 12:05 PM
There sure is a way to search you blog. Firstly you can categorise and use tags, and secondly, you can use the advanced search method. I'll come back in a minute to post how.

Prism
May 12th, 2017, 12:06 PM
There sure is a way to search you blog. Firstly you can categorise and use tags, and secondly, you can use the advanced search method. I'll come back in a minute to post how.

Oh great! Thanks, Arctic!

Arctic
May 12th, 2017, 12:08 PM
Ok, here's how:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/search.php?search_type=1#ads=19

Link leads to custom search. I hope it works. If not, choose:

- custom search
- choose the tab "search single content type"
- choose: search type: blog entries
- blog posted by: Prism [your user name] (click "exact name")
- choose: sort by relevance

- add search words

PS. you can also save these as your search preference, so every time you go to the search page these settings are there ready, including your user name. I have personally added a link to this search page at the side bar of my blog for easy access.

Prism
May 12th, 2017, 12:19 PM
Ok, here's how:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/search.php?search_type=1#ads=19

Link leads to custom search. I hope it works. If not, choose:

- custom search
- choose the tab "search single content type"
- choose: search type: blog entries
- blog posted by: Prism [your user name] (click "exact name")

- add search words

PS. you can also save these as your search preference, so every time you go to the search page these settings are there ready, including your user name. I have personally added a link to this search page at the side bar of my blog for easy access.

Works like a charm! Thank you so much! I've bookmarked it for future use.

WillOTree
May 12th, 2017, 12:44 PM
My list is in my head. I seem to have a very short memory sometimes. :doh: I really should write what my hair likes down.

goneJackal
May 12th, 2017, 12:50 PM
Unfortunately, I don't.
I was just yesterday trying to remember a conditioner I tried (and liked) last year, but I couldn't. http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_chorandoNovo.gif

sumidha
May 12th, 2017, 12:55 PM
No, I'm definitely not that organized, I just keep kind of a mental list in the back of my brain. But I also don't experiment very much, so it's a short list. :P

Aredhel
May 12th, 2017, 01:29 PM
I have never kept a hair experiment record, but that's actually a great idea... I'm surprised I've never thought of doing this.:)

Andthetalltrees
May 12th, 2017, 02:23 PM
No, I tend to not use that many products and I'm not particularly picky.

lapushka
May 12th, 2017, 03:18 PM
Since deciding to grow my hair long again I've been trying lots of different shampoos, conditioners and leave-ins. I don't want to repurchase something accidentally after finding it's not for me, and I doubt I'll remember a year or two from now. Do you keep some kind of record of what you've tried to help you remember?

Yep, I weekly wash, so I "record" my product use in my blog every week. It is *very* repetitive, bar from the products, but the method is the same, and the techniques too. That's how I know what conditioners were moisturizing enough, what stylers are nice.

You could also just write about a particular product in your blog, so you can keep track. The blogging system on here is wonderful!

Hay_jules
May 12th, 2017, 03:31 PM
I keep track but not consistently. I have a little hair notebook where a jot down things i try or want to try. For me im a lists person and i like to write so i prefer my notebook to the blog but i have done a few blog entries too. But i have a cupboard full of old, barely used products that I may or may not like and i have no memory of what i like/dislike or why. So basically I'm starting from scratch with that stuff too. I think most who don't keep track are ones that have already established what works for them for the most part. When you're starting out and trying so many new products, routines and such it helps a lot to keep track.

lithostoic
May 12th, 2017, 04:44 PM
No, it's not that important to me and (generally) I always use the same products.

Cherriezzzzz
May 12th, 2017, 06:21 PM
I find a brand I like first, then go through the whole line of products. It's fun. Lol. Then you only have yup remember which brands you have used.

Anje
May 12th, 2017, 06:30 PM
No, though I didn't go nuts trying things, so it hasn't been too many to keep track of. One thing I do recommend is getting in the habit of reading ingredients. You get to know that when you see certain ones, you can expect good or bad results, eventually.

If I were starting fresh, I'd probably snap pics of the ingredient labels and stash them in an album (like Google photos). Then I'd have a reference for reformulations.

lizardspots
May 12th, 2017, 06:41 PM
I have started using my LHC blog for this. :-)

Dark40
May 12th, 2017, 07:09 PM
Yes I do keep a record of what products I have tried. I have a whole stash of products that I've tried on my hair, and that likes them.

Prism
May 12th, 2017, 07:55 PM
Yes I do keep a record of what products I have tried. I have a whole stash of products that I've tried on my hair, and that likes them.

What's your method for keeping track? Do you have a notebook or something in which you record product info?

Ophidian
May 12th, 2017, 11:09 PM
Yep, I weekly wash, so I "record" my product use in my blog every week. It is *very* repetitive, bar from the products, but the method is the same, and the techniques too. That's how I know what conditioners were moisturizing enough, what stylers are nice.

You could also just write about a particular product in your blog, so you can keep track. The blogging system on here is wonderful!

