PDA

View Full Version : Trims and growth methods

avanerp4
May 7th, 2017, 08:13 PM
I want to know about trims. Should I do it? Does it even matter? I want long healthy hair with minimal breakage, but I don't want to constantly take off length to do so. I realize there are oil treatments and what not to help with growth, but I want to achieve length with as little effort possible ie cutting out trims. I currently wash my hair every three days and would like to get it down to once or twice a week. Will that affect the growing process? Lay your wisdom on me LHC.

spidermom
May 7th, 2017, 08:38 PM
I can only think of 2 reasons for trims: 1) the ends are dried out and damaged, so you trim to prevent the damage from spreading up the hair shaft, and 2) to maintain a shape. I always liked for my ends to be relatively thick and to have a specific shape - U being my favorite - so I trimmed. I grew my hair out to classic length but am now enjoying a much shorter length.

Kellylee
May 7th, 2017, 09:40 PM
If you are looking to rarely trim I would recommend you get a good trim right now. So you have really healthy thick ends and just keep them healthy. I tried babying damaged ends and not trimming them and all it caused was further breakage my hair. If I would have cut all the old layers and dry ends off a while ago my hair would be a lot longer now. i also find when my ends are healthy I have a much easier time not using heat.

lizardspots
May 8th, 2017, 12:12 AM
I know there are some people on LHC who don't trim at all. You'll end up with fairytale ends - if that's the look you're going for. I am trying to gain length but also grow out layers & old dye, so I do a small trim every 6 months. I know others prefer a microtrim once a month. It just depends on how your ends are looking, how much effort you want to put in, and what style you're going for. Are you looking to trim your own hair?

Siri
May 8th, 2017, 12:44 AM
I trim mine very rarely. I trim it to even the ends, wanting it blunt and straight across so I trim it to keep the straight shape. I may trim a little more often though in future because I want to return my hair to it's natural dark/medium brown color and get rid of the black dye.

Horrorpops
May 8th, 2017, 12:54 AM
I went for about 2 years with only one trim, and then I've had the last year when I've trimmed about 3 times (so every 4 months).
From my experience:

Less/minimal trims: my hair grew a lot longer (because I wasn't cutting it off), but my ends did get more tangley and splitty.
More/regular trims: my hair is taking longer to regain length, but my ends are super thick and soft.

So I guess it depends what you would prefer first - and what you prioritize. I actually prefer the wispier, "fairy-tale" ends on my hair so I am thinking of dropping back to minimal trims again. Thick, soft ends are nice from a styling and handling point though.

lapushka
May 8th, 2017, 04:33 AM
I want to know about trims. Should I do it? Does it even matter? I want long healthy hair with minimal breakage, but I don't want to constantly take off length to do so. I realize there are oil treatments and what not to help with growth, but I want to achieve length with as little effort possible ie cutting out trims. I currently wash my hair every three days and would like to get it down to once or twice a week. Will that affect the growing process? Lay your wisdom on me LHC.

As long as you aren't trimming every 6 to 8 weeks, you should be good, because that is totally not necessary. While it might be OK if you are maintaining a particular "cut", it is not okay for growing out hair (because it takes all your growth off).

Doing a small trim a few times a year sounds about right. When I was maintaining at classic, I trimmed every 4 months, so 3 times a year and let my mom take 2 inches off each time. That's my growth for the year.

It all depends on how much your hair grows, and how much growth you actually want for the year, I guess.

Siv
May 8th, 2017, 04:57 AM
So much useful advice here! :) I tend to trim once every six months because my split ends get unmanageable at that point, and my hair gets longer at a decent rate with that trim frequency. If I don't trim, it just looks ratty and doesn't grow longer. Eventually I'll have to chop off quite a few inches/decimeters. I assume that's because, as spidermom said, the splits spread up the hair shaft. I haven't really been into hair care for a long time however, so I guess we'll see how often I feel like trimming now! I hope, with a lot of babying, my hair will be healthier, have less split ends, require less trimming, and get longer faster.

ephemeri
May 8th, 2017, 05:17 AM
You don't really have to trim, but if you have a lot of split ends it's a good idea to catch them early before they travel way back up the lengths. You can avoid trims/save length but still S&D to get rid of splits and bent ends.

