PDA

View Full Version : What's so bad about scrunchies anyway?

Prism
May 7th, 2017, 01:51 PM
On a couple TV shows (Sex and the City being one) they've made fun of scrunchy wearers as if they have no style at all. What's so bad about a scrunchy? I'm sitting here, looking at some 100% charmeuse silk ones on Etsy and drooling, imagining them in my hair. I love silk, and charmeuse is just luxurious. I've ordered a silk charmeuse pillowcase from Dharma Trading Company that I've loved before. My hair slides around on the pillow without friction. I don't want my life to be governed by what a television show says is stylish, but I also live close to Los Angeles, and it seems like style is scrutinized even more here. I don't want to look frumpy, and I'm not sure whether or not scrunchies do make me look that way. Your thoughts?

Secondly, I'd like to know, for those of you who have silk scrunchies, do they stay in your hair or just slip around and out of position?

Thanks, ladies (and gents!)

pandabarrier
May 7th, 2017, 02:00 PM
I don't own silk scrunchies, but a few cotton and velvet ones. I like to wear them on a low ponytail because they don't snag on my hair, I don't care if a TV show makes fun of them.

Prism
May 7th, 2017, 02:08 PM
Velvet sounds delicious. I think I'll keep my eye out for a black velvet one.

karenkte
May 7th, 2017, 02:13 PM
I wear what I like , what I feel good in and what suits me......and I don't take that much notice of what's in and out of fashion because if you wait long enough most things go out and back in fashion. So if you love scrunchies and silk and they feel good in your hair just do it ....for you ....and not to suit a trend or anyone else.

lithostoic
May 7th, 2017, 02:15 PM
Last time I checked, scrunchies were "in".

Prism
May 7th, 2017, 02:16 PM
I will, but I want to make sure I don't look frumpy. I tend to gravitate to things that are considered frumpy (like a male friend referred to my jeans as "mom jeans."). :)

going gray
May 7th, 2017, 02:33 PM
I also wear them in a low ponytail, the silk ones if tied right to do not slip. Also love the way they are so extemely gentle with my hair. Couldn't give a "care" what other people think. Etsy does have gorgeous combinations.

Aredhel
May 7th, 2017, 02:35 PM
I don't know about the rest of the world, but they're definitely "in" in this community. ;) If you really think about it, most things we do here (growing hair to extreme lengths, collecting and using hair toys, wearing buns with hair sticks, using homemade hair products/treatments, herbal rinses/washes, etc) aren't conventionally "in" anyway, so IMO always take society's opinion on anything hair-related with a grain of salt. :)

Prism
May 7th, 2017, 02:40 PM
Aredhel, you make a good point. I really don't care what society thinks about long hair, so this should be no different. I'm off to order some scrunchies! :)

SunnyRose
May 7th, 2017, 02:41 PM
deleted comment

littlestarface
May 7th, 2017, 02:45 PM
I'm from cali too but i'm from the farm part so my opinion wont matter lol

I have a charmeuse silk one from etsy lol I never wear it unless its at the end of a braid. It's way to small for my hair and I got a large one but heck no it is not no large. I can wrap it maybe only twice and the second time I can barely get it my hair through it. It slips right out of my hair I don't like it but the color is pretty, it's a soft pink.

If you look at my wrist you can see it, so tiny for a large.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24813&d=1475396346

lapushka
May 7th, 2017, 02:46 PM
I wear what I like , what I feel good in and what suits me......and I don't take that much notice of what's in and out of fashion because if you wait long enough most things go out and back in fashion. So if you love scrunchies and silk and they feel good in your hair just do it ....for you ....and not to suit a trend or anyone else.

I agree 100%. I still have my stash from the 80s, headband scrunchies and all (that was in then too here). :D

Prism
May 7th, 2017, 02:48 PM
Thanks for explaining. That makes perfect sense. In fairness I have to say that I found many of Carrie's outfits to be things I'd never wear because they were too bizarre. I wonder why I'm not seeing them in stores here. The beauty of the Internet--the ability to order what you want when and where you want it!

