PDA

View Full Version : Second day waves

WavyWannabe
May 10th, 2017, 01:37 AM
Hello LHC,
Right after I wash my hair, it has quite a bit of frizz, yet my waves are (well I think they are :p) gorgeous. They're bouncy, form some clumps, and sometimes even loose spirals.
They look like 2a, and sometimes 2b waves.
However, on the next day, I'm left with strands that are only barely wavy, and most of my clumps broke down. Needless to say, I don't get nice waves until I wash them again, usually after three to four days.
I guess there are only two explanations to this : either I don't protect my waves the right way while I'm sleeping, which kills all wave definition and also dry out my poor ends.
Or my first day waves are only artificially created by plopping, scrunching with aloe gel and other "curly" methods, and I'm actually a straight-haired person who pretends to be a wavy-head :eek:
What do you think ?
And if I am actually mistreating my natural waves, how can I protect them while I'm sleeping ?
I currently loosely twist and bun my hair right on top of my head, without securing it, and put a microfiber buff over my head and bun. It does sometimes fall out during the night, though.

akurah
May 10th, 2017, 08:54 AM
How do you wear your hair daily?

My hair waves stick around. In some cases it's less wavy after first day of wash and gets more so each day until next wash. The only things I do that might cause this are: use aloe as leave in, wear hair in bun (as such, possibly bun waves). I have about "can I call this tailbone?" length hair (though it may straight up be tailbone by now, longest bits are anyway)

Hay_jules
May 10th, 2017, 09:08 AM
I have the same problem. If I don't plop or scrunch and let my hair dry on its own it has more curl than wave (scrunching gives waves but more body) so I'm quite sure I'm not a straight masquerading as a wavy. My solution works on the days i don't scrunch or gel, it doesn't seem to work with gel so well (so far, I'm still tweaking). Anyway, when I don't use gel i use a dot of my cone-free conditioner as my leave-in and blot my hair with tshirt or microfibre towel and then leave it be. When i wake up with flat hair on day 2 i take a spray leave-in i made using the same conditioner in water and spritz my hair and rake my fingers through using a bit of a side to side motion (not pulling straight down), i spray it enough to be visibly damp, and only on roots if there's a trouble spot. And like magic when it dries it's all wavy again. I can do it again day 3 but they do lose a little oomph.

Eta: my conditioner is Tresemme perfeclty undone in case you wanted to know.

lapushka
May 10th, 2017, 09:43 AM
What are you doing for styling?

I use the LOC/LCO method; the link is in my signature. If you can "bump up" the waves after you wash, they will last longer. I can get a week out of them (I weekly wash).

WavyWannabe
May 10th, 2017, 11:32 AM
Thanks for your tips :o
akurah : I leave my hair down after I've washed it to enjoy my waves during the day, and usually braid it on the next days, either leaving the braid down or bunning it. I do get braid waves after a few days.
Hay_jules : I do need to try this ! :D I guess "waving" fingers through hair solves the problem of "dry scrunching messes up everything and raking straight down doesn't help much". Do you think it could work too with a tiny bit of oil (jojoba or coconut) and aloe in water ? Or maybe with 2/3 water + 1/3 white vinegar + a few drops of tea tree EO (that's what I use as a rinse) ?
lapushka : Right after washing, I scrunch in some aloe vera gel and a little bit of jojoba oil, then plop. On the next days, I apply some aloe and jojoba again (without scrunching, or it ends up in a huge mess). I usually end up braiding it. Edit : I took a look at the LOC method, I'll have to try it too. Maybe with Hay_jules's method as the Leave-in step, jojoba or coconut Oil, and aloe vera for the "Cream" step, which seems to be more of a "styling"/"Gel" step.

akurah
May 10th, 2017, 12:16 PM
In some cases it's less wavy after first day of wash and gets more so each day until next wash.