ZeppHead
May 8th, 2017, 05:59 AM
I would do a tiny trim once every 4 to 6 months and still get some good growth along with healthy ends. Schedule your trims on a calender early on so you know when to trim.

draysmir
May 8th, 2017, 09:00 AM
I think it depends on how damaged your hair is to begin with, and how easily your hair gets damaged as it grows. If your hair already has a decent amount of damage when you're first starting your hair growth journey, then you will probably need to trim that off, because the damage is just going to continue to get worse as you grow it out. If you have a bit or almost no damage at the length you're at right now, then I don't see why you would have to trim anytime soon, if you don't mind the look of fairytale ends. Personally, my hair is fine and gets damaged easily, so letting my hair grow too long without trimming (ex. a year or more) will give me too much damage, and the growth I get will not be retained since my damage is breaking off at a similar rate, or if it does get retained, it will just look bad and be hard to manage. So if your hair is more prone to damage, then you will probably have to sacrifice some length every year in order to keep your damage from getting too bad. If not, then you could probably go without trimming for however long you want really, if you don't mind how your hemline looks from not trimming for so long. In terms of the frequency of shampooing your hair, the less often you do it the better basically. If your hair can handle only being washed once or twice a week, then I would suggest that :)

These are just my personal suggestions though, something else might work better for you, or the opposite I said might work better for you, I think you just need to find a balance between length and trimming for your own hair, everyone is different! :p

Aredhel
May 8th, 2017, 09:29 AM
Personally, like others here, I'm power-growing with no trims to one of my desired lengths, and then I will be trimming often to maintain and thicken my hem. :) I do micro trim once in a blue moon now still, but that's only when my ends get unbearably tangly. I also S&D sporadically whenever I spot particularly bad splits.

avanerp4
May 8th, 2017, 02:09 PM
This is some great advice, everyone. Thank you!

Doom
May 8th, 2017, 03:33 PM
I can only think of 2 reasons for trims: 1) the ends are dried out and damaged, so you trim to prevent the damage from spreading up the hair shaft, and 2) to maintain a shape. I always liked for my ends to be relatively thick and to have a specific shape - U being my favorite - so I trimmed. I grew my hair out to classic length but am now enjoying a much shorter length.
3) to get rid of layers.

Rebeccalaurenxx
May 8th, 2017, 04:40 PM
Depends on your hair type.. some people need trims more often than others. My fine hair type can only go 6 months.

EliseMarie
May 8th, 2017, 05:14 PM
3) to get rid of layers.

Yes!! I agree.

Cg
May 8th, 2017, 05:17 PM
A lot depends on how fast your hair grows and your preferences. I trim every six weeks to keep a straight blunt cut and still get 6-8" per year.

Andthetalltrees
May 8th, 2017, 05:35 PM
I haven't trimmed in 14 months. Last time I grew to waist I had trims every 6 months or so just out of curiosity it didn't effect my hair much other then keeping the shape and ends even. I really prefer not cutting my hair when I'm growing it out (It really doesn't get damaged easily and I've never used heat or color)

Dark40
May 8th, 2017, 06:28 PM
I would only trim if I have damaged hair or split ends. I only trim once a year. Or, whenever I feel there is a need to trim. If you baby your ends, and take good care throughout there isn't any need for a trim. I haven't had a small trim since November or last year, and my ends are in top condition!!! Oh, and both relax and color my hair! But my hair doesn't hardly get damaged or don't get any split ends at all. That's because of all the conditioning and moisturizing I do to it. I co-wash 2 or 3 times a week, and then I deep condition twice a week, and I use all sorts of oil treatments on my hair and scalp as well.

maborosi
May 8th, 2017, 06:42 PM
I honestly believe one of the big reasons I've been able to get my hair to this point was, in part, due to regular trims to keep splits away.
Plus it's kept my hemline thick!

Deborah
May 8th, 2017, 11:03 PM
I honestly believe one of the big reasons I've been able to get my hair to this point was, in part, due to regular trims to keep splits away.
Plus it's kept my hemline thick!

I agree with this. By trimming off the damaged or split or thin and scraggly or badly layered or whatever else part it is you don't like about your hair, you can from then on HAVE good, healthy, evenly cut, beautiful hair to grow as long as you want. Otherwise a person often has long but bad looking hair because length is the only goal. By trimming as you go you can have lovely hair while growing, not just off in the distant future.

akurah
May 9th, 2017, 12:24 AM
Hair grows on average 6 inches or 15 centimeters a year (slightly disputed (http://www.livescience.com/42868-how-fast-does-hair-grow.html))

If you want your hair to grow, you need to make sure you trim significantly less than that in a year. And that's assuming average growth rate--if your hair grows slower, you want to trim less.