Prism
May 7th, 2017, 02:50 PM
I agree 100%. I still have my stash from the 80s, headband scrunchies and all (that was in then too here). :D

How do you store them? I need a better system.

Aredhel
May 7th, 2017, 02:51 PM
Aredhel, you make a good point. I really don't care what society thinks about long hair, so this should be no different. I'm off to order some scrunchies! :)

That's the spirit! :oI love my silk scrunchies, they feel so much more comfortable in my hair than evil hair elastics. I've actually been drooling over some handpainted ones on Etsy myself...

Also to answer your second question, if I use a scrunchy on my freshly washed hair, it'll slowly slip down throughout the day, especially if I don't tie it tightly enough, but it won't just fall out. Once my scalp has produced a little sebum though, my hair can hold anything. :)

Hairkay
May 7th, 2017, 02:52 PM
Scrunchies work fine for me. I ignore what tv says about such things. I found it very annoying that two friends of mine picked up the obsession of owning many types of shoes and handbags after being hooked on that show. I honestly can't be thrilled over spending a lot on yet another pair of shoes or a bag when you already have enough functioning shoes. One of them even used the show as a part of sex education. Now that had my jaw dropping because it was very inaccurate.

Joyful Mystery
May 7th, 2017, 02:56 PM
I like scrunchies! I don't own any silk ones, just the cotton ones. I use them for low ponytails; they work just fine for my hair.

Prism
May 7th, 2017, 02:58 PM
Happy to say I just ordered a beautiful silk charmeuse scrunchy in silver (to go with my now graying hair :)). Thanks, Ladies!

Aredhel
May 7th, 2017, 03:04 PM
Happy to say I just ordered a beautiful silk charmeuse scrunchy in silver (to go with my now graying hair :)). Thanks, Ladies!

Yay! :happydance:

Groovy Granny
May 7th, 2017, 03:07 PM
I love scrunchies and have them in all sizes and materials... but not silk; some I even crocheted myself.

They are great for the days I have a headache(in a low loose ponytail) , or I just want to keep my hair safely off my face when puttering around the house.

Most of my purchases were from my grocery store, walmart, or threddies on Etsy.

I like basic colors and earth tones, and usually go for the best deals.... being the 'fugal granny' I am.:o
So I never bought 'silk', and always found what I had to be safe and gentle on my fine silver :shrug:

Good for you ~ enjoy :cheer:

Andthetalltrees
May 7th, 2017, 03:14 PM
I've came to the conclusion 'style' is nothing more then a marketing gimmick to make you buy more out of shame :run: .

spidermom
May 7th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Don't care about Sex and the City; some of the fashions on that show were hideous in my opinion. However, I usually have only worn scrunchies to secure my hair while sleeping or around the house/yard, and yes - for holding my hair back while I wash my face. I don't think I've ever worn one as a fashion statement.

Lady Stardust
May 7th, 2017, 03:17 PM
I used to have black velvet and black lace scrunchies and they always stayed in place well, and most importantly, didn't wreck my hair. I never thought they looked frumpy.

That particular episode of Sex and the City does make me irrationally angry though, it's so ridiculous the way Carrie waves her arms around yelling about scrunchies, I really couldn't imagine anyone could have such strong feelings about such an insignificant thing.

Prism
May 7th, 2017, 03:21 PM
Lady Stardust, Your post made me LOL as I imagined Carrie flapping her arms about while declaring her loathing of scrunchies. :)

SunnyRose
May 7th, 2017, 03:23 PM
Don't care about Sex and the City; some of the fashions on that show were hideous in my opinion. However, I usually have only worn scrunchies to secure my hair while sleeping or around the house/yard, and yes - for holding my hair back while I wash my face. I don't think I've ever worn one as a fashion statement.

