PDA

View Full Version : Hair oil recommendation 2c/3a hair?

Nbvoid97
May 9th, 2017, 10:07 AM
Can anyone recommend a good hair oil for this hair type? I have no experience with hair oils/oiling my hair. Currently growing it long and It's shoulder length. I have very thick hair. I use kerastase shampoo/conditioner and I was looking at their kerastase elixir ultime hair oil but this looks more like a serum to me? It also says you should apply to the ends but it doesn't mention roots/scalp? Here it is:

https://www.lookfantastic.com/kerastase-elixir-ultime-hair-oil-100ml/11160339.html

Anything you girls/guys would recommend over this?

Kellylee
May 9th, 2017, 11:03 AM
Are you looking for a oil treatment(let sit and your hair then wash out) or oil to use after washing?

Nbvoid97
May 9th, 2017, 11:04 AM
Are you looking for a oil treatment(let sit and your hair then wash out) or oil to use after washing?

Both. I want something to put in my hair for a few hours before I wash it and then something I can apply to the ends after I've washed it.

lapushka
May 9th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Any natural oil can be put in the hair pre-wash. I wouldn't put a serum in the hair for this purpose.

If you want a "finishing oil", then you can also use either natural oil (a tiny bit) or a serum. I have had great success with the serums from IC Fantasia. They are lightweight and moisturize a good amount!

I am currently using the Hegron serum (from a local discount store in Belgium called "Action", it's their own brand). I also tend to use the Aldi serums (Kyrell brand).

Whatever you can find in a store near you, will probably do! I don't know where you are located? So that might help if people are going to be recommending stuff. :flower:

Arete
May 9th, 2017, 12:45 PM
I like Apricot oil is my favorite, followed by safflower oil. Olive oil is my back up choice. Coconut oil makes my hair feel icky/doesn't really do much.

ephemeri
May 9th, 2017, 01:31 PM
You will likely have to do some experimenting. My hair loooves coconut oil and almond oil the most, along with some Nightblooming oil blends.

I've also tried argan, jojoba, apricot, olive, grapeseed, castor... jeez honestly I feel like I've tried almost every oil but coconut and almond came out on top. Jojoba, grapeseed and apricot were fine but not great. My hair didn't really like olive or argan. And my scalp doesn't like castor anywhere in the vicinity.

mizukitty
May 9th, 2017, 01:44 PM
I'm loving Sesa oil at the moment, from my local Indian grocery store. It's coconut oil based, but contains lots of herbs that are supposedly good for seborrheic dermatitis (me!) I left it on my scalp overnight and no itchies (which isn't the case with other oils... Looking at you, EVOO)

But yeah, for the length coconut is probably going to do most work at reducing hair damage from excessive water absorption/manipulation. If your hair doesn't like it, olive is also great.

If you have a normal scalp you can probably get away with putting any oil on it (just patch test first!!)

As for a leave in, you can probably use any (since your hair is thick), I personally like a coconut/mineral oil blend. Some penetrates, some sits on the surface, in theory.

Nbvoid97
May 12th, 2017, 02:00 PM
Any natural oil can be put in the hair pre-wash. I wouldn't put a serum in the hair for this purpose.

If you want a "finishing oil", then you can also use either natural oil (a tiny bit) or a serum. I have had great success with the serums from IC Fantasia. They are lightweight and moisturize a good amount!

I am currently using the Hegron serum (from a local discount store in Belgium called "Action", it's their own brand). I also tend to use the Aldi serums (Kyrell brand).

Whatever you can find in a store near you, will probably do! I don't know where you are located? So that might help if people are going to be recommending stuff. :flower:

I live in London,UK

You will likely have to do some experimenting. My hair loooves coconut oil and almond oil the most, along with some Nightblooming oil blends.

I've also tried argan, jojoba, apricot, olive, grapeseed, castor... jeez honestly I feel like I've tried almost every oil but coconut and almond came out on top. Jojoba, grapeseed and apricot were fine but not great. My hair didn't really like olive or argan. And my scalp doesn't like castor anywhere in the vicinity.

I'm loving Sesa oil at the moment, from my local Indian grocery store. It's coconut oil based, but contains lots of herbs that are supposedly good for seborrheic dermatitis (me!) I left it on my scalp overnight and no itchies (which isn't the case with other oils... Looking at you, EVOO)

But yeah, for the length coconut is probably going to do most work at reducing hair damage from excessive water absorption/manipulation. If your hair doesn't like it, olive is also great.

If you have a normal scalp you can probably get away with putting any oil on it (just patch test first!!)

As for a leave in, you can probably use any (since your hair is thick), I personally like a coconut/mineral oil blend. Some penetrates, some sits on the surface, in theory.

I guess I will try coconut first as I mostly hear good things about it.