PDA

View Full Version : advice for hair, breaking off

mariposa0522
May 8th, 2017, 07:15 AM
I need some help desperately.
I went to the salon to highlight my hair, but i think the chemicals that they used where too strong.

Long story short, my ends keep breaking off.
I got a trim about 10 days ago when I noticed the ends, I cut off an inch from the ends. Did my usual weekly oiling (mixture of castor oil and coconut oil) left it over night washed it out in the morning and applied cholesterol and left it on for 15 minutes, and then let my hair air dry (i don't use heat on my hair). This is what I do, my hair loves it so when my hair finally dried my ends seemed to be well again.
This past weekend, I did my same routine, same products and steps mentioned above... but i noticed that after my hair air dried, the ends were dry and brittle and rough and just broke off.
So i read online that argon and almond oil are the best for dry hair... It mentioned coconut too, but i already use that religiously....Long story short, nothing is working...I don't know what to do... I don't want to cut my hair more... If I cut off the brittle parts, that's a good 4-5 inches, and I just don't want to do that.

TIPS PLEASE - what can i use to hydrate my ends so that I can avoid another hair trim :(

Anje
May 8th, 2017, 07:49 AM
Oil isn't doing it, so I'd suggest you try protein and moisture, either separate or combined. ApHogee 2-step protein treatment is a real favorite for over processed hair. Failing that, I've heard that an SMT with gelatin blended in works very well.

likelikepenny
May 8th, 2017, 08:48 AM
You need protein as stated above. I would try a gelatin treatment followed by a moisture treatment.

mariposa0522
May 8th, 2017, 08:55 AM
You need protein as stated above. I would try a gelatin treatment followed by a moisture treatment.

As a protein I have already been using cholesterol...

This is why I am confused as to what I should use

lapushka
May 8th, 2017, 09:08 AM

I would try the Aphogee, if I were you; they improved on their 2-step products and it now doesn't smell bad anymore and is a gel first step rather than a liquid.

Bleach is a nasty beast. Be careful with it. You might be reaching that point where it is just *too much*. I know this because I experienced the damage first hand. For me it got worse than this. I got a chemical cut & burn, so there was no getting out from under that. I went from bra strap right back to chin.

Salvage what you can. :flower:
But I would recommend a pro protein treatment!

mariposa0522
May 8th, 2017, 10:21 AM
I would try the Aphogee, if I were you; they improved on their 2-step products and it now doesn't smell bad anymore and is a gel first step rather than a liquid.

Bleach is a nasty beast. Be careful with it. You might be reaching that point where it is just *too much*. I know this because I experienced the damage first hand. For me it got worse than this. I got a chemical cut & burn, so there was no getting out from under that. I went from bra strap right back to chin.

Salvage what you can. :flower:
But I would recommend a pro protein treatment!

Oh ok... I understand what you ladies mean :) Thank you so much
I am going to head over to my nearest beauty supply store to grab the 2 step program.

What do you recommend to do after doing the Aphogee treatment... Just let it air dry?

usually after treatments i add a rice size drop of coconut oil all over my hair to tame the frizz.... should i do that or just leave it alone after the Aphogee treatment...
I am sorry guys, I am just freaking out over here!

lapushka
May 8th, 2017, 10:50 AM
What do you recommend to do after doing the Aphogee treatment... Just let it air dry?

usually after treatments i add a rice size drop of coconut oil all over my hair to tame the frizz.... should i do that or just leave it alone after the Aphogee treatment...
I am sorry guys, I am just freaking out over here!

If you are used to air drying, and it works, just do that, yes.

The coconut oil is fine to use!

I do understand how scary this can be!!! Hang in there.

Bhruninha
May 8th, 2017, 10:59 AM
Your hair needs protein to stop the breakage. The best product I've used is Redken CAT. You spray it on after shampooing, let it sit for 3 minutes and then condition it. Very easy and effective, immediately stops the breakage for me.

lapushka
May 8th, 2017, 11:15 AM
Your hair needs protein to stop the breakage. The best product I've used is Redken CAT. You spray it on after shampooing, let it sit for 3 minutes and then condition it. Very easy and effective, immediately stops the breakage for me.

After you let it sit for 3 min. Do you rinse it out, or immediately condition? I suppose you rinse it out?

Anje
May 8th, 2017, 01:11 PM

Cholesterol is more of a wax than a protein. (Edit: Technically, it's a lipid, but in a sterol form rather than your classic fatty acid structure.) Completely different chemical structures. You need hydrolyzed protein.

Hay_jules
May 8th, 2017, 01:36 PM
Cholesterol is more of a wax than a protein. Completely different chemical structures. You need hydrolyzed protein.

Thank you for this, I was wondering about that.

lapushka
May 8th, 2017, 01:55 PM
Cholesterol is more of a wax than a protein. Completely different chemical structures. You need hydrolyzed protein.

Don't cholesterol products contain mineral oil? I have a sample of one here, and I think it does, if memory serves me right. But it might vary product to product. Or, wait, was that hair mayonnaise? Hmm. :hmm:

likelikepenny
May 8th, 2017, 02:02 PM
I would do a moisture treatment after your aphogee treatment. Protein is great, but without balancing it with moisture, it can cause the hair to be dry and brittle.

lapushka
May 8th, 2017, 02:21 PM
I would do a moisture treatment after your aphogee treatment. Protein is great, but without balancing it with moisture, it can cause the hair to be dry and brittle.