Yes me neither. I use scrunchies more so as a comfortable band to quickly pull up my hair and get it out of my face on lazy days at home. The show Sex and the City is full of just silly humor and what the ladies say shouldn't be taken seriously anyway.

spidermom
May 7th, 2017, 03:24 PM
I used to have black velvet and black lace scrunchies and they always stayed in place well, and most importantly, didn't wreck my hair. I never thought they looked frumpy.

That particular episode of Sex and the City does make me irrationally angry though, it's so ridiculous the way Carrie waves her arms around yelling about scrunchies, I really couldn't imagine anyone could have such strong feelings about such an insignificant thing.

And then she was surprised that her BF was offended. I agree - stupid episode.

Lady Stardust
May 7th, 2017, 03:26 PM
Oh Prism you'd LOL even more if you could see the scowl on my face while she waves her arms about. I haven't seen it for years but I'm sure I wouldn't be able to watch it without muttering.

Prism
May 7th, 2017, 03:35 PM
::snort!:: lol

Arctic
May 7th, 2017, 03:36 PM
I was young when the original fashion came along and like many things that were in fashion back then don't appeal to me anymore when they have come back in fashion. I do have few scrunchies (a silk and a velvet one) neither has been damaging that I have noticed but I rarely ever use them because, well, I just don't use much hair elastics (as a umbrella term including also scrunchies) for other than securing off my braid, and for that purpose (my) scrunchies are too big. The velvet one might cause more friction than the more smooth fabrics but it's probably nothing to worry about.

So I'm not a fan but I don't care what other people use/wear. They are comfortable and most likely less damaging than thin hair elastics are, and they have many positive qualities.

Suze
May 7th, 2017, 03:37 PM
I use scrunchies too, I have a few black velvet ones. I store them in a little box together with al my other hairthings like spin pins and mini claw clips.

Awesome that you ordered one! :cheer:

Hairkay
May 7th, 2017, 03:43 PM
I've came to the conclusion 'style' is nothing more then a marketing gimmick to make you buy more out of shame :run: .

That is exactly it's purpose. That's why we buy more than we need before stuff that we have is worn out. It's best to get adaptable staples that you can add accents to that will keep them up to date.

lapushka
May 7th, 2017, 04:00 PM
How do you store them? I need a better system.

They're all in a basket in one of my bathroom closets.

Andthetalltrees
May 7th, 2017, 04:17 PM
That is exactly it's purpose. That's why we buy more than we need before stuff that we have is worn out. It's best to get adaptable staples that you can add accents to that will keep them up to date.

I sew my own clothes for this very reason, I can make well made things that will last me years and will be made however I like to look or feel. It's very freeing in a way to not be constrained (It's hilarious when my stuff comes into style and people think I do it on purpose not knowing I've had those pants for 3+ years :cool: )

Hairkay
May 7th, 2017, 05:14 PM
I sew my own clothes for this very reason, I can make well made things that will last me years and will be made however I like to look or feel. It's very freeing in a way to not be constrained (It's hilarious when my stuff comes into style and people think I do it on purpose not knowing I've had those pants for 3+ years :cool: )

I also sew. Yes it is strange when stuff you've made years ago just gets discovered. I recall us being out in a well known chain store and they'd recently made something that looked like my soft furnishings. My young nephew piped up, "but auntie has had these for years!".:D

Siri
May 7th, 2017, 05:54 PM
I like scrunchies actually no I love scrunchies! :crush: I like that that they come in all colors and fabrics, are soft and comfortable in my hair and they stay in my hair without pulling it out :magic: ... yup I love them! :blossom:

Robot Ninja
May 7th, 2017, 06:00 PM
I think Sex and the City's target audience was people who grew up in the '80s and still look back in horror at some of the stuff we used to wear. Such as scrunchies. But the people that the trends are aimed at today were too young to remember the '80s, if they were alive then at all, so all the fashions can be recycled and are cool and retro.