This is what I get for posting before coffee. It starts out less wavy on first day post wash. It gets more wavy each day after. Probably bun waves, but unclear. Sometimes happens even when I wear hair down

lapushka
May 11th, 2017, 08:40 AM
lapushka : Right after washing, I scrunch in some aloe vera gel and a little bit of jojoba oil, then plop. On the next days, I apply some aloe and jojoba again (without scrunching, or it ends up in a huge mess). I usually end up braiding it. Edit : I took a look at the LOC method, I'll have to try it too. Maybe with Hay_jules's method as the Leave-in step, jojoba or coconut Oil, and aloe vera for the "Cream" step, which seems to be more of a "styling"/"Gel" step.

I'd personally try stronger gels than just aloe for LOC/LCO, if you want to preserve waves for a long time. Eco Styler is a well-known and good one. The thing then is, you don't need much (just scrunch a coinsize into the hair).

meteor
May 11th, 2017, 02:16 PM
I think it's pretty normal for slightly wavy texture to relax over the days and kind of straighten out.
One thing that I think can help even without the use of any products is styling hair (dry or slightly spritzed with water) overnight in a way that copies your natural texture and then wrapping that in silk (scarf/bonnet/pillowcase). For example, braidwaves from English or rope braids, figure-8 (bandana) waves (https://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/09/24/bandanna-waves/), ... - the more sections you do, the tighter/smaller the wave pattern. I find it can help prolong and enhance natural texture for longer between washes.

WavyWannabe
May 12th, 2017, 02:49 AM
lapushka : I'll keep the Eco Styler gel in mind when I'll try LOC (this will be my next experiment in a few days :) ).
meteor : Braidwaves and bunwaves do work quite well on my hair. I guess wrapping it in silk (or cotton/polyester satin maybe ?) prevents the hair from drying out overnight ?

Actually, I don't try to keep my waves for a really long time, just for the day after I wash them. It doesn't bother me if they straighten out afterwards since I put my hair up on the other days.
It also seems that most people with looser waves experience it (until a few weeks/months ago I didn't even notice I had wavy hair, so I'm not that familiar with "normal wave behaviour" :p)

Thanks again for your tips :o

Arctic
May 12th, 2017, 03:39 AM
Yes this is typical for milder wave patterns, and does not make you a straightie. Person with 1a hair can scrunch and plop and gel till cows come home but won't get waves, just mess. Waves can't be artificially created with these methods where there isn't any natural wave, but if you have waves, they can be enhanced and supercharged. And with our hair typing system, it doesn't really matter how your hair looks 4 days after washing, the typing is done right after washing for a reason (best representation of natural waves).

I have never found a way to allow my own natural waves to last, but I enjoy having bun waves most of the time. Your night time bun will most likely be *one* reason why your second day waves flatten, but I'm afraid I don't have any solutions to that.

And lastly, enjoy the magic quality of wavy hair, you get many different looks within your washing cycle, it can be seen as a positive thing too if you choose so!

WavyWannabe
May 12th, 2017, 05:11 AM
Yes this is typical for milder wave patterns, and does not make you a straightie. Person with 1a hair can scrunch and plop and gel till cows come home but won't get waves, just mess. Waves can't be artificially created with these methods where there isn't any natural wave, but if you have waves, they can be enhanced and supercharged. And with our hair typing system, it doesn't really matter how your hair looks 4 days after washing, the typing is done right after washing for a reason (best representation of natural waves).

I have never found a way to allow my own natural waves to last, but I enjoy having bun waves most of the time. Your night time bun will most likely be *one* reason why your second day waves flatten, but I'm afraid I don't have any solutions to that.

And lastly, enjoy the magic quality of wavy hair, you get many different looks within your washing cycle, it can be seen as a positive thing too if you choose so!

That's true, I actually get to enjoy both wavy hair and mostly straight hair. Eventually, I guess it is a matter of accepting my hair's natural texture and its normal behaviour :).