PDA

View Full Version : cutting according to lunar calender

wectmall
May 10th, 2017, 12:59 PM
I am trying to grow my hair as long as it has ever been. I recently came across the concept of cutting your hair according to the lunar cycles to promote hair growth. I have found a bunch of different sites, but each site recommends cutting/trimming on different days! So I am confused.

I am needing a trim very soon. The calendar I found recommends cutting on May 30th, 31st, June 1st or June 2nd. I live in the United States.

Can someone who trims their hair according to the lunar calendar let me know the best days to trim my hair this month?

thanks!

akurah
May 10th, 2017, 01:18 PM
Cutting doesn't promote growth in any way, shape, or form, no matter how it's done. Your roots have no concept of what your ends are doing.

Cutting can, in long run, and only if your ends are damaged, prevent more breaking off than would have otherwise happened. In that particular case, it doesn't increase length, though, it prevents loss by breakage. Hair either has to be typically significantly damaged in that case, or unusually fragile (some people have this).

Unless your hair is breaking, if you want to maximize your growth, don't cut. At all.

If you want to maintain a certain hemline shape as you grow, cut, but be incredibly mindful of how much you cut. Hair averages half an inch a month, give or take a quarter of an inch, and averages 6 inches a year.

If you're dissatisfied with your ends, cut. But if you want to grow instead of maintaining hair length, again, be mindful of how much.

I don't think cutting every lunar cycle is wise if you want to go longer, even if you're extraordinarily careful you're at pretty good risk of cutting all the growth off.

MidnightMoon
May 10th, 2017, 01:20 PM
Hi. There's a really big thread on this already: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=69119&page=117

It has several links on the first page you might find useful

MidnightMoon
May 10th, 2017, 01:21 PM
(and adding to what akurah said) I don't believe that cutting at a specific day or time has any effect on hair growth, but yeah, just letting you know there's a thread on that :p

wectmall
May 10th, 2017, 01:25 PM
Thanks! I agree that cutting does not make your hair grow, lol!!! I have gone 12 months without even a microtrim. But, I need a dusting and I want to give the lunar method a shot. My problem is that there are so many different dates that they say promote growth.

I do not put a lot of faith or hope in this promoting growth, but, I do believe that the moon has been proven to influence our menstrual cycles, the tides, etc, so I am going to give this a shot.

I know that our hair is dead once it leaves the scalp!

Anyone that has been trimming-----microtrimming/dusting according to the lunar cycles, I would love to hear from you.

And thanks again for the thread link!

MoonRabbit
May 10th, 2017, 01:46 PM
I trim my hair with the lunar method. I trim during the waxing phase every 3 or six months.

I don't get crazy into it. Sometimes I will align it with a certain constellation, mostly Leo, since that is the symbol of strength, thickness and a beautiful mane.

Aredhel
May 10th, 2017, 01:53 PM
It certainly can't hurt to trim according to the waxing/full moon if you're going to trim anyway, but I wouldn't expect it to be any different than trimming outside of those phases. :)

EssentialJo
May 10th, 2017, 07:57 PM
I am trying to grow my hair as long as it has ever been. I recently came across the concept of cutting your hair according to the lunar cycles to promote hair growth. I have found a bunch of different sites, but each site recommends cutting/trimming on different days! So I am confused.

I am needing a trim very soon. The calendar I found recommends cutting on May 30th, 31st, June 1st or June 2nd. I live in the United States.

Can someone who trims their hair according to the lunar calendar let me know the best days to trim my hair this month?

thanks!

I was just searching for a thread on this and was going to start one if none came up!

I used to cut according to the lunar calendar and believe in this method. I would cut my son's hair, when he was a boy, during waning moon and my own hair during waxing. I stopped doing it years ago but am back into it just now. I use the Farmers Almanac site to get the ideal dates. My dw and I used to use our paper almanac for this and also other moon phase items (planting, harvesting, etc.).

Agree with Aredhel's fine comment: it certainly can't hurt. I felt like it worked though.