Personally I don't care for scrunchies, because I did grow up in the '80s, but going off on a rant over what other people are wearing is a bit silly. Even if they do cause some internal facepalming over how you used to wear the same thing to hold up your high side ponytails that you used to think were cool. Not that I'm admitting to once thinking side ponytails were cool or anything, you understand, I'm just saying that some hypothetical person might have, and might have therefore sworn off scrunchies for life.

pastina
May 7th, 2017, 06:30 PM
Pfft, I love scrunchies. When I got a "trim" that brought me from TBL+ to braaaa strappp lengthhhh (I'm Not over it, GAHH!), I used scrunchies to ponytail my hair before bunning, which provided an anchor for my hair sticks. Because otherwise my poor stick would be sent flying across the room when my hair decided to spit it out. Oof.

My hair's back to a length when I can bun without an anchor, but I still wear a scrunchie on my wrist, just in case my hair decides to have an extra slippery day. I've found ones with bows on them are especially cute as bun anchors, because the bow falls right in the middle of my LWB in a way that looks put together and adorable. (Got a bunch at Claires!)

I don't particularly care if they're in or out of fashion because, well, I like them and I'm gunna do what I want regardless, lol. But then, I'm not the best person to take advice on that stuff from-- I kind of do my own thing. Stores here are showing things that are very clearly 90s inspired and it's common now that people dye their hair rainbow colors. I've been out of fashion so long that I'm apparently trendy, lol!

To answer the slippage question- yes. Totally. They slide right out of my hair unless I bun over/around them. ....But, so did traditional hair elastics when I used them-- I always had much better luck with claw clips. But, these seem so much safer for hair.

Obsidian
May 7th, 2017, 08:19 PM
Growing up in the 80's, the word scrunchie makes me think of those horrid, gigantic neon monstrosities that were so popular then. I hated them then and for many years after. I do however, like the modern dainty scrunchies like the ones from scunci. I have silky ones, soft ones and even some colorful velvet ones, I like the velvet most.

yahirwaO.o
May 7th, 2017, 11:51 PM
Well they are undeniably great for hair.... I used to have velvet and silk black ones a couple of years ago. But then i started to see them really ....not go great I think.

Im.not into fashion that much but its a bit weird for a guy to have such noticeable accessorie and i really prefer a more subtle look. So i went back to basic hair tie and I feel much better with those.

If other people wear them.i couldn't care less, but for me it's a big no noo

Siv
May 8th, 2017, 03:30 AM
A scrunchie ponytail reminds me too much of the 90's for some reason, I think my mum would do my hair like that when I was a kid. But I really like a bun secured with a scrunchie!

Chamomile betty
May 8th, 2017, 05:47 AM
I just wore a low ponytail yesterday with a grey scrunchi. It is the only comfortable way for me. I don't care for elastic bands. Actually I have a few banana clips in my stash as well. They are still being sold too.

embee
May 8th, 2017, 05:57 AM
I found that scrunchies were great for a topknot bun. Any other style they just slip away, but my hair is straight, slippery, and not thick. Scrunchy could add some much needed volume to the look. :) And was not at all damaging. Unfortunately the elastic gave out on mine, so they're gone.

But now that you mention it... maybe it's time to get a new one (or two).

... and do you really care what some silly tv show said? Walk your own path!

olivetime
May 8th, 2017, 08:26 AM
I am excited to buy a scrunchie now. :) Anyone have a favourite etsy shop?

abribun
May 8th, 2017, 08:39 AM
I was actually starting to think scrunchies were "in" again! I personally like wear them because I feel like them cause less breakage in my hair. I don't think you should care what a tv show thinks of them anyways.

