PDA

View Full Version : Help? Constantly oily hair..Do I have SB?

Becalm
May 10th, 2017, 12:49 PM
Hello everyone,
My hair causes me constant distress...I don't know when it got to this point. To think I used to have thick normal hair (well I was much younger, almost a child back then).

I take a shower every other day. The day which I don't shower are the days when my hair is extremely oily. Over the course of years my hair has gotten so thin. It seems I have some sort of waxy dandruff build up (sometimes even on days I showered). I see few flakes, but when I scratch my scalp I see waxy dandruff(?) under my nails (sorry if it's TMI). Today I did a vinegar wash and it didn't seem to help?(Infact my hair feels oilier with more hair fall after the shower today)
Everyday just seems like a different texture and guess whats going to come out of the shower:-(

Do I possible have SB? I should change my shampoo as well... If H&S, then is the instant oil control shampoo any good? Or Head and Shoulder Intensive care?

I'm still a teenager and it's sad to say that this issue has started to affect me on a great deal.
Thank you!

samanthaa
May 10th, 2017, 12:58 PM
What do you currently wash your hair with?

Becalm
May 10th, 2017, 01:14 PM
What do you currently wash your hair with?

The regular head and shoulders shampoo.

lapushka
May 10th, 2017, 01:48 PM
I take a shower every other day. The day which I don't shower are the days when my hair is extremely oily. Over the course of years my hair has gotten so thin. It seems I have some sort of waxy dandruff build up (sometimes even on days I showered). I see few flakes, but when I scratch my scalp I see waxy dandruff(?) under my nails (sorry if it's TMI). Today I did a vinegar wash and it didn't seem to help?(Infact my hair feels oilier with more hair fall after the shower today)
Everyday just seems like a different texture and guess whats going to come out of the shower:-(

Do I possible have SB? I should change my shampoo as well... If H&S, then is the instant oil control shampoo any good? Or Head and Shoulder Intensive care?

I'm still a teenager and it's sad to say that this issue has started to affect me on a great deal.
Thank you!

You are still in your teens? Hair can change texture and thickness during that time. During menopause as well, BTW. Hormones. As simple as that!

I'd go see a dermatologist. You can't expect people over the internet to "diagnose" you with a scalp condition.

If you have redness, flakes and itchiness, then that *may* point to SD, but it doesn't mean that it is. It can be a whole slew of other things as well. Maybe try washing with OTC Nizoral and see if that changes anything.

Becalm
May 10th, 2017, 02:38 PM
I don't really have redness and maybe some flakes, but mainly oily dandruff. Thank you I'll consider the options

spidermom
May 10th, 2017, 08:57 PM
I'd try a clarifying shampoo at least twice in a row, with conditioner only on the bottom couple of inches if you use conditioner at all.

akurah
May 10th, 2017, 11:16 PM
I'd see a dermatologist.

I've had problems with itchy skin all over my entire adult life, and I always thought I was just hyper sensitive to various products (such as laundry detergent, etc), so I used fragrance free. Still itchy, but kept at it. Tried sulfate free. Still itchy. Gave up for awhile (obviously, still itchy). I FINALLY got myself to a dermatologist after putting up with it for a very, very long time (at least a decade, possibly my entire life, not sure because my memory is crap). Want to know what it was? Something I never would have guessed, even with access to google. My body makes too much histamine. :rolleyes: first line treatment? allergy meds, with other options if allergy meds don't cut it. I've been on zyrtec for a week now, and while I'm still itchy (it takes about 6 weeks to be fully effective), there are periods of time where I swear I think I'm itching a tiny bit less.

TLDR: you may have misdiagnosed just like I did, ask for a professional to diagnose so you don't suffer needlessly in case you did misdiagnose

Borgessa
May 10th, 2017, 11:44 PM
Yeah I'd see your doctor, your hair is probably producing copious amounts of oil, just to get through the what sounds like thick dandruff, that in its self is abnormal, plus its itchy. Yeah your scalp, sounds to me anyway, that is going into over drive to produce enough oil to get through this blockage. Makes sense. I suspect once you have the doctor sort your problem out with medication. Topical or not, your oil problem may settle down. But these things take time.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
May 11th, 2017, 12:43 AM
Hello Becalm welcome to the LHC:blossom:
I would recommend make an appointment with a dermatologist to get a professional diagnosis first.
It is true hormonal change does affect the hair. But if excess sebum is causing shedding you need an analysis of the situation. Also the build-up of "gunk" is a sign that there is something going on which needs to be attended to.

Try not to stress yourself as you are working towards creating a healthy scalp for hair growth. As stress can also cause shed. Avoid trying too many things in an attempt to self diagnose as this could aggravate your scalp. Good luck and please let us know how things go after your visit to the dermatologist and what adjustment and changes you decide to do. We are all here to help and brainstorm together :grouphug: