PDA

View Full Version : Protein makes my hair look flowy in texture, moisture gives me more density, why?

pamela_07
May 8th, 2017, 07:33 PM
Ok so I have come to the conclusion that applying protein treatments, makes my hair feel like flowy,but when I apply lots of moisture
it gives me more density,more weight and that is exactly what I am looking for, but I don't understand why does this happen, in my mind I thought that protein
is the one that gave more density and strenght to hair,but the egg hair mask that I do, makes my hair feel like more frizzy or dull and take in mind that after every
protein treatment that I do after I apply a moisture conditioner.

akurah
May 8th, 2017, 08:38 PM
So I've never studied this, so this is conjecture, but....

which is thicker? wet paper towel? or dry? :rolling:

that's my theory anyway!

PixieP
May 9th, 2017, 04:34 AM
The protein in egg isn't small enough to penetrate the hair, so you're actually not getting any effect of that. In the herbs, recipes and henna-forum here there is a thread called SMT. On one of the last pages, a user called Anne has posted the recipe for a treatment that is protein and moisture in once. I have tried it and can vouch for it (however I would recommend using a bit less water than she recommends, and maybe add some aloe vera gel if your hair likes that). It uses gelatin for protein, that is small enough to be of use :)

lapushka
May 9th, 2017, 06:54 AM
Ok so I have come to the conclusion that applying protein treatments, makes my hair feel like flowy,but when I apply lots of moisture
it gives me more density,more weight and that is exactly what I am looking for, but I don't understand why does this happen, in my mind I thought that protein
is the one that gave more density and strenght to hair,but the egg hair mask that I do, makes my hair feel like more frizzy or dull and take in mind that after every
protein treatment that I do after I apply a moisture conditioner.

BTW, egg molecules are actually far too big to penetrate the hair. Only gelatin is a good DIY for protein. :flower: So I get why your results are totally skewed. :)

parallellines
May 9th, 2017, 07:32 PM
This is very helpful. Having often been told that egg masks would enrich my hair, I did try it once (a few years ago). Didn't see or feel any improvement and am generally quite happy with my hair so I didn't try it again.

Thank you for this information.