Garnetgem
May 8th, 2017, 08:41 AM
I expect they went out of fashion but what is fashion anyway? i have always worn scrunchies and wont stop because of a fashion saying otherwise..they are kind to hair and don't cause breakage and whats more look nice..silky ones for me tend to slide off but silky ones with detail like sequins stay put..i have many cotton ones which i love as they are lightweight and gentle to hair..oh i have velvet ones too in fact i have quite a collection!

i too have made many myself as i get to choose the material and things...bring on the scrunchies!

NightSister
May 8th, 2017, 09:09 AM
I think scrunchies deserve more credit than they get! Especially the silk ones, since they aren't as bulky as other fabric types. I think head accessories are the most forgiving when it comes to style :)

The Maple Leaf
May 8th, 2017, 10:37 AM
I for one like seeing scrunchies, esp. on a bun.

WildandSeawhite
May 8th, 2017, 10:54 AM
I will, but I want to make sure I don't look frumpy. I tend to gravitate to things that are considered frumpy (like a male friend referred to my jeans as "mom jeans."). :)

I love scrunchies! And I didn't know they make silk ones! I'll have to look for those now. Regular elastics tend to snag my hair. At night, I braid my hair and tie it off with a scrunchie. I'm also not opposed to wearing them in public. I've never been someone who follows the latest fashion. I'm happiest in jeans or a skirt, t-shirt, and cowboy boots. As someone else said, fashions change all the time. Something that was considered "out" yesterday, will be "in" again tomorrow. It's so silly.

And I've noticed, looking at Pinterest and online, that high-waisted "mom jeans" are "in" again and popular especially with people in their 20s. So, you're totally fashion forward! :D

Aredhel
May 8th, 2017, 11:22 AM
Great point, WildandSeawhite. :) The thing I love about the times we live in is that most people are pretty much weird and unique in their own right anyway. I've seen people wear the quirkiest things and nobody bats an eye (I mean really, look what celebrities often wear). I sometimes wear leggings with armour prints on them, and I have worn small pieces of armour as accessories (think shoulder armour, gorgets and chainmail....). Now that's pretty weird. Wear whatever you feel the most "you" in! :)

WildandSeawhite
May 8th, 2017, 11:33 AM
Great point, WildandSeawhite. :) The thing I love about the times we live in is that most people are pretty much weird and unique in their own right anyway. I've seen people wear the quirkiest things and nobody bats an eye (I mean really, look what celebrities often wear). I sometimes wear leggings with armour prints on them, and I have worn small pieces of armour as accessories (think shoulder armour, gorgets and chainmail....). Now that's pretty weird. Wear whatever you feel the most "you" in! :)

I think that's awesome that you incorporate armour into your outfits! I'd love to see that! I'm totally nerdy about all things fantasy. I had this idea about designing a knit wear dress with asymmetrical pauldrons worked into the shoulders, but I'm just learning how to use a sewing machine. I also don't own a dress dummy. I'd love to see more armour-inspired fashion out there!

Hay_jules
May 8th, 2017, 11:35 AM
I think Sex and the City's target audience was people who grew up in the '80s and still look back in horror at some of the stuff we used to wear. Such as scrunchies. But the people that the trends are aimed at today were too young to remember the '80s, if they were alive then at all, so all the fashions can be recycled and are cool and retro.

Personally I don't care for scrunchies, because I did grow up in the '80s, but going off on a rant over what other people are wearing is a bit silly. Even if they do cause some internal facepalming over how you used to wear the same thing to hold up your high side ponytails that you used to think were cool. Not that I'm admitting to once thinking side ponytails were cool or anything, you understand, I'm just saying that some hypothetical person might have, and might have therefore sworn off scrunchies for life.

This made me laugh. Of course not because I can relate to it or anything like that.

To answer the scrunchie question, yes i own one (black cotton). Yes it slips, I use it for a quick bun cuz it falls right out of a ponytail for me. No I won't wear it out in public but that's a personal preference based on the fact that i lived in one in the 80s/90s. I wear it around the house but it's not the first thing i reach for. I'm totally gonna borrow Pastina's method of using it to secure a bun. As for if it's "in", i see them everywhere in stores so I would absolutely say they are.

