PDA

View Full Version : Are these clips damaging?

Borgessa
May 10th, 2017, 10:29 PM
I'm not even sure what these clips are called.. Snap? Barrettes? I have so many short flyaways around my ears, I get a nice bun in, go out into a slight breeze and come in looking worse than the proverbial cat dragged backwards through a hedge. I found these clips at my local pharmacy.

Sorry the image isn't in focus so much, I suspect poor lighting, there is a front and back image.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2qamgxi.png
They do hold my hair in nicely and certainly tidy things up, I just now worried that i'll fall in love, (i don't like the look of them but I am sick of the ugly flyaways, mine are in no way cute and face framing, more like someone who's just suffered and electric shock.) Something needs to be done. Bobby pins just slip and slide, I dunno the take down isn't pleasant I end up pulling more hair out than clips I think. I don't want to make my problems worse.

akurah
May 10th, 2017, 11:08 PM
They CAN cause damage, but that doesn't mean they will. My hair sometimes gets caught at the front part (on the right-hand side of the picture). Nail polish usually solves that.

I've never had problems with them.

If you're really worried, you might be able to tame the flyaways using something else (like a sort of gel, maybe aloe vera?).

A quick search of "taming flyaways" lead me to this post, so if you feel like digging through archives, there might be more value using that search phrase:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125084&p=2785845&viewfull=1#post2785845

Or more hopefully, people show up and share what works for them.

Also would be helpful to know if flyaways are new growth (if your hair is already long, but the previously dormant follicles woke up again and are making more hairs), or if they're from those hairs not being long enough because you're growing out from shorter, or if they're from growing out bangs (the bangs bit is me, but I kinda let the bangs do whatever since they're chin length now and are easy to tuck behind ears)

Borgessa
May 10th, 2017, 11:36 PM
If you're really worried, you might be able to tame the flyaways using something else (like a sort of gel, maybe aloe vera?).

A quick search of "taming flyaways" lead me to this post, so if you feel like digging through archives, there might be more value using that search phrase:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125084&p=2785845&viewfull=1#post2785845

Or more hopefully, people show up and share what works for them.

Also would be helpful to know if flyaways are new growth (if your hair is already long, but the previously dormant follicles woke up again and are making more hairs), or if they're from those hairs not being long enough because you're growing out from shorter, or if they're from growing out bangs (the bangs bit is me, but I kinda let the bangs do whatever since they're chin length now and are easy to tuck behind ears)

Thanks for the reply :) That link you provided there looks like the same clip i photographed... Interesting never thought or heard of a sleepy clip, not what I would have called it, the nail polish tip is a good idea I might have to employ that one thank you.

Product in my hair is yuck, only use conditioners and oils in my hair anything else feels gross, my hair is soooo fine.

I am growing out damage breakage around my perimeter from a ponytail in the same place for yrs. I got bangs when I never cut any in lol. Hopefully, also trying to get length i've had long hair for 20 yrs, my long hair, is bsl, it just won't grow, not through lack of neglect I tell you, so now i've discovered LHC i am employing the techniques here. Some days the flyaways are minimal, other days i just want to give up it looks so bad. Oh well it is what it is.

Here is an image I took yesterday of my new hair fork I got I was excited.. But, I had just done it, its like 2 mins old, and you can see the flyaways starting here - So in 5 mins you can imagine how bad it will get..

http://i68.tinypic.com/nwejgx.jpg

Deborah
May 11th, 2017, 12:47 AM
I've mostly heard them called bendy clips. I don't worry about flyaway hairs. I just ignore them.

lapushka
May 11th, 2017, 08:31 AM
We call them click clacks. Because that's the sound they make. :)

They shouldn't cause more damage than a regular French barrette makes with its closing on the hair (which I always had due to "too much hair").

pailin
May 11th, 2017, 09:04 AM
I always liked them much better than bobby pins. I find them much less damaging. I've occasionally gotten a hair stuck on the bit Akurah mentioned, but I have much more trouble with bobby pins, no matter how careful I am.

samanthaa
May 11th, 2017, 09:32 AM
Oh man, I can't remember what I used to call those as a child!

I wouldn't stress too much about damage. You want to enjoy your hair too. Just be careful inserting the clip, and be extra careful removing the clip (in case any hairs have gotten tangled in it).