I do this too and find it very helpful

lapushka
May 13th, 2017, 06:46 AM
I do this too and find it very helpful

Yeah, and of course you can start threads on a brand and fill it with your reviews whenever you try a new product from that brand. I've done it for Eco Styler recently, in case anyone's interested. There's a Cantu thread. There's a Garnier Whole Blends thread. A Garnier Fructis thread. There's the Shea Moisture thread. So, just write a review in the thread (good/bad).

hypersensitive
May 13th, 2017, 12:25 PM
That's what a hair journal is for! I have a list of products I've used, when time period I used it, the price, the price per ounce, and what I thought of it. I go old school and write it down in a paper journal.

janeytilllie
May 13th, 2017, 01:49 PM
When I post a hair photo in the hair album, I write in my current hair routine. I also have a hair journal with photos in tracking what routine and products used. :)

Prism
May 13th, 2017, 02:01 PM
That's what a hair journal is for! I have a list of products I've used, when time period I used it, the price, the price per ounce, and what I thought of it. I go old school and write it down in a paper journal.

Wow, you are so organized! I never thought of a paper journal; I guess I was just so used to doing things electronically. Right now I have a beautiful, unused purple Leuchtturm that would be perfect. The downside is that it wouldn't be searchable like an electronic record. I guess there are pros and cons to any method. Thanks for sharing!

truepeacenik
May 13th, 2017, 10:09 PM
I have a mental list.
I use one shampoo, but I'll rotate soap bars in and out.

I have a main conditioner, and one with cones, for occasional use, mainly on the last five inches or so.

Oils wise, it almost all seems the same. Coconut, oiive, almond, jojoba. I'll use what's close.

I found settling for good enough, a form of benign neglect in my eyes, makes maintaining my hair much easier.

Maybe now I can learn a few more updos.

hayheadsbird
May 14th, 2017, 01:26 AM
Wow, you are so organized! I never thought of a paper journal; I guess I was just so used to doing things electronically. Right now I have a beautiful, unused purple Leuchtturm that would be perfect. The downside is that it wouldn't be searchable like an electronic record. I guess there are pros and cons to any method. Thanks for sharing!

Leuchturm has an index, it's totally searchable! And as you go you can add in mini indexes if you need.
I use one for my hair/skin journal, but my record keeping is very basic. It would be easy enough to add in more info and still keep a working index though.

enting
May 20th, 2017, 03:07 PM
I keep track of some things on a file on my computer. I am definitely going to make sure to remember NOT to repurchase a specific shampoo I bought recently to experiment with. My scalp itched badly for days! It's fine on my length though, so I will be able to use it up (it has protein in it and makes my hair shinier).

Ondine11
May 20th, 2017, 04:32 PM
YES I DO!!! I began doing this back in Nov 2016 when I decided to get serious about growing out long, healthy hair. I would use a clarifying shampoo, then, try a new product for a couple of weeks & note my results. This helped me to see what really worked for me, & what, exactly, 'worked for' really meant. Some very expensive products people raved about fell flat for me. Others seemed to be great the first time, then, did something underhanded like fade colour. I spent so much testing products out, but, it was the only way I could really choose what was best with any degree of certainty. Sample sizes were too small to test over two weeks.

The most recent addition (about 1 month or so) is the Marc Anthony sulfate free Dry Argan oil (anti-frizz-heat protectant) The first time I used it, I was thrilled, BUT worried that it was a one-off thing. It just got better & better as I refined my usage technique. It is a cheap thrill I absolutely love.

Prism
May 21st, 2017, 10:59 PM
I keep track of some things on a file on my computer. I am definitely going to make sure to remember NOT to repurchase a specific shampoo I bought recently to experiment with. My scalp itched badly for days! It's fine on my length though, so I will be able to use it up (it has protein in it and makes my hair shinier).

Yikes. I feel itchy just thinking of it. Mine did that with some that were leaving a film on my head no matter how well I rinsed.

Prism
May 21st, 2017, 11:02 PM
YES I DO!!! I began doing this back in Nov 2016 when I decided to get serious about growing out long, healthy hair. I would use a clarifying shampoo, then, try a new product for a couple of weeks & note my results. This helped me to see what really worked for me, & what, exactly, 'worked for' really meant. Some very expensive products people raved about fell flat for me. Others seemed to be great the first time, then, did something underhanded like fade colour. I spent so much testing products out, but, it was the only way I could really choose what was best with any degree of certainty. Sample sizes were too small to test over two weeks.

The most recent addition (about 1 month or so) is the Marc Anthony sulfate free Dry Argan oil (anti-frizz-heat protectant) The first time I used it, I was thrilled, BUT worried that it was a one-off thing. It just got better & better as I refined my usage technique. It is a cheap thrill I absolutely love.

You sound very disciplined about it. I confess that I'm trying so many things at once that it's going to be hard to know what gave what results. I think I will take a tip from you and do my experiments on the first day following shampoo with a clarifying shampoo. At least that gives my tests the same starting point. Tfs!

hypersensitive
May 22nd, 2017, 02:06 AM
Thanks! It's not as beautifully organized as you think. I have terrible handwriting. Good thing I don't try out too much products and as long it's written down somewhere, I'm good to go.

enting
May 22nd, 2017, 06:46 AM
Prism I have no idea what was causing the itchies, but oh, it was bad.

I keep meaning to sit down and compare ingredients with other shampoos I have to possibly figure out what was the culprit ingredient(s). I'm not sure how possible that is to do, though. There are so many ingredients and so many possibilities. For all I know it could be the specific combination rather than any one ingredient.

esfand
May 22nd, 2017, 06:51 AM
I used to, but now I just buy whatever at the dollar store.