Aredhel
May 8th, 2017, 12:06 PM
I think that's awesome that you incorporate armour into your outfits! I'd love to see that! I'm totally nerdy about all things fantasy. I had this idea about designing a knit wear dress with asymmetrical pauldrons worked into the shoulders, but I'm just learning how to use a sewing machine. I also don't own a dress dummy. I'd love to see more armour-inspired fashion out there!

Thanks, and me too, I'm happy to meet someone else who appreciates armour! :D You should totally do it, I would love to see a dress like that! Pauldrons can look so amazing worn on their own without other armour. Unfortunately I'm not talented enough to sew my own clothing or make my own leather/plate armour, but I do make all of my own chainmail. I'm usually too lazy to post pictures, but perhaps at some point soon I'll take some and post them in the Crafts & Hobbies forum, and/or in one of my albums. :)

WildandSeawhite
May 8th, 2017, 03:15 PM
Thanks, and me too, I'm happy to meet someone else who appreciates armour! :D You should totally do it, I would love to see a dress like that! Pauldrons can look so amazing worn on their own without other armour. Unfortunately I'm not talented enough to sew my own clothing or make my own leather/plate armour, but I do make all of my own chainmail. I'm usually too lazy to post pictures, but perhaps at some point soon I'll take some and post them in the Crafts & Hobbies forum, and/or in one of my albums. :)

Making chainmail is no easy feat, I'm sure! Doing anything creative with your hands takes patience and talent. I look forward to seeing photos of your work! :)

akurah
May 8th, 2017, 08:30 PM

I...
uh..
I get mine at the dollar store...
:run:

Groovy Granny
May 8th, 2017, 08:50 PM

https://threddies.com/collections/scrunchies

https://www.etsy.com/shop/threddies?section_id=14961727

Rebeccalaurenxx
May 8th, 2017, 09:07 PM
I feel like im the only person here that absolutely hates scrunchies lol and i did not grow up in the 80s or 90s, sure i was born in 93 but i wasnt forced to wear them growing up so thats not why i dont like them, i just really dont.

Dark40
May 8th, 2017, 09:12 PM
I love scrunchies! Especially, the silky ones. I love all of the beautiful colors that are out there like black, purple, red, white, yellow, and pink.

Aredhel
May 8th, 2017, 10:10 PM
Making chainmail is no easy feat, I'm sure! Doing anything creative with your hands takes patience and talent. I look forward to seeing photos of your work! :)

And I yours, if you get around to designing that awesome dress!:flower:

moon_witch
May 8th, 2017, 11:02 PM
I...
uh..

I just bought some from the dollar store last week :agree:

lapushka
May 9th, 2017, 07:06 AM
I...
uh..

They have these at the dollar store where you guys are! You guys are so lucky!!! :thumbsup:

I still have a whole basket full (big basket) of my scrunchies of the 80s (never got rid of them, I still have barrettes from the 80s too, well the few that didn't "bust" on me :lol:), so thankfully I have enough. :)

Hay_jules
May 9th, 2017, 07:57 AM
They have these at the dollar store where you guys are! You guys are so lucky!!! :thumbsup:

I still have a whole basket full (big basket) of my scrunchies of the 80s (never got rid of them, I still have barrettes from the 80s too, well the few that didn't "bust" on me :lol:), so thankfully I have enough. :)

I wish i had kept my basket of scrunchies, I still use the same basket for hair notions but the scrunchie collection was given the heave ho. I wish I'd kept my banana clips too.

Chromis
May 9th, 2017, 09:37 AM
I feel like im the only person here that absolutely hates scrunchies lol and i did not grow up in the 80s or 90s, sure i was born in 93 but i wasnt forced to wear them growing up so thats not why i dont like them, i just really dont.

