PDA

View Full Version : How to beat the static???

BlackfootHair
October 25th, 2008, 03:39 PM
So, I'm going to assume that my static-y hair is due to it being in a drier climate. It's getting colder outside. I've been getting shocked more...in my house, in my car...so what can I do for my hair? I don't see it fro'ing out or anything, but all of a sudden I can hear the static when I brush my hair.

I tried COing before...it's really not for me. Maybe every other wash...but not as a constant. And honestly? I couldn't give up shampoo...because it's just too fun! haha I love playing with the bubbles.

For some reason I keep thinking I read somewhere that using a conditioner with quats is supposed to help with that...I think it was Flaxen that said it....

When I did the stretch test, my hair would break pretty easily and not stretch much at all. I did a two hour oil treatment with that Indian oil that has that really long name... neeli....something another from KPN Mark? My hair stretched more last time I checked it. I also did some clarifying treatments as well. I even used Suave shampoo and conditioner a few shampoos back. My hair didn't feel too bad at all and I loved the apple scent!

Anywho...I've been thinking lately about how I want to try using Suave. But, from past experience, my hair always felt so dry and tangled with it. Perhaps they changed the formula from since I was a kid. (I still feel guilty to this day about giving my mom such a hard time about the Suave when she brought some home. They came out with the new scent, Lilac blossom or some such, and she liked the scent so much she bought the big family size shampoo and conditioner. I tried to use it, but my hair just felt like crap after some time. I used the blowfryer and hairspray back then though.)

When I used to use Dabur Vatika shampoo and Mane and Tail conditioner, my hair was just fine. So I know my hair doesn't HAVE to have coney conditioners to be happy. Right now I'm using the Dabur shampoo and Pantene's Beautiful Lengths condish. It has far less cones than their other condish, so I don't worry so much.

I've been thinking about diluting Suave conditioner in a mister with just water and spraying that in after I get out of the shower. I've read some people here do that, and I'm just wondering if that would help solve the static issue. I'd love the extra smell too. :) I suppose if I made sure to oil before washing I could get away with using Suave shampoo. And if all else fails, I know it cleans the tub really well. I'd so much rather smell green apples then harsh tub cleaner. :) Oh, and for those who make a mister with Suave conditioner, what are your ratios? And when your hair dries, does it feel soft? I made some concoction once with Vo5 strawberries and milk conditioner, and because I was obsessed with having strawberry sented hair, I used WAY too much conditioner and it didn't dry soft, but tangled and felt way yucky. However, I also dumped in Mary Kay and Ashley body shimmer stuff thinking it would make my hair sparkly...I don't know where I get such crazy thoughts. :rolleyes:

(you know what I just thought????) SInce Suave shampoo and conditioner are essentially the same formula and just different scents, I could probably get away with switching to whatever scent I wanted to without my hair freaking out. I'm such a product junky. Always looking for ways I can spend more money. :) lol

Forever_Sophie
October 25th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I heard or read somewhere that a dryer sheet will take static out of hair (just rub it over)...I don't have that problem so I never tried it, but...supposedly it works! HTH!

BlackfootHair
October 25th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Yeah, I've heard that too. I'm just trying to find a solution in my routine to where I won't even hear static when I brush... Here's hoping! Too bad laundry softener didn't have so many chemicals. I'd dilute some Downy in a spritzer. Then my hair would smell really really good! I'd use the Lavender Vanilla stuff. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I wonder if anyone on the boards has tried that...

spidermom
October 25th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I used to rub a dryer fabric softener sheet on my hands before spinning angora; it really helped. Most of the time static is not a problem in these parts because the climate is humid.

heidi w.
October 25th, 2008, 04:29 PM
You will likely find that adding moisture to a dry environment will help. Likely the humidity isn't very high. So run a humidifier in the sleeping room and/or main area of the house. You don't need a lot, but it does help. ETA: there are thermometer types that measure humidity in the air!

I got this idea from Lady Grace who has MAGNIFICENT hair! Really.

Winter in some areas means a lot less humidity; this means we run heaters indoors more.

I hear the dryer sheets work on the hair for an immediate fix.

I once heard to comb the hair while standing on a rubber glove!

I'm betting when you get some humidity around you, it'll help.

You can also oil the length very, very lightly. That helps.

heidi w.
ETA: I also experience more chapped facial skin in the winter and the humidifier helps with this issue a lot, as well.

heidi w.
October 25th, 2008, 04:32 PM
If your hair is dry and static-y you do not need to conduct a clarify hair wash!!

Clarifying removes the moisture elements you've applied to hair's surface (the cuticle) via oil, via conditioner, via any leave-in conditioner and/or oil you use; and thus this is anti-thetical to your cause if you are trying to eliminate static in your hair. Static in hair is about a lack of moisture in the climate, and putting some on the hair can contribute to easing the problem. Removing moisture will aggravate the static problem, therefore. (IF you clarify, BE SURE TO REPLACE WHAT'S BEEN REMOVED by conditioning very well. Leave on longer in a humid shower, for example, and ensure the interior areas of ropey wet clumps of hair receive warm water and conditioner.)

heidi w.

BlackfootHair
October 25th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I've been wanting to get a humidifier. I'll have to wait a bit till I have some more money. I know I seen one at Walmart for under $30. I am thinking about sitting bowls of water around the apartment. My cat would probably appreciate it. :) I haven't turned the heat on only because it just builds up until I'm ready to open the windows in 40* weather. I'm off to do more research. :)

BlackfootHair
October 25th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Haha...here is a good use for fabric softener I just found...nothing to do with human hair, but awesome to say the least...beware, naked barbie ahead! (with super long hair)

Make sure to scroll all the way to the bottom to see the awesome end results! (http://www.rebeccachulew.com/ezine/hairrescue.html)

Samikha
October 25th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I hear there are anti-static hair brushes. Some members seem to find them really helpful, though I never used (or saw!) one.

