PDA

View Full Version : Turbie Twist Plopping

Crystawni
May 9th, 2017, 09:22 PM
Plopping. What a word, hey. :wethree: As with a fair few of you, I'm a hair plopper, but don't use a t-shirt, shirt or skirt to sop up the drippies. I use my turbie twist, even at BCL.

From the very first day I got the turbie twist when my hair was around APL, I've been using it for plopping before airdrying. It was only much later I read how you're meant to use the turbie--yanno, the dangling hair in the pocket, twist and secure method. By that stage, my hair was almost too long for the turbie pocket, and twisting the length in the material actually made my hair frizzy and less-defined.

So, for plopping, I just bend forwards with wettish hair dangling and turbie in place, and scoop the clumped length of my hair up into a pile towards my noggin, then twist the rest of the empty pocket to secure with the elastic that's on the turbie. I don't think I'll ever outgrow any turbie doing this as the pocket can handle a lot of hair when it's piled on your head. I also think this method is gentler than the twist, and find the t-shirt method for plopping a bit heavier and clunky, and doesn't stay effortlessly in place like the turbie.

Anyone else a tweaked turbunner?

Prism
May 9th, 2017, 09:30 PM
Plopping. What a word, hey. :wethree: As with a fair few of you, I'm a hair plopper, but don't use a t-shirt, shirt or skirt to sop up the drippies. I use my turbie twist, even at BCL.

From the very first day I got the turbie twist when my hair was around APL, I've been using it for plopping before airdrying. It was only much later I read how you're meant to use the turbie--yanno, the dangling hair in the pocket, twist and secure method. By that stage, my hair was almost too long for the turbie pocket, and twisting the length in the material actually made my hair frizzy and less-defined.

So, for plopping, I just bend forwards with wettish hair dangling and turbie in place, and scoop the clumped length of my hair up into a pile towards my noggin, then twist the rest of the empty pocket to secure with the elastic that's on the turbie. I don't think I'll ever outgrow any turbie doing this as the pocket can handle a lot of hair when it's piled on your head. I also think this method is gentler than the twist, and find the t-shirt method for plopping a bit heavier and clunky, and doesn't stay effortlessly in place like the turbie.

Anyone else a tweaked turbunner?

Hi, Crystawni! I just bought a Turbie-Twist today and did my best to join you ploppers tonight. It took a couple of tries, and I'm still not sure I "accordioned" it well enough. Will see in the morning! I welcome any tips from Turbie-ploppers :)

littlestarface
May 9th, 2017, 09:30 PM
Lol!I do this to but I scrunch it all in my hand by doing a swirling motion and put that against the top of my head and then put the turbie towel on twist it and tie it in the elastic. Much better way.

Crystawni
May 9th, 2017, 10:14 PM
Hi, Crystawni! I just bought a Turbie-Twist today and did my best to join you ploppers tonight. It took a couple of tries, and I'm still not sure I "accordioned" it well enough. Will see in the morning! I welcome any tips from Turbie-ploppers :)

Welcome, fellow Ploppee! (Crap, that's plop and pee in one word... ewwwwwwwww!) Plopster. (Nope, no better...)

:o

Mine just gets kinda smooshed in there, and then released about 15 minutes later, which is when I put some hair mask on the ends and let it all airdry. Are you plopping overnight?

Lol!I do this to but I scrunch it all in my hand by doing a swirling motion and put that against the top of my head and then put the turbie towel on twist it and tie it in the elastic. Much better way.

You haz talent! :bowtome: I use the catchiness of the pocket material to keep my hair in place while I'm piling it up, but often my fingers drag a clump or two back and forth, back and forth... Gah! I also try to keep some face framers out of the turbie or else they'll part-dry smooshed in all the wrong directions.

ReadingRenee
May 9th, 2017, 10:20 PM
I used to do this when my hair got too long for the pocket before I cut it short. Thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten about it! I love my turbie twist. I am going to start doing this again. :)

Prism
May 9th, 2017, 10:43 PM
Welcome, fellow Ploppee! [SIZE=1]Are you plopping overnight?

I am. This is the first time I've tried it, and it's the first time I've tried Shea Nation's leave-in. The Turbie feels pretty loose. I keep wondering if it will fall off.

Crystawni
May 9th, 2017, 11:43 PM
I am. This is the first time I've tried it, and it's the first time I've tried Shea Nation's leave-in. The Turbie feels pretty loose. I keep wondering if it will fall off.

It would fall off if I tried to wear it overnight (the turbie material grabs at stuff, plus I'm a restless sleeper). Or I'd rip it off. :p 15 minutes with a towel on my head is about my limit, though. Plus I can't do damp overnighters because my scalp hair won't dry and then the crown gets very oily icky.

akurah
May 9th, 2017, 11:44 PM

Unless you're a restless sleeper, you're probably fine

littlestarface
May 9th, 2017, 11:50 PM

Did you make sure it was tight around your head and twist pretty tightly? Mine stays on for a long time but I only wear it for about 15 20 mins depending on how lazy I feel.