I loathe them and do in fact think they look frumpy. Also, I had a ton of damage from them back in the day no matter what material they were! Buns with them never held and ponytails gave me such crazy tangles and damage and my hair was always everywhere. Blech! I own one, which is used only to trim my hair (I slide it down and snip off the last cm, much faster and easier that way at this length!)

That said, I get to decide what is frumpy on me, you can decide what is frumpy on you. I don't give a fig what other people are wearing. I also hate pants and turtlenecks, but I don't expect everyone else to suddenly stop wearing them. I meanwhile am fond of rocking socks and Birkenstocks, which is a decided fashion no-no.

Decoy24601
May 9th, 2017, 09:39 AM
I guess what it really comes down to is if it fits your personal sense of style. I like them, but I used to hate the way scrunchies look. I don't really care what other people use to secure their hair though in terms of looks.

akurah
May 9th, 2017, 10:31 AM
I generally only use them at the gym myself, specifically when I want my hair to be in a braided ponytail high on the sxalp instead of the nape

Anje
May 9th, 2017, 01:28 PM
First, I wouldn't worry about a 13-year-old episode of Sex and the City saying that something is out of fashion. Bit late for that -- it's probably come in and gone out of style with variations at least twice since then. And I'm sure the show would have choice things to say about how any of us wear our hair, too, since staying longhaired is rarely the most in-the-moment fashion choice.

Now, I'll say that I've had damage from wearing too many ponytails and scrunchies alone never were able to support the weight of my hair without slipping. So I only wore them as decoration over a functional ponytail elastic, and I phased them out somewhere before I swore off my permapony as too damaging to continue. But if they work for you, they work for you. Wear what you like with pride. Start trends instead of following them. Or don't. It's about what works for you, in any case.

Hairkay
May 9th, 2017, 01:33 PM
I loathe them and do in fact think they look frumpy. Also, I had a ton of damage from them back in the day no matter what material they were! Buns with them never held and ponytails gave me such crazy tangles and damage and my hair was always everywhere. Blech! I own one, which is used only to trim my hair (I slide it down and snip off the last cm, much faster and easier that way at this length!)

That said, I get to decide what is frumpy on me, you can decide what is frumpy on you. I don't give a fig what other people are wearing. I also hate pants and turtlenecks, but I don't expect everyone else to suddenly stop wearing them. I meanwhile am fond of rocking socks and Birkenstocks, which is a decided fashion no-no.

I had to look that up,:laugh: . I grew up hearing all sort of horrid nick names for leather sandals and socks. When I was in aged 8-16 mother decided it best to deal with our wide feet by just getting us Clarks leather sandals. They looked something like this only she'd get it in either cream/tan or white.
https://www.clarks.co.uk/c/Ferni-Fame/p/26122884?CAWELAID=720015910000014634&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=36639367560&CATCI=pla-76095651830&cm_mmc=PPC_SHOP_google-_-Shopping%20-%20Womens%20-%20Trademark-_-Shopping%20-%20Womens%20-%20Trademark-_-na&gclid=CjsKDwjw0cXIBRCxjqnE3K3sHhIkAL1LezRhyr4fWM3b Oq3sdU2u-hcSR0UiERClF91kQQqwndfaGgKLZPD_BwE

Of course since we lived in the tropics we didn't use socks with it. For every church day and formal event this is what we wore. Sis and I still think we're a bit traumatised from that.

I adore scrunchies and make my own sometimes. Satin stuff work best for my hair. I wouldn't touch velvet ones and it's best to leave the cotton ones alone.