BlackfootHair
October 25th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Well, I found an MSDS sheet for the Downy I use. Maybe I could at least try it diluted in a mister. If nothing else, I could try spraying it on my hair brush before brushing. I think I've seen the anti static brushes before but didn't care at the time because I wasn't having an issue.

Downy MSDS for Simple Pleasures Line. (http://www.pg.com/content/pdf/01_about_pg/msds/fabric_and_homecare/fabric_conditioner/Liquid_Downy_Ultra_Simple_Pleasures.pdf)

chelles2kids
October 25th, 2008, 05:44 PM
The easiest solution I've found for static is once I apply lotion to my hands, either at night before bed or right after washing them, I'll run my hands through my hair.

It's quick & easy and I don't have to actually apply anything to my hair.

banglaminerva
October 25th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I used to keep a drier sheet in my winter coat pocket to lightly run it over my hair when the static would start up. I also keep one in my desk at work to unzap a static-clingy skirt.
However, since I've built up the moisture in my hair and switched to a bone comb, I don't remember the last time I had a static problem with my hair. And winter's already started up here.

Good luck!

TheKnight'sLady
October 26th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I live in a super dry climate too and winter is starting. I can already feel the static starting in my hair. About adding moisture to hair. . .if I understand correctly, using 'cones seals moisture out of the hair, so do I need to switch to cone-free products to add in moisture? Sorry for the silly question, but I am still a newbie trying to figure everything out. Thanks!

BlackfootHair
October 26th, 2008, 11:12 AM
If you do a clarifying treatment to clean off any cones and then do a moisturizing treatment in the shower (like Heidi mentioned, the steam from the shower would help) and then seal it with something coney, that would help. As long as you use cones over already moisturized hair, or hair that isn't dried out, it will help seal in the moisture. I keep doing Dabur Vatika oil treatments on my hair while dry before the shower. I use a ton of oil and let it soak in for two hours...every time I do this my hair feels even better. The Vatika oil is coconut based, and coconut oil has been shown to actually penetrate the hair shaft. It also prevents protein loss from the hair. When I apply coconut oil, it will soak into any areas of the hair that the cones haven't coated. If you prefer not to use cones, other oils such as olive, sesame, or grapeseed oil will coat the hair and prevent moisture loss. :)

BlackfootHair
October 26th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I'm still wondering about Suave conditioner and water in a mister...has anyone used just this, and how has it worked in the hair?

suziwon
October 26th, 2008, 11:29 AM
My two tricks are:

Spraying hairspray onto my brush before using it. I don't use this one so much any more as I rarely ever use hair spray all that much any more. I'm wondering tho if anyone who uses AVG as hair spray has tried spraying it onto their brush prior to brushing and gotten the same benefit...

Second trick is to replace the hair spray with the anti static spray that you can buy. I had a problem at work one day and there was no hair spray to be found, but there was some of this stuff running around. I think that the advice I'd been given was to spray it on my hair, and while this was pre-LHC for me, I was still "uh, no" to whomever had suggested it to me...

Hope obe of these ideas is helpful!

AngelInDisguise
October 26th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I have not tried conditioner yet - but as I read from others this might help.

At the moment I do have another mixture in my mister: Neroli water with a few drops of concentrated Aloe vera.

I use Neroli because I do like the scent and because it's said to be able to keep the moisture. And what works for the skin might also be good for the hair, I suppose.

As I do not have the problem with freshly washed and conditoned hair I only use it on non-washing days.

So far it has worked fairly well, but winter and heating season has not really started yet...

Amara
October 26th, 2008, 11:10 PM
My favorite is a light mist with some conditioner in it.

Also, giving up shampoo might help you a lot, and I thought I'd mention this because I also didn't want to give up shampoo because of the suds. It's just so *satisfying.* But all of the Chagrin Valley shampoo bars I've gotten lather up AWESOMELY. Just sayin'. :)

BlackfootHair
October 26th, 2008, 11:42 PM
My hair continues to dry out even more every day. And it's been tangling a lot lately!! Mainly in the back, on the ends. I have a lot of damage there, so this wouldn't surprise me. I might just have to break down and trim a tiny bit. Do a nice thorough dusting. I did buy some Suave Vanilla Floral conditioner tonight. I'm going to try diluting it with water to see how I like it, and also, I might just try some CO for a few days. My hair feels really nice in the newer areas, but the ends are just poop! But that is old bleach wrecked hair, so I'm not surprised.

VanillaTresses
October 26th, 2008, 11:54 PM
BlackfootHair, what always helped me when I lived up North during the cooler/drier months was to seriously curtail my washing schedule-- right after I washed static would be really bad, but it always got better the longer I waited to re-wash. I don't know how dry your scalp is/how often you have to wash... but for me in those drier months I could get away with around every 5 days or so. Another thing that seemed to help was oiling. Some Dabur Vatika, perhaps!? :)

BlackfootHair
October 27th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Yeah, I did notice that the oilings were helping...but I think this weather is so dry that it's going to take something a little more serious. I can't go very long without washing, but I'm going to try CO every other wash, and every two washes if I can. Maybe some heavier oiling on the ends before washing...whether with CO or shampoo. I want to henna so bad, but henna dries my hair out, and until I get some moisture back in there, I'm not sure it's a good idea.