Prism
May 9th, 2017, 11:58 PM
Did you make sure it was tight around your head and twist pretty tightly? Mine stays on for a long time but I only wear it for about 15 20 mins depending on how lazy I feel.I think so. When I try to twist it tighter, the result is that the twisted end has to reach the loop and it can't, so I have to unwind a little so it'll be secured in the loop. Still feels floppy and loose and annoying. I may be the first Turbie-Twist user who doesn't love the thing. The verdict will be in the morning.

Dante
May 10th, 2017, 01:53 AM
This is exactly how I use the turbie twister too!

I tend to just leave it in the twister for about half an hour, which absorbs most of the wetness of it, and then I shift to an old t-shirt to plop it in and leave it overnight.

Prism
May 10th, 2017, 07:42 AM
Okay, I don't know what I feel about it. From afar, my hair looks great--full of body, lots of waves. But up close it's a fuzzy mess. I may just put it up today, not sure. I want to brush it or comb it, but I know it'll be a poofy mess if I do. Here's the result anyway:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4164/34443111531_6121e13154_z.jpg

Hay_jules
May 10th, 2017, 08:55 AM
I have a dollar store version of this, the main difference is that its smaller. I've been playing around trying to figure out how it works best, it's definitely better than a tshirt. How do you pull out the face framing pieces without disrupting the rest of the curl pattern and how to you manage to place the edge of the turbie on your hairline? That's where all my problems are. I'm growing out my bangs and they form these perfect little spirals on their own, but I can't seem to keep them out without flattening the hair where the edge lies. Last time i just didn't secure it as tight and didn't leave it on for long...not optimal. I think part of my problems will improve once my hair has more length and weight.

lapushka
May 10th, 2017, 09:48 AM
Okay, I don't know what I feel about it. From afar, my hair looks great--full of body, lots of waves. But up close it's a fuzzy mess. I may just put it up today, not sure. I want to brush it or comb it, but I know it'll be a poofy mess if I do. Here's the result anyway:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4164/34443111531_6121e13154_z.jpg

Those are pretty waves! Maybe you're still getting used to them? :flower: I don't see frizz, just defined waves.

Prism
May 10th, 2017, 09:55 AM
Those are pretty waves! Maybe you're still getting used to them? :flower: I don't see frizz, just defined waves.

Thanks. If you look at the hair that accidentally got into the cam lens, you can see (well, I can) some snarly, fuzzy looking stuff.

I ended up wetting it down with water and then scrunching. I think I'll try plopping again with a t-shirt overnight. There's a silk pillowcase in the mail to me, and when it arrives, that should help with the fuzz factor from lying on a pillow.

lithostoic
May 10th, 2017, 09:59 AM
That's what I used to do, but that thing just does not get along with my hair. Frizz city even if I'm not using it to plop.

Crystawni
May 19th, 2017, 08:53 PM
Here's an older thread on plopping (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17554) where it was warned against doing it for too long as it could cause frizz thanks to the drying ability of the turbie.

I have a dollar store version of this, the main difference is that its smaller. I've been playing around trying to figure out how it works best, it's definitely better than a tshirt. How do you pull out the face framing pieces without disrupting the rest of the curl pattern and how to you manage to place the edge of the turbie on your hairline? That's where all my problems are. I'm growing out my bangs and they form these perfect little spirals on their own, but I can't seem to keep them out without flattening the hair where the edge lies. Last time i just didn't secure it as tight and didn't leave it on for long...not optimal. I think part of my problems will improve once my hair has more length and weight.

I ease the face framers from the ^ shape (the turbie isn't too tight there as it's resting on the bulk of the, um, plop?). I bought a cheaper dollar store version out of curiosity a while back, but found it's a fair bit smaller and not as easy to secure.

littlestarface
May 19th, 2017, 08:58 PM
I bought a dollar store one too a long time ago, that thing was tiny, made of some dodgy microfiber, paper thin, didn't absorb nothing and had a dumb button I hated with a passion. That thing couldn't even dream of holding half my hair. I threw that thing in with the rest of the rubbish.

Prism
May 20th, 2017, 01:26 PM
Any Turbie-Twist ploppers have bangs? I've been trying to figure out what to do with them during plopping or even just leaving the Turbie-Twist on overnight. So far I've been blow drying the bangs using a round brush (and blow drying the bangs only). Then I try to accordion the rest of the hair and wrap it up in the Turbie-Twist, doing my best to leave the bangs out of the TT. It's a rather awkward process and I welcome suggestions on how to deal with the bangs. If I didn't have a big forehead (it's a sixhead) I would just let the bangs grow out.