Borgessa
May 11th, 2017, 05:40 PM
Thanks so much for your replies, and I think I will go ahead and just use them, like Pailin says, she does more damage taking out bobby pins and Ditto to that. It was just that they are metal, so I had some concerns there :) I'm sick of Stunted no growth so, its making me paranoid now lol. Haha

Hay_jules
May 12th, 2017, 09:18 AM
I used to use that style of clip exclusively to hold my bangs back because my slippy hair falls right out of bobby pins. I had a lot of breakage from them. The hairs get caught in the same part mentioned above and I couldn't pull them out without breaking them. I finally decided I'd rather have slippy flyaways then tearing my gair out so I discovered mini bobby pins and kept searching for an ouch-free, slip-free alternative. I'm now considering giving them another go though with the nail polish trick.

Kat
May 12th, 2017, 09:54 AM
I've heard them called "clippy barrettes" or similar.

I use these to control the flyaways, too. I have to... otherwise I look a total mess (my flyaways are numerous and about shoulder-length. By the end of the day, I would look like I haven't care for my hair in a week). Even with the barrettes it looks bad, just not completely awful. I don't like the look of them, either, but I try to use colors that blend with my hair as much as possible, and the barrettes still look better than the flyaways. (If I tried to use product, I'd have to use so much my hair would look 50s-style slicked back, or be so stiff I could bounce quarters off it.)

They're better if I french-braid my hair, or twist the sides, but I don't have time every morning to french-braid, and even with the sides twisted I need the clips or the twists... untwist.

Fia
May 12th, 2017, 09:59 AM
Fine-haired people should be a bit wary of these. As already stated the end where metal fastens to metal with the rivet can catch and rip out hairs. For fine-haired people like myself the actual barrette itself can cause some damage. Your hair is caught in the tension between two cut out metal sheets and the friction may cause kinks or actual breakage in the hairshaft. Similarly french barrettes can cause the same type of problem for fine-haired people, along with hairs getting caught in the hinge of the french barrette and possibly ripped out.

Kat
May 12th, 2017, 11:54 AM
Oh, yes. I meant to address the possibility of damage and say that when I wear these, I try to make sure never to sleep in them or slide them around in my hair, lest the metal edges break or damage the hair.

meteor
May 12th, 2017, 03:04 PM
My hair always got caught in those, so, personally, I do consider them damaging. If you use them for getting small sections of hair out of place (e.g. growing out bangs, etc...), I'd consider small claw-clips (jaws) instead. You can sand down seams on those, if they aren't smooth. Sure, hairs can get caught in the hinge in the back, as well, but less likely to IMHO.

Hay_jules
May 12th, 2017, 03:22 PM
Fine-haired people should be a bit wary of these. As already stated the end where metal fastens to metal with the rivet can catch and rip out hairs. For fine-haired people like myself the actual barrette itself can cause some damage. Your hair is caught in the tension between two cut out metal sheets and the friction may cause kinks or actual breakage in the hairshaft. Similarly french barrettes can cause the same type of problem for fine-haired people, along with hairs getting caught in the hinge of the french barrette and possibly ripped out.

*Raises hand*

I forgot about the kinks from those clips. I had to search what french barrettes were, those always pinched and broke my hairs in the hinges. I ended up throwing them all out along with the clips in the op.

Arctic
May 15th, 2017, 05:26 AM
Look what I bumped into: http://www.elle.com/beauty/hair/tips/g9013/summer-hairstyles/?slide=7 These clips seem to be trendy right now :)

I've seen them being called click clacks. I used them a lot when I was a child and never noticed damage from them - but I probably wasn't very tuned into that sort of thing either, so might have missed any possible damage too.

hayheadsbird
May 15th, 2017, 05:52 AM
Personally I avoid them. And Kirby grips. And French barrettes. Non of them hold enough hair to actually be of use, and the little they do hold ends up tangled. This is prob more an issue of my technique than anything else, but it's easier to just not use than get frustrated and break hair trying.

enting
May 15th, 2017, 07:45 AM
Some etsy artists cover the top part of the clip with fabric for decoration. The fabric also makes the metal less damaging. The bottom part of the clip would still be bare metal and potentially damaging, but the top part would be soft and protective.