Chromis
May 9th, 2017, 02:10 PM
Haha, Clarks are not wide enough for me! That is why I do Birkenstocks actually is ultra wide feet. Sometimes in the middle of summer I wear them alone, but especially in spring and fall, it is not quite sandal season, but my feet yearn to breath after being in boots all winter! Where I am from though, this is a year-round choice since summer is not hot and winter is not so cold (plus I can show off my pretty handknit socks):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6gzsBhZrE8

I had to look that up,:laugh: . I grew up hearing all sort of horrid nick names for leather sandals and socks. When I was in aged 8-16 mother decided it best to deal with our wide feet by just getting us Clarks leather sandals. They looked something like this only she'd get it in either cream/tan or white.
https://www.clarks.co.uk/c/Ferni-Fame/p/26122884?CAWELAID=720015910000014634&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=36639367560&CATCI=pla-76095651830&cm_mmc=PPC_SHOP_google-_-Shopping%20-%20Womens%20-%20Trademark-_-Shopping%20-%20Womens%20-%20Trademark-_-na&gclid=CjsKDwjw0cXIBRCxjqnE3K3sHhIkAL1LezRhyr4fWM3b Oq3sdU2u-hcSR0UiERClF91kQQqwndfaGgKLZPD_BwE

Of course since we lived in the tropics we didn't use socks with it. For every church day and formal event this is what we wore. Sis and I still think we're a bit traumatised from that.

I adore scrunchies and make my own sometimes. Satin stuff work best for my hair. I wouldn't touch velvet ones and it's best to leave the cotton ones alone.

luvlonghair75
May 9th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Cotton scrunchies work best for my hair. The satin ones slip out way too easily. I don't keep up with trends. I just do what works for me.

sarahthegemini
May 9th, 2017, 02:54 PM
I remember being obsessed with scrunchies when I was about 11 or 12? I remember Claire's Accessories used to have a huge wall of scrunchies - velvet, sparkly, polka dot, silky. Oh my word I wish I still had them. Even tho they'd slip out of my hair in 3 seconds flat.

Rebeccalaurenxx
May 9th, 2017, 05:02 PM

I too think that scrunchies look frumpy. But I also think hair bonnets look frumpy along with most hair sticks. Took me a long while to enjoy wearing hair sticks but after awhile I got real bothered and now I only really use spin pins and elastic, and use the sticks after showering cause they slip in and out the easiest on my wet hair... But. What I like tends to not be the conventional LHC preference so I tend to not think too much about it. I like socks with sandals too 😆 I mostly only wear my sandals with black socks though. Black socks only. Lmao.

I'm pretty anal when it comes to what I wear.

Chromis
May 9th, 2017, 08:10 PM
I love hairsticks and forks. Absolutely love them. Hate Flexi-8's though and how they look (some of the handmade ones here do look nicer, but still not my style I find). Some here hate how Ficcares look, which my favourites! Lots of people, lots of options, something for everyone!

Mostly though, I came to infect other people with the terrible earworm your post gave me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AOeL-QgDco

This threadjacking has been brought to you by the power of quail and probably too much caffeine :misskim:

I too think that scrunchies look frumpy. But I also think hair bonnets look frumpy along with most hair sticks. Took me a long while to enjoy wearing hair sticks but after awhile I got real bothered and now I only really use spin pins and elastic, and use the sticks after showering cause they slip in and out the easiest on my wet hair... But. What I like tends to not be the conventional LHC preference so I tend to not think too much about it. I like socks with sandals too �� I mostly only wear my sandals with black socks though. Black socks only. Lmao.

I'm pretty anal when it comes to what I wear.

Higginsomethin
May 9th, 2017, 09:02 PM
I wear a silk scrunchie. It's really comfortable and gentle on my hair, and it doesn't slip or slide if I make sure to wear it tightly enough around my hair. It's made out of kimono silk. I think it looks kinda fancy. Idk I feel like it would depend on what you wore your scrunchie with and what the scrunchie looked like, but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter as long as you like them.

JanePaul
May 9th, 2017, 11:28 PM
I am another scrunchie wearer as well. My style is a little bit funky though so people might not think what I wear is in anyway :cool: I think they look nice on everyone and they're nostalgic.