PDA

View Full Version : Hair Forks and Hair Pins

Prism
May 10th, 2017, 12:56 AM
I have shoulder length hair that is cut in a bob. I'm looking for a hair pin or hair fork to put my hair up. Since I have a very small bun, which would you prefer? How big of a hair fork?

ephemeri
May 11th, 2017, 04:48 PM
Hmm, well when I was at shoulder length, I used bobby pins to secure my cinnabun (it was like a split cinnabun). I don't really recommend bobby pins because they weren't that great. But have you tried spin pins?

Prism
May 11th, 2017, 05:02 PM
Hmm, well when I was at shoulder length, I used bobby pins to secure my cinnabun (it was like a split cinnabun). I don't really recommend bobby pins because they weren't that great. But have you tried spin pins?Is a spin pin just like a bobby pin but twisted? I've seen them but was skeptical that it was something that would work.

bparnell75
May 11th, 2017, 05:05 PM
https://crockettmountainwood.com/ go to action shots and videos. Julie has thin rather short hair and shows how to use her products.

If you can do a French twist most smaller combs or even sticks will work. If your hair is mega thick you may have trouble with up dos until it is longer.

Prism
May 11th, 2017, 05:12 PM
https://crockettmountainwood.com/ go to action shots and videos. Julie has thin rather short hair and shows how to use her products.

If you can do a French twist most smaller combs or even sticks will work. If your hair is mega thick you may have trouble with up dos until it is longer.

Wow, surprised me that she was able to get hair that short into an updo. I've never tried a French twist. My hair is thick (though not the thickest I've seen here by any means). I always wondered why so many of the updos won't work for me. I thought it was an issue of length, but maybe it's the thickness.

melesine
May 11th, 2017, 07:36 PM
I'd try a French twist, I could do those before I could do a bun when my hair was short. I'd suggest a clip, I could still use my large Ficcare for a French twist after my chop.

Prism
May 11th, 2017, 07:40 PM
I'd try a French twist, I could do those before I could do a bun when my hair was short. I'd suggest a clip, I could still use my large Ficcare for a French twist after my chop.I have and love my Ficcares. This is a choice because I can't buy all of the toys I want. :) I will find a tutorial on a French twist. Thank you!

ephemeri
May 13th, 2017, 06:13 AM
Is a spin pin just like a bobby pin but twisted? I've seen them but was skeptical that it was something that would work.

Yes! But they are also thicker and stronger. They are really brilliant, I love them. :o

lapushka
May 13th, 2017, 06:39 AM
Are you sure you're not doing your updo too tightly? It is a mystery to me how you can bun with ii/iii hair at shoulder length. I have iii hair, and could only somewhat comfortably bun at hiplength (meh, waist was too uncomfortable and tight).

I'd stick to peacock twists and French twists for now, all the way to APL at least - it's just what I would do; those styles are easier to secure with a claw clip or Flexi8 and U-pins (for the French twist).

Joyful Mystery
May 19th, 2017, 08:18 AM
I have iii hair at CBL and I certainly can't bun yet.

I've tried spin pins in the past and couldn't get them to work for me. I prefer hair forks and claw clips for buns.

hayheadsbird
May 21st, 2017, 05:41 AM
At APL ish I was limited to peacock twists with a stick or fork. Claw clips were also good. Buns started to work about BSL , but had to be split. Heading for waist I can make a lwb, just. Spin pins are fab, Amish pins work as well. I don't use bobby pins. My hair is just into iii

Deborah
May 25th, 2017, 10:06 AM
... I recently discovered these corkscrew pins that work amazingly well. If you have finer or thinner hair, I'd advise getting the shorter version (https://www.amazon.com/Goody-Simple-Styles-Spin-Dark/dp/B00BE6EAKK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1428613781&sr=8-4&keywords=goody+hair+pins) of the pin; if you have longer or thicker hair, the larger version (https://www.amazon.com/Goody-Simple-Styles-assorted-colors/dp/B0055Y9AIY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1428613781&sr=8-6&keywords=goody%2Bhair%2Bpins&th=1). They come in dark and light colors to better hide in your hair.

Those are spin pins. Lots of us use them regularly. They hold wonderfully well.