I agree. Even though the Aphogee 2-step is a protein + a moisturizing step. I would follow up with a nice DT (deep treatment). Maybe an SMT or the like, or you could do a regular deep conditioning mask. :) All up to you. You do have some choice here. It should be enough to revive those dry and brittle ends; and if it's not enough, get back to us with your progress so far!

vega
May 8th, 2017, 02:36 PM
I recommend joico k pak best protein treatment hands down does what it says very effective

mizukitty
May 8th, 2017, 03:02 PM
Don't cholesterol products contain mineral oil? I have a sample of one here, and I think it does, if memory serves me right. But it might vary product to product. Or, wait, was that hair mayonnaise? Hmm. :hmm:

Yes, a lot of them do. I have the Queen Helene Super Cholesterol stuff and it makes your hair feel super thick and strong. It doesn't feel like a typical protein treatment in that it doesn't leave your hair feeling all brittle - probably due to the mineral oil and lanolin. Definitely not a conditioner for softness/moisture though!

Anje
May 8th, 2017, 03:15 PM
Yeah, the Queen Helene Cholesterol has mineral oil, as well as lanolin and SDS. No protein, though.

Queen Helene Cholesterol Ingredients: Water, Stearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Mineral Oil, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cholesterol, Lanolin, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum), FD&C Yellow 5, FD&C Yellow 6, FD&C Red 40, D&C Red 33

ETA:

No protein in the Proclaim cholesterol either:

Proclaim Cream Cholesterol Ingredients: WATER ,STEARIC ACID ,PETROLATUM ,MINERAL OIL ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,SODIUM HYDROXIDE ,ACRYLATES/C10-30 ALKYL ACRYLATE CROSSPOL ,PEG-150 STEARATE ,STEARETH-20 ,DIMETHICONE ,DMDM HYDANTOIN ,PHENOXYETHANOL ,POLYSORBATE 60 ,FRAGRANCE ,CHOLESTEROL ,ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF EXTRACT ,YELLOW 5 ,AMYL CINNAMAL ,HEXYL CINNAMAL
Given the rather alarming position of NaOH on the list, I'm going to assume that this is pretty much just and oil-water emulsion, unless they're listing stearic acid and sodium hydroxide separately when they've actually been saponified together. Kind of a strange set of ingredients, IMO.

---------------------------

LeKair Cholesterol Plus does look like it has some protein, in the form of hydrolyzed collagen. Note that the ingredients list I found looks a lot more like a traditional conditioner, though. Also, it's apparently been discontinued.

LeKair Cholesterol Plus Ingredients: Ingredients: Purified Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol & PEG 40, Hydrogenated Castor Oil & Stearalkonium Choloride, Mineral oil, Cholesterol, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Citric Acid, Aloe, Jojoba Oil, Vitamin E, Acetate, Vitamin A & D, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben,Tetrasodium, EDTA, FD&C Yellow #5, FD&C Red #4, Fragrance.

lapushka
May 8th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Yeah... I think I have hair mayonnaise. Oops. :o But at least I was right about the MO. :p I think that at some point I wanted to buy some and changed my mind after reading the ingredients... even though I do have some masks and conditioners (a.o. from Le Petit Marseillais) that have MO in them. I'm not averse to MO, but it's not an ingredient that does a lot for me in terms of conditioning, I've found (not in conditioners, but baby oil on its own does do a lot for me - it's odd, I know). I found that I have "heavier" stuff still, such as my HE Hello Hydration.

mizukitty
May 8th, 2017, 03:42 PM
The "super" variety from Queen Helene looks a bit different! This is one I use:

Water (Aqua), Glyceryl Stearate, Mineral Oil, Stearyl Alcohol, Lanolin, Myristamidopropyl Dimenthylamine Phosphate, Cholesterol, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Keratin Amino Acids, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Parfum), Methylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Yellow #5 (Ci#19140), Yellow #6(Ci#15985), Red #40 (Ci#16035), Red #33 (Ci#17200).

I suppose it contains less protein than standard protein treatments, and has a lot more "coating" ingredients which creates the "fullness" effect on my hair. No weighing down, either!

Dark40
May 8th, 2017, 09:33 PM
I need some help desperately.
I went to the salon to highlight my hair, but i think the chemicals that they used where too strong.

Long story short, my ends keep breaking off.
I got a trim about 10 days ago when I noticed the ends, I cut off an inch from the ends. Did my usual weekly oiling (mixture of castor oil and coconut oil) left it over night washed it out in the morning and applied cholesterol and left it on for 15 minutes, and then let my hair air dry (i don't use heat on my hair). This is what I do, my hair loves it so when my hair finally dried my ends seemed to be well again.
This past weekend, I did my same routine, same products and steps mentioned above... but i noticed that after my hair air dried, the ends were dry and brittle and rough and just broke off.
So i read online that argon and almond oil are the best for dry hair... It mentioned coconut too, but i already use that religiously....Long story short, nothing is working...I don't know what to do... I don't want to cut my hair more... If I cut off the brittle parts, that's a good 4-5 inches, and I just don't want to do that.

TIPS PLEASE - what can i use to hydrate my ends so that I can avoid another hair trim :(

The cholesterol isn't a protein. It's a deep conditioner to moisturize the hair. I use that all of the time to moisturize my hair every week. But like what everybody is saying your hair does need protein to bring it back to stop the breakage. I know a really great protein/moisturizing conditioner that you can use weekly is: ORS Replenishing conditioner. I use that once a month or once a week for my protein treatment. It's a rather light protein treatment, and believe me after you leave it in for 15 minutes or 45 minutes your hair will come out feeling like butter!!!

Deborah
May 8th, 2017, 11:08 PM
Your hair is already long. I think you might want to consider trimming off :scissors: a few inches of those damaged ends. Your hair would still be nice and long, but would look and feel a lot better.

SunnyRose
May 9th, 2017, 12:19 AM
deleted comment

MotherofJames
May 9th, 2017, 05:57 AM
Mariposa, is that your hair in your profile picture? I noticed it said #hairgoals so I wasn't sure . If so, then Deborah's advice about trimming